Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Is there a way to put people on an "ignore setting or list" (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Is there a way to put people on an "ignore setting or list" by Rickady88GT
Started on: 01-06-2013 11:30 PM
Replies: 57
Last post by: Boondawg on 01-08-2013 01:00 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would never ask this but I would like to never see the posts or replies from some "hostile" or "offensive" members.
Is there an Ignore function?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Yes, when you see their name exercise self control and don't read what they typed. Other than that, No.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Seems like an ignore function (if possible) would keep some topics more civil?
Self control on an anonymous forum...? OK, I guess.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Seems like an ignore function (if possible) would keep some topics more civil?
Self control on an anonymous forum...? OK, I guess.

Yeah, a ignore function would be nice but there isn't one . I think it would keep some topics more civil also, but the problem arises in the if you ignore them, they can still see and respond to what you posted which somone might quote from. Which brings up the question of how do you eliminate words they posted in a quote, since the quote is typed text from someone else, not the original poster of the words? Yeah, this has been brought up before and the answer has always been "Use self control and don't read it".
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Yeah, a ignore function would be nice but there isn't one . I think it would keep some topics more civil also, but the problem arises in the if you ignore them, they can still see and respond to what you posted which somone might quote from. Which brings up the question of how do you eliminate words they posted in a quote, since the quote is typed text from someone else, not the original poster of the words? Yeah, this has been brought up before and the answer has always been "Use self control and don't read it".

I would be OK with "QUOTES' being visible. This World is not perfect, and it would be a good attempt at bringing some of needless bickering down. Face it, we CANT all just get along.

mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
I've asked for this from Cliff as well. Maybe if enough people ask he'll consider it,
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
I know there is in the PM function.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

We need a zealot filter.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
I am on other forums with ignore features. It only goes so far. If someone quotes an ignored person, you see what was quoted. While you may not see their posts, they can still post anything they want about you and your posts.

[This message has been edited by Doug85GT (edited 01-07-2013).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post
I don't really know why anyone would want to. I don't much care for blindfolds.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
I never knew pff had a bunch of close minded pansies on it?

I've never been attacked here apart from a thread about my buddy getting a few moving violations (imagine that) and I found it comical. Cliff has the perfect forum, just a bunch of old bogeys getting all political ranting at each other

Lets start counting negs in 3-2-1.. GO!
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theBDub:

I don't really know why anyone would want to. I don't much care for blindfolds.

I understand what you're saying, but there comes a time when you get fed up with the, oh I don't know... the bitterness that some people exude.

And then there's the people who are just plain loopy. It wears thin after a few years... or less.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I thought I would never ask this but I would like to never see the posts or replies from some "hostile" or "offensive" members.

JazzMan used to also advocate for this. Dumb dumb dumb in my opinion. You might not see the post but others will. Some, maybe many, will comment on it. You will end up seeing it discussed anyways.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I think the best thing to do is simply ignore it yourself. Remember that if you see something you don't want to post on or in you don't have to. Also there is no rule or statement saying that you have to respond to someone if a thread goes downhill. Sometimes the best thing to do is walk away.

The forum sections also have specific tabs that you can click on to filter out threads. It's on the main forum page where the little plus boxes are. This is why when you start a thread where ever on the forum you are asked to choose a sub topic - so people can filter out particular items. It's also why I cannot stress enough that not only should titles be legit (no "OMG GUYS!!! LOOK AT THIS!!! HXZOR$!!!) but also sub thread clickables be selected correctly (and then you click on aforementioned thread title and it's about politics).

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 01-07-2013).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

I can make them disappear. How much money 'ya got, .
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Yes, when you see their name exercise self control and don't read what they typed. Other than that, No.

QFT!! I doubt anyone on this forum hated reading WD88 posts more than I did. But, I learned to just ignore him. He eventually went away.
Regardless of the topic, his opinion or posts began to mean less and less as I got better at ignoring him.

I don't know who you're talking about but, if I'm one of them, feel free to ignore this and any other post I make.
The world is full of folks I don't totally agree with but, I'd still like to know what's going on in their minds from time to time.

Take for example CliffW. Right now, I'm wondering who is on his hit list.

------------------
Ron
A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury.
So, what do ya think, are we there yet?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I think just having forums where alot of people agree on things is too much of a life filter already. Its not really opinion that is annoying, its how its made. We're all free to counter something, by communicating back. I dont want to censor it by blocking it even just to myself. I mean I can choose to stop reading, or not open a thread as it is.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-07-2013).]

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post01-07-2013 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post
How about just act like an adult and exercise self control?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out. It was a rifle shot in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at. Well, see ya tomorrow.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

We need a zealot filter.

While we are at it, let's add "Crabby Canadian filter"

PFF
System Bot
F355spider

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F355spiderSend a Private Message to F355spiderDirect Link to This Post

Why would you want to censer free speach? I have had to take time away before and some people I do not look at their post but I do believe they have a right to post even if I think they are stupid becouse I am sure they think the same about me.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
An "ignore" option would prove too tempting to me. I'd end up reducing my potential contacts from 19,000+ PFF members to maybe a couple dozen.

Just don't read what you don't want to read.......simple enough.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2013 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

An "ignore" option would prove too tempting to me. I'd end up reducing my potential contacts from 19,000+ PFF members to maybe a couple dozen.

Yup.
There would be 12 other people, just like me.
And one loose cannon, to divert stupidity away from me.

A cozy lil' circlejerk...........complete with asbestos.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

I'd turn on the "Annoying american filter" but then there'd be no one left posting. Oh well!
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

How about just act like an adult and exercise self control?

How 'bout making a point someone has not already made??

Maybe we should get a "word ignore" function, and every thread that comes up with that exact word in it does not show up when you look at the forum?
A few months ago I would have chosen "Obama" but now I would choose "Gun".

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 01-07-2013).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out. It was a rifle shot in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at. Well, see ya tomorrow.

You're getting too old for this sh*t.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

love my northern neighbors... but that made me LOL... nice job John.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Lol

Hockey is back, so I expect you Canadian folk to be in a better mood for a while.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Hockey is back, so I expect you Canadian folk to be in a better mood for a while.

Not yet it ain't

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com GoogleTalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
yup...sure miss the days when you could just kill those who didnt conform.....
PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

Yup.
There would be 12 other people, just like me.
And one loose cannon, to divert stupidity away from me.

A cozy lil' circlejerk...........complete with asbestos.

LOL!!

Right now, there are about a dozen or so "loose cannons" interrupting the present circlejerk.....they be us and our ilk.....however, diverting the stupidity isn't going as well as one might imagine. Hope springs eternal.

Circlejerk....maybe that's how Popeye's forearms got so big.

[This message has been edited by Doni Hagan (edited 01-07-2013).]

Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Originally posted by Formula88:

You know you're not the first guy to think of this you know. A lot people have got problems especially during the silly season like now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

We need a zealot filter.

Originally posted by Stubby79:

I'd turn on the "Annoying American filter" but then there'd be no one left posting. Oh well!

Yeah, it's not the Canadians who've been whining non-stop in thread after thread here about their bang-sticks being regulated.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-07-2013).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-07-2013 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by F355spider:

Why would you want to censer free speach? I have had to take time away before and some people I do not look at their post but I do believe they have a right to post even if I think they are stupid becouse I am sure they think the same about me.

Technically it wouldn't be censorship since the post would be allowed to stand... But i think the entire concept is childish. What do people do if they don't like a show on TV, call and complain or just change the channel? We are all adults here.. If something offends you, don't read it..

This is indicative of the growing 'nanny state' mentality where people want to be taken care of like a child, and not stand on their own 2 feet.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post01-07-2013 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

User00013170

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Yeah, it's not the Canadians who've been whining non-stop in thread after thread here about their bang-sticks being regulated.

Well, thats because as a whole we defend our rights and freedoms down on this side of the border. ( there are exceptions of course.. but those "people" don't count )
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

Well, thats because as a whole we defend our rights and freedoms down on this side of the border. ( there are exceptions of course.. but those "people" don't count )

Do you put any thought into your posts, or do you just churn them out one after another?
htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

LOL!!

Right now, there are about a dozen or so "loose cannons" interrupting the present circlejerk.....they be us and our ilk.....however, diverting the stupidity isn't going as well as one might imagine. Hope springs eternal.

Circlejerk....maybe that's how Popeye's forearms got so big.

Close.

In Naval lore, the forearms of sailors got large, not by what many would think, but by rolling the sails of ships up tightly which required a completly different set of muscles then the upper arms have.

Thus when creating "Popeye the Sailor" the creator kept the large forearms of an 1800s sailor intact.

As for the thread, just iggy them (dont read what they type)
theBDub

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2013 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubDirect Link to This Post

I understand what you're saying, but there comes a time when you get fed up with the, oh I don't know... the bitterness that some people exude.

And then there's the people who are just plain loopy. It wears thin after a few years... or less.

Oh, totally. I guess I attribute it to personal character development. I learn through [almost] every post in some way.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post01-07-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

?

Quiet down up there. You are shaking the snow down my way to the tune of a wet, sloppy foot.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock