Brighten up your dash!!! by Fieroseverywhere
Started on: 11-27-2007 09:16 PM
Replies: 127
Last post by: RickN on 07-13-2009 04:32 PM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Send me 30 of the 5W

Paypal sent

[This message has been edited by sjmaye (edited 12-01-2007).]

IP: Logged
samt

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtDirect Link to This Post
To take pictures of the dash lights boost your asa or speed setting to the highest your camera has (in most cases about 1600 or so) put your camera on manual (if it has a manual setting) put shutter speed at about 1/30 of a second (you may need to play around with the shutter speed for best reults) and of course turn off the flash.This is of course all assuming you have a digital camera that has manual settings.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2007 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by samt:

To take pictures of the dash lights boost your asa or speed setting to the highest your camera has (in most cases about 1600 or so) put your camera on manual (if it has a manual setting) put shutter speed at about 1/30 of a second (you may need to play around with the shutter speed for best reults) and of course turn off the flash.This is of course all assuming you have a digital camera that has manual settings.

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

I'm back in town early. Its suppose to snow later and I figured it was better not to risk it.

sjmaye - payment received and your bulbs will go out monday.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-01-2007).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

sjmaye - payment received and your bulbs will go out monday.

Thank you very much!

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

This will have the opposite effect to that intended. Shutter speed should be placed much lower, no more than .5 seconds. Asa should be set lower....
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

This will have the opposite effect to that intended. Shutter speed should be placed much lower, no more than .5 seconds. Asa should be set lower....

no sorry thats wrong I'm a professional photographer the proper setting to get a proper exposure of a light bulb is about 1/30 of a second at 2.8 with 400 asa film, the higher the asa the more senitive the film is to light so the less exposure one needs,theres no way you could even hand hold a camera at 1/2 a second without getting blurr,even 1/30 is pushing it.On many digital cameras the largest appeture is smaller than 2.8 around the 4.5 range (smaller opening more light needed) on short zoom so more light is needed to achieve a proper exposure so you need to boost the exposure time (slower shutter speed) or use a faster film or on a digital camera boost the asa setting to a faster asa setting, as it's very hard to hand hold a camera at anything lower than 1/30 of a second without getting blur you have to boost the asa or use a larger appeture,this is basic photography.

[This message has been edited by samt (edited 12-03-2007).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
I've taken 4 second 2.8 app. shots by hand (with a prop.) before... yes it is possible. Once again: I wouldn't go higher than .5 seconds for a dark shot like the one you're talking about.

-Paul
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtDirect Link to This Post
1/30 second 1600 asa f 4 and thats about exactly the way my dash looks at night,as I said a person may want to fool around with the shutter speed as it really depends on you cameras widest appeture but most important make sure you take the before and after with the exact same settings to show the differance,shutter speed should never be lower than your focal length ie: 35mm which is what this was shot at about 1/30 of a second, lower you will get blurr but if you want to go the hard route and shoot at 1/2 a second rather than just boosting your asa good luck getting a tripod in there with you.

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

This photograph was taken a 1.5 miles away with a three second exposure and zoom. It was not taken on a tripod. The bridge was barely visable from our distance.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005
If that's how your dash normally looks under normal driving conditions I highly advise you buy some of the afore mentioned bulbs.. lol.

My dash is about three times that luminosity.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Oh wait I found one that's blury... Oh yeah that was under full throttle... heh
PFF
System Bot
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005

I said a person may want to fool arounf with the shutter speed as it erally depends on you cameras widest appeture but most important make sure you take the before and after with the exact same settings to show the differance,shutter speed should never be lower than your focal length ie: 35mm which is what this was shoot at about 1/30 of a second lower you will get blurr but if you want to go the hard route and shoot at 1/2 a second rather than just boosting your asa good luck getting a tripod in there with you.

When did he ever even mention using a camera with film... What your saying is great, considering that we assume film is being used... but it isn't being used. Dynosaurs use film anyway.
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2007 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtDirect Link to This Post

When did he ever even mention using a camera with film... What your saying is great, considering that we assume film is being used... but it isn't being used. Dynosaurs use film anyway.

not true once again better digital cameras have manual sttings just like a film camera that work just the same (shutter speed,asa settings etc) and all digital cameras have appetures just like a film camera and the longer the zoom you're useing the smaller the appeture just like a film camera,I know he's trying to use a digital camera and I said in my first post"assuming your camera has manual settings"!!! my picture was shot with a lower end Canon digital with the engine not running the dash is brighter with the engine running, just trying to show the results and just trying to help the guy get the pictures he wants!!!!! and don't forget it also depends on your monitor somewhat the main thing is to get two pictures taken on the same settings that show the differance in the brightness between the bulbs my dash compared to anyone elses means nothing.

[This message has been edited by samt (edited 12-02-2007).]

Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-02-2007 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
True indeed. I never said that he didn't have manual setting on his camera, I said that he wasn't using film. I understand reciprocity without your explanation. The fact is, he isn't using film, he's using a CCD image sensor. That being said he most likely has a low end camera (assumed from what read) and so that camera probably has only 2.8 and 4.9 appurature settings. This means his best chance of taking a clear picture would be at 2.8 app. and at a slow speed; generally around .5 seconds.

I'm not going to argue with you about this any further, let him decide who's method works to the best of his camera's ability.
samt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for samtSend a Private Message to samtDirect Link to This Post
All that being said I don't think my picture is the opposite effect wanted is it? and yes you can take a slow exposure hand held if you have image stabilization.

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Mine arrived today. I have switch out all of the outside ones already. I'll switch the inside ones when I can reconnect the battery after the engine is put back in one day this week.
Thanks
Joe
86blackse

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86blackseSend a Private Message to 86blackseDirect Link to This Post
my arrived today also, i'll get them in and hope to brighten up the dash a bit.. thanks Fieroseverywhere for the fast shipping
brandon87gt

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brandon87gtSend a Private Message to brandon87gtDirect Link to This Post
Got mine today too! That was super quick! Thanks alot. Hopefully I can get these in soon.
timgray

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2007 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Put it on a tripod, set for 100ASA and do a long exposure on your regular lamps until you get a good looking shot, write down all settings and then reshoot with the EXACT same settings with the new bulbs. you will get a good example photo IF your camera allows real manual settings and does not have a hidden self gain like the darn Canon Digital Rebel does. many consumer digital SLR cameras have built in auto level and gain you cant shut off. Canon you have to get a D1 before it will not autogain on you. Fuji S1,S2,S3,S5,S7 do not autogain either. Havent tried the Nikon higher end models but the D70 stinks for precision photgraphy like this as well.

using car interior lighting only would give a better contrast to the brightness of the change. Dash lights only will not be as obvious without some contrasting light on the rest of the dashboard.

Been shooting astronomical, weather and professionally for years, been bitten by the hidden autogain on consumer SLR's many times.

Yes your SLR is a consumer level if it cost less than $1200.00 for the body only when new.

BTW, a medium format Film would be perfect for this kind of photograph. way better contrast range and other benefits that even a $30,000.00 Hassleblad digital cant touch.

You'll pry my GX680 from my cold dead hands way before any digital camera can touch it's quality.

Anyhoo. the trick is tripod, wide angle lens, fixed speed and shutter. Lower = better. many cameras at 1600 or higher have way too much noise. my S2 shoots night shots clean as high end 35mm film does at 100ASA at really long exposure compared to 3200ASA and short exposure.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Ok. My camera sucks. I tried it both ways to see what I could get and I can't get any kind of a decent pic even with the (limited) manual settings. Still hoping for someone to come in and save the day. Anyone? I will try a few more times tonight to see what I can come up with. I do have a tripod that I can attach to the top of the seat which I may be able to use for a long exposure shot. We'll see.

Originally posted by josef644:

Mine arrived today. I have switch out all of the outside ones already. I'll switch the inside ones when I can reconnect the battery after the engine is put back in one day this week.
Thanks
Joe

Originally posted by 86blackse:

my arrived today also, i'll get them in and hope to brighten up the dash a bit.. thanks Fieroseverywhere for the fast shipping

Originally posted by brandon87gt:

Got mine today too! That was super quick! Thanks alot. Hopefully I can get these in soon.

Glad to hear you guys got them already. Let us know how you like them.

Two88gt's... Your bulbs are going out today.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-04-2007).]

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Dynosaurs use film anyway.

Fieroseverywhere, if you want to send 6 to me i'll take your damn pics (with film, thank you Emc209i) and then scan them at 1200dpi
but i dont want them enough to send you 6 bucks. Hell, I'll be out more than that in processing (i already have the film, i buy 100 feet at a time)

but i dont always shoot long exposures, sometimes i have a need for 3 frames a second... try that with a digital camera

EDIT: on second thought, now i want to do it, so i can prove that your digital camera isn't all that...

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 12-05-2007).]

PFF
System Bot
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
could i get qty 20 of the 5w please?

send me your paypal info & any other details you need from me,

thanks!
Nick
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2007 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post

OHNIKO

2124 posts
Member since Jul 2003
oops double post, 20 not 40!

Nick

[This message has been edited by OHNIKO (edited 12-04-2007).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OHNIKO:

oops double post, 20 not 40!

Nick

40 it is. PM sent.

Buddycraig, thanks for the offer but I think I got it figured out now. My camera is actually a camcorder (part of my problem, takes horrible stills) so I have decided to take some video to get the pics that I need. I have a program to pull stills from the video so I think I can pull it off this way. If not I will just post a video for everyone. What sucks is I have to swap the old bulbs back in to get the before then change them back cause I won't use them anymore. I will let you guys know how it turns out tomorrow or the next day depending on how much time I got to do it.

I can't believe I didn't think of it before.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2007 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

(with film, thank you Emc209i)

You're very welcome! Dinosaurs
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I do appreciate all of your guys help with the pic problem but....

If you must continue your bickering please do it somewhere else. Let try to keep this thread about bulbs and not what camera or film to use. We don't have agree on how to take the pics let just get them taken. Thanks,

Caalon
Motorhead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MotorheadSend a Private Message to MotorheadDirect Link to This Post
Paypal payment sent.
Thanks
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
moula sent, i'll let you know when they arrive...

...everyone happy with theirs? I hope i'll be able to see how fast i'm going now...
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:
If you must continue your bickering please do it somewhere else. Let try to keep this thread about bulbs and not what camera or film to use. We don't have agree on how to take the pics let just get them taken. Thanks,

Caalon

i think Emc209i and i are more teasing than anything.

good luck with your video camera and screen grab idea, my offer still stands in case you are not happy with the results.

Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Just wanted to post thoughts after receiving and installing. First the shipping was super quick ... but then you'd expect it to be since they just had to travel across town I installed the new lamps in the regualr instrument cluster and aux cluster. As far as improvement goes... when I was installing them and looking through the openings in the back of the inst cluster where you can see the bulbs, they definitely looked brighter. As far as once everything was put back together I didn't see a whole lot of difference. This may have been mitigated by the fact that I had just recently relamped with new standard bulbs, so there may not have been as much difference as if I was replacing old stock bulbs. I did take some pretty good before/after pictures, but as with my actual experience it was hard to tell much difference. I initially tried the other 4 I bought in the PONTIAC slots on the GT tailights, but found them to be dimmer in appearance than the stock bulbs (pretty sure this is due to the fact that they are a much smaller bulb physically). I then used the remaining bulbs for the 4 side markers. I still feel these are a good upgrade if nothing else based on the bulb life alone.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 12-05-2007).]

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
Richjk2, it would be hard to tell the difference. without a side by side compairison.
you might have been able to tell a difference if you had the lights on and changed them one at a time so you could see a difference as you went along. but if you looked at your old lights, then turned them off for 5 minutes to change them and then turned them back on, your mind would have forgotten how bright the old bulbs truely were.
PFF
System Bot
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
yeah ... I know what you're saying .. but like I said I did also take pics... and there wasn't an easily discernable difference. But again, my standard bulbs were all new already ... and I never had what I would have considered a dim dash anyway. And again, i'm not trying to knock the product... they definitely look good and if they last pretty much forever then I'm happy.

Rich

[This message has been edited by Richjk21 (edited 12-05-2007).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your feedback. I do appreciate it.

As for the GT taillights I never tested them there and was un-aware that the original bulb was larger. I was told shortly after starting this thread that they were the same. I do not have a fastback as of yet but am working on building it. The good thing is that I can get a hold of the larger bulb also in a Xenon/halogen and a better wattage. If you are interested let me know and I will try to run them out to you either tonight or sometime soon and we can do all the testing you can handle. For you help I will throw in the set that works out the best and relieve you of the set that didn't. I believe the larger ones I can get are either an 11W or an 18w. If its the bulb I'm thinking the stock one would have been a 9W I believe. My guess is the 18W will run too hot to work properly and the last thing I want to do is ruin someones GT taillights. The 11w's though should be perfect for the job I would suspect. If you are interested shoot me a PM and we will set up something. I'll grab some from work later in case you are interested. Thanks again for your feedback Rich.

When I first changed out my dash I did it with the lights on so I could tell the difference immediately. Not a massive difference as the heat restraints just wont allow it but a good upgrade and just a little brighter then the originals and a lot longer lasting.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-05-2007).]

Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply... I just figured I'd give them a shot in the PONTIAC slots.... the base is the same, but the bulb that's in there is definitely larger. No worries though .... I bought just the 4 with the fallback plan being that if I didn't like them in the tail lights, I would use them in the side markers which is exactly what I did. I would go pull one of the standard bulbs from the PONTIAC slots and take a pic for size comparison, but I'm not feeling that ambitious at the moment , maybe later
Again, I still consider this a highly positive transaction/upgrade, and worth the money. Didn't want anyone to think I was trying to be negative.

Rich
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I would still want to get the tailights figured out if you are interested. I will still comp them also if you are. I just don't have access to a fastback to play with to do the testing. If they have the same base but the bulb is larger then it should be the 906 bulb (same as the stock dome light bulb). I have those but don't really use them myself as the smaller ones are easier to change out in the dome. Let me know and we can set something up. Or I can just mail you 4 to test out and let me know how it goes. Being accross town does make it easy for this kind of thing. Later Rich,

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-01-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2007 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Fieroseverywhere

4242 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Ok, Rich has agreed to to some testing for me in the GT tailights (what a guy. ).

Once they are tested I will try to put together some kits for those who are interested. I think I can work out a little better deal on a kit price by substituting the 906 replacement (larger bulb with same base).

I have had a few people ask so I will ask back. What would you guys like to have put together for a kit?

I have access to...

3W 194 replacement - idiot lights and other lights that you don't want to be brighter
5W (10w also available but definately too hot) 194 replacement - dash and aux illumination
11.6W (18w also available but probably too hot.) 906 replacement - For use in the courtesy lights, dome lights, and GT tailight if you prefer over the smaller bulbs. These end up being a little cheaper for me to buy anyway and as always I pass my savings on to you.

I think I may have also found a replacement for the trunk light but I need some more time to be sure. Still working on the ash tray/HVAC control lights.

Any others that I am missing? What about the third brake light? The fiero I have here is an 85 so I don't have that one either. If you guy want to pm or e-mail me pics of anything I'm missing I will do some searching to find suitable replacements. There aren't many bulbs that can't be found in some kind of better style, if I know what to look for.
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2007 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechDirect Link to This Post
Got my bulbs the other day, lookin good I'll see if I got some time tomorrow I will put them in and get some nice pictures.
Richjk21

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post
been keeping an eye out for the bulbs, I'll let you know when I get them.

Rich
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Richjk21:

been keeping an eye out for the bulbs, I'll let you know when I get them.

Rich

Actually, I will be getting them out tomorrow. The first four I picked up seem to have dissapeared. I will have to pick up some more in the morning and get them right out. Still can't figure out what happened to them. I'll probably run accross them as soon as you get the replacements.

Originally posted by AutoTech:

Got my bulbs the other day, lookin good I'll see if I got some time tomorrow I will put them in and get some nice pictures.

Glad to hear it. Enjoy.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2007 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
My bulbs arrived. Thanks.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock