Started on: 02-15-2011 01:58 AM
Replies: 104
Last post by: 355Fiero on 09-03-2013 07:11 PM
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Did this get resolved?
IP: Logged
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
The shipping company was being a big PITA (surprise surprise) to Pat then they hadn't gotten back to him. He then told me that he is sending me a check for reimbursement. When I asked if that included the crate and shipping costs, he didn't reply, and he's on vacation now. He also told me that they have a very big job that will last until the end of November so I can talk to him then about my options.
I'm very disappointed, and I hope I get ALL of my money back, considering that I did NOTHING wrong. We'll see.

I won't be ordering more.

I'm not going to advise anyone on what they should decide on at this point, but take that for what you will. :/ I really hope 355Fiero has already gotten his or does very soon. He deserves to have this work out for him.
Anyone want a fiberglass extended lower tray? Or a bad luck Fiero?
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like 355Fiero is an honest guy caught in the middle of circumstances beyond his control. He did mention to me that if I wanted a windshield or two, that I should deal directly with the windshield company, effectively taking him out of the liability loop. Probably a smart move on his behalf given your experience. I sure do like the idea of the extended windshield, it's too bad your experience has thrown some cold water on the idea. If I ordered one (or two) they would be travelling even further for me than they did for you. And yet windsheilds get shipped across the country all the time with no problems.
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys;

I am so sorry this happened. I really hope that Steve gets all his money back from Pat as this is really the way to do business not take money for no error on the customer's part. I would be very surprised if Pat takes any more orders anyway given the fiasco with the shipping.

I haven't received my screens yet but I also haven't really needed them yet as my 308 replica is using the original template screen for now to get everything cut up and in place. I am trying to get mine out for paint here soon but I always find one more thing to do....

I will be heading over to Vancouver in early December now for another appointment so I plan to get Pat to have the screens ready for then.

t is terrible but I am not sure I would recommend anyone purchasing an extended screen that has to be shipped either..... I have to think there were several things that came into play since the template I used for the project was actually:

Built in Australia along with 20-30 odd others
Shipped across the Pacific on a freighter
Landed in Cali and shipped to Georgia
Screens then divided out and shipped all over the US.
I got mine from a guy in Prince Edward Island and he shipped to my brother's in Ottawa and my brother drove it across Canada to Calgary when he moved out this way.
I then drove it out to Victoria. This screen has more miles on it than some cars will drive in their life times and it is still in one piece......

Blooze;

If you still want an extended screen, I might recommend you talk to Mario then as the cut down Sebring screen fits fairly well into the Fiero frame and uses the same extended tray that I sent Steve.

Sorry that this isn't working out for everyone. Certainly had grander intentions and dreams for the Fiero hobby of this working when I started.

Cheers
Don
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I just received the check from Pat, and it is only for the glass, not the shipping and crate costs (even though he previously admitted that none of this was my fault).. No wonder he didn't reply when I asked about it.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2011 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
This sucks about the glass.

But since you have more time now: Track your gas mileage now, and when you do the extended windshield. I'm curious if it changes, and in which direction (if at all).
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Even though the glass is broken, could you hold it up on the hood of the Fiero, so we can see the curvature?
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Yes, I can still do that since I haven't gotten rid of them yet. I'm waiting on a buyer to come pick up another of my cars next month so with the extra room I'll be able to do it then. Shortly thereafter the broken glass has to go (I'll give one or both to anyone who is willing to pick it/them up before they head off to the dump).
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2011 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Yes, I can still do that since I haven't gotten rid of them yet. I'm waiting on a buyer to come pick up another of my cars next month so with the extra room I'll be able to do it then. Shortly thereafter the broken glass has to go (I'll give one or both to anyone who is willing to pick it/them up before they head off to the dump).

That would be great, thank you!

Try to get as many shots as you can, as this may be as close as we've ever gotten to an extended windshield. The end of an era so to speak.

I'm assuming both windshields are shattered into tiny pieces held together by the laminate. (or are sections unbroken) - Doesn't really matter, just curiosity.

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2011 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh that sucks Steve......

Haven't got my two screens yet either. Called Pat last week and he has one ready but the other one was broken by his laminating company... has to make a new one. He has promised mine for Dec 10th weekend when I am over on the Mainland.

No good deed goes unpunished. I am truly sorry you did not get full resolution buddy.

I'll talk to Pat when I go over and find out what the deal is.

This whole setup has not gone well at all.

Sorry
Don
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2011 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Yea it's sad, the Fiero/Kit car gods haven't been kind to us on the windshield project.

Hopefully this will eventually have a happy (installed) conclusion.

Don, Could the glass thickness have been a problem? Is it thinner than it should be, hence the cracking of the glass? Did they just copy the AD windshield exactly?
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Anything? pics?
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I took these awhile back but hadn't got around to uploading them until now, I've been happily distracted modding my new '12 Camaro SS that came out of my '10 Camaro V6 being totaled by a red light runner. Sorry for the delay.

I still love the idea, but I'd recommend somebody else replicating these if anyone is serious about doing it.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Here's a direct comparison with the stock windshield:

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 03-24-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Looks really good, thanks for the pics.
Does it look like it covers up all the vent intakes?

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
You're welcome.

Just about. What you see is what you get.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Made a quick animated gif to better compare side-by-side.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Same animation but slower.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
I'm really happy to see that the sunroof would still fit up front.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2012 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
So what are your plans?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2012 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

So what are your plans?

I'm torn between buying one of the AD windshield offered on madmechanics from time to time, or doing the Macgyver Breeze windshield option. There are threads on www.madmechanics.com that show how to cut a windshield with a rotary. I'm considering trying it myself with a junkyard windshield and see if that's possible.
Here's the video:

I heard it's hard to be patient, not lean on the windshield, and be ready to take all day. Wonder how much cheap windshields are at junk yards?
PFF
System Bot
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2012 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump for anyone that is still looking to do this conversion.

I ended up getting one screen from the fellow up here and you all see that Altrbo was not handled well by the supplier.

That avenue is dead.

I have recently been in touch with a fellow that bought 6 of the original curved screens back in 2004 in our original purchase. He lives just out of Philadelphia so anyone on that side wanting one of these to do a project can go get it personally so Jo worries about broken screens in shipping.

If anyone is interested in talking to the fellow who actually wants to buy one rather than taking ip a bunch of his time, pm me yiur contact info and will send it off to him for him to contact you.

Cheers
Don
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Just an update on the six windshields that Don mentioned were for sale above; they have all been snatched up: 2 by ALLTRBO, 2 by Yarmouth Fiero, and 2 by me. All but yet another one of ALLTRBO's made it to their destinations intact. I think he's cursed.
Bozzie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BozzieSend a Private Message to BozzieDirect Link to This Post
So........is there a way to do this ?

355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
For what I know now, there are no longer any of these extended screens available. There may be a few in storage or garages somewhere but as far as I know, these are done. The last ones I knew about were bought by Blozz, Yarmouth and ALTRBO.

The other way to do this extension, not as clean but still very close is to use a mid 90's coupe Sebring screen. The bottom is a slightly different shape and pushes the bottom out about an extra 1/2" if I remember. The sides of the screen on a a-pillars also curve outward a small amount. Again,. about1/2" IIRC. You can place the Sebring screen in the Fiero screen opening and see where you would need to add in some duraglas or shape a new mounting plate for the a-pillar portions to get the screen in the right place. Then you need to shape the a-pillar a bit.

That is about the next best fitting to the Fiero for a more curved screen that I know of. There was one fellow replica builder doing a 430 replace that cut down a screen and shaped the pillars and made a new cowl plate but he is the only one I know of that was successful cutting down the screen. I can't remember what screen he used but it wasn't the Sebring screen and he had to cut a bit off the sides and bottom.

If I were to do this again ( and I won't be as I acquired a Lambo Countach project instead), I would use the Sebring screen and adjust the Fiero pillars to fit that one. Readily available and not horrendously expensive.

Good luck with the search.
Don

Edit: Ah yes, Austrian Import showed the Breeze windshield work over on MadMechanics that was put into the 430 replica.

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 09-03-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock