Extended Windshield for Fieros by 355Fiero
Started on: 02-15-2011 01:58 AM
Replies: 104
Last post by: 355Fiero on 09-03-2013 07:11 PM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Well, while the idea of the group buy is dead, I hope the idea of extended windshields will live on.

Thanks for trying 355Fiero.
IP: Logged
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Don for trying!!!

Unfortunately this reminds me of the saying “No good deed goes unpunished”.

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
I didn't send 355Fiero any PM's or make any comments other than the one I said about it being obvious he wasn't planning on following through with this. I do find it odd that he didn't seem to answer some of the questions, like mine for example, then excluded us from being in on the buy. I'm also curious why he didn't actually post the manufacturer info after saying twice that he would (unless I missed it somehow). Oh well, good luck ALLTRBO, I hope his follow through is better in real life than it has been here.
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
He's following through just fine outside of this thread so far, and he also has two respected forum members vouching for him (that's not the be-all end-all, but it helps).

It's kind of ironic that he didn't (doesn't) want to deal with bad attitudes, flaky people, and unreasonable expectations (I'm not talking about everything or everyone, most were/are valid inquiries) which is why he decided not to go further with a group buy I think, then a lot of people fully validated his concerns simply because he decided not to go further with a group buy. I do understand that many good intentioned people on this forum have screwed people over on small and large scales so people are already skeptical (as am I), but this hasn't been even close to any of that. No one has lost a single thing or even close to it, and I wouldn't have been hurt if he decided not to get back to me initially, because before I chimed in he clearly stated that he wasn't interested anymore. Disappointed for sure, but not upset. He didn't even say "I'm definitely doing a group buy" then back out, he said he was garnering interest here to see if it would be worthwhile.

Like I already stated, he didn't give the forum much of any time, but keep in mind, he might have had similar issues on the other forum that we aren't seeing and got fed up with other people already (I know I couldn't deal with a group buy!). By the numbers he mentioned, it appears that people had backed out of some windshields that were previously commited even before he started this thread (I could be mistaken).

Whatever anyone thinks of his decision to kill his idea rather quickly, no one has any reason to be upset IMO, he's been nothing but forthcoming.

He didn't mention the name of the manufacturer because no one has asked. He said he'd tell you if you ask. Simple enough. Personally, I wouldn't even want to tell people until after I completed the initial buy with the company to avoid confusion and frustration on their part.

I really don't see why this is more of an issue than "Wow, that would have been cool but he changed his mind pretty quickly, oh well." No harm, no foul.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 03-01-2011).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Allturbo; keep me in the loop if you don't mind... This is a pretty awesome mod.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2011 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Sure thing. I'll let everyone know how it all works out.
Moran4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Moran4x4Send a Private Message to Moran4x4Direct Link to This Post
Go on Ebay.....You will find an extended windshield for sale...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...eName=STRK:MESELX:IT

This can be an option...

Thanks

Mario
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Ahh, Mario, Don was waiting for you to get back to him last he updated me, he's been waiting to see if your run was a better option for us (he did get the quotes, shipping, etc. from the company near him). I guess you have these in your possession right now? If so, and they're DOT approved, this is definitely the way to go for me, and others too! Does Don know about this now?

Thanks for the heads up.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 04-05-2011).]

Moran4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Moran4x4Send a Private Message to Moran4x4Direct Link to This Post
The gap is max 1/4 inch....I will post soon pics of those different moulding old style and new style.......
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2011 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification.

As a mention to the people who are subscribed to this thread and to keep things from having to be posted twice... Mario started his own for sale thread located here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/056393.html
Moran4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2011 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Moran4x4Send a Private Message to Moran4x4Direct Link to This Post
Those are the pics.......You will see the gap all around and mounted with the new style moulding with a 3/8 flap...Looks is great.....I will try it now with a new style moulding with a 1/4 flap..and will see the best fit.

http://img818.imageshack.us/i/003dq.jpg/

http://img694.imageshack.us/i/004mgn.jpg/

http://img19.imageshack.us/i/005gfp.jpg/

http://img689.imageshack.us...lmouldingst100b.jpg/

http://img535.imageshack.us/i/008psb.jpg/

http://img820.imageshack.us/i/006fu.jpg/

http://img716.imageshack.us/i/007vsv.jpg/

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/009nnx.jpg/

Mario
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mario.

I'm glad to see that the extended windshield idea isn't dead yet. Now if I could just see the rest of the puzzle (i.e.: a tray for the bottom to fit the new windshield, and maybe a rough print out cutting template, so I could lay it on a stock Fiero hood and see how much needs to be cut, etc.) I may even jump on this one.

One of the main disappointments of Don's windshield is a lack of replacements should anything happen. A 48hour window replacement (+shipping time) with Mario's windows is totally acceptable.

Could someone elaborate on the differences between Don's setup and Mario's Sebring windshield?
* I understand Mario's screen is 1/4" smaller. - why btw? Is it noticeable once it's installed?
* What's the difference in curvature? - Size? Glass quality?

Could someone photoshop what an extended windshield would look like on an otherwise stock Fiero? (I have a hard time visualizing it on a Ferrari body, Ferrari hood, etc.)

Moran4x4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Moran4x4Send a Private Message to Moran4x4Direct Link to This Post
Ok let me explain..
You need that 1/4 gap to install the windshield moulding..If you go on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...&hash=item3a64d787c3

You will see the instalation...The top lays perfect flat....The A pillard from top they start flat, they comes 1/8 outin the middle and at the bottom corner comes in 1/8 .......Most kits guys use the old style large almost 1 inch moulding....So this gives you a not as good fit...They have to put bondo and gvies a funny look.....By using new style moulding, it`s give a up to date look and gives you a almost perfect fit....but looks perfect.....That`s the art of cheating....
If you want send me a pm , I will send you the pics and you will be able to judge by yourself.
Today I met Cowans from Madmecanics forum and we lay down a template on his Koenig Testarossa.....The fit was better than the Winshield he had on.

The way we did it .....We have scan a standard Fiero windshield to use the real dimension of the top and A pillard.

Hopes that my passion help others.

Thanks

Mario
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Mario, where in CA are you located? Once I'm ready to buy a windshield I could just come by and pick it up, therefore reducing risk and cost of shipping.

So if I understand correctly, you cut the Sebring windshield to shape? Are there any other modern windshields that you cold use? (maybe with more curvature, or extended more/less?

Do you offer the fiberglass tray for the bottom of the windshield, or do you know a vendor who does?

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Any news on the extended windshields?
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure about Mario's cut-down Sebring windshields, but the custom run of 5 that 355Fiero put together is underway. Two of them have been made and are waiting to be laminated, the others will be soon. The glass laminating company that they work with had a fire after a relocation so they were set back, but up and running again. Hopefully I'll have mine in hand within a month.

If anyone else wants these custom ones made that fit the top and sides of the windshield frame perfectly I'd still think it possible to contact the glass company and have them make some more since they are tooled up for it now.
I still plan on giving you guys a review and pics when I get mine in.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
It's been a few months. Any news on extended windshields?
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2011 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey folks;

I was just trolling around looking for a reason to not do some documentation at work and saw this thread back up at the top.

I just called the glass company this morning, actually, and was going to update ALTRBO and the other fellow that went in on the buy with me. The first two screens finally went out to lamination yesterday so everything is WAY slower compared to my original expectations but still proceeding. The glass guy has had some terrible luck recently between some personal items as well as his laminating supplier's problems. He is back on track now though and catching up to all his back orders. The glass guy said I should be able to go see and approve the first two in a couple weeks max and then the rest of the run can be done.

I hope to be able to get everything squared away with the first batch run in the next month or so get some pics up here along with ALTRBO's and I will post the company's name and address and contact info here so anyone can go talk to him directly and set up.

Mario's windshield is also an excellent option and quite a bit cheaper than this one as it uses more readily available screens cut down. There is a small gap between the glass and the a-pillar screen mounting flange but it was covered up very well with the trim piece and the gap is easily filled with window mounting glue so no issue for cracking or anything in the future. The tray Mario has is the exact same tray I have as they both came from an old, now defunct, kitcar company names CK3 out of Calgary. I got the tray mould from a fellow that got the mould directly from CK3. There is also another guy out East that has a slightly different mould from another kitcar company but exactly the same lower window shape so everything fits just fine. His mould is also better than the one I have. There is more work to do with my extended piece than with his. I don't know if he come around Pennock's or not but he is fairly active over on madmechanics.

Since fist going down this road with the custom screen build, I have ended up stopping my 355 project build and gone a different direction. I have since purchased a Lamborghini Countach to build on what was the 355 frame. Some work to do to stretch it a couple more inches but not an issue. The Countach is the car I have always REALLY wanted so I made the call to stop the 355 which isn't my dream car and do the Countach with as much of the 355 frame and parts as I can. I will be finalizing my 308 rebuild shortly with this extended screen and one spare and I will have a second screen available for ale since I won't be needing it any more. I have a fellow interested in the screen already but if it doesn't pan out, I will post in the Mall and over on the kitcar forum as a sale.

I think ALTRBO will be happy with his screens and I will get the info out to others once we confirm it will all work out. I don't want to send people down a turkey trail to somewhere that doesn't give them a good result and experience.

Only money spent by anyone so far is by me so I am still comfortable no one has been rooked or hard done by.

As for the amount of front hood to be taken out, my guess is you will take out about 7" in the centre and it curves around to match up with the stock hood side ends so mostly the material taken away is where the stock Fiero hood cutout for windshield wipers is and some beside it. If you look at your hood and where the stock hood mounting latch is, that is about how much gets taken away with the extended screen. I haven't measured the difference or anything but that is about where the extended screen comes to. It pretty much covers the entire cowl at the centre location. I have my extended cowl piece at the house now so I can take a pic and figure out how to upload pics here. I had cut the extension so that it fit right on top of the original Fiero screen location with the same shape and then the extension goes out from there. That will give you a good idea of how much it goes out. I don't have ready access to the Fiero just yet to show you as my 308 still have my original screen in it but I can try to lay it down on the cowl area to try to show the difference.

I'll also post updates here once I get to see the screens.

I do say Mario's option is a great one as well for those not wanting to wait for this to finish up.

Cheers
Don
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2011 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. Don't let that stop you. You can either add images hosted somewhere else with the

[ IMG ] {insert image here [ / IMG ] tags. (remove the spaces within the tag for it to work.) Or you can upload with the PFF image uploader. (hopefully someone else can chime in on how to use the PFF image host, as I've always used external hosts myself)
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
All;

It has been a long journey but the first two screens have been built and are on their way to ALLTRBO. I said I would post the glass maker's info once I was sure it would all work out and that will be below. Not sure how to post pics here so I put the pics up on my Photobucket site and will link them below.

I am very happy with the glass. The end results were: (No warranty implied or supplied. These are pics I took of the glass so you can make your own minds upon whether to do anything with the glass bender. I have no connection to him except for giving him money to build me 2 screens and two others are giving him money to build them screens. I will not be involved in any other dealings between anyone and the bender.)

- a clear glass, ends up having a slight green tint to it as that is normal.
- No side blackout strips as those were very expensive for the glass bender to put on so we opted to not do them. I will be taking measurements of my template screen and will post the widths etc. here for anyone that wants to use them. The way to prep the glass is to get a product from Sika that is called a black glass primer. I don't have the actual name and product number at work with me so I will find it at home and post once I find it. The primer strip will need to be painted on by the purchaser. If you go to your paint supplier or glass shop and ask for the glass adhesion primer, they should be able to direct you to the right stuff as well.
- There is no smoked section at the top of the screen like you see on the production cars. Again the cost to get that was prohibitive for the glass bender as he doesn't do enough volume with his suppliers for items like that.

Again, I am very happy with the way this turned out for myself and hopefully, they are up to ALLTRBO's expectations. I now have 3 screens I can use on my two projects with one spare for any future problems. I talked to the glass bender and he agreed to let me post his info on here and he would field any calls or inquiries.

Please be advised though that he knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the actual application of the screen to the Fieros so asking him anything about how ot install it or what it might be like will do no good as he won't know. All he does is bend the glass and get them DOT laminated and crate and ship them. Nothing more.

The glass bender contact info is:

Pat Healey
Coastal Curved Glass
Unit 101 - 1875 Broadway Street
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
604 944-7118

Feel free to call him up and get more info on the glass itself. He DOES NOT have the extended tray for the bottom of the Fiero windshield. I have the mould for that and can make folks some if required. There is also another fellow with an extended tray out on the East Coast US but I have not heard from him a long time so not sure he is still doing fiberglass replica stuff.

ALLTRBO is getting 2 screens (the ones pictured actually) so he promised to give his comments back to the forum about the glass and the tray so maybe wait until he gets everything and he can post his impressions. Again, I am very satisfied with the results and will be using these I leave it to everyone else to make their own minds up from here on. I will be putting the screen into my Ferrari 308 replica project over the next month or so so.

BTW: These extended screens will not work in a chop top. The bottom edge would site way too high with the frame raked back as far as it goes on chop tops.

$750.00 CDN each screen
$75.00 CDN crate
Whatever shipping to get i to your door.

Thanks
Don

Pics.Hopefully they come through.

Pics of the glass and fitting to the extended tray. These two screens are on their way to ALLTRBO.

A couple pics of the screen that I have that was used as the template for the mould. It has a blemish in the black strip so I will most likely leaving this one as the spare. Shows you the crate that would be built to ship as well. Everything was 1/2" plywood and 1" Styrofoam.

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 09-16-2011).]

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooDirect Link to This Post
So are you ready for another idea? How about glass sail panels for the GT?

Nice work, and your effort is appreciated by the community.
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I was going to post the pics and info when they arrived, but he beat me to it.

As he mentioned, the two pictured are on their way to me now, I'm hoping to have them in hand by next week. As promised, I'll give you my take on these and I'll also post a few more pics.

Pat at Coastal Curved Glass (Seabird Industries) seems to be a very nice gentleman, and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with him again. He had a very rough year so it's great that this custom run made it through as promised. There are some good vendors out there! He's back on track so if anyone wants to order their own windshields from him, it should be easy sailing now that Don did all of the tedious legwork and Coastal has the templates.
My costs were:
$750 CDN for each windshield (the conversion rate to USD right now is very close to 1:1)
$75 CDN for one crate fitting both windshields as well Don's extension tray to save me on shipping
$300 CDN for shipping from the west coast of Canada to the east coast of the US.

It bears repeating- Neither Don nor I will have anything to do with further orders, so any inquiries will need to go straight to Pat at Coastal Curved Glass. I can answer questions that I have the answers to, but that isn't anything more than is already posted here as of now.

For the record, Don (355Fiero) did everything he said he would, and as he posted a little while ago, he didn't take a dime from me or anyone else, only my word that I'd purchase two when they were complete so that the price would be a lot lower. He also put up the very hefty initial deposit to Coastal by himself. If I hadn't gone through with my two, he'd be stuck buying them. He did all this because he didn't want to unintentionally screw anyone out of their money, and that says a lot. Keep in mind, that was a LOT of his money on the line. Furthermore, he went above and beyond in too many ways to discuss here including but not limited to having the first two screens sent to me (after he approved their quality), and he kept me promptly updated through all of this and in great detail. I truly wish that everyone was as honest and straightforward as he is.

CarverToo, nice idea but Don doesn't even have a stock bodied Fiero so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be interested in getting that done. However, I bet if you call up Coastal Curved Glass you could work something out if you had a good stock sail window to send to Pat. Keep in mind though, custom bent glass isn't cheap.
FWIW, I wouldn't be interested because I'm satisfied with some of the currently available sail windows, and plastic weighs less.

I'll post more when my windshields arrive...

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 09-17-2011).]

mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
I'd be in for the sail panels
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 355Fiero:
The way to prep the glass is to get a product from Sika that is called a black glass primer. I don't have the actual name and product number at work with me so I will find it at home and post once I find it. The primer strip will need to be painted on by the purchaser.

I think this is what you are referring to...

(Edit)
Sika®Primer-206
http://usa.sika.com/en/solu...0/01a001sa01104.html
It's the second product on the list, the one above it (Aktivator PRO) is the cleaner that's used to clean the glass before application.

Here is the datasheet for the Primer-206:
http://us01.webdms.sika.com...w.do?documentID=1009

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 09-20-2011).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see pictures on/near a stock bodied Fiero.

I know glass in hard to handle, but could you take a picture of the glass on top of a stock Fiero windshield, so we get an idea how the look of the car changes with the extended glass? I'm also having a hard time picturing on how the shape of the cowl and and hood latch and safety catch locations will have to change. The picture may help clarify.

Will you be doing the black border and/or a tint strip on your glass?

Thank you Don again for doing this. I understand this was a big risk and a lot of work for you.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
I know glass in hard to handle, but could you take a picture of the glass on top of a stock Fiero windshield, so we get an idea how the look of the car changes with the extended glass?

That's exactly what I plan on doing.

I'll definitely be adding the black border (called a frit band), it protects the urethane adhesive from UV damage and it looks much better that way. The Sika Primer-206 that I linked above is what's used.
I briefly searched for a smoke-to-clear faded tint so I can put on a factory-like tint strip but I haven't found any yet. If I can't find some then I'll use a solid mildly-tinted strip.

The crate is on its way as we speak but I don't have a tracking # for it because the carrier who delivers to the US ships through their network which has a few different trucking lines, and so Pat is apparently unable to get a tracking number for me (bah). He said it should be here sometime this week.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 09-20-2011).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2011 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:
I'll definitely be adding the black border (called a frit band), it protects the urethane adhesive from UV damage and it looks much better that way. The Sika Primer-206 that I linked above is what's used.
I briefly searched for a smoke-to-clear faded tint so I can put on a factory-like tint strip but I haven't found any yet. If I can't find some then I'll use a solid mildly-tinted strip.

How does the border work? is it a solid line, or does it fade into the window, or is it dot-matrix. Does it even matter? (do you see it from the inside)

I tried looking for a gradient tint strip for you. Haven't found it yet. When I do, I'll post it.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2011 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Do you mean the Sika product that I linked above? It's a liquid that you "paint" onto the inside of the glass, so it can be made however you like.

From what I've read, the factory frit bands on stock cars are baked on in some fancy process which is better, but when done right this Sika stuff is supposed to work very well. As far as I know, most (all?) stock cars come with the frit band edges dot-matrix'd, and that's how I'd prefer to do this, but I don't think I'll find a pre-made stencil so the easy way out would be to make the line solid. I want just a tiny bit of the edge to be visible from the inside as it is on stock cars.

Thanks for searching for the tint, I'll continue to as well.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I'll research the dot matrix pattern. Maybe I'll figure something out.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Hope this helps. The look reminds me of a "halftone gradient" in graphic design.

http://www.gagcartoons.com/...one-screen-gradient/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

I hope this helps. I'll research this some more in the next few days.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Cool, thanks. That gives me an idea... I know someone who owns a graphic design and printing business, I can see if he'd print me a halftone gradient on some clear sticky-backed vinyl (or however that works), then I could just add it to the border (on the inside of the windshield) extending just beyond the solid edge I create. If done in the correct shade of black, that could be seamlessly integrated and look good I think. The only thing I'd worry about is yellowing from the adhesive being exposed to sunlight. I'll have to get in contact with him and see what he thinks.

Still no sign of the windshields. I emailed Pat and he said he'd find out where they are for me.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 09-28-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:

Cool, thanks. That gives me an idea... I know someone who owns a graphic design and printing business, I can see if he'd print me a halftone gradient on some clear sticky-backed vinyl (or however that works), then I could just add it to the border (on the inside of the windshield) extending just beyond the solid edge I create. If done in the correct shade of black, that could be seamlessly integrated and look good I think. The only thing I'd worry about is yellowing from the adhesive being exposed to sunlight. I'll have to get in contact with him and see what he thinks.

Still no sign of the windshields. I emailed Pat and he said he'd find out where they are for me.

Or you could just have him make a stencil of the whole thing, including the areas that have to be completely black. Didn't Don say he'll make a template of the original AD windshield blackout border? Maybe he can take some close up photos of how their halftone gradient looks, so your friend has a pattern to replicate/approximate.

Ask your graphics friend if there are vinyl stickers that gradient over to clear. (to get a factory style tint strip) Again, ask Don for the measurements.

Airbrushing may be another solution. Not sure what airbrush paint to use that can stand up to the heat of a windshield in sunlight on a hot day, or cleaning products on the inside. But Airbrush is the best method of creating gradients, I'd presume.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Been hard at work installing the extended screen in my Ferrari 308 replica project. I have a few pics on my work computer to show you how much further the screen comes out from stock Fiero.

To answer some of the previous questions from folks, If I can remember them all....

Hood safety pin that was asked does need to be removed on the Driver's side but only because of where I relocated my driver's wiper transmission to. If you move it a bit closer to the centre of the car, you should be able to retain the pin.. Passenger side did not look like it would have any issue. I don't have the Fiero hood on the car any more as I redesigned the front to have a smaller, more oem looking front hood so the 308 fenders are over where my pins are but looking at the cowl and screen, I am assuming you would still be able to retain those with a bit more finessing of wiper location.

Wiper relocation was pretty easy. I did a bit of metal bashing to build a plate that connects to the cowl end and places the centre wiper further forward into the trunk area. The plate facilitates putting the trunk seal on it so there will still be full trunk sealing. Since I made the plate, I also decided I will also mount the hood push spring in the same area as there is room. You will also need to reinforce under the plate with some triangulation pieces. I haven't done that yet. The extended screen will also require some cutting of the hood obviously but most of the factory trunk seal location should be able to be retained. The additional wiper plate area will require some additional seal plate on the under side of the hood to continue the seal. It will also make for a fairly thick hood edge as the screen comes to the end of the cowl area where the factory trunk seal is.

You will also need to relocate the front hood latch froward as the tray sits right over top of the stock Fiero latch location. I plan to add two side latches just because it is easier for my build. reusing the stock Fiero latch should be feasible. Just need to relocate the latch mechanism and striker forward. Maybe add it to the wiper extension tray.

As for the various ideas of painting the black pattern above, that certainly is feasible but is it worth all the additional effort when you will already have a black strip around the edges covering the glue? Not sure the dots would be all that noticeable in the end. Lots of work to put the extended screen in so maybe it won't be that much more in the end. Also, don't use a black plastic film as the black edge. I was told by Pat the the Sika product id'd above also promotes adhesion to the glass the same as the ceramic black edge does on production vehicles so that would be a requirement that the plastic film might not provide. If you are doing the dots on the inside edge of the black primer, then shouldn't be a problem.

Pics don't do the extended screen justice unfortunately but I am very happy with the results so far.

The first pic you will easily see how much forward the extended screen goes. The edge of the fender tops is the original Feiro hood edge. The blue tray you see goes from the edge of the stock Fiero screen curve out to the new screen lower edge. Pushes the bottom centre out about 6-7".

Second image shows the extended wiper location. I have other, more detailed pics of wiper relocation for both drivers and centre over on Mad Mechanics forum.

Cheers
Don
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post

355Fiero

548 posts
Member since Dec 2004
A few more pics I got off Mad Mechanics

Before

After

More detailed wiper relocation image. A better image of the distance forward the extended screen goes as well. Blue tray edges are the exact edges of both the Fiero screen and the extended screen.

One last couple of full pics of the 308 project with the extended screen

[This message has been edited by 355Fiero (edited 10-07-2011).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2011 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Man, I just can't win!

BOTH windshields are broken. From the looks of it, it's the fault of both the shippers and those who crated it up. It was obviously mishandled, and it's not very secure. I'm very upset.
Fortunately the fiberglass lower tray from Don seems to be fine.
I emailed Pat at Coastal but it's late and I don't expect to hear back until tomorrow.

(Don, thanks for the info in your above post)

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-13-2011).]

InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Quite a shame to see. Looks like a lot of effort was put into the crate.

I actually packaged and shipped windshields where I worked summers as a college kid. We double wrapped them the long way with 1/2" bubble wrap, then double wrapped overtop the short way with 1/2" bubble wrap. Then we bent double thickness cardboard all the way around the edge and taped it all in place. Then in a crate or most of the time, a heavy duty cardboard box, we'd fill every gap with foam-in-place polyurethane fill. Can get it at UPS shipping stores now I think.

Returns/damage was very very rare. Was less than 1%.
355Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroDirect Link to This Post
Steve;

I got your email and this is terrible. Pat sends glass all over North America so this doesn't sound right. He was sick for several days after I was over there so maybe his staff didn't do the right job in crating.......I hope he sorts everything out with you. I don't have my screens yet as he said another 3 weeks to build the next set and get them laminated which was a couple weeks ago.

I will call him today and tell him to use my two screens to send to you as replacement for the damaged ones and I can get my two later on.
That really sucks.

Talk to you soon.
Don
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, I figured they would package them better considering that custom glass is their business. It looks like the glass probably seemed to be secured solidly when they sent it out, but with movement and vibration the styrofoam compacted some so they loosened up, then I'm sure there was quite a shock in there somewhere along the line. They needed more cushion and more support. I know this was on at least two trucks and an airplane, probably more. I have security footage of the delivery guy unloading it (I was at work), but he didn't handle it too roughly. He should have noticed that the crate was cracked open, though. The screws holding on the side cover are way too short to grab into pressboard adequately. I don't think that was what caused the damage, but it surely didn't help anything.
It looks to me that if it was packaged more like InTheLead described (even half that well) they would be fine even with pretty rough handling, but if the crate was handled according to the massive "PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE - GLASS" on the side, they would have been fine even packaged like that. The combination screwed 'em over.

I really am glad the lower tray seems to have made it without damage because in my eyes, that's even more custom than the glass because it was made by hand, by Don. I haven't taken anything out of the crate yet because I'm waiting to get a hold of Pat, which I haven't been able to do yet.

Don, you don't have to volunteer to delay your two on account of mine, it wasn't your fault. I'm not sure how Pat will handle this, but I hope he will do everything in his power to get 5 of them out ASAP. The third guy is still waiting for his, right?

I'll keep this thread updated.

I think I need to change the name to "Project Bad Luck". If any of you have followed my project from the beginning, you'll definitely understand why. :/

(Edit): Would you believe that this very post was post number 1988 for me? If I was superstitious I'd say somebody was trying to tell me something... but what?

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 10-16-2011).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2011 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Oh my God that sucks! I've been one of those guys sitting on the fence on this issue for my own project car so I've been glued to this thread like hot gum on the sole of a shoe in the dead of summer. I can only imagine your disappointment with the condition they arrived in. Please let us know how this works out in the end... it will make the difference between risking the money for a pair of them or not for me.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2011 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I will let everyone know how it turns out. My hopes are high, but sometimes reality isn't. It'd be a huge disappointment for all of us if it becomes not worth the risk, that's a lot of money.

Pat told me on Friday that he had contacted the shipping company and was waiting to hear back from them and he'll let me know as soon as they do.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock