Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Chrysler suspends workers caught drinking, smoking on break (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chrysler suspends workers caught drinking, smoking on break by jaskispyder
Started on: 09-23-2010 09:27 AM
Replies: 98
Last post by: jaskispyder on 09-28-2010 11:41 AM
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Direct Link to This Post
We are talking about 10 people out of a workforce of over 1,000. What is that 1%? Is that so high?

Tolerances and body size can and do make a difference. One beer in not going to affect a 300 lb man as much as it will a 100 lb man.

Can we at least agree on that?

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

IP: Logged
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Tolerances and body size can and do make a difference. One beer in not going to affect a 300 lb man as much as it will a 100 lb man.

Steve

Sure we can agree on that. But, 1-2 40 ounce bottle of malt liquor, as shown in the video, is going to impair both a 100lbs and 300lbs man.

Can we agree from what was stated in the video that both the company and union both stated that drinking on one's break and then going to work is unsafe and against the company policy and rules?

[This message has been edited by aceman (edited 09-24-2010).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

We are talking about 10 people out of a workforce of over 1,000. What is that 1%? Is that so high?

Steve

That is the ones who got caught, who know how many actually do this.
The solution is simple.
Employees should have to pay out of their paychecks workers comp insurance and money awarded for lawsuits that arise from employees that are stoned on the job.
Then they can have at it.
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

Can we agree from what was stated in the video that both the company and union both stated that drinking on one's break and then going to work is unsafe and against the company policy and rules?

This, is the only part that is relevant. I seriously doubt that the rules the company set forth and the employees agreed to, specify a sliding scale depending on a person's weight, size, or tolerance.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
BTW.. they have video out there now: http://www.mlive.com/auto/i...ts_should_chrys.html
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by " TARGET=_blank>www.mlive:[/B]

BTW.. they have video out there now: http://www.mlive.com/auto/i...ts_should_chrys.html

New reporter, "Sorry to be a buzz kill, but aren't you guys suppose to be building cars?"

If I was allowed to drink and smoke pot on my job I'd be fired on the spot! I wonder what area in the plant these drinkers work at?
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

New reporter, "Sorry to be a buzz kill, but aren't you guys suppose to be building cars?"

If I was allowed to drink and smoke pot on my job I'd be fired on the spot! I wonder what area in the plant these drinkers work at?

No worries. These guys are professional drinkers and potheads. They've built up a tolerance that allows them to perform their jobs up to standard. (The standard must be half-assed.)
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I suspect the union will enroll them into a drug rehab (sans Linsey Lohan) and they'll keep their jobs building Jeeps. Just run out and purchase a Jeep built by a few drunk pot heads. If the union wasn't so corrupt these guys would join the ranks of the unemployed.
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

If I was allowed to drink and smoke pot on my job I'd be fired on the spot!

This is how I chose my career 26 years ago.
No piss-testing.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaDirect Link to This Post
EVERYDAY!

This is the average union worker.

I hope Chrysler closes that plant and move their work to a non-union State.

May the UAW lose big on this.

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 09-24-2010).]

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
Think they will incorporate that video into their coming ads?
Our workers drink and build them, so you can feel safe drinking and driving them.
Alcohol tested cars, only from Chrysler!
PFF
System Bot
ditch

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ditchSend a Private Message to ditchDirect Link to This Post
I can't believe we're sitting here debating whether or not drinking beer on a lunch break is appropriate or not. Seriously, when exactly did we lose common sense in this country? Are we that far gone? I know that in general we are very uninformed (just look at who got elected in 2008 as proof of that), but come on, this is a no brainer.

For all those who actually think this is acceptable practice, answer me this: If it is OK, then WHY did Chrystler suspend these workers when they were caught doing it? Also, if it's OK, WHY did they run away when being caught??? Heck, the UAW even condemned it!

I know the answer, and it didn't take half a brain cell to figure it out.

[This message has been edited by ditch (edited 09-25-2010).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ditch:

I can't believe we're sitting here debating whether or not drinking beer on a lunch break is appropriate or not. Seriously, when exactly did we lose common sense in this country? Are we that far gone? I know that in general we are very uninformed (just look at who got elected in 2008 as proof of that), but come on, this is a no brainer.

For all those who actually think this is acceptable practice, answer me this: If it is OK, then WHY did Chrystler suspend these workers when they were caught doing it? Also, if it's OK, WHY did they run away when being caught??? Heck, the UAW even condemned it!

I know the answer, and it didn't take half a brain cell to figure it out.

Annnnddddd......when society decides to go on a witchhunt over stimulants, we will be having this conversation over if its appropriate to drink a coffee at lunch.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:

Annnnddddd......when society decides to go on a witchhunt over stimulants, we will be having this conversation over if its appropriate to drink a coffee at lunch.

They already did. Ephedrine was once legal over the counter. Now it's illegal. Coffee doesn't have enough stimulants in it to really cause harm to yourself and others.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by aceman:

They already did. Ephedrine was once legal over the counter. Now it's illegal. Coffee doesn't have enough stimulants in it to really cause harm to yourself and others.

Someone once told me that it's good to have some coffee before taking a test. Soo.... I drank four cups of coffee and ate some chocolate covered coffee beans, and then drove to school.

In the 1.8 mile drive from school... I managed to run a stop light (accidentally), cruise through two stop signs (accidentally) and drive over two parking stops (also accidentally).

I was 18... what can I say?

For what it's worth, I think I bombed on the test... got like a C or something.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I finally saw hte video of the workers drinking. They were having a single beer, it just happens to be a 40 ounce beer. One place I used to work at called these liquid lunches.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 09-25-2010).]

jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2010 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Direct Link to This Post
thay should be all in jail for smoking pot. yes i did say jail to. last i heard it's not legal, am i wroung.please tell me.
aceman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanDirect Link to This Post
FIRED!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2...red/?test=latestnews

Thirteen plant workers at the Chrysler Jefferson North Assembly plant in Detroit have lost their jobs after a video showing some of them drinking during their lunch break was aired on the Detroit Fox affiliate.

"It has been determined that 13 employees engaged in behavior that violated the company's Standards of Conduct and these 13 employees were discharged today," the company said in a written statement, MyFoxDetroit.com reported. "Two remaining employees will receive a one month disciplinary layoff without pay."

An exclusive investigation by MyFoxDetroit.com showed workers at the plant drinking beer and smoking joints while on a half-hour lunch break just two months after President Obama praised the plant in a speech.

The TV station's investigation -- conducted over several weeks and based on tips from workers at the plant -- had outraged the auto giant's top executives, who called the behavior "totally unacceptable."

Chrysler had told MyFoxDetroit.com it was able to identify all 15 employees captured on video and suspended them all indefinitely without pay within 36 hours of learning about the investigation's findings. On Monday, it announced it had concluded its investigation and punished the 15 workers.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if the prosecutor will be following up with warrants for open intoxicants and smoking weed? That would be sweet... just icing on the cake. There are people out there who want a job and don't goof off like this.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock