Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Storm of the Century...well, so far anyway. (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Storm of the Century...well, so far anyway. by Doni Hagan
Started on: 02-01-2011 01:20 AM
Replies: 121
Last post by: OKflyboy on 02-09-2011 12:06 PM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newf:

hahaha you seem off your game tonight. Obviously everyone agrees with NOAA because they are not in the streets en masse protesting against them.

See I can regurgitate and take phrases out of context as well.

Feel free to check the totals and see. who knows you might be correct http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/te...er=1&state=110&div=0

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.go...ns/90day/fxus05.html

Here's an entire page, complete with links, on how the warmists are saying that the cold and snow are consistent with global warming, after they previously said that LACK of snow and cold would be the result of global warming:

http://www.climatedepot.com...nmade-global-warming

IP: Logged
newf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

Here's an entire page, complete with links, on how the warmists are saying that the cold and snow are consistent with global warming, after they previously said that LACK of snow and cold would be the result of global warming:

http://www.climatedepot.com...nmade-global-warming

WOW REALLY, your link to the denier site convinced me that it's all a left wing conspiracy!!!

Now what do they say about 2010 being one of the hottest years on record even though the same people were just as convinced during last years winter that scientific claims of Climate Change were false. Why not look at what the scientists were claiming and what they say about things like El Nina/Nino and the artic wind currents when it comes to winter in a specific area.

Why is it that some seem to take a snowstorm in winter to make a decision about the general trend of the entire earths climate?

It's normally the media that like to jump to conclusions about such things not the Scientists.

http://www.climatewatch.noa...obal-warming-coexist

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 02-02-2011).]

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Regardless of how often an event takes place--regardless of the length of the time period, whether it be a day or 100 decades-- regardless of who witnresses or reports said event--regardless of where that event takes place------- if it doestn't further the cause or existence of global warming, it will always either be considered "anecdotal" evidence, or simply ignored by those swept up in the paranoia, media hype, and/or profiteering of the global warming hoax.

Feel free to check the totals and see. who knows you might be correct http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/te...er=1&state=110&div=0

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.go...ns/90day/fxus05.html

Oh and in case you are interested the map you keep showing for winter 2011 is from this webpage where they say "This seasonal outlook does not project where and when snowstorms may hit or total seasonal snowfall accumulations. Snow forecasts are dependent upon winter storms, which are generally not predictable more than several days in advance." http://www.noaanews.noaa.go...1_winteroutlook.html
[This message has been edited by newf (edited 02-02-2011).]

Commonly known as a "Cover our butts" disclaimer--tho it's only applicable if they are wrong. If they are right, they take full credit for it and will claim it was based on their expertise and advanced science.

"(Snow forecasts)...are generally not predictable more than several days in advance."

Ironic, that the same people who make excuses for them in their inability to accurately forecast 3 days or 3 months down the road, will inversely, readily, and unquestionably accept their prognostications for a period of time a decade or 3 into the future--but only if it proves or supports global warming.

It's their map--they stuck it out there, then say "But don't hold us to this because we can't, with 100% accuracy predict weather patterns 3 weeks or 3 months from now". Of course, they are also part of the cadre that says "Hey, we can't make an accurate forecast for the short term, but we want you to believe us that in 1, 2, or 3 decades, a global warming catastrophe of un godly proportions is going to take place, and we are very very sure we are quite accurate in that assesment".

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Well so far we have 18.5" of snow with a couple of 3'+ drifts in the street.
Looks like the plows haven't made it down the side streets at all.
Snow is still falling and the news says 2" to 6" more will fall by this afternoon.

Well time to see if the 6hp dual stage snow blower can cut through this mess.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Well, if this doesn't cheer you up, nothing will. I heard on the news this morning that today, Winter is officially half over. Now, doesn't that just make you're day?

------------------
Ron

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
It’s winter, it snows get over it.

Wimps.

On a personal note I am putting Charlies map on my computer as wallpaper.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-02-2011).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-02-2011 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

It’s winter, it snows get over it.

Wimps.

Steve

Snow i don't mind. Cold i like. Its that damned ice that i can do without. Still sore from yesterdays ride out into the street
fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

WOW REALLY, your link to the denier site convinced me that it's all a left wing conspiracy!!!

You're the guy who likes to listen to scientists. You even count them. I gave you quotes from several scientists, and you just ignored it. Inconvenient truth, perhaps?

Now what do they say about 2010 being one of the hottest years on record

Here is what James Hansen of NASA says about it, from a NASA press release:

NASA's announcement this year — that 2010 ties 2005 as the warmest year in the 131-year instrumental record — made headlines. But, how much does the ranking of a single year matter?

Not all that much, emphasizes James Hansen, the director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS)
in New York City. In the GISS analysis, for example, 2010 differed from 2005 by less than 0.01°C (0.018°F), a difference so small that the temperatures of these two years are indistinguishable, given the uncertainty of the calculation.

Meanwhile, the third warmest year — 2009 — is so close to 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, and 2007, with the maximum difference between the years being a mere 0.03°C, that all six years are virtually tied.

Why is it that some seem to take a snowstorm in winter to make a decision about the general trend of the entire earths climate?

Because the warmists say that when there is HOT weather. Weather is just weather, not climate...unless they want it to be.

It's normally the media that like to jump to conclusions about such things not the Scientists.

Except that the page I liked to, the one you dismiss as a "denier site", has QUOTES FROM SCIENTISTS. Quite a few of them. You skipped right over that fact.

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Meanwhile "someone" turned the water off at the kitchen sink last night, which is the most distant faucet in the water system. Yep, it's froze solid this morning--somewhere in the north wall.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

Meanwhile "someone" turned the water off at the kitchen sink last night, which is the most distant faucet in the water system. Yep, it's froze solid this morning--somewhere in the north wall.

was it the cat... or you just being forgetful?

Cuz I *know* it wasn't Miss J.

Don, are you getting hit with rolling blackouts down there?... The news is saying it is statewide... 'to preserve the integrity of the grid'...
It's 13 degrees right now, and not a good time to have a home with intermittent heat.

[This message has been edited by blakeinspace (edited 02-02-2011).]

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

was it the cat... or you just being forgetful?

Cuz I *know* it wasn't Miss J.

Don, are you getting hit with rolling blackouts down there?... The news is saying it is statewide... 'to preserve the integrity of the grid'...
It's 13 degrees right now, and not a good time to have a home with intermittent heat.

No, but my neices in Baytown are--well, not so sure about it being "rolling". They have been without power for most of the morning, but the rolling BOs are supposed to just last about 30-45 minutes each time. It's not that we don't have enough power--we have plenty, being a surplus producer of electricity--but Texas and other southern states have contractual obligations to provide (sell) power to other states, and some of those are far colder than we are, so i can understand us keeping those contracts to the letter, even if it means we do without a little while.

No, it wasn't me--I KNOW what happens when ya turn all the water off in a house elevated 4' off the ground. It is officially, 30.6 deg here right now. 17 when I got up this morning according to the TV. Ice pellets tomorrow, snow tomorrow night and Friday. Probably not much tho.
PFF
System Bot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Your water froze?

Is it some special kind of old water that freezes at 60 degrees?

How cold did it get there last night? 20?

Brad
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Central Ohio here. The BIG storm pretty much turned into a fizzle. We had freezing rain Monday....maybe 1/4". Rained last nite and melted it all. Didnt get any snow at all...just a few quick flurries. All it did for us besides the ice was drop the temps. Id wash my cars that sat outside if I didnt have a cast on my foot. It was fun watching all the morons that cant drive wreck though on the news. I saw pics of a 4x4 Dually and a Hummer getting towed out of snow and got a good laugh.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

No, but my neices in Baytown are--well, not so sure about it being "rolling". They have been without power for most of the morning, but the rolling BOs are supposed to just last about 30-45 minutes each time. It's not that we don't have enough power--we have plenty, being a surplus producer of electricity--but Texas and other southern states have contractual obligations to provide (sell) power to other states, and some of those are far colder than we are, so i can understand us keeping those contracts to the letter, even if it means we do without a little while.

No, it wasn't me--I KNOW what happens when ya turn all the water off in a house elevated 4' off the ground. It is officially, 30.6 deg here right now. 17 when I got up this morning according to the TV. Ice pellets tomorrow, snow tomorrow night and Friday. Probably not much tho.

Get some heat tape and do the line coming up from the ground under the house if you haven’t already.

Another thing you can do is leave the kitchen cabinets open under the sink. Put a small electric or oil filled heater under the kitchen sink area underneath the house.

DON’T USE A TORCH to thaw the pipes.

Steve

------------------

fierowitch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierowitchSend a Private Message to fierowitchDirect Link to This Post
Snow. I shoveled 1/2 half of the roof, as the bathroom vents were covered and the chimney for the heat need to be cleared or we will have no heat. I will finish the other side tomorrow after the snow stops. All of the animals are warm and cozy in the barn. More snow for us on Saturday.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Central Ohio here. The BIG storm pretty much turned into a fizzle. We had freezing rain Monday....maybe 1/4". Rained last nite and melted it all. Didnt get any snow at all...just a few quick flurries. All it did for us besides the ice was drop the temps. Id wash my cars that sat outside if I didnt have a cast on my foot. It was fun watching all the morons that cant drive wreck though on the news. I saw pics of a 4x4 Dually and a Hummer getting towed out of snow and got a good laugh.

I think it changed trajectory from the initial forecasts to more north and less east. When I checked the radar maps at 2AM this morning, it looked like Toronto was the next epicenter. We got about 11-12" actual snowfall but the drifts are 3-4' in spots......like my driveway for instance.

I don't expect the county to plow my road for another day or so.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I know it's getting old for you guys... but....

It's 75 degrees outside here in sunny Miami...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
Hey 82-T/A [At Work] ,

It’s 14.7 here
And snowing like a bastard. 10 to 20 mile an hour wind gusts. But my plow cat took care of some of my plowing for me today.
We really don’t care what the temp is where we are not.

Steve

------------------

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 02-02-2011).]

User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-02-2011 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

We took the brunt of the ice for you on our side of the border. ill accept checks and paypal.
D B Cooper

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D B CooperSend a Private Message to D B CooperDirect Link to This Post

You didn't wrap yer' pipes, did ya ?
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Hey 82-T/A [At Work] ,

It’s 14.7 here
And snowing like a bastard. 10 to 20 mile an hour wind gusts. But my plow cat took care of some of my plowing for me today.
We really don’t care what the temp is where we are not.

Steve

Don't worry... I'll get mine...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

PFF
System Bot
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

Regardless of how often an event takes place--regardless of the length of the time period, whether it be a day or 100 decades-- regardless of who witnresses or reports said event--regardless of where that event takes place------- if it doestn't further the cause or existence of global warming, it will always either be considered "anecdotal" evidence, or simply ignored by those swept up in the paranoia, media hype, and/or profiteering of the global warming hoax.

Ironic, that the same people who make excuses for them in their inability to accurately forecast 3 days or 3 months down the road, will inversely, readily, and unquestionably accept their prognostications for a period of time a decade or 3 into the future--but only if it proves or supports global warming.

It's their map--they stuck it out there, then say "But don't hold us to this because we can't, with 100% accuracy predict weather patterns 3 weeks or 3 months from now". Of course, they are also part of the cadre that says "Hey, we can't make an accurate forecast for the short term, but we want you to believe us that in 1, 2, or 3 decades, a global warming catastrophe of un godly proportions is going to take place, and we are very very sure we are quite accurate in that assesment".

Yup, their map and they are indeed stuck with it. Not sure when they've ever claimed to be able to predict with 100% accuracy, they usually as far as I have seen, use the best science they have at the moment to keep refining their predicitions and understanding of the weather for certain areas. You'll notice the disclaimer was to do with snowfall not temp or precip as the map indicates. It will be interesting to see what the results of this winter will show about that map, rightly or wrongly and the reasons behind it. That's what learning is all about

Yet people still have trouble with the difference between localized weather and world climate and will use a wrong forcast for ones own backyard as proof that the forcasters know nothing about the subject of climate. For that matter some don't even seem to know when winter starts or ends.

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by User00013170:

We took the brunt of the ice for you on our side of the border. ill accept checks and paypal.

My daughter asked me tonight "Did you pick up some salt for the driveway?"..

"Sweetie, a bag of salt will do nothing on a 4" slab of ice... You and your brother get to use the steel shovels.."
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

But watch the news ... it will be MUCH worse when it hits the east coast. Sorry to sound provincial, but it happens every time.

So....I'm not the ONLY one that's noticed that....

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Day 4 snowed in. Left the shower dripping last night but it didn't work. Woke up this morning to find the pipes frozen... ALL of them. We're melting snow for cooking, but flushing the toilet is a problem. Guess we'll have to melt snow for that too...

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Yup, their map and they are indeed stuck with it. Not sure when they've ever claimed to be able to predict with 100% accuracy, they usually as far as I have seen, use the best science they have at the moment to keep refining their predicitions and understanding of the weather for certain areas. You'll notice the disclaimer was to do with snowfall not temp or precip as the map indicates. It will be interesting to see what the results of this winter will show about that map, rightly or wrongly and the reasons behind it. That's what learning is all about

Yet people still have trouble with the difference between localized weather and world climate and will use a wrong forcast for ones own backyard as proof that the forcasters know nothing about the subject of climate. For that matter some don't even seem to know when winter starts or ends.

I know that it is inconveinent for me to point this out, but snowfall is considered "precip". That too, is part of learning.

According to NWS/NOAA (for instance) tonight, in my area, there is an "80% chance of precipitation" and tomorrow, a "60% chance of precipitation" all in the form of snow and or ice pellets. No 'liquid' precip (rain) is forecast.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 02-03-2011).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

My daughter asked me tonight "Did you pick up some salt for the driveway?"..

"Sweetie, a bag of salt will do nothing on a 4" slab of ice... You and your brother get to use the steel shovels.."

------------------

Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
The county plow trucks FINALLY got around to my little cul-de-sac at about 3AM so I just spent the last 3 hours shoveling 3' of snow out of the driveway to the plowed road.

The cars are free again but now I'm too pooped to go anywhere. Think it's time for an O'Douls and a couple Advils.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Get some heat tape and do the line coming up from the ground under the house if you haven’t already.

That line never freezes. It's well insulated. on the SW side of the house and gets radiant heat from the winter sun.

Most of the near portion of that line is just to feed water faucets for yard use--couldn't bury it because of the concrete surrounding the piers that hold my house up. You can see where it comes out of the ground further down the line.

Another thing you can do is leave the kitchen cabinets open under the sink. Put a small electric or oil filled heater under the kitchen sink area underneath the house. Steve

It would have to be a heck of a heater--the underside of my floor is 5' above ground, on the north side and exposed to a howling wind. I would love to close it completely in, but flood zone code prevents me from doing so.

Originally posted by D B Cooper:

You didn't wrap yer' pipes, did ya ?

Au Contrar!!
(These are the ones that froze--no exposed pipes anywhere.)

Double bats of insulation in each joist--I just haven't gotten around to putting up the rest of the netting in this area. It kills my knees to work under there.

Your water froze?

Is it some special kind of old water that freezes at 60 degrees?

How cold did it get there last night? 20?

Brad

Temps have been around 19-36 (supposedly, tho it didn't get that high here) for the last 3 days and nights, with about 30 minutes yesterday above freezing--just before the sun began to set. That, is in town--it usually gets colder out here. The last 2 mornings, I woke up to 17-18 deg F according to my thermometer on the front porch. Not terribly cold compared to you guys, but cold for here. This was a record low for us. I forget how far back ya have to go to find a lower temp.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
With all due respect you guys have no idea about frozen pipes. Sure your pipes froze because they are exposed with very little insulation value around them. If they were installed that way up here in Ontario, they would freeze up in November and you'd have no water until April. The only way to ensure pipes don't freeze is to have the water feed 3 feet below grade into a protected area, (that is insulated or heated), either up through a slab floor or into an insulated basement.

If you are further north, you have perma-frost ground and it is a whole different issue. Usually you need to build your house around the well.

BTW, this storm is big enough alright, but, this past December we had the single biggest snowfall since 1960. This time we just had the usual foot or so.

Arn
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

BTW, this storm is big enough alright, but, this past December we had the single biggest snowfall since 1960. This time we just had the usual foot or so.

Arn

we only had a ft here, nothing to write about.
Were Don’s are he just needs to put some insulation around them and under them seeing they are in the floor joists. If you are worried about it happening again you could put heat tape on them. You may have to to thaw them out.

Steve

------------------

PFF
System Bot
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Understood, and understand there is a huge diff between here and up Nawth. BTW, I thawed them yesterday with a heatgun.
And, if the gooberment's agency told me we were going to have a much colder and wetter winter, I would have done things differently...
I shulda listened to the Farmer's Almanac instead of a group so joined at the hip to the global warming nuts.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Yay! We have nice neighbors after all. The man that lives at the end of the street is plowing the road with his tractor, he saw my boys shoveling our driveway so he offered to use his tractor to finish it up for them! Awesome! We can now get out! Woo!
newf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfSend a Private Message to newfDirect Link to This Post

I know that it is inconveinent for me to point this out, but snowfall is considered "precip". That too, is part of learning.

According to NWS/NOAA (for instance) tonight, in my area, there is an "80% chance of precipitation" and tomorrow, a "60% chance of precipitation" all in the form of snow and or ice pellets. No 'liquid' precip (rain) is forecast.

Not inconvenient at all, why would it be? I'm sure the precip is still measured and totalled. The disclaimer has to do with forcasting the precip as snow the way I read it.

Because there are so many variables involved in forecasting weather and climate, sophisticated models have been developed to produce scenarios of potential or likely events. While these models have improved forecasting, accurate longer term and even annual and seasonal forecasts remain elusive.

For weather forecasts, eleven to fourteen days in the future is generally regarded as limit for accurate forecasts, with uncertainty growing the further out a forecast goes. When it comes to forecasting climate in the months, years and decades ahead, there are many challenges in accurately predicting what the future holds. When an ENSO event-- either the warm pulse of El Niño or cool pulse of La Niña-- is identified, certain general predictions based on probability can be made at a regional level. But not all regions are impacted by ENSO, and even when forecasts are accurate, they are not always clearly communicated to or by the media, nor are they necessarily used by those they are intended to benefit.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/ctl/future2.html

But hey, I'm sure they aren't being honest, just covering their asses.

[This message has been edited by newf (edited 02-03-2011).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I gotta finish digging out the drive way. I got about half way done and decided making a wide body IMSA kit out of snow was more important than finishing the shoveling.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
So THIS is why we don't have water:

http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13952532

Water Slowly Coming Back After Main Break
Posted: Feb 02, 2011 12:26 AM CST Updated: Feb 02, 2011 6:37 AM CST

Residents in east and southeast Owasso are being urged to take it easy on water usage this morning.

An eight-inch water main burst near 96th St. N and 117th E Ave. around 1:00 Wednesday morning.

The break affected residents who use Rural Water District 3 in Rogers County, specifically the Keetonville, Oak Ridge and Stone Canyon neighborhoods. Folks there are now seeing low water pressure return.

But, levels in storage tanks are low. Crews have isolated the break and will slowly restore pressure through the morning.

RWD3 Manager Rick Stull tells ktul.com that Tuesday's blizzard made the break hard to find.

"It's my worst nightmare," Stull said shortly after the break.

He took to the radio airwaves and asked for the publics help in locating the problem. His plan worked, and a listener was able to help out.

KTUL.com will have further updates to this story if we get them.

This is our water district but I am not in the listed neighborhood.
Shananigans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShananigansSend a Private Message to ShananigansDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

All of this global warming is terrible, it's supposed to hit 80 here today. I don't miss the snow, the ice, the power outages, etc. at all. I'd rather ride out a hurricane over a blizzard after experiencing several of both.

I feel the same way, can't imagine living in an environment that is colder than a deep freezer for months. I start complaining when temps get below fifty here. LOL
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

So THIS is why we don't have water:

http://www.ktul.com/Global/story.asp?S=13952532

[i]Water Slowly Coming Back After Main Break
Posted: Feb 02, 2011 12:26 AM CST Updated: Feb 02, 2011 6:37 AM CST

Actually, no it isn't. Called the Water District today and they said there are no outages in my area so it is my pipes after all. More snow's on its way so the pipes are not likely to thaw on their own anytime soon. I've got a heater in my crawlspace now, here's hoping I can get them unfroze.

We've been shut in since Monday night. I posted above about my neighbor plowing with his tractor. Not that I'm not grateful for helpful neighbors, but all the plowing did was allow those with 4wds to get in and out easier. I tried my hand at it in the van and was able to get down the hill without incident, but could not get back up the hill without sliding out and ending up in a snow bank. Had to get the same neighbor to pull me out. I guess we're stuck here for a bit more yet...
partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
I am convinced the gods sent this storm, they are angry over the fact this is the first time in the history of the Super Bowl there will be no cheerleaders!
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2011 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Just in case we didn't already have a concept about the scope of the storm, this was distributed by the AP. WOW!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock