Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Hollycow! Relocating from FL to Michigan! (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hollycow! Relocating from FL to Michigan! by Alex4mula
Started on: 08-12-2016 05:39 PM
Replies: 44 (864 views)
Last post by: Alex4mula on 09-28-2016 09:48 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got new job at Dearborn, MI so I will be relocating from S. FL next month. And I am taking the Fiero with me I know there should be thousands of car related stuff up there around Motor City and I am looking forward to it. Since I won't be able to do much boating there I know I will have more time to enjoy the car stuff. Hopefully I could find a nice active Fiero club to join too. I am excited
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Enchanted Mitten, and good luck with the new job. Now, one thing you need to know about Michigan is that it has the most shoreline of any state, so boating isn't really an issue if it's your thing. The season is shorter, but water isn't an issue.

Bob
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our first winter will be a little shock to your system.
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see rust in your future!
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh ya, don't drive anything you want to keep for more than 5yrs in the Michigan winter.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ja! Yes 1st winter will be a huge shock for me. Rust for sure but not on the Fiero
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Michigan has a lot of lakes and rivers, plus the Great Lakes
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the mitten. Enjoy the first winter. I've lived here my entire life and I'm still not a fan of winter.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That's gonna be a hell of a shock!
All kidding aside, I wish you the best with your relocation.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Wow! That's gonna be a hell of a shock!
All kidding aside, I wish you the best with your relocation.

Thanks Can't wait to have a picture of the Fiero next to one of the nice big lakes. Just to depart from the Atlantic
luvfierosforever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the mitten and the birthplace of the Fiero. Bring the boat, Great Lakes state for a reason! You'll love it! No salt, no sharks! Ok, salt on the roads...

[This message has been edited by luvfierosforever (edited 08-12-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
luvfierosforever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2016 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

luvfierosforever

75 posts
Member since Apr 2015
Welcome to the mitten and the birthplace of the Fiero. Bring the boat, Great Lakes state for a reason! You'll love it! No salt, no sharks!
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Welcome to the Enchanted Mitten, and good luck with the new job. Now, one thing you need to know about Michigan is that it has the most shoreline of any state, so boating isn't really an issue if it's your thing. The season is shorter, but water isn't an issue.

Bob

Alaska has been a state since 1959 and has 10x (almost exactly) more shoreline than Michigan. Just thought you should know
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deloreanant:

Alaska has been a state since 1959 and has 10x (almost exactly) more shoreline than Michigan. Just thought you should know

Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline in the US and the second longest coast line in the US next to Alaska. World Book Encyclopedia (v.13, p.500 of the 2000 edition) states that Michigan's shoreline, at 3,288 miles is "more than any other state except Alaska.

OK, bow to Alaska...

Bob
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deloreanant:

No thanks, Michigan winters are bad enough. Although the last couple winters Nome has had warmer winter weather than us.
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Michigan is also way closer than Alaska. At least for most of us. And the lakes are just amazing. It's unbelievable to think they aren't oceans when you're standing next to them.

Originally posted by RCR:

Michigan has the longest freshwater coastline in the US and the second longest coast line in the US next to Alaska. World Book Encyclopedia (v.13, p.500 of the 2000 edition) states that Michigan's shoreline, at 3,288 miles is "more than any other state except Alaska.

OK, bow to Alaska...

Bob

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow ! 😟 Hate to see you leave the sunshine state. You guys are getting a good one ! Good luck Alex !
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome new neighbor
mafv8

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mafv8Send a Private Message to mafv8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good to see another V8 Fiero in the motor city

------------------
84SE, aero body, 4 speed and an injected 355 V8

pgackeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgackemanSend a Private Message to pgackemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dude, you gotta visit Fieros Forever, Michigan: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/000011.html

The place is just Northwest of Saginaw.

Enjoy the cherries.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Wow ! 😟 Hate to see you leave the sunshine state. You guys are getting a good one ! Good luck Alex !

Thanks

Originally posted by mafv8:

good to see another V8 Fiero in the motor city

I guess I'll be just another V8 rumbling car at Motor City. I know there should be so many nice cool rides there.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2016 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was born in Michigan, moved to Florida to escape the winters.

If you get a chance, check out Frankenmuth... especially around Christmas time. Also, look up the Huckleberry Railroad.
pgackeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pgackemanSend a Private Message to pgackemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What will you be doing in Dearborn? Designing a new Fiero???????

Look out for trolls. non-UP'ers

[This message has been edited by pgackeman (edited 08-14-2016).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best wishes with the relo! If you don't have one yet, look into getting a 4x4 or AWD vehicle for the winter.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to Michigan, it is a beautiful state.

Dearborn? Do you speak Arabic?

Sorry on the east side, waaayyyy to urban and crowded.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgackeman:

What will you be doing in Dearborn? Designing a new Fiero???????

Look out for trolls. non-UP'ers

Ja! No. Just making sure all car SW is designed properly.

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Welcome to Michigan, it is a beautiful state.

Dearborn? Do you speak Arabic?

Sorry on the east side, waaayyyy to urban and crowded.

I said I will work at Dearborn. Not live there. Right now we are looking at Canton & Novi. Kids schools are the priority.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 08-14-2016).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm living in Canton again (unfortunately), attended the public schools here 3-9th grades, I wouldn't send my kids there unless you want them to turn out like Jesse Pinkman. Not sure what the term for that is, but I've seen kids around here, still look and act the same way as they did in the 90's.

Lots of subdivisions of $300,000 houses that all look alike, everyone trying to 'keep up with the Jonses' middle class. Two of every big box store, one set on Ford, the other on Michigan Ave.

Check out Novi, South Lyon, Farmington Hills, Grosse Point if you can afford it.
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Alex, congrats on the new job in Michigan! Your job is going to be hugely important over the next few years as software and security becomes the focal point. I used to live in Novi, so I can vouch that that's a good area to look at (I enjoyed the area north of the highway a bit more, Novi Rd is being paved so that's nice). The South Lyon area has very hard water (iron/calcium) and also a rough commute to Dearborn. I'm living in Royal Oak right now, which is along the Woodward corridor. When you get here, a few of us Fiero guys should buy you a beer and try to impart some wisdom of how SE Michigan is different than the rest of the world! Again, congrats!

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver - Under the knife
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2016 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I'm living in Canton again (unfortunately), attended the public schools here 3-9th grades, I wouldn't send my kids there unless you want them to turn out like Jesse Pinkman. Not sure what the term for that is, but I've seen kids around here, still look and act the same way as they did in the 90's.

Lots of subdivisions of $300,000 houses that all look alike, everyone trying to 'keep up with the Jonses' middle class. Two of every big box store, one set on Ford, the other on Michigan Ave.

Check out Novi, South Lyon, Farmington Hills, Grosse Point if you can afford it.

Grosse Point looks nice but not sure they will allow a boat at the back yard or work on a car there. South Lyon is too far. Thanks.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I lived in Taylor MI for a few years in the mid 90s. Next to Dearborn. Great people there. I enjoyed it. Used to hit some shows in the area but never did the Woodword cruise. That's still on my list.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After living in upstate NY for most of my life (except for time off for military service) I move to the warm state of Florida within two years after my retirement. Having winter weather anytime from October to April was enough for me. I even had a boat at my cottage on Lake Ontario which was a PITA being able to use it maybe five months out of the year. I did discover having two residences to maintain was not twice the fun.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTFieroGT87:

Hey Alex, congrats on the new job in Michigan! Your job is going to be hugely important over the next few years as software and security becomes the focal point. I used to live in Novi, so I can vouch that that's a good area to look at (I enjoyed the area north of the highway a bit more, Novi Rd is being paved so that's nice). The South Lyon area has very hard water (iron/calcium) and also a rough commute to Dearborn. I'm living in Royal Oak right now, which is along the Woodward corridor. When you get here, a few of us Fiero guys should buy you a beer and try to impart some wisdom of how SE Michigan is different than the rest of the world! Again, congrats!

My son lives in Royal Oak just north of the south city limits.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Try out by the Pontaic/Oakland airport. Nice area and Smartaxle lives out there.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2016 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's about 2 1/2 hours from Fort Wayne. You should come and check out some of the car shows and I hear the museum is nice.
Haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

6 months, haven't really experienced a true winter in 30 years. Brrrr we will see.

Good luck with your relocation.
pgackeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgackemanSend a Private Message to pgackemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is all the software development and penetration testing for the Big 3 performed in the Dearborn, MI area?

Is any of it tele-work?
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2016 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get you a "beater" to drive in the Winter. You definitely don't want to drive your Fiero on that salt.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgackeman:

Is all the software development and penetration testing for the Big 3 performed in the Dearborn, MI area?

Is any of it tele-work?

Seems like no tele-work at Ford. I asked. LAst 10yrs I worked from home. But I got tired of that. Not as easy as it sounds.

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Get you a "beater" to drive in the Winter. You definitely don't want to drive your Fiero on that salt.

Fiero is show/joy ride. I have driven it maybe 10 times on last three years down here since I started boating/fishing. But I know I will use it more up there attending car shows, etc. once the chilly weather (<70° to me) begins.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once you get into MI, take a drive up north.... that way you can appreciate the Great Lakes.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yesterday I registered the Fiero and drove it for the firt time in over a year. What a nice feeling Then today I drove about 13 miles on some slow traffic and stopped at a gas station to fill it up. Then it didn't want to start Checked the basics and after a while it started. Drove directly home (drove normal) and parked it. Tried to start it right there again and same thing. Seems heat related. Will need to diagnose before my next trip.

PS: Some roads suck really bad here :O
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i am originally from Ohio and thought the roads really sucked there,......until i went to michigan ! Holy smokes they were worse !
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock