Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T - Archive
  ITS OFFICIAL!! GM to bring back the CAMARO!! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
ITS OFFICIAL!! GM to bring back the CAMARO!! by htexans1
Started on: 08-06-2006 10:00 PM
Replies: 109
Last post by: Songman on 08-14-2006 11:41 PM
Greg Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
Just my opinion, but in picture form i think the car is ok/cool from almost any angle EXCEPT THE FRONT WHICH IS HIDIOUS!
But, i bet in person it will probally look better than the pictures(that seems to be the trend latly)
BTW: I love the 69 Camaro and i'm thrilled thats the yr they decided to copy.
Heres a pic of mine

------------------

IP: Logged
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2006 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Greg Z:
...But, i bet in person it will probally look better than the pictures(that seems to be the trend latly)...

You may be right. I watched the Road and Track video that Neptune posted earlier.
It looks better to me than the first (or second or third) impression that I got from the still photos.
I believe "they" (whoever "they" is) said that whoever designed the C6 Corvette also had a hand in this design. I saw the same kinds of retro cues that I see in the Vette. They are much more apparent in the video than the stills.
I think this thing is going to be a beautiful car.

I still want a Challenger.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ill be waiting for any new Camaro with my Challenger, already ordered Hemi Orange, 6.1 with 5 spd auto slapstick. Im too old for playing in traffic with sticks anymore.
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYDirect Link to This Post
GM TO BRING BACK THE CAMARO!
mullets everywhere dance and sing in the streets
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2006 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:
mullets everywhere dance and sing in the streets

Stereotype much?

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Stereotype much?

Notice it is always northerners who do that? Every mullet or trailer park comment has been made by people who live above "the line". As if they don't suffer from those things up there...

The worst thing is that the people who always talk about mullets apparently don't even know what one is. I've been accused of having a mullet repeatedly by that type on this forum for years. Definitely not a mullet.

Like I said before, Camaros and Trans Ams have always pretty much been a 'country boy' car so I'll take the ribbing by people who don't know any better. I think the car looks dang good. Yee Haw!
kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:
Notice it is always northerners who do that?

Stereotype much?
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
No, not at all actually. I posted the statistics of this thread, not an opinion or belief. Look back at the thread. EVERY derogatory remark stereotyping people came from northerners. It is just a fact.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2006 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Notice it is always northerners who do that? Every mullet or trailer park comment has been made by people who live above "the line". As if they don't suffer from those things up there...

The worst thing is that the people who always talk about mullets apparently don't even know what one is. I've been accused of having a mullet repeatedly by that type on this forum for years. Definitely not a mullet.

Like I said before, Camaros and Trans Ams have always pretty much been a 'country boy' car so I'll take the ribbing by people who don't know any better. I think the car looks dang good. Yee Haw!

Not a mullet. Isn't a mullet short in the front and long in the back? These are mullets: http://www.cowboysfringants.com/media/heavy_metal.html . Funny thing is...they're from Quebec, and from what I've heard mullets are/were pretty popular up there.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Billy Ray Cyrus brought the mullet to the forefront way back when...

Brad Pitt wore a mullet in the early days.

Even Bono sported a mullet at one time and I am pretty sure he is not a redneck.

Look at any 80s movie. It was definitely not a redneck thing. Only the 'classy' people got perms in the back and thought it was cool.

Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2006 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgDirect Link to This Post
I had my hair cut all kinds of ways and it's always called a mullet by some.
I have come to learn that a "mullet" is not a hair style, but a direct reflection of the person using it.
It's a word used as a negitive, to make the person using it feel like a positive.

Or, I could just be mullet defensive!

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Hehe. I had a mullet back in the day but, from where I'm from it was called a "Shag."

As for the Camero, I think it just an American icon. No need to associate the car with one group of people. As for the overall look of the car----I like it. I'd doubt seriously GM will stick to the concept.
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2006 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALDirect Link to This Post
It's amazing how quik you criticize this car,especially since it's an american car,every one says how proud they are to be american and you support the imports, it seems to me that todays americans are quik to put down everything american but if it's japanese or german nothing but praise,it makes me mad that there is no more pride, i guess the great american sell out has begun,we should call it the united states of japan or germany, which one do you like the most mister proud american!
buy drive push fixs my gm till i die.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I got to test drive a new 08 Challenger at the Mopar Nationals yesterday. It happened to be orange and I wanted to just take it home....now I cant wait another year..............

I still consider any car still made under the name of the original company name an American car, ie/ Chrysler, Ford, GM, etc. There are no longer any true one country cars. Parts for every kind are made everywhere in the world. All the ' American' cars prob have a minimum of 30% of their parts made from countries like Mexico and Japan. Dodge Magnum has Japanese and Korean electronics, German trans and chassis components, Mexican Hemi engine, Canadian Body and final assembly.

AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALDirect Link to This Post
yes all parts are made everywhere but GM and FORD started here in this country not abroad,and if it weren't for these american companies this country would not have been so succesful,why are we forgetting what drove us here.god help this country.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Steve, that is exactly what I was talking about! Even down to the extractors on the front fenders behind each wheel. All it needs now to be correct is a wing on the back... And I'd like to see it with some hideaway headlights too even though that wasn't on the original Trans Am. The front end just screams for it. I don't really care for the blue one so much, but as an owner of a 69 Firebird, I love the retro Trans Am!

Well, as a former owner of both a '69 Firebird and a '72 Trans Am, I love 'em both.
Lucerne Blue has got to be one of my all time favorite car colors.

Now, the white T/A needs a couple of tweaks, though. Square headlights, and squarish fog lights to resemble the turn signals used on the 70's Firebirds. Hideaway headlights would be cool, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an RS Camaro with them. Not sure if I'd want to copy that, but it would look good. Do it similar to the '69 GTO hideaways.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2006 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Dodge brothers started here just as Henry Ford did. Im not sure but I think they were in business before Chevrolet and Im pretty sure GM didnt exist untill at least in the 30s.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Olds Motor Vehicle Company, Inc., the oldest unit of General Motors Corporation, was founded in 1897.
http://www.gm.com/company/corp_info/history/gmhis1900.html

General Motors was officially organized in 1908 incorporating the Buick Motor Company. (Buick was founded May 19, 1903)

Chevrolet Motor Company was incorporated in 1911 and bought by GM in 1918.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-13-2006).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Dodge Brothers didn't start as an auto manufacturer till 1914 so they were 11 years behind Ford. Prior to that they made bicycles. But the did invest in Ford Motor Company when Henry Ford was looking for investors. But Dodge is still an American auto company as far as I am concerned.

Ford incorporated in the same year Mr Harley and Mr Davidson started putting motors on their bicycles and calling them motorcycles - 1903.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-13-2006).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...I am kind of more partial to this T/A concept:

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2006 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
That's more like the later 'Bandit' edition... But I still like it. Thanks for the pic!

------------------

4th Annual California Coast Run
October 27-29, 2006
San Simeon, California

PFF
System Bot
mysticfire6602

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2006 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mysticfire6602Send a Private Message to mysticfire6602Direct Link to This Post
if any car should be re-made, it shouldnt be the camaro/firebird. it shouldnt even be the charger or challenger. not even the mustang should hav been made to look retro. the ONLY car that should come back as a retro model should be the gremlin!
FieroGT42

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

Don't believe everything you read in wikipedia. Anyone can post news there.
It has been getting reported over here in the press for weeks now as being based on the new VE Holden Commodore platform. That is a good thing as the all new Commodore is supposed to be a world beater. Due for release next month.

So is that "official" then? Commodore platform? Is that in addition to the Monaro, or replacing it... because that would mean no platform for the GTO, or start building it on the Commodore and have Camaro + GTO (no Trans Am), which is what I heard recently. Are they actually going to have a Trans Am with the Camaro, or is that all still just concept art and wishful thinking? Drop the GTO in favor of the Trans Am? I mean what the hell would they do with a GTO and a Trans Am anyway? Not make boatloads of money, that's for sure.

I'm sick of hearing speculation and people arguing over what each side insists are facts without proof. Does anybody have 100% official info on the future of the GTO and Camaro/Trans Am, and what platforms they will be built on in the future? I'm not saying anyone is a liar, I just haven't seen any primary information sources yet. I would really appreciate it.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Absolute proof...

Production car based on concept, built on Australian design chassis...

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/08/10/gm_revives_chevrolet_camaro_muscl e_car/

Some quotes...
"The sport coupe will be nearly identical to the Camaro concept that was introduced at the North American International Auto Show earlier this year."

"The car was engineered in Australia and will be built in North America, Wagoner said at the Center for Automotive Research Management Briefing Seminars in Traverse City."

"Production will begin at the end of 2008 and the Camaro will go on sale in the first quarter of 2009."

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-14-2006).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
As I understand it, the platform that the Monaro is built on is fairly old and will not meet 2007 US crash test standards, so it had to be replaced, taking the GTO with it (not that the GTO was selling all that well anyway, which is a pity because its actually a very nice car). The Zeta platform is the replacement, for both Holden and GM USA.
LITEDAZE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...I am kind of more partial to this T/A concept:

the only difference between the T/A proto and Camaro proto is the front piece, which still has almost every line that the other has....I find it discouraging that in all of this future planning, they will try to bring 2 cars back and make them look identical......why can't they make the cars look different from eachother? I hope the trans AM idea never makes it to production until they design a more unique one.

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Camaro and Trans Am have always been mostly identical cars. My opinion is that making them into two different cars would be a mistake.
LITEDAZE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LITEDAZESend a Private Message to LITEDAZEDirect Link to This Post
they had more distinguishable features than a different front fascia...come on now....GM laziness at it's best
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, different front fascia, different taillight treatment, different rear spoilers, different side vents (on the years that offered them), and different interiors. But the basic body and platform was always the same. GM has always had basically the same car in all divisions other than Cadillac. Same with Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury. It is not laziness. It is cross branding. And I am a perfect example of why they do it. I am a Pontiac man. I would rather drive a Trans Am than a Camaro, a Grand Prix than a Monte Carlo, a Ventura than a Nova. It makes good business sense to easily give Pontiac fans a car that has the sexy look of the Camaro but still allow them to be loyal to the brand they love. It is inexpensive for the manufacturer since it is built on the same assembly line with just a switch of a few parts. The difference in the concepts we have seen in this thread are right in line with the differences between Camaros and Trans Ams of the past.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 08-14-2006).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2006 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Songman

12496 posts
Member since Aug 2000
Wow... This was such a hot topic. I expected more discussion after the official announcement came out...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock