Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  So, 48,000 People Support The Right To Bear Arms But Not The Right To Free Speech? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
Previous Page | Next Page
So, 48,000 People Support The Right To Bear Arms But Not The Right To Free Speech? by Boondawg
Started on: 12-29-2012 11:08 AM
Replies: 196
Last post by: cliffw on 01-04-2013 06:37 AM
User00013170

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post12-30-2012 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

On a side note, after reading every post here, it is refreshing to see a few new converts. Some, who have previously disavowed most or all religion have suddenly felt the touch of the Lord's hand on their heart--or at least to the extent that He exists, considering how many have mentioned free speech is a God ordained right versus a constitutionally guaranteed right. Hallelujah and Amen Brothers! See ya all in church tomorrow..

Wont catch me saying that, or seeing me in church ( unless im working on their network or something.. ).

IP: Logged
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-30-2012 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

User00013170

33617 posts
Member since May 2006

Originally posted by carnut122:

Both are already restricted. It's only a matter of how much restriction.

It doesn't make it right however.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2012 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Just to be clear, when i say "God given right", I am only refering to what they (the writers) called it, not weather he or it actually is.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-30-2012).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I think you're referring to "inalienable rights"?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

And I think you're referring to inalienable rights "endowed by their creator"?

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 12-30-2012).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
SO SIMPLE
The church of liberalism is not against free speech!!
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:
And I think you're referring to inalienable rights "endowed by their creator"?

Yes, of course. I was actually trying to help Boonie out there.

Just because we may disagree on something, that doesn't mean I have to be rude about it. Besides, Boonie is a good guy.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Yes, of course. I was actually trying to help Boonie out there.

Just because we may disagree on something, that doesn't mean I have to be rude about it. Besides, Boonie is a good guy.

Wasn't trying to be rude. (I even included the smiley to try to show that my comment was on the lighter side and I assumed by your smiley that yours was as well)

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 12-30-2012).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2012 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
And I got the gist of both of them.
Great minds may not always think alike, but great hearts make up the difference.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-30-2012).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-30-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Works for me ...

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2012 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
I scanned this, mostly, so here's my opinion, possibly already covered.

Originally written and ratified by People much smarter than me (from memory):

WE THE PEOPLE of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice and ensure Domestic Tranquility, provide for the Common Defense, promote the General Welfare and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

This is the Preamble of a contract between a government and its Citizens. It applies to every one of us who have been natural born or legally naturalized in/to the United States of America.

Amendment One, paraphrased: The US Government cannot restrict the free exercise of religion not the free speech of its Citizens or its press.

Amendment Two, paraphrased: The US Government must allow its Citizens to arm themselves.

The parties to this Contract are the US Government and its Citizens. Foreign Nationals have contracts with their own respective governments. The US Government can, in fact, restrict the speech and movement of foreign nationals. At worst, the USA does not have to guarantee any right to the foreigner. We may, as a courtesy to a friendly government, but there is no requirement.

Spoken by all American Presidents, according to Article Two of the Constitution:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Not that he will, but POTUS should be taking action on this petition, which is now over 90K signatures.
PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Increasingly, "free speech" means expressing an opinion that one's detractors want to hear.

Is that the way it's supposed to work?
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:
This is the Preamble of a contract between a government and its Citizens. It applies to every one of us who have been natural born or legally naturalized in/to the United States of America.

Amendment One, paraphrased: The US Government cannot restrict the free exercise of religion not the free speech of its Citizens or its press.

Amendment Two, paraphrased: The US Government must allow its Citizens to arm themselves.

The parties to this Contract are the US Government and its Citizens. Foreign Nationals have contracts with their own respective governments. The US Government can, in fact, restrict the speech and movement of foreign nationals. At worst, the USA does not have to guarantee any right to the foreigner. We may, as a courtesy to a friendly government, but there is no requirement.

The problem is with how the SCOTUS has ruled based upon the wording of the 14th Amendment section 1.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Because the writers chose to use "person" rather than "citizen" in that part of the amendment, the SCOTUS has ruled that " any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws". So while the preamble may read as a contract between the government and it's citizens (which is basically what it is), the protections it gives have been ruled to apply to more than just citizens.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

Increasingly, "free speech" means expressing an opinion that one's detractors want to hear.

Nope, it's supposed to be for the stuff we don't want to hear, but may need too.
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Now I only skimmed through this lengthy thread, I'm wondering how much of of what Piers Morgan said was "dictated" by CNN? That's my question and if CNN has a stated position on this.

Granted, that's a bit off the main speech topic going on, but seeing as the media always seems to have a bias one way or the other, whos agenda is CNN trying to support?

newf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:

Now I only skimmed through this lengthy thread, I'm wondering how much of of what Piers Morgan said was "dictated" by CNN? That's my question and if CNN has a stated position on this.

Granted, that's a bit off the main speech topic going on, but seeing as the media always seems to have a bias one way or the other, whos agenda is CNN trying to support?

I've watched some of Piers Morgans shows after the shooting he clearly stated it was his opinion and referenced his own experience in Britain. I thought he stated the reasons for his being upset and adamant about the issue very well. There are usually transcripts of such shows I'll see if I can find some for you.

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/pmt.html

Also this is in the news "The CNN host became an outspoken critic of current gun policy after the Newtown shooting, which took the lives of twenty children. Morgan made another deeply personal appeal in a Daily Mail column published Sunday.

He compared the Newtown shooting to the Dunblane school shooting of 1996, in which sixteen children and one adult were shot and killed in Scotland. "It was a slaughter so senseless, so unspeakable, that it reduced even hard-bitten news reporters, including me, to tears," Morgan recalled.

He described his own reaction to gun advocates' response to tragedy in Newtown as "blind rage," and tore into those who have argued that more guns is the answer. Morgan also turned to the recent petition calling for his deportation from the U.S., and cited his own experience as a father.

"In conclusion, I can spare those Americans who want me deported a lot of effort by saying this: If you don’t change your gun laws to at least try to stop this relentless tidal wave of murderous carnage, then you don’t have to worry about deporting me," he wrote. "Although I love the country as a second home and one that has treated me incredibly well, I would, as a concerned parent first – and latterly, of a one-year-old daughter who may attend an American elementary school like Sandy Hook in three years’ time – seriously consider deporting myself."

But you know I'm sure he just hates freedom.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 12-31-2012).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
How often do reasonable people react with "blind rage"?
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

But you know I'm sure he just hates freedom.

Actually, he does. Him and all of the gun control advocates hate my freedom to own and bear my arms that they want to take it away.

I hope he does "deport" himself. I would not want him living in a country where he is afraid for his daughter's safety in the posh private school that he will send her to. Amazing how these limozine liberals cry out about safety in public school while they send their own children to elite private schools. Anyone want to bet there is armed security at the school President Obama sends his children to?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

In short tailored bursts, all the time.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug85GT:

Actually, he does. Him and all of the gun control advocates hate my freedom to own and bear my arms that they want to take it away.

I hope he does "deport" himself. I would not want him living in a country where he is afraid for his daughter's safety in the posh private school that he will send her to. Amazing how these limozine liberals cry out about safety in public school while they send their own children to elite private schools. Anyone want to bet there is armed security at the school President Obama sends his children to?

I don't know about that I think restrictions on people being able to carry what they want where they want make sense but some see ANY regulation on anything as an infringement on their rights. Of course that would be very few people as MOST love restrictions on all kinds of things, hell that's why the Prison population in the U.S. is so high.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-31-2012 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:

If he was an American, yes. But he is not, hes a guest in this country. Guests should not bash their hosts and expect to remain welcome to visit.

No one has suggested to restrict his speech, just that he is no longer welcome here to visit us. He can go back home and bash the US as much as he likes.
PFF
System Bot
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Often enough to get 2nd degree murder instead of first.
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
The Brits don't want this wanker back either:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uk-government-stop-piers-morgan-from-being-deported-back-to-the-uk-from-america

UK Government: Stop Piers Morgan from being deported back to the UK from America

Petition by hackergate

We got rid of him once and why should we have to suffer again. The Americans wanted him so they should put up with him. We washed our hands of him a long time ago.

http://dailycaller.com/2012...t-piers-morgan-back/
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

If he was an American, yes. But he is not, hes a guest in this country. Guests should not bash their hosts and expect to remain welcome to visit.

No one has suggested to restrict his speech, just that he is no longer welcome here to visit us. He can go back home and bash the US as much as he likes.

You do realize he is hosting a talk show and being paid to give his opinion, correct?

Also I think lots of people should be upset that those children and other innocent people were murdered no matter if you think changing gun control laws is a correct way to react or not. Attacking those who want a solution isn't too productive IMO.
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-31-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

You do realize he is hosting a talk show and being paid to give his opinion, correct?

Also I think lots of people should be upset that those children and other innocent people were murdered no matter if you think changing gun control laws is a correct way to react or not. Attacking those who want a solution isn't too productive IMO.

He's attacking this country ( who was kind enough to host him ) and what we are founded on, so screw him and any suggestion he has. Deporting him would be more productive than listening.

I could care less what his job is. He can do it somewhere else.
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

He's attacking this country ( who was kind enough to host him ) and what we are founded on, so screw him and any suggestion he has. Deporting him would be more productive than listening.

I could care less what his job is. He can do it somewhere else.

User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-31-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

And many people agree with my sentiment. Else there would be no petition or uproar.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

He's attacking this country........

This is my country too, and I don't see what he was doing as an attack.
Actually, he was being a good American.
Speaking up when you see something wrong.

It may not have been what you wanted to hear, but he does seem to care.
Probibly more then some americans.
Like robbers, gang-bangers, etc.

Remember, criminals don't want gun control anymore then some of you do.....most of them depend on your gun supply.

Eventually, this arms race between The good guys & The bad guys will not be about who has a gun, but who is faster getting it out.
Knowing this, the criminal will just come in 'execution style'.
"First to spray gets first say."

Both armed equally, and trained equally, (the end result of the arms race I mentioned, if both sides are committed to it), the criminal will always have the upper hand.
Unpredictable and he gets first move.

But I personally hope we DO arm everyone.
We will be able to answer this question once & for all.

"Is a well-armed society a safer (crime-wise) society?"

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-31-2012).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boondawg:

But I personally hope we DO arm everyone.
We will be able to answer this question once & for all.

"Is a well-armed society a safer (crime-wise) society?"

We already know the answer. England has a higher crime rate than America, and they have MUCH stricter gun control laws.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 12-31-2012).]

Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

We already know the answer. England has a higher crime rate than America, and they have MUCH stricter gun control laws.

We are still talking about gun crimes?
Doug85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post

Are you conceding that banning guns does not reduce crime?
PFF
System Bot
User00013170

Leave feedback

User on Probation

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Actually, he was being a good American.

No, as hes not an American. We as Americans do have the right to complain about the rules, he not being an American does not. His only right is to accept our system or be kicked out due to being a subversive. ( he agreed to this legally to on entry btw... )

And we aren't going to agree on this... which is a shame.

[This message has been edited by User00013170 (edited 12-31-2012).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

You said a safer society "crime-wise". So are we going to limit "crime-wise" to specifically gun related crimes? If so why? If you have a society with very strick gun control laws, of course the gun related crimes are going to be less versus a society with much more liberal gun laws. However, the baseball bat related crime data will inevitably be more in the former and less in the latter. Just because a society with very strict gun laws has less gun related crime does not diminish the crime they do have as being lesser. It's obvious a disamred society has more to fear from crime, versus an armed society. That's what it shows, which is what I took your question as. If that isn't what you wanted as an answer, I'm sorry.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

You said a safer society "crime-wise". So are we going to limit "crime-wise" to specifically gun related crimes? If so why? If you have a society with very strick gun control laws, of course the gun related crimes are going to be less versus a society with much more liberal gun laws. However, the baseball bat related crime data will inevitably be more in the former and less in the latter. Just because a society with very strict gun laws has less gun related crime does not diminish the crime they do have as being lesser. It's obvious a disamred society has more to fear from crime, versus an armed society. That's what it shows, which is what I took your question as. If that isn't what you wanted as an answer, I'm sorry.

Um, in the "arms race" senerio I was speaking about, guns are kind of an integeral part of that......
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Doug85GT:
Are you conceding that banning guns does not reduce crime?

See above.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Boondawg

38235 posts
Member since Jun 2003

No, as hes not an American. We as Americans do have the right to complain about the rules, he not being an American does not. His only right is to accept our system or be kicked out due to being a subversive. ( he agreed to this legally to on entry btw... )

You do know I was saying he was acting like a good American, right?
I mean, I know he is not "American".

And we aren't going to agree on this... which is a shame.

I don't think it's a shame at all.
We all want the same something.
Something that will keep our children safe.
Agreeing on what that something is, that's the only divide.

No shame in that.
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Um, in the "arms race" senerio I was speaking about, guns are kind of an integeral part of that......

That may be but it does not negate the fact that England has a higher crime rate among a severly disamred populace compared to America with it's more armed populace. If the argument is a disarmed populace will make gun related crimes go down, that's fine but one must look at the result wholly. Yes gun related crime is reduced, but other criime increases on the whole. Which do you want, more crime and less guns, or more guns and less crime albeit some of that crime gun related?
Boondawg

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2012 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

That may be...........

That's all I was talking about.
I see countries that do well without guns everywhere, as well as countries that are flooded with them.
I wasn't saying anything about either.

Just wondering what this country would be like.

[This message has been edited by Boondawg (edited 12-31-2012).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Just wondering what this country would be like.

Honestly? I have no idea, LOL.
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2012 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFDirect Link to This Post

And just who do you think is not upset?

Of course one attacks stupid ideas that do nothing to solve a problem. Just because some of us are unwilling to roll over and pee in the air and give up our rights so the weak and stupid can feel better does not mean we do not care.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock