Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  Phoney eBay Second Chance Offer (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Phoney eBay Second Chance Offer by Patrick
Started on: 09-07-2007 08:07 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Patrick on 09-14-2007 05:02 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I just received this eBay Second Chance Offer in my email today. It's a fraud which is ironic because "fraud protection" is mentioned in the email. I've decided to play along and see what this prick has in mind. So far, I've pretended I'm a noob and I sent him a reply stating:

"I've never had an eBay Second Chance Offer before. How does it work?"

Any other suggestions to help string him along? l'll keep you all posted if it gets interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear eBay Customer,
You expressed interest in the item number 25016034xxxx by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder.In compliance with eBay policy, I sent you this Second Chance Offer at your last bid price.I had issued this Second Chance Offer because the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the me and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. If you are still interested please reply me at this email so i can tell you how you will manage this deal.
Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
What is the item and where is it located?
I’m sure we can find a PFF’er that would be willing to pick it up.

[This message has been edited by ohioindy (edited 09-07-2007).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I suspect the email was sent to me by somebody other than the actual person who was selling the item (a camcorder) on eBay. I wasn't even close to being the winner of the item. I suppose there's a slight chance that the original seller (in Miami Beach, Florida) has a whole truckful of these camcorders, but that's probably unlikely. Any response I get from this guy (whoever he is) to my email should help shed some light on just what game he's trying to play here.
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Now I am getting worried!!I am in the same position, Patrick!! I bid on a camcorder, and was pipped at the post. I looked up the feedback on the winner...and the only one they had was a neg...they were called out as a scammer by the seller!! I sent an email to my seller, and pointed out the winner´s feedback, and said I would still be interested, should the winner default..within 6 hours, I had a second chance offer..and took it!! The seller sent me an email today with tracking and shipping information, and it ties in...so maybe I am ok..we will see!!
Have you checked the 'defaulter's' feedback too?
Nick

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 09-07-2007).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Nick, did the Second Chance Offer come to you through your messages within eBay? If so, you're probably fine. My offer never came through official eBay channels. It was just an email.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99

Okay, the action is heating up. This jerk figures he's got a live one. I'm evaluating my next move. Here's his latest email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I`ll sell you for $120
If you are interested please send me your full name and address and I will
start to register the transaction. After that you will receive an invoice. I can't use my paypal right now due to identity theft, but we can use Western Union under eBay and Square Trade surveillence.
Since this is a second chance offer, and I can't use my paypal, I'm going to support the shipping.
Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Any other suggestions to help string him along?

How much was the item ?
Do this. Tell them that you will deposit the funds in safe keeping. Send the money to me. Then, tell him to send me the item and I will release the funds.
It will be a win win situation. For me, .
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

Do this. Tell them that you will deposit the funds in safe keeping. Send the money to me. Then, tell him to send me the item and I will release the funds.

Sounds like a great plan..... for you.

The camcorder sold for just over $150 and my bid was just over $100. There were about five other bidders above me. I can't believe this con artist actually thinks anyone would fall for this nonsense, but I suppose some people he contacts are awfully gullible. However, I'd really like to turn the tables on this shyster.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99

I just fired off another email to this bozo. This should get him excited.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you’re giving me too good of a deal for you to cover the shipping on this camcorder! Tell you what, let’s make this worthwhile for both of us. I see you have a nice computer and a nice watch for sale on eBay right now. How about if you pull those two items from eBay and I buy them from you along with the camcorder. Would $500 be enough to cover everything? I’ll pay for the shipping as well. If $500 is not enough, just say how much you want. You sound like a fair person and I trust you.

Please get back to me as soon as possible as I just inherited some money from my dead grandma and spending this money lessens the pain of her passing. Thank-you so much for your time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post
now you look like a scammer..
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2007 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Did I overdo it?
PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
LOL... scambaiter!

You forgot "God Bless!"
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Just be sure not to give out any of your personal information. Of course, he'll want you to pay by Western Union, and on the Ebay website, it says definitely DON'T pay by Western Union. I just went through some similar dealings with a scammer from Cookeville, Tn. and I got him busted.. God luck. Stick it to him.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

You forgot "God Bless!"

Scott, it's funny you should say that, because I was seriously going to put those VERY words at the end of my last email to this guy. However, even I thought that would've been over the top.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by fierofool:

Stick it to him.

I'm going to do my best.

Yeah, he wasted no time mentioning Western Union. I always think of the wild west and cowboys whenever I hear Western Union mentioned.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
The next step is to string him along with outrageous excuses for why you haven't sent payment yet. It's too late now, but it's usually safer if you use an annonymous email system like Gmail that can't be traced back to your IP address. I played with a few scammers 'selling' DeLoreans this way, great fun

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

It's too late now, but it's usually safer if you use an annonymous email system like Gmail that can't be traced back to your IP address.

Oh, I'm one step ahead of you. I use a totally anonymous Yahoo email account on eBay. This joker has no idea who I am.

Yeah, I certainly want to string this guy along. If he takes the bait from my last email, I'll see what else he has that he can "sell" to me. I'd like to do it in a manner that somehow ends up costing him money.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Tell him your address is in Nigeria, see what he does then.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 09-08-2007).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I've certainly thought of that, but I want to string this scammer along as long as possible.

This morning I got a response from the scumbag. Apparently he likes the sound of my last email to him in which I suggested I'd send him more money for other items he's supposedly selling on eBay. His response:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes,sounds good.Send me your full name and adress.
Thank you

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to go deal with a client for the rest of the day now, but I'll be entertaining suggestions to help screw around with this worthless piece of trash. Keep your ideas coming!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-08-2007).]

fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Tell him you won a laptop in a competition, and don´t want it..would he like to buy it (via Western Union), or swap it for something else??
Nick
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
I think you caught a 50 lb scammer.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2007 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

I think you caught a 50 lb scammer.

In a 40 lb bucket.

AquaHusky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AquaHuskySend a Private Message to AquaHuskyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

In a 40 lb bucket.

That's a heavy bucket.
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
A bucket that needs to be on his head That's a classic...
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I was busy all day yesterday with a client, so I didn't respond to the scammer's last email (asking for my full name and address again) until just now. This is what I sent:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, but I was in the hospital donating a kidney. Any chance you might also have a wheelchair for sale? I’m kind of weak from the surgery and a wheelchair would help me get around. But I suppose I’ll then need a larger vehicle to transport the wheelchair. Do you also have a good sized car or maybe a truck or SUV for sale? I can tell from your earlier emails that you are an honorable man and you wouldn’t overcharge me. Please tell me what you have and what payment you’d require. We can just add this amount to the cost of the camcorder and laptop computer. Oh, and also that beautiful watch. Almost forgot the watch.

Now that I’m out of the hospital I want to spend some serious money!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like a scam. Keep messing with his mind, then stick it to him. Make him pay!!!!!!!!!!
Iron_Mark_2003

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Iron_Mark_2003Send a Private Message to Iron_Mark_2003Direct Link to This Post
I love this thread. It's highly enjoyable and I hope it keeps continuing. All though you seem to be getting more and more hokey sounding and I don't wish for the scammer to stop contacting you cause he ironically would find something fishy is going on. LOL, keep up the good work....classic.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
Well, this is interesting. I just received another fake Second Chance Offer on the same eBay auction item with a slightly different email subject heading but with EXACTLY the same wording in the email itself (which I quoted in the first post of this thread). The return email address is different than the first one and the name (not that it's real) is also different. I wonder if it's actually the same scammer and he's getting confused.

It's weird that I've never previously received any fake offers from my dealings through eBay (over eight years), and now all of a sudden I've received two fake Second Chance Offers on the same auction. Hmmm.....

[EDIT] Hang on, I just realized that the salutation at the start of the two emails is different which leads me to suspect that it actually is two different scammers. The first scammer started the email with “Dear eBay Customer” whereas the second jackass started off by saying “Dear xxxxxxxxx” (my eBay User ID).

Maybe when it comes time to send these guys my “name”, I’ll introduce these two scumbuckets to each other.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-09-2007).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I think it's another scammer copying him. Mess with this guy too. This could get very interesting!!!!!!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

I think it's another scammer copying him.

Copying some thing for sure. (See the edit in my previous post.) There must be a scam booklet or site where these guys get the email messages from that they use.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-09-2007).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Iron_Mark_2003:

All though you seem to be getting more and more hokey sounding and I don't wish for the scammer to stop contacting you cause he ironically would find something fishy is going on.

Making my emails "hokey sounding" is part of the fun of course. Keep in mind that English probably isn't the first language for a lot of these scammers, so what sounds completely ridiculous to us possibly gets lost in the translation and ends up going right over their heads.

Besides, even if the scammers completely understand my responses to their emails, we’ll hopefully see just how desperate they are to try and finalize our “deal”.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99

Okay, scammer #1 has just responded:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I`ll sell you the camcorder,laptop and watch for $500
Please send me your full name and adress.
Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently he doesn't have a wheelchair or a SUV to sell me.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Copying some thing for sure. (See the edit in my previous post.) There must be a scam booklet or site where these guys get the email messages from that they use.

Yea that's for sure. This is funny. When they find out that you doing this, their going to be ticked. Tell them your name is Ben Dover, when you send them your name and address. That will be funny!!
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
Tell him to send it to you at work-
FBI Washington
Washington Metropolitan Field Office
601 4th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535-0002
ATTN: Internet Fraud Division, Spec. Agent Ben Dover
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cooter:

Tell him to send it to you at work-
FBI Washington
Washington Metropolitan Field Office
601 4th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20535-0002
ATTN: Internet Fraud Division, Spec. Agent Ben Dover

That's funny right there. You should do that. It would be hilarious.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

We all know that these scam artists aren't really going to be shipping anything, they just want a name and address to put on the "invoice" they'll be sending.

I’ve never received a phoney invoice before and I’m curious what they look like. I’ll have to string these two scammers along for a little while yet.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I see much SPAM in your future, . To your no-mail account, .
Good work Patrick, .
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35951 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Report your credit card stolen. Then use it to pay for said second chance offers. Maybe that will put a paper trail on his butt.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Okay, scammer #2 has now emailed me back. I've quoted his email below. You'll notice it is VERY similar to the email from scammer #1 with a few variations thrown in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

This is a second chance offer for item SONY HANDYCAM, and I am going to sell you this item at your last bid price US $101.01. Also I will pay the shipping. Hi,
If you are interested please send me your full name and address and I will start to register the transaction. After that you will receive an invoice. I can't use my paypal right now due to identity theft, but we can use Western Union under eBay and Square Trade surveillence.
Since this is a second chance offer, I'm going to support the shipping.
Hope to hear you asap.

All the best,
John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It pays to shop around with these con artists. Scammer #2 is offering me a better price than scammer #1 did at this phase of the proceedings.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2007 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36429 posts
Member since Apr 99
Sent scammer #2 a response before I went to bed. Hope to have a reply by morning.

John, I think it’s terrible that you had your identity stolen. It must be awful to no longer know who you are. Don’t you just hate thieves and con artists and scammers? I promise you that I am not a crook. I’ll do everything I can to ensure that you are treated with all the respect and honor that you deserve as an honest human being.

Before we finalize this deal, I was wondering whether or not you have anything else you’d like to sell. I was fortunate to win big money at the dog fights over the weekend. My lady friend loves expensive bling-bling, the more sparkles the better! So I’d be interested in buying any gold jewelry and/or diamonds you might have for sale. Let me know what you’ve got and how much you’d like for it. I’m sure we could reach a mutually satisfying agreement, if you know what I mean. I’d rather buy from you than from a store because I don’t trust salesmen. It seems that everything they say is a lie. I’m sure you hate liars as well.

So please respond quickly because money flows through my fingers like water. If you delay, I may be broke! Thank-you and God bless.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-10-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock