Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  ITS OFFICIAL!! GM to bring back the CAMARO!! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
ITS OFFICIAL!! GM to bring back the CAMARO!! by htexans1
Started on: 08-06-2006 10:00 PM
Replies: 109
Last post by: Songman on 08-14-2006 11:41 PM
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
You heard it here first! GM is going to announce this week the return of the Chevrolet Camaro. So, that means if you dont want to build one, or if that old 80s IROC is taking up valuable space, get rid of it and save up for a 2008 Camaro.
Anyway, Here is the link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14217560/

to bad its not an announcement of the return of the Fiero!!

S. Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

[This message has been edited by htexans1 (edited 08-06-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
too bad it looks like ass and will probably drink fuell like water

ill stick to motorcycles
Zewerr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZewerrClick Here to visit Zewerr's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZewerrDirect Link to This Post
It'll probably just be a rebadged Colbalt!
InDeX420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InDeX420Click Here to visit InDeX420's HomePageSend a Private Message to InDeX420Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mysticfire6602:

ill stick to motorcycles

GREAT! we need more organ donors!
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
if you drive a bike normally its perfectly safe. i just prefer better performance with awsome gas mileage. i guess that maes me wierd i just cant understand the obsession people have with v8's
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Welll... They pretty much had to.

Ford already has a runaway best seller with the Mustang.
Dodge is going to start selling Challengers in the 2008 model year. The clamor for that one has been almost deafening, if you want to believe the enthusiast magazines. (Me? I want one. Bad.)

Chevy had to do something to appeal to the gearheads. Not everybody who wants a RWD V8 wants to have to buy a truck to go with it. Chevy was going to be reduced to selling Cobalts to the really young folks, Silverados to the construction folks, Tahoes and Trailblazers to the soccer moms, and Impalas to the police departments. And all the gearheads were going to be across town buying Mustangs and Challengers, or still window-shopping for Corvettes.
AJ7

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJ7Send a Private Message to AJ7Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mysticfire6602:
i just cant understand the obsession people have with v8's

easy, its called torque.. anyone that has driven a car with a sbc and a car with a v6 knows that i'm talking about..
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zewerr:

It'll probably just be a rebadged Colbalt!

It's a rebadged GTO which is a rebadged Holden Monaro
Sure, it's got power, but I sure as heck wouldn't call that overweight, uninspired thing a real "GTO".

[This message has been edited by FieroGT42 (edited 08-06-2006).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:
Sure, it's got power, but I sure as heck wouldn't call that overweight, uninspired thing a real "GTO".

The new Camaro may share a platform with a Pontiac 'sibling' but they apparently haven't decided whether it's going to be a GTO or a Firebird or something else. But it's an all new platform from what I understand. It's not going to be a rebadged anything.

Edit - Having said all that... I hope GM doesn't screw it up.
The have some of the best ideas going, but seem to find a way to beat them into mediocrity by the time they hit the showrooms.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-06-2006).]

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

I'll take the Monaro-GTO over any of the Camaro-Firebirds from any year. The Tempest/Lemans of the day were ugly cars even with the GTO option package. I guess the Nova-GTO was a real GTO too?

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-06-2006).]

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

The plan is to build it on the new Zeta platform:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Zeta_platform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro

It should be the best Camaro ever built. Better structure. Alloy V8. Four wheel independent suspension.

Personally - I'd rather have the same chassis with a useable sleeper sedan. The Camaro looks like it would attract too much attention. And if youre gonna have four seats, you might as well have four doors.

PFF
System Bot
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cccharlie:

And if youre gonna have four seats, you might as well have four doors.

OMG, why the heck would you want a practical car? What the heck would it be good for?! If I didn't need to have something impractical I would have a Fiero
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
and 1 year later (2009) the GTO will return with the "older look"

new camaro video
http://videos.camaroz28.com/recentvideos/8/86c26841-4601-4ec1-9b65-6fc36b4f7f51.htm

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 08-07-2006).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I still think it looks like a constipated mustang.
swisscheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for swisscheeseClick Here to visit swisscheese's HomePageSend a Private Message to swisscheeseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

or if that old 80s IROC is taking up valuable space, get rid of it and save up for a 2008 Camaro.

How about keeping it AND save for a new one?

------------------
His:
´91 Camaro Z28
´87 Pontiac Fiero GT

His and Hers:
´03 Volvo V40 T4

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
No thanks. I would rather spend my money on a reproduction 68 than buy a new one. It just dosent do it for me, when I first saw the Challanger all I could think was HELL Yes someone is finaly going to make a new car that I like. But when I look at the new Camaro I just see another sadan that just dosent get me going. Nope I will pass and spend my money on my Fiero.

------------------
Click here to hear my cars

firstfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 06:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firstfieroSend a Private Message to firstfieroDirect Link to This Post
People with mullets rejoice the camaro is back!!!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060522_2007_chevy_camaro_ concept/

Sorry to burst your bubbles. It was just on the news a few minutes ago. Typical GM blunder. It looks JUST LIKE THE LAST ONE with a new hood.........big deal. Looks absolutely nothing like the concepts shown above. Oh they did put dual wide stripes decals down the center. You dont have to wait till it comes, just buy a 2000 one, buy an aftermarket hood with a scoop and paint the stripes and tell all your neighbors you just spent your $35K on a new car.............not. LOL

* didnt you think it odd that press release didnt include a photo of such an awaited return ??

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-07-2006).]

cancerkazoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cancerkazooClick Here to visit cancerkazoo's HomePageSend a Private Message to cancerkazooDirect Link to This Post
On wiki I noticed the G8 on the Zeta platform. 400hp v8 + AWD
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
looks like i'm going have to sell my two fieros and my '69 conv't (camaro) to get the new one.
i guess i'll start saving now and when it comes out i'll have a nice down payment.

PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
The Camaro is coming back?

Hmmm. I just can't seem to give a damn.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

looks like i'm going have to sell my two fieros and my '69 conv't (camaro) to get the new one.
i guess i'll start saving now and when it comes out i'll have a nice down payment.

Id rather have the ' 69 than a 2000 model with a new hood myself......

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
Wonder what the pontiac trans am will look like
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2006 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Its not a 2000 model with a new hood. Roger, where are you getting that? I highly doubt that GM would show us this prototype all the damned time just to re-release an older model.

If I were to buy a new car within the next couple of years....it'd be either a new Camaro Z28/SS, a Sky Redline, or a Solstice GXP. No other cars appeal to me. The Mustang - there's just way too many of them, and 300 hp in the GT just isn't enough for a 3500 lb car. Also, no 6-speed manual is offered, just a 5-speed manual. The Challenger - Looks too retro, at least the Camaro looks like its getting a little bit of progress. Also, will the Challenger come with a 6-speed manual? I hate what they did with the Chargers, they just look like bloated sedans and they only come in automatics. If I wanted a fast sedan that only comes in an auto, I'd buy a Grand Prix GTP. Also...from some sources I've heard that the Camaro will be much more powerful. Think of a weak 3.9L OHV V6 in the base for the high school girls, a 400 hp LS2 in the Z28, and possibly a 500 hp LS7 in the SS. With Mustang coming out with the Shelby GT500 or whatever with 475 hp GM will have to step up with the Camaro. As for the body, I could see the prototype body being used in the production model, with the exception of the side-mirrors and possibly a little larger windows. And trust me, those 21" or 22" wheels they have on there won't get into production models, it'll probably have some 17"'s or 18's if we're lucky.

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/tinton

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They showed them driving around an orange and white one on the Today Show this morning. Didnt see a good rear view, but looked just like the last ones made except for a ram air looking single scoop. even had the goofy blended in mirrors.

Yes they would bring out an improved older model. They dont have the money first off, and couldnt already have body dies built in less than 6 months. DC can because all their concepts that they do bring out as production are almost direct copies of the original protype and they do it in 1-2 years. Dont you think if this was going to be the radical ' new ' Camaro like every hopes after seeing the concept, that they would be plastering big photos all over the press releases? No, instead they just 'tell' you all about it. Ill bet their hoping no one saw it this morning on tv.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-07-2006).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:
...The Challenger - Looks too retro...

I don't expect you to understand this, because you weren't around when Challengers could still be purchased new, but the new Challenger is *just right*, IMHO. The original only had one or two awkward angles. Even those were fixed, this time around.
It's also possible that the Challenger was designed to appeal to those of us who owned them in high school. That was kind of the original plan for the Mustang, and it worked brilliantly.

GM has chosen a more modern approach to 'retro'. I don't think it's going to appeal to the hardcore fans of the 67-69 models as much as its Ford and Dodge counterparts have.
But then again, it may appeal more to the younger folks than the others. Your opinion would tend to bear that out.
It would be nice if it was priced so that a young person could actually afford to buy the damned thing.

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Sorry to burst your bubbles. It was just on the news a few minutes ago. Typical GM blunder. It looks JUST LIKE THE LAST ONE with a new hood.........big deal. Looks absolutely nothing like the concepts shown above.

mmmmkay.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-07-2006).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

GM Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner is expected to announce the return of the muscle car in a speech Thursday at an automotive conference in Traverse City, the Detroit Free Press reported Sunday.

!!!!

Maybe I should be there for that

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060522_2007_chevy_camaro_ concept/

Now, you KNOW the fender/tire gap is gonna be way bigger than that.

Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I guess us older guys appreciate muscle that comes with style and not just some bubble look-alike of everything else out there. I love the Challenger.. completely retro done right.. I like the Mustang better than anything they have done since 1969... I hope the next GTO will look more like the 99 prototpye than the steroided Grand Am that we have now... And I do like the Camaro prototype as well.. Yes, old farts like us would rather buy a 69 clone with modern tech but until that happens, this ain't too bad. I'm still a Pontiac guy though.. I want to see this car in white and blue with a dual snorkel hood and an arrowhead on the front!

------------------

4th Annual California Coast Run
October 27-29, 2006
San Simeon, California

Tammykos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TammykosClick Here to visit Tammykos's HomePageSend a Private Message to TammykosDirect Link to This Post
My first car....a red/black 1979 Camaro Rally Sport. I sure miss that car (tears starting to well up). But hey! Replaced it with a brand new 1986 Fiero, so the grief didn't last long.

Tammy
My drinking team has a bowling problem
PFF
System Bot
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post
Is it just me, or is this now the second time Chevy has reacted to the success of the Mustang? If the Mustang hadn't been so successfull with the 2005 model year, do you suppose Chevy would've brought back the Camaro? Just a question. Not trying to instigate anything.

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:
I want to see this car in white and blue with a dual snorkel hood and an arrowhead on the front!

Like this?

Just for grins, here are a couple more.

There's a 5 page thread at LS1tech.com
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433361
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Please don't build those, oh please, oh please......
NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how many of the "it looks like sh** " crowd have actually seen one in the "flesh."
I saw it at the HotRod Magazine Power Tour. Walked all around it. No test drives.
Like the Pontiac Solstice, the real Camaro looks way better than the pictures.
I'm sure the wheels on the show car will shrink, due to cost/practicality reasons.
But its a very nice looking car. With modern engineering under the slightly retro skin.
It's bigger than the older Camaro, and has a slightly more useable back seat and trunk.
I think GM MAY have a winner here. It will remain to be seen how many potential pony car buyers will choose GMs Camaro over the Charger, Challenger or Mustang.
It WILL be the "new car" but will the percieved price vs content click with the public? GM has lost an awful lot of brand loyalty with poorly built, poorly designed cars over the last 20 years.....

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 08-07-2006).]

under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
Those pics have got to be the ugliest damn thing on wheels since ford built the fiesta.

If this is what the car industry is comming to----I'm taking up Bycicles.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by under8ted:

Those pics have got to be the ugliest damn thing on wheels since ford built the fiesta.

If this is what the car industry is comming to----I'm taking up Bycicles.

Don't hold back. We can take it.

FrugalFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrugalFieroDirect Link to This Post
If the new Camaro / TransAm / GTO doesn't include a low optioned model with just the go fast goodies for around 25K, it isn't going to sell any better than the previous model run. Ford seems to be able to manufacture a stripper go fast Mustang GT for around that price.

Tim
loafer87gt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for loafer87gtSend a Private Message to loafer87gtDirect Link to This Post
Good god, leave it to the folks at GM to once redefine the term "butt ugly". Looks like a cheap attempy to cash in on Ford and Dodge's success with their retro inspired vehicles. However, like the HHR and its big brother the SSR, GM has horribly missed the mark.
Songman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2006 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Like this?

Well, I guess it takes all kinds. Obviously some people think it is 'butt ugly' and others of us think it looks pretty fantastic. But then some liked the so-called GTO and I couldn't rellt stand the thought of it... Different strokes...

Steve, that is exactly what I was talking about! Even down to the extractors on the front fenders behind each wheel. All it needs now to be correct is a wing on the back... And I'd like to see it with some hideaway headlights too even though that wasn't on the original Trans Am. The front end just screams for it. I don't really care for the blue one so much, but as an owner of a 69 Firebird, I love the retro Trans Am!

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-07-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock