Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Motorized Bicycle - A build thread (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Motorized Bicycle - A build thread by OKflyboy
Started on: 01-10-2010 10:27 PM
Replies: 120
Last post by: grkboy707 on 03-30-2011 02:23 PM
Alibi

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Hooray for Brown Santa! He he came to me too and brought me some nifty headlight buckets today

On the bike, Its my opinion that its much easier to buy a new bike and build on it than it is to find a clunker off craigslist or whatever, fix it, and then build the motor kit.

For starters, you get to choose exactly what you want. Second, the tires will be known to be good. And third, you won't have to replace brakes or the seat, deal with crud or rust, etc.

Wally world has some decent bikes for about $100

Edit: Do I win a prize for getting page two?? I guess my prize is to go and ride my silly bike around

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 01-22-2010).]

IP: Logged
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
My little brother has one of these that he never rides anymore may be time to take some measurements.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
Doo it Mike.

That would rock. Need to gear it out, with you and Britt on it you should be able to get up to 60 MPH.

Brad

[This message has been edited by twofatguys (edited 01-23-2010).]

OKflyboy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silentassassin185:

My little brother has one of these that he never rides anymore may be time to take some measurements.

It can and has been done. Check out the videos I posted here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum6/HTML/071063.html
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Do it! I can help you if you run into problems. Then we can have fiero/motorbike meets
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

Building it piece by piece in my head:

Boy Go Fast Motor kit $117

That's Dax Shift kit $139

Kenda K908 Pathfinder Dual Purpose Tires $20 for a pair

Dual Pull Brake Lever (to put both brakes on the right side) $10

Ventura Bike Rack $14

And for Safety's sake:
Kryptonics Kore Series Multi-Sport Helmet $13

Running Total: $313

Adding a few more parts:

I've been reading about performance upgrades, and this seems to be the holy grail for performance:

Sick Bike Parts Tunable expansion Chamber $65

And since I broke my crappy rear derailleur tonight:
Shimano RD-TX51 6/7 Speed Rear Derailleur $11

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-23-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Final shots of what I've done without money (okay, about $7 in paint):

It's my first attempt at painting anything Cammo. I think it came out okay. Now I'm just waiting for my Tax Return and I'll buy the rest...

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I have to state my disagreement with painting it camo.
On a bike or motorcycle, you want it to scream HEY, LOOK AT ME... I'M OVER HERE. DON'T HIT ME."
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

I have to state my disagreement with painting it camo.
On a bike or motorcycle, you want it to scream HEY, LOOK AT ME... I'M OVER HERE. DON'T HIT ME."

I appreciate your concern but I'm not worried about getting missed simply because of my paint. Cammo is for blending into wilderness, not city streets. All the reflectors will remain on the bike, plus my 200+lbs won't be dressed in Cammo while I'm riding it. For night riding I will be adding lights and visibility strobes.

Not to mention the noise of a 2-stroke, which isn't exactly quiet...

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
I was looking into putting a motor on an adult tricycle a while back. Something I noticed is that none of the motorized bikes use the derailleur system.

At least not for the motor. I was thinking of doing that with the 3 wheeler but money for toys is just not in the budget.

I will be watching this.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
You can use the dérailleur to shift gears if you use a jackshift kit (sickbikeparts.com). Otherwise, yes, you are stuck with just one gear with the basic kit as it utilizes a large sprocket on the opposite side of the bike drive gear(s).
PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
just bought 2 parts bikes off Craigslist for $5 each. One is basically the girls version of the bike I already had, which means I'll be able to parts swap easily. The other is a Diamondback Mountain bike. After getting them home and inspecting them, I realized the DB has Shimano 7 speed Cassette, Derailleur, and STI shifters. Score! (the Derailleur's toast, but the Cassette and shifters appear intact)
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
What part of Tulsa are you in? Next time I'm that way to visit family (Dad is at 31st and Garnett and my bro is at 121st and 21st) I wouldn't mind popping by, maybe I can bring my bike?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alibi:

What part of Tulsa are you in? Next time I'm that way to visit family (Dad is at 31st and Garnett and my bro is at 121st and 21st) I wouldn't mind popping by, maybe I can bring my bike?

PM sent
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by OKflyboy:

just bought 2 parts bikes off Craigslist for $5 each. One is basically the girls version of the bike I already had, which means I'll be able to parts swap easily. The other is a Diamondback Mountain bike. After getting them home and inspecting them, I realized the DB has Shimano 7 speed Cassette, Derailleur, and STI shifters. Score! (the Derailleur's toast, but the Cassette and shifters appear intact)

Well, in the end my scrounging wasn't as great as I'd hoped. The DB bike has lead a hard life, and sadly the STI shifter is too far gone to be usable. The 7-speed cassette looks promising although the hub its attached to is crap. I'm debating swapping it out over to my current wheel and hub, but if I did that I'd have to buy a 7-speed shifter since the original is unusable. Oh, and I cannot believe I didn't notice but the girl's bike is a 24" (mine's a 26") so I cannot use all that much from it but the brakes are the same and the shifters are in better shape then my own.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
PM replied.

Well, for $10 you didn't get completely hosed or anything and if you've got room to hold them as spares then you still did ok. For that reason, its why I'd buy a new bike that didn't need any spare parts if/when I build another motor bike.

Oh, and to anyone else here with a motorbike, do you guys ever transport them w/ a Fiero? And if you do, how? Strap them to a luggage rack w/ the fuel drained or use a hitch-mounted rack?
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post

Alibi

2199 posts
Member since Feb 2009
I just got back in from riding my bike around for an hour or so... I got stares from pretty much everyone I rode past but it was fun Definately wear gloves (it gets cold!) and a helmet would be good too but I haven't bought one yet...

One more note: Be sure to clamp the fuel hose onto the nipple of the gas tank and the carb! I had mine pop off but not long enough to lose too much fuel. A bit of wire wrapped around it and twisted tight should do the trick just fine.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Another great place to pick up bikes is your local police auction if there is one.
That is where I get mine. You can get really nice bikes for under $25. I get a lot of parts bikes for $1 each.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2010 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Here's some pics in the daylight:

A close up of the Cammo paint job:
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Are you going to seal the paint with a clear or just let it be? Is there any kind of "theme" you're wanting to go with? On mine, I'm shooting for a turn of the century (last century) motorcycle. Fenders, chrome bullet shaped lights, wide bars, leather seat, etc. Granted I still need to get more parts and eventually disassemble the bike and paint the frame, but thats just an ultimate goal.

If you got a bike kit with a black-finished motor, I think it would look good with the camo and other black trim bits. Maybe a dirt-bike sort of thing?
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Are you going to seal the paint with a clear or just let it be? Is there any kind of "theme" you're wanting to go with? If you got a bike kit with a black-finished motor, I think it would look good with the camo and other black trim bits. Maybe a dirt-bike sort of thing?

No, just going to leave it as is, flat. The theme is "Survival Bike", something like a Motorized bike version of the motorcycles seen here:

http://www.ratbike.org/show/

I hear the black motor kits are just the plain motors painted black, so I'll probably save myself some money and just paint my silver kit black.

On mine, I'm shooting for a turn of the century (last century) motorcycle. Fenders, chrome bullet shaped lights, wide bars, leather seat, etc. Granted I still need to get more parts and eventually disassemble the bike and paint the frame, but thats just an ultimate goal.

That aught to be pretty cool. Don't forget to post up some pics!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-27-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Hey Buddy, here's a guy using a friction drive on his trike:

http://motorbicycling.com/f...4811.html#post147308
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
This morning I bought the shift kit from Thatsdax, bought my rack and helmet from Amazon, and I put a "Best Offer" on a Slant head Motor kit on ebay (I thought Best Offers were kinda like reserves, if you hit it it would agree, of not, it wouldn't. Had I known that they seller reviewed them, and had 48 hours to get back to you I would have just paid the BIN price. I want it to ship ASAP...)

I'm still debating the SBP expansion chamber, at $65 +shipping, it would add significant expense to the build. I think I may install without it, and see how satisfied I am with the power the stock exhaust gives first.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-29-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Seller counter-offered and I accepted. I also ordered a dual-pull brake lever so I've got everything I need/wanted (with the exception of the expansion chamber) on its way.

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 01-29-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

On the bike, Its my opinion that its much easier to buy a new bike and build on it than it is to find a clunker off craigslist or whatever, fix it, and then build the motor kit.

For starters, you get to choose exactly what you want. Second, the tires will be known to be good. And third, you won't have to replace brakes or the seat, deal with crud or rust, etc.

Well, I agreed with you, in part. I broke down and bought a new bike. Buuuuut, I still wanted to personalize it, so I stripped all the new parts off of it and put them on my Cammo bike. Front fork, wheel and brake, rear wheel and brake. Sprocket and derailleur, shifter and brake levers.

The brake cables were a little too short to work properly with the BMX bars. I have new cables to use, but I'm waiting for my dual pull brake lever to arrive so I only have to do the work once.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
You could put some disk brakes on it

Link
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

You could put some disk brakes on it

Link

I've considered disc brakes, but they're not a bolt-on mod. Your wheel has to have the right hub, and ideally your forks should have a caliper mount. The caliper mount can be worked around, but its not the best solution.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I have never liked wheel brakes. They perform bad when they get wet. I would hate to test them at 40 mph.
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Bought a new bike to toss the parts on the old one? I guess that works too :P

On the brakes, you can get extra long pads that help some, but the brakes just aren't that fantastic at stopping the bike anyway. The disadvantage to the dual pull brake is that you now have to double your effort on one hand to pull in the brakes than normal with one brake for each hand on each bar. BUT... you really need the other hand free to pull in the clutch when slowing down so that you don't kill the motor.

Moral of the story: Pay attention and slow way down before you need to stop
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I have never liked wheel brakes. They perform bad when they get wet. I would hate to test them at 40 mph.

I hope to never have to.

Yes, I intend this to be my summer commuter but it will remain a fair-weather only vehicle.

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

OKflyboy

6607 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Bought a new bike to toss the parts on the old one? I guess that works too :P

lol. Really the only old parts left by the time I'm done will be the frame and the set of BMX bars I robbed of one of my son's old bikes.
PFF
System Bot
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
That should be reliable enough then. Just be sure to make use of locktite as you're putting stuff back together, the vibration coming off some of the HT (Happy Time, slang for the cheap chinese motors if you haven't ran across the term yet) motors will loosen fasteners over time.
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
MY dual-pull brake lever arrived today so I went ahead and installed it along with new brake cables. Also installed my bike computer and got started on my lights as well.

I got these cheap-o flashlights, $3 for the pair at WalMart. They're 3 volt bulbs, but I plan on replacing the bulb with 6v LEDs. I just removed the head, direct wired the bulb, capped with a PVC cap, and used a electrical conduit hanger as handlebar mount. Total cost (not including LED bulbs, which I haven't bought yet) about $7. I plan on running these directly off the engine's white wire (6v, but you can't draw much or it kills the engine), I know the engine will support a single 6v lantern-style flashlight bulb, I'm hoping if I switch to LEDs that should allow me to run two.

The flashlights:

The completed project (Will take pics of the PVC cap, conduit hanger, and how I wired them later, may even make a write-up about it for the motorized bike forum)

You might also notice some extra conduit hangers on the handlebars. Those will be the location of my kill switch (I've heard the factory ones are junk, so I'll be wiring my own) and headlight switch.

According to FedEx, motor kit and shift kit are supposed to be here tomorrow! Woo!

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-03-2010).]

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
The light setup is very clever, but will regular flashlights put enough light out to see well enough and to be seen by others? Well, after the LED kit perhaps...

I've got an extra 12V battery from a motorcycle that I may try to rig up... I can use one of the wires off the magneto to charge it, I think. I'll have to fiddle with it and see what happens though. Or maybe I'll just skip it and use a battery powered setup and just use rechargeable batteries in it.

And on the kill switch, I have had no problems with mine, but it may differ from kit to kit. Mine is a plastic button built into the throttle and its worked every time to kill the motor. I grounded it to a screw on the frame that kept the bike chain guard in place.

[This message has been edited by Alibi (edited 02-03-2010).]

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Okay gang, I've spent the past couple of hours unboxing and installing my motor kit.

Few notes: It was packed decently.

They sent me a chrome muffler instead of the black one I was supposed to get ( and want, since chrome doesn't really fit the theme of the bike all that well).

my pedals hit the muffler slightly, but the shift kit comes with a whole new crank set, so I'm hoping the shift kits pedals won't hit.

My downtube is huge, and I had to "clearance it" a bit (ie: hit with hammer) to get the forward mounting to work. Also, because of the large downtube the forward studs were not long enough. I removed them and used bolt instead.

I worked all day and I'm starting to get rummy, so I'm calling it a night so I don't make a stupid mistake. Here's a pic of my progress for tonight:

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Looks like its coming along nicely! It looks like the weather is supposed to be in the 30s-40s for the next week or so, so you've got time to get everything mounted the way you want it to. On the front mount, if the tube is too thick you can use a pair of vice grips to slowly smush it down. Instead of bolts, you can use some allthread rod cut to fit and the use nuts to hold the bracket on. That way you would get full engagement of the threads in the motor and would be less likely to break something.

What is the recommended mix for break in and running of your kit? 20:1? 32:1? Some use different mixes for break in, but my Grubee kit uses 20:1 for break in and running. Pretty rich mix, but meh. For mixing gas I've got a 2 gallon can and use a plastic syringe called a "mix miser" to put in the correct amount of oil to mix w/ the gas to get the desired ratio. The mix-mizer has marks on it for different ratios so its handy, and cheap ($5ish), and easy to find (wal mart, automotive section).

Oh, and be sure to mark you gas can in large bold letters "2 STROKE ONLY' so that you don't accidently use it on a 4 stroke motor and mess something up...
OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post
Progress is coming slowly. Turns out for the shift kit you need a bike with a 3-piece crank, and my frame was made for a 1-piece. I now have a 1-piece to 3-piece adapter set on order from Sick Bike Parts.

Sooooo, whilst waiting for the pieces necessary to finish the shift kit, I swapped out my seat, added my rear rack and installed my tail light. I'm finished body-wise except for a front off-road style fender, which is on its way.

Here's the pics:

Papa's helper (you can see the motor is back on, with jack shaft but crank set is missing):

Close-up of the mostly-assembled jack shaft: (Note: Missing muffler - Rather then take the time to send back my chrome muffler and get a replacement, the seller and I worked out a $10 refund for me to buy some high-heat paint and paint it black myself. Its out in the garage drying its first coat tonight)

Rear rack, currently holding my helmet:

Bell tail light (Has solid-on or several different flashing patterns to choose from):

[This message has been edited by OKflyboy (edited 02-07-2010).]

Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
Very cool, too bad that you have to wait on the crank set though. Ya know, that air filter kinda looks like a cartoonish skull and if you're bored, you could always paint it white and add some black accents :P

OKflyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OKflyboySend a Private Message to OKflyboyDirect Link to This Post

Very cool, too bad that you have to wait on the crank set though. Ya know, that air filter kinda looks like a cartoonish skull and if you're bored, you could always paint it white and add some black accents :P

Haha! That is awesome! I'm SO doing that now!!!
Alibi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AlibiSend a Private Message to AlibiDirect Link to This Post
I just got back in from riding mine

Its really stubborn to get it started when its cold though, but after 2-3 trys, I finally got it to sputter to life. It wasn't too horribly cold today (about 40, a little bit of wind) but I bundled up in a thick jacket, gloves, and a cap that I could pull down over my ears. I rode around town for maybe an hour, stopped by at Subway and got a sandwich, came home, and snapped a few pictures. I don't have a kick stand installed, so I leaned it up against my apartment building. One of these days I'll fix the kickstand and take some pictures with a bit better scenery but for now, meh.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock