Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Motorized Bicycle - A build thread (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Motorized Bicycle - A build thread by OKflyboy
Started on: 01-10-2010 10:27 PM
Replies: 120
Last post by: grkboy707 on 03-30-2011 02:23 PM
OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
More progress. Got my muffler painted, front fender installed, shift kit installed, fuel lines plumbed, clutch cable installed.

All that's left is to finish the wiring, put some gas in 'er, and take 'er out. Well, I really need to adjust the brakes, too. I'm having a hell of a time getting these brakes to work right, either they're too tight, or they don't clamp down enough. Its really starting to bug me... <grr>

Pics:

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-15-2010).]

IP: Logged
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2010 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
You could always go electric.

http://www.kingsmotorbikes....e_conversion_kit.htm

------------------

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Maiden voyage on my "Survival Bike" themed Motorized Bicycle. Note: The engine has not been tuned yet. The video was taken less then 5 minutes after the first firing. I'm confident that with some tweaking I can get it dialed in better. Also, I need to adjust the limits on my derailleur, as it wants to pop out of low gear (you can hear the engine popping as the derailleur slips)

------------------
"The flag should be displayed with the union down, as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-16-2010).]

Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
It sounds kinda funny, but that may be because its not broken in yet or that the sound is just different on camera. You should be able to get it going pretty fast with the shift kit, just be sure that everything is up to snuff beforehand :P

Mine takes forever to get it started on the first go, I think it just may not like the cold or I need to tweak something in the carb but after I've run it and let it warm up, it'll start after peddling just a little. Next time I'm in town I'll bring mine and we'll have to compare
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Thats awesome! I wonder if you could make it quieter. I like it but would like less attention.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post
That bike totally kicks ass. I'm impressed and inspired. Please keep up with the thread as the engine gets broken in.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2010 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
Good stuff!

Thanx for taking us along!
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! thanks for sharing that. Further inspiration BTW

Arn
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
cool!
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the kind words, all of you!

I will most definitely keep you all posted although it might bee another week or so before I'm up to it. I finished the bike, more or less, on Sunday, but was so sick on Monday that I could do little more then get out of bed to use the facilities for most of the day. I was still pretty sick when I took that video on Tuesday, but I just couldn't stare at the bike any longer without trying to fire it up. It was damn fun, but it cost me and I'm paying the price with a renewed cough and congestion. Grrr! This, too, shall pass, then I'll get back to some fine tuning.

up next,

Tuning the carb, adjusting the derailleur, adjusting the brakes again, re-thinking the front mount (I just don't have confidence in the current setup).

edit: Oh, and it sounds louder in the video then it really is. As I pass by the camera I'm shouting the speeds, 22mph then 25mph. The camera makes it appear as though the engine drowns me out, but my wife (operating the camera) said she could hear me just fine.

More to follow...

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-18-2010).]

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
I've been wanting to build a gas bike for a couple of years......looks like now is as good of time as any to start. I have 1 speed beach cruiser type bike with just a coaster brake.......I'm not sure if I will add gears or leave it a 1 speed.
PFF
System Bot
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
So I have two boxes that remain unopened in the garage waiting for the right bike to come along to modify. I have a very expensive mountain bike that I will not modify, and although some thinks it is cheaper to buy a new one, I have not found a new one with the right sized frame in the price range I am looking to spend. I just missed a $15.00 special on local craigslist last week. The college my daughters attends has bike auctions in the spring. I might socre one then.

I too am inspired!
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
I finished the new front mount, it looks ugly, but I have much more confidence in it then the stock mount. I still have to try tuning the carb, and wiring the headlights. Here's the latest pics:

And, just for fun, here's a custom bike being built over at motorbicycling.com . Probably the coolest bike I've ever seen, and is going to be frickin' awesome when he's done:

Isn't that thing just plain GORGEOUS?!
DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Well I've had my bike built for a couple of weeks now. I used a 1 speed cruiser bike that I bought a couple of years ago for $40. I decided to make mine illegal for the start and bought the larger 80cc {which is really around 66cc}.....you need a licence for anything over 49cc. It's really hard to tell the difference looking at the motors that one is larger than the other.
I paid around $140 shipped for the motor kit, so I only have around $180 in building it.

The hardest part of the build for me was getting the coaster brake arm modified and working........

Now that the bike is build it time to start modifying it The bike is pretty fast for how it's tuned {it's not} I got 28mph on a straight road in a couple of blocks
First thing ........it needs better brakes. So I'm adding a front brake.....might as well add that Springer front fork while I'm at it.. I'm also going with a heavy duty back wheel and brake. Once I get the bike to stop better I will put a real carb...... one that has air and fuel adjustments and a nice tuned pipe on.

more pics here http://www.facebook.com/alb...2&id=100000843675600

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 05-13-2010).]

DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

DL10

2350 posts
Member since Jun 2000

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

And, just for fun, here's a custom bike being built over at motorbicycling.com . Probably the coolest bike I've ever seen, and is going to be frickin' awesome when he's done:

Isn't that thing just plain GORGEOUS?!

While I love the looks of the bike ...........I could never pedal the bike to start it with the seat that low
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post

Still waiting on the top speed on your OKfly

Brad
User00013170

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post05-14-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for User00013170Send a Private Message to User00013170Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

I finished the new front mount, it looks ugly, but I have much more confidence in it then the stock mount. I still have to try tuning the carb, and wiring the headlights. Here's the latest pics:

That's how all the big names got started.. Sticking ( surplus ) engines on bicycles. When you make your first million, don't forget about us
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for not updating things in a while.

I've been working two jobs for the past couple of months. I go to one job at 7am, work till noon, come home for about thirty minutes to change clothes and eat, then go to the next job until 10pm. Its a long workday, but its getting the bills paid, which is important. Unfortunately its left me with little free time, as my days off are generally dedicated to housework and grocery shopping.

As a result there really hasn't been a whole lot of progress on the bike. It sat for a few weeks before I tore down and rebuilt the carb, then fired her up again. Unfortunately, I was running on a flat the last time out, and ended up spinning the tire on the rim, resulting in the tube getting trashed. She's currently sitting on my front porch with a really ugly blowout.

Here's my impressions so far, though.

1) While its been a pain in the butt getting everything working properly, I can tell already its going to be a hell of a lot of fun when I'm done!

2) The shift kit, while adding flexibility to the equation, also adds a fair bit of complication to the equation as well. All things considered thus far, I kind of wish I hadn't spent the money and had just used the standard setup. Of course, since I did spend the money, I'm committed to making it work.

------------------
"The flag should be displayed with the union down, as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property."

Read my Earthship thread in Totally O/T
si vis pacem, para bellum

"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" is so hard to understand?!

DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Well you were the final inspiration that made me build one. Thank you for sharing your build. I do ride mine back and forth to the car wash I run. It's only 5 blocks away.. I've had several people stop and comment about the bike when it's parked in front of the wash.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Bump
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2010 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, its taken a back burner lately. I started working two jobs shortly after making that video, and hadn't had the time until recently (when I quit the second job) but now its less of a priority what with trying to get the Beater 'Bu road worthy again.

But just to keep y'all updated - I still cannot get it to shift right and am about ready to ditch the shift kit and hook it up the ol' fashioned way with the second chain on the left. I'm hesitant to do that mainly because at ~$150 the shift kit was a significant part of the investment and I'm just not ready to admit that it was money wasted...
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update on this. Its been sitting in the garage collecting dust for several months. I never have been able to figure out why it always wants to slip out of gear. This is a symptom of the bike, not of the motor. There are a couple of bike repair shops in town so I think I'm going to end up taking to one of them after Christmas. In the meantime I'm pulling it out of "storage" to finish up with the lights and get it in a condition where its all good except for the shifting.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
bump
Any news?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
No, the coworker that was going to build his own lost interest, and with the move out to the country its not possible to ride it to work, so I haven't had the motivation the finish. Other projects (mostly keeping the house and vehicles alive) ohave taken the forefront. I'll get back to it eventually, though. Thanks!
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2011 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Thats just flippin cool! I've always wanted to try something like this, or to build a powered skateboard, or hell even just get one of those 4 speed manual 110cc pocketbikes and slap a pint sized turbo on it and get a stroker kit or something.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to take the different approach to things, so I'd really want to try building either a large single engine or twin engine methanol powered 4 stroke setup using nitro airplane engines. They produce gobs of torque and they have a higher redline than their gasoline powered siblings. The only issue is possibly not enough displacement for the application, and exhaust noise- cause those suckers are LOUD!

I've seen something else thats insane, I would never do this unless I had more money than brains. Check this video out, ONE engine costs over a grand, he has 2 plus the supporting gear to run them... Like a $3000 investment easily, but he probably just did it for kicks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8176C-2JdQ8
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2011 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
I just purchased one of these last night! I'm gonna try to fit it on a Schwinn. I'll post pictures when it comes in!
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2011 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Well, finally done and working!!

Yes, its on a mountain bike. Yes, it burns my nards if I ride too long.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Heres some close ups of the only mods I made:
This is the simple alternative to welding the tensioner to the frame. Just a simple piece of metal, bent to accomidate the nut

And this is the prop I put under the gas tank, as my tank was not substantially higher than the engine.

And I'd like to give a HUGE public thanks to Dodgerunner! HE helped me out enormously with all my little problems
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2011 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Cool, glad you got it going!

Sorry I couldn't help more, but like the thread has stated, due to lack of time on my part, my MB has been sitting in the garage collecting dust since shortly after first getting it running (and I was far from an expert even then). I would definitely recommend if you get stuck read up over at http://motorbicycling.com/ , all the problems you could possibly run into have already been beaten to death a hundred times over over there.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 03-22-2011).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2011 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Can I just say that EVERYONE needs one of these? I just took it on its longest trip (to and from work-10 miles per way) today, and it took me 25 minutes, as opposed to 15 minutes. It took less than 1/8 gallon of gas, as opposed to 1 gallon. I wouldnt recommend going much more than 10 miles at a time, as it was getting really really hot.
I also had the most painful experience of my life going to work. I had no gloves, and it was about 35 degrees. By the time I got to work, I ran them under warm water, and it felt like they were on fire. And my legs started trembling, and I almost passed out. Sooooo, for the way home (about 40 degrees), I made myself some of these:

out of cardboard. Surprisingly enough, that and some thin gloves (those work gloves that are beige with a rubber palm coating) were enough to keep my hands not only warm, but sweat a little. I'm gonna make some out of fiberglass now. Happy riding!
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
I ran one of the 2-stroke ones like you guys have for all of two trips...it was fun once it got going, but was a real pain in the ass to bump/pedal start, and damn was it loud. Of course, they're not street (or sidewalk) legal here, so with all the noise it made I wasn't willing to gamble with getting a ticket. I thought about getitng one of the 4-stroke kits instead, figuring I could muffle it better than I could ever muffle a 2-stroke, but it'd still not be street-legal here...
Instead, I got my hands on an electric bike (for nothing out of pocket). It went well enough but of course I couldn't leave it alone...I upgraded it from a 48v/500w to a 72v/1500w system. Now it does 32mph and abrely slows on hills, and goes about 35 miles - at full throttle - per charge. Lots of fun! The brakes aren't good enough on it though!
PFF
System Bot
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
Wow, nice! I'd take electric over what I have any day, but I couldnt find any
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Direct Link to This Post
No? lots of them pop up here on craigslist and such usually around $350 for similar to what I have, though I've seen them as low as $150(probably stolen).
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2011 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post
I like your dog.

What are the rules for our state? Do I have to insure it or anything?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I like your dog.

What state? I'd assume nobody would requre insurance, and I doubt anybody would need a permit/ liscence, being that if you see Christmas lights, you hit the kill switch and it becomes an ordinary bicycle
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ls3mach:

I like your dog.

Thanks! The rules are not well defined in Oklahoma. Here's a thread on motoredbikes.com where the guy comes to the conclusion that Motorbikes are street legal in OK, he cites the laws as well: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=19023 However, when I read some of the laws he cites, I don't necessarily come to the same conclusions. Here's what Moped2.org has to say: http://www.moped2.org/laws/Oklahoma.htm

All that being said, however, I built this planning on riding it across town to work, about 10 miles a day at most. The local PD knew me from my work and by and large left me alone, so I planned on really just taking the chance that they would leave me alone if they saw me on the motorbike and pleading ignorance if they did get upset.
DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

What state? I'd assume nobody would requre insurance, and I doubt anybody would need a permit/ liscence, being that if you see Christmas lights, you hit the kill switch and it becomes an ordinary bicycle

I live in Illinois, you don't need a license or registration for anything under 50 cc it is considered a motor assisted bicycle. They do have rules for motor assisted bicycles and one of them is you can not have a hand operated clutch. that makes most of the kits sold illegal.
If you are riding an illegal motorized bike and cause an accident you will be held liable for the damages.
It's pretty easy to tell from over a block away that you aren't pedaling, I have been driving my truck when I spotted and chased down a couple of guys just to chat about their bike.

If you want one for legal transportation get an electric bike. I have a friend that has and electric bike pulling a small trailer with 3 deep cell batteries hooked up. He has a range of over 75 miles at 35mph. He carries around a print out of the motor assisted bicycle rules for when he gets stopped.

I love the way the 2 stroke kit looks but around here you ride at your own risk. I have never been stopped riding any of mine....Yet.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DL10:

....and one of them is you can not have a hand operated clutch. ....

But can the thing on these bikes really be called a clutch? It doesnt make it possible to select gears or anything... I dont see why THAT would be the deciding thing to make it illegal.
DL10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post

But can the thing on these bikes really be called a clutch? It doesnt make it possible to select gears or anything... I dont see why THAT would be the deciding thing to make it illegal.

Yes it's really a clutch......You can get a centrifugal clutch with pull starter and add it. I don't think you have to worry about it in your state, read this post for your states rules

http://motorbicycling.com/f...ycles-apply-359.html
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2011 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machDirect Link to This Post

We both live in Oklahoma.

I am not big on risking it, but I think it would be fun to ride around. I could never commute with it and it wouldn't even make sense for me to since my truck and all my fuel I pay out of my company. I guess it was really just something neat.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock