Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Oil Field Trash And Proud Of It (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Oil Field Trash And Proud Of It by cliffw
Started on: 08-30-2006 09:04 AM
Replies: 100
Last post by: maryjane on 08-14-2008 08:06 AM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:
Life sucks some days.

I spoke with William. He thinks you ought to roughneck. He says you can have his job. Don't let him fool you. The new guy does all the work, .
Just kidding Randy. Everybody works. Some just work more, .
You might think hard about giving it a shot. Not always is there this prime chance.
Good luck in whatever.
IP: Logged
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35922 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:
...drilling makes a guy turn into the stay puff marshmellow guy...

Yeah, Driller's Disease.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
OH MY GOD!

Do you know what this means!?!!?!?!?

'DALLAS: The Next Generation' MUST be in the works on the Hollywood back lots.
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2007 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
hahaah engraved scrub brushes i like that...but with our turnover in employees i would have to get something like "Stu" on one brush and "Pid" on the other...rather then have them personalized... and yes i did say carrot puller...our little single is classed as a carrot puller in the patch....just cuz its only rated at 120,000....not the 1 million like u have seen...3 triplexes at once oh ****ing joy...i am gonna guess all run by screaming jimmies...i hate those oil puking POS motors...after working on a couple of our other rigs that have cats to run there triplexes i dont miss my old detroits and my duplex...but everyone has their personal preference...myself i am just sitting around home trying to stay sane as its our spring break up right now..hafta wait until road bans come off so we can hopefully get back digging..laterz..tim
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2007 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
An interesting site I have just come across. For a beginner, the experienced, the curious.
ROUGHNECKSHACK
I linked it to the oilfield section. I don't know why but, if you use the site's home link, there are links for the Power Line Industry and the Construction Industry. I have never known those workers to be called roughnecks.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
On the Discovery channel, right now, is Oil, Sweat, and Rigs. Five one hour segments of what appear to be different particular focusing. It is half way through the third segment, an offshore job which depicts the life of a roughneck pretty good. I do not see a repeat later tonight. There are two more one hour segments. Both offshore activity.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2007 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I spoke with William. He thinks you ought to roughneck. He says you can have his job. Don't let him fool you. The new guy does all the work, .
Just kidding Randy. Everybody works. Some just work more, .
You might think hard about giving it a shot. Not always is there this prime chance.
Good luck in whatever.

Good! Let me have his job
I have applied with a couple of rigs here in Canada, but no luck.. being an American and all.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post

I think I see an opportunity to create a staffing agency. Just as in any staffing agency, the employees will cost more. In this case it will be because they make more. Sort of a back door union since the oilfields have always blocked such attempts.

If you ever do this, you can count me in as an employee
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
I guess I should update this thread.

After 60 days I got a raise to 24.75 an hour. Then two weeks later I got a pomotion to Chain Hand.(Same pay and almost the same job just one step closer to another raise.)
I went yesterday and purchased myself a brand new Jeep Liberty Limited. Its a funny feeling buying a 30k car, and not having to worry about paying for it.

8Ball (Randy is it?) I could have you a job bringing home 800 a week as sson as you want. Let me know man. Life doesnt have to be such a struggle.

[This message has been edited by WBailey1041 (edited 06-03-2007).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Sign me up! Just tell me what I need to do. If I need to pass a pee test, I just need 30 days. Only thing I do is smoke a lil pot. But still. Being in IT, I never have to take a test

*edit*
Oh yea, CONGRATS!!! On the purchase Those look nice. I want either a Sky, Solstice or a Crossfire. After a house of coarse. Then a Fiero

[This message has been edited by 8Ball (edited 06-03-2007).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
PM returned 8Ball.
William, congrats on the Jeep. Pay it off or at least way down. I caution you that the oil market can disapppear. It follows a boom/bust cycle. Historically. Send me that contact info.
I will post later tonight in this thread.
PFF
System Bot
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
Yeah I put big money down *just in case* PM sent on the contact info. 8Ball check your PMs
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, PM's replied too.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
I wish it wasn't in a boom cycle right now as housing has went up three fold since it has. The last boom we had in this area was in the late 1970's. It lasted until the early 1980's and then quickly dried up. The current boom cycle were in started just over three years ago.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully I can get a few years out of this boom.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iced_theater:
The last boom we had in this area was in the late 1970's. It lasted until the early 1980's and then quickly dried up. The current boom cycle were in started just over three years ago.

The late 70s boom (in Texas/Oklahoma) was what got me started in the oil patch. The early 80s bust is what got me out of it. With predjudice. I was single and thought great. Got married, had two kids, and the market busted. I was a thousnd miles from home or so it seemed (Oklahoma City to San Antonio). I stuck around in Oklahoma City for a year waiting for it to come back. It did not so I moved home.
During the first Gulf War with Iraq, in 1990, there was a mini boom in the Austin chalk formation which runs near San Antonio. So, I jumped back in the patch not really taking it serious or trusting it. Which was a mistake on my part. I have made many mistakes in my oil patch career. I just did not know better and had no mentor. Many have Dad's, Uncles, reletives of some type, or friends which ives the legs up from everything from getting a position, to getting a promotion, to keep from being laid off, to long term understanding on how the patch works. A distinct advantage. I am here for you to give you that advantage.
Along my way into my second foray into the patch, my hard work, dilligence, self pride in my work (professional pride), and the things that I learned kept me from getting laid off in bust cycles. You see, they always drill for oil, even in bust cycles. It is just not as much.

Hopefully I can get a few years out of this boom.

I think I can help you get more than that. If I knew then what I know now, , I would have been much more successful. Don't get me wrong, I have been successful. On many fronts. The main one, to me, is being in control of my life. Doing what I want. Working for who I want to when I want to, and more importantly, quitting who I want to when I want to. Living where I want to.
Living where I want to. Let me say this a third time. Living where I want to. Randy, your PM to me mentioned that you would move anywhere to work in the oil patch. William, you are in Utah. Heck, I went to the Texas panhandle to get a start. I moved my girlfriend and married her. Only to move back home. It is a historic fact that roughnecks have chased the patch. Go elsewhere to new jobs in new areas when the jobs in the area they were in dried up. That is NO life. Granted, I am lucky. Texas is an oil state. They drill all over my back yard which is the whole state of Texas. One drive anywhere in Texas for my work week can be less than a two week everyday commute in the San Antonio area. Milage, time, traffic headache, schoozones, etc etc wise. Moving SUCKS ! You can not accumulate stuff. It does not make sense to buy a home, your money can not work for you in building equity. You may also not even be able to complete a lease/rental contract. You pay....oilfield prices...

I wish it wasn't in a boom cycle right now as housing has went up three fold since it has.

I am not sure how big Green River, Wyoming is, but, not many oil patch jobs are near big cities. I was lucky in my early career, to work near Oklahoma City and to ba able to live there. Milk also was three times the going cost regularly in the smaller towns close to work. Where you spend alot of money. The oil field is a cash cow to many small communities and they milk it. They do not care if it is your lowly teat they are pulling on. That goes for the cops also. Sad to say but revenue tickets do happen.
Back to chasing the oil patch. It is NO life. I know way to many people who have to. Because they spend like they think they are rich. They owe, they owe, they owe, chasing the patch they go. The money they make does not. Go as far that is. The oilfield inflation costs diminish the earning power. Chasing the patch...the thing about it is...is that it requires thought. Some wells are more economical to drill. Cost of drilling the well to rate of production. If you home turf the right area you will have a short chase.

The current boom cycle were in started just over three years ago.

Not exactly. The boom in your area took me to Casper in 01. I was building drilling rigs in Houston for Wyoming use, and came there to finalize them.
Drilling in Wyoming became economically feasable. Well, drilling n the Rocky Mountain area. That can change and probably will change first before a full fledged bust.

(I usually type 40 minutes a word. This laptop has increased my speed to 80 minutes a word, . I can not get used to the keyboARD...<SEE...see. That and I am very tired aND HAVE A BUNCH OF OTHER STUFF (honey dos) to get done.)

Randy, get started, get some experience. William, you have a good thing going, keep at it. When it gets cold and I mean really cold, y,all can get a job down here in Texas. Where the roads get iced over at 45 degrees, .
Excuse this post, I am incoherent right now.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2007 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for all that Cliff and I look forward to many more of these insights from you.
Texas is where I would RATHER live. I hate the cold. But of coarse for the time being I will take what I can get. I plan on calling that school Wed or Thur. Hopefully it won't be too long of a wait to get in.
I would be a liar if I said I was not apprehensive about changing careers after investing 15 years into this one. But it is getting me no where, I have a wife and it is time to get out of my dream world of being a super duper computer dude the rest of my life.
It was a fine profession when I was single. But not anymore. Now it is time to suck it up and get dirty
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2007 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I am now signed up for the Rocky Mountain Oil and Gas school. Unfortunately I am looking at an 8-10 month wait. But I have spent 5 years in this shop making next to nothing and survived. I think I can make it another year.
Thank you both Cliff and William for all your help. I hope that the months pass quickly so I can hurry up and get out in the fields to work.

Randy
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

I am now signed up for the Rocky Mountain Oil and Gas school. Unfortunately I am looking at an 8-10 month wait. But I have spent 5 years in this shop making next to nothing and survived. I think I can make it another year.
Thank you both Cliff and William for all your help. I hope that the months pass quickly so I can hurry up and get out in the fields to work.

Randy

People cancel at that school all the time, its really not as loaded as you think they just have a huge waiting list. PM me your full name, and address and I can get you moved to the front of the line. I can "sponsor you" and you can go whenever you please. If you have any questioons I have all week off so ask.
8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2007 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Thanks William, I sent you a PM.
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2007 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

Thanks William, I sent you a PM.

I have left 5 messages this week (week off) I guess the recruiter is out of town or doesnt give a damn???
PFF
System Bot
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
I finally got a spare minute to snap some pictures.

Electrical nightmare.....

Junky Cat that runs out triplex (PZ-9)

A view from the top. Bet you can't find the 3 guys in this picture??

Blow out preventer (Home of the BOP monster)

I love a rainbow on the last day.

8Ball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2007 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will, I appreciate that. That one pic is a good ways up there I bet the view from the top is awesome though!
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by WBailey1041:
A view from the top. Bet you can't find the 3 guys in this picture??

Well, the Motorman is at the rear of the Diesel tank. The Derrickhand is by the hopper at the end of the mud pits. It looks to be a floorhand ?painting? the water tank.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35922 posts
Member since Jun 2003

I bet the view from the top is awesome though!

He is not at the top but the view from there is also good. Unlike a high rise office building, it always changes. He is about 120 feet off the ground. He could get up another 60 feet or so.
I always love getting "high". It is a feeling like no other. The mast is engineered to flex and sway and it does. Many are afraid of heights but I think it is the safest place on the rig.
EDIT
Yeah, how 'bout some scenery shots William?

[This message has been edited by cliffw (edited 08-25-2007).]

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2007 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post

Well, the Motorman is at the rear of the Diesel tank. The Derrickhand is by the hopper at the end of the mud pits. It looks to be a floorhand ?painting? the water tank.

You found the Derrickhand... the other two I think you made up....??

Scenery huh?

Those are from the crown (the top)
30 foot sub structure + 140 Foot Ideco (sp?) Full View Derrick = Really freaking HIGH. And yeah it sways a little

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

You found the Derrickhand... the other two I think you made up....??

Nah, just mistook lighting or equipment. Ok, I see a floorhand toting a sack of mud for the derrickhand, while the derrick hand looks on, and there might be another floorhand on the ground between the shale pit and the suction pit. Or is the last guy the driller looking up at you in front of the drawworks ?
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2007 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

Look for the red arrows

[This message has been edited by WBailey1041 (edited 08-26-2007).]

Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2007 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
gotta bump this... how is it?

i'm not too fond of heights at first... would that be a problem?

[This message has been edited by Finally_Mine_86_GT (edited 10-08-2007).]

WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
Its great but I've been drinking so I will update tommorrow.

PS.. ask a more specific question and I can give a more specific answer.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
William, I did not get an e-mail.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35922 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by Finally_Mine_86_GT:
i'm not too fond of heights at first... would that be a problem?

No. Your work area would be about only thirty feet up. Surrounded by hand rails. There might be some times you will do some climbing but the fall protection is excellent. Fear can be conquered by familiarity. Once you learn to trust the task you will not be scared.
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
i guess what i'm asking is...

1) do you have to move from where you live to where the jobs are?
2) how long are the jobs usually?
3) how is the pay for what your doing?
4) what are the starting requirements?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

1) The rig moves every time a well is finished. Some times near, sometimes far. People used to chase the oil field, always moving when the rigs moved too far away. That has all but been eliminated. By going from eight hour to twelve hour shifts, seven days a week, and by placing crew quarters at each rig. I drive 200 or more miles twice a week (there and back). The crew quarters are equipped with washer/dryer, microwave, satellite TV, fridges, stove, ....they are decent enough.
I have never been to Utah where William works. I am thinking about going. I will not move. I will drive out, leave a vehicle there, and then fly back and forth for each hitch.

2)I have been with companies for years. Some months or less. The work is there. Each particular job depends on the depth of the well and well problems. I have been on some jobs (wells) which lasted over a year. Some just a month.
The oil field has historically had boom and bust cycles. Where lay offs happen. Those with experience and a go ger er done attitute can survive that. Early in my career, I got laid off. I never trusted the fields again as far as long term employment. A big mistake on my part. I have been at it steady since 91, but did not take long term employment seriously. I felt I had been used and I used back. I wasted some opportunities but I don't care. It has served me well anyway I look at it. I am happy.

3)I have complaints but my wife says I am stupid. The money is damn good. As far as for what I do...heh. I don't work. I think the job is easy. I will let William answer this as he basically just started off on the same foot as you will have to.

4)Now is a good time to learn, to gain experience. While they are short handed often. Standards are really just a willingness to work. It helps to have the aptitude that you do. William started off in cold country. I know you are from New York and are used to the cold. He was from Illinois. It is different working outside twelve hours a day, in freezing weather, with the winds blowing, handling frozen iron. Much can be compensated for and we learn to adapt. With experience, I can get you on down here where the weather (to me) is more reasonable, .
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTDirect Link to This Post
you have a PM cliffw.

Honestly the cold doesn't bother me. i used to work 16hr/5days a week all year round. Once you work up a sweat the cold just dissapears till you sit down for a minute.
twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2007 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I love this thread, Cliff you deserve multiple +'s from everybody here. You have taught a fellow member to fish, invaluable in this day and age.

Brad
WBailey1041

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2007 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WBailey1041Send a Private Message to WBailey1041Direct Link to This Post
I need to update this huh??

New Rig

My new job (Motor man)

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I love this thread, Cliff you deserve multiple +'s from everybody here. You have taught a fellow member to fish, invaluable in this day and age.

Brad

You have no Idea. Great ain't it lol

Originally posted by THE WORM:

1 No just show up every other week and do what ever you like on your week off. Nobody cares wherer you live we have a whole crew form OREGON.
2 The job is as long as you like. Each well can be a week to a year but you go to another well after its complete. Think of it as a construction crew building a development house by house.
3 23 an hour to start out. 40 hours at 23 and 44 hours at 34.5 (overtime) You will get 2 checks like this every MONTH. Thats 4876 Gross PLUS Per Diem 75 a day and Safety Pay 50 a day. Plus Bottom Hole Bonus which varies. So you are grossing 6626 a month without adding your bottom hole. FOR 2 WEEKS WORK! THATS 51 BUCKS AN HOUR. Plus you get a week off for every week you work. To Make it clear I will make AT LEAST 80k this year and only work half the year.
4. The starting requirements are be drug free and ready to work. Thats what they tell hands at the office. I'll tell you to be ready to work your butt off. This isnt construction its much much much harder. Your outside all day or night depending on the shift. Everything is made of iron, everything can hurt you just by falling or running into it. There are hundreds of ways to get hurt or killed in the oilfield. Come with a good attitude, I keep getting promoted cause I keep my mouth shut and do what I'm told. The guys above me keep getting fired for being smart asses or not working. If you can't do what your told when things are calm you won't do what your told when the $hit hits the fan and that could get someone hurt. Be prepared to do **** jobs starting out. Your going to get dirty like a PIG. Here I am after wet tripping 6k foot of pipe for the bit.

I'm covered in mud that burns and itches. Parts of your body get raw from it.(Think of wet carpet burn) It sucks but it has to be done cause if you can't do it you can't stay. We are short handed right now so if you want a job I'll get you on but you have to be able to go to work in NE Utah on next Wednesday the 7th.

Check out roughneckshack.com and roughneckcity.com then read this ... http://www.roughneckcity.co...__with_pictures_.pdf

Let me know if you can come to work and I'll get the ball rolling.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Your going to get dirty like a PIG. Here I am after wet tripping 6k foot of pipe for the bit.

Look at Mr Clean, . Seriously, where is the filth?

I'll tell you to be ready to work your butt off. This isn't construction its much much much harder.

You must be doing it wrong. You can work the job. You must be letting the job work you.

Come with a good attitude, I keep getting promoted cause I keep my mouth shut and do what I'm told. The guys above me keep getting fired for being smart asses or not working. If you can't do what your told when things are calm you won't do what your told when the $hit hits the fan and that could get someone hurt.

You are doing good grasshopper. No one tells me what to do and I mouth off if they do. I mean they can call the play but I am running it my way. When you see the bigger picture William, no one will need to tell you what to do.

Originally posted by twofatguys:
You have taught a fellow member to fish, invaluable in this day and age.

Well, I have failed in the bigger picture. Only one taker ?
This occupation is a piece of cake. William is just not eating his yet.
A little roughneck pride.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post

I need to update this huh??

1 No just show up every other week and do what ever you like on your week off. Nobody cares wherer you live we have a whole crew form OREGON.
2 The job is as long as you like. Each well can be a week to a year but you go to another well after its complete. Think of it as a construction crew building a development house by house.
3 23 an hour to start out. 40 hours at 23 and 44 hours at 34.5 (overtime) You will get 2 checks like this every MONTH. Thats 4876 Gross PLUS Per Diem 75 a day and Safety Pay 50 a day. Plus Bottom Hole Bonus which varies. So you are grossing 6626 a month without adding your bottom hole. FOR 2 WEEKS WORK! THATS 51 BUCKS AN HOUR. Plus you get a week off for every week you work. To Make it clear I will make AT LEAST 80k this year and only work half the year.

There are a lot of people from Texas, Oklahoma and Utah right now along with other various states as well.

It must be different at your company as it seems like most guys here start in the low teens, though they still make a lot of money because of the OT they get. A guy I work with came from the oil field not too long ago and he was only up to $17-18 an hour after being there for six years or so, he worked for Schlumberger. He still took a $30K a year cut in pay to come to the railroad, even though his hourly rate went up about $5-6 an hour.

Another guy came from I think Halliburton though I can't remember for sure. I'm not sure what he made hourly, though I don't think it made much of a difference. He just wanted a job where he would be home every night. He said he drove for them and was usually hundreds of miles away at any one time.

They both worked an average of 6 days a week 10-16 hours per day. They said they want you to be on the jobsite for a minimum of 10 hours not including travel time. They both say the oil field is the place to be if your single and want to make a lot of money though.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

...... he worked for Schlumberger.
Another guy came from I think Halliburton ......
They both worked an average of 6 days a week 10-16 hours per day. They said they want you to be on the jobsite for a minimum of 10 hours not including travel time.

Both of those companies do specialty/technical work for the oil rigs when needed. As long as needed. Many other companies also service our needs when needed. Even individual contract welders. They are support industries. All subject to be on call and work when ever for no telling how long and no telling where. (They service all rigs from all drilling contractors). Thats why you say they average six days a week, 10-16 hours a day. Not my cup of tea. I have asked many of these guys why they do it. They even average less money per hour than roughnecks. Sometimes their jobs are back to back to back to back, sleeping between and on the way to the next job.
I like set hours. In two weeks I will put in 84 hours wherein they will have put in (your figures) 120-192 hours. I will have a whole week off, they may get two days off (again your figures). Most likely not even two in a row. As far as I am concerned, they do not have a life.
The wages are also a little higher there than here. Due to a shortage of employees. The wages in William's area are also a little higher for the same reason. I have been to Wyoming and would like to go to Utah but it was/is not because of the wages. They do not pay enough. I do not work for the dollar. Many of the roughnecks I work with go home every night. I could also if I wanted to move closer to the drilling activities, but wells move. I am not gonna chase the patch.
Your comments do pertain to this thread as they are also considered oilfield trash. I doubt that they have the pride that a roughneck has though. I guess my first post did mention all kind of oilfield jobs and everybody is short handed. That's why those third party hands do put in so many hours. I am just posting because although what you say is true, it does not depict the life of a roughneck.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock