Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Best Theft Deterrents - What do you think? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Best Theft Deterrents - What do you think? by Boostdreamer
Started on: 06-30-2012 07:16 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: Snapperhead on 07-19-2012 08:14 AM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2012 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I can hear it start a mile away
IP: Logged
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
The only thing that truely worked for me was moving to a better neighborhood. I don't even lock my doors now, in fact I often leave the keys in the ignition for convenience sake.
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Own a stick shift as few people today can drive a stick. I saw a story on the news they tried to car jack a car but has to ask the driver to stay with the car as they could not drive the 5 speed.

To be honest nearly every system out there can be defeated if they want your car bad enough.

The simplest and easiest is likes stated remove the coil wire as few thiefs will take the time to fix it. Also a magnetic kill switch is effective. I used to work on cars in the hood and I found that guys who used this seldom had an issue. You just had to put a switch behind the dash you then just used a magnet to go over it to switch it on. Unless you knew where to look for it was hard to find.

Generally if they want you car they will just tow it or flat bed it away anymore.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Many of us have thousands invested in our Fieros and custom cars ARE attractive to thieves.
After reading this post:
1. Ignition KIll switches are easily defeated by an experienced thief , plus if you jump the battery to starter lead the engine turns over.
2. Battery disconnect switches cause you to lose your ECM/PCM memory settings that take 30-60 minutes to recover.
3. All of these ideas do nothing if the car is towed away or put on a flat bed trailer. This is the most common way that cars are stolen these days.

I have decided to buy this tracker and get a prepaid SIM card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM...&hash=item25719d5099
The device comes with a charger and has a 96 hour standby time. When I take my Fiero on overnight trips to car shows it will give peace of mind. It always tells you where the car is located

Review of this device can be found here:
http://gps-tracker-review.t...-tracker-review.html

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-04-2012).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
In the review that you listed it made reference to either getting a pre paid sim card or adding it to your existing cell plan. If I can add it to my straight talk plan for no additional charge that would of course be my choice. Telestial sim cards also has a $5 card that might work. I want one of those trackers too. Please let us know how yours turns out.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Everyone has made good points. What would cause a thief to look at the car and move on to the next one? If we're talking theft deterrents, you really have to think in terms of something visual that makes a thief go away.

Jonathan
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
I've always thought that the idea of alarms and clubs and visual deterrence were more for the "feel good'ness" of the owner than for keeping car thieves at bay. Cause someone who wants your car, is going to know how to get around the alarm, or club, or whatever.

It seems to me that the best way to keep your car where it is.. is to make it immovable. More than just not starting, cause let's face it, you put it in neutral, it's going to move.

My thought is a set of line-locks on all 4 wheels. If front line locks will keep your 600whp beast in the water box while you smoke the tires.. Then one at each wheel should keep that bad boy firmly planted in place. The point is simple, make it as conspicuous as possible to take your car.. If someone tries to hook it and drag it up to a flat bed, imagine how much noise it's going to make having 4 squealing tires dragging their feet along the asphalt.

If someone happens to get into your car and start it up... imagine how silly they are going to look and feel trying to drive your car away with every wheel fighting them back with a resounding *NO*.

just my thought.
My Username Is

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My Username IsSend a Private Message to My Username IsDirect Link to This Post
Here's the solution you're looking for:

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
One night I was driving along and getting tired. I pulled over to catch a few minutes of sleep. While I was sleeping, a car pulled over and started to back up to my Fiero. As soon as they noticed I was in my car, they took off, but I got their plate and was able to call it in. Seems there had been a rash of break ins along that stretch of highway...
The alternative might be to have a mannequin in your car... Or hire guards to sit in it...
Even rock bands and tv personalities have had cars stolen, if it is unattended, it can be gone.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Its interesting I wonder why ADT, Brinks...etc havent started car security systems.
GPS located maybe, and a call to you or the cops if you don't answer. You just arm it.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I've got mine on order from China. I ordered the newer tk102b model with the hard wired car charger.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Many of us have thousands invested in our Fieros and custom cars ARE attractive to thieves.
After reading this post:
1. Ignition KIll switches are easily defeated by an experienced thief , plus if you jump the battery to starter lead the engine turns over.
2. Battery disconnect switches cause you to lose your ECM/PCM memory settings that take 30-60 minutes to recover.
3. All of these ideas do nothing if the car is towed away or put on a flat bed trailer. This is the most common way that cars are stolen these days.

I have decided to buy this tracker and get a prepaid SIM card.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GSM...&hash=item25719d5099
The device comes with a charger and has a 96 hour standby time. When I take my Fiero on overnight trips to car shows it will give peace of mind. It always tells you where the car is located

Review of this device can be found here:
http://gps-tracker-review.t...-tracker-review.html

PFF
System Bot
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2012 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Manual trans is enough of a deterrent for me. I'm not looking up the facts on it, but automatics get stolen a lot more often. Most thieves don't really know how to work a clutch.

And if not just that, the 5-speed in my '88GT is difficult to drive anyways . If I ever take it to a shop they can barely drive it and have me put it on the lift. All the standard Fieros I've had have been like that, I've been the only person who's been able to drive them.

------------------

Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2012 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Tinton

4381 posts
Member since Feb 2005

Originally posted by jwrape:

Haven't heard or seen him since.

You sure you haven't had something to do with that?
Tinton

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post

Tinton

4381 posts
Member since Feb 2005
Just a question, how likely is it that they'll get into your garage to steal a car?

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:

Just a question, how likely is it that they'll get into your garage to steal a car?

Not that likely but unless you live in a bubble I assume you drive your cars and park around town, in lots, at malls, at various locations in your area, a repair facility overnight or on vacation trips.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-06-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15146 posts
Member since May 2000

Originally posted by dratts:

I've got mine on order from China. I ordered the newer tk102b model with the hard wired car charger.

Make sure that you specify that the USA 120V wall charger is included. It appears that some people who ordered these units got the EU standard 220V wall charger. I sent a messsage just to be sure that when I order the right wall charger will be sent. Other than this issue this looks like a very nice theft recovery unit to own.
At home my cars are garaged and protected by an owner with a shotgun. On overnight trips you can end up at a hotel with a parking lot that is far from your 5th floor room. Alarms or kill switches may stop the degenerate lower class thief but these won't stop the seasoned professional. If he wants your car he's got it. Only practical solution is the stelth GPS tracking device.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-06-2012).]

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

Well......Let me tell yall a story. We had a 17 yr old feed our dogs while we were out of town for a week. We knew him since he was a baby. Anyways, he decided to drink our liquor, trash our house and do his girlfriend in every room of the house. On top of that he tried to drive all four of our cars. He drove 2 of them because they were simply a key turn away. BUT the Fiero didn't start cause he didn't flip the switch for the fuel pump on.

Unfortunately, he drove my Navigator and my G35 Coupe.

I WAS PISSED!!!!! Haven't heard or seen him since.

Have you checked the local county jail?

I bet he is spending some time there . . . or will be soon.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
Monterey, California

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-06-2012 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Only practical solution is the stelth GPS tracking device.

Which is insanely easy to defeat. How do you plan to track your car if it has no GPS or cellular signal to send the information back to you?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post

After reading this post:

That depends on how creative your 'kill' switch is. It can cut fuel pump off, ignition from distributor off, or lots of other ways. I have one friend who wired his starter hot thru his radio. If the radio isnt turned on, it wont start. He just turns off the radio when he parks and if he wants to drive without listening, just turns it down. I agree with you on a total battery disconnect, although ive had one on a few cars that had a hot link on them that allowed enough juice to go thru to keep ECU and radio memory on, but blew a breaker or fuse if the starter was engaged. Yes towing is getting to be more common, but like I said where and how you park can help along with locking your front wheels all the way either direction. At least around here, high visibility cars arent stolen much because they stand out when police are looking for them. Here its Honda Civics and Dodge minivans that are most stolen.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 07-06-2012).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Which is insanely easy to defeat. How do you plan to track your car if it has no GPS or cellular signal to send the information back to you?

I find people that always reference the most far out extreme examples laughable. GPS signals are received anywhere on the face of the earth as they come from satellites in space. The tracker receives signals via GPS and can be retrieved from a number of methods like google earth. Even if the car was moved to an area with no cell coverage it would surely surface in an area where there is cell coverage. I am expecting that the follow up question is: what IF the car was stolen by a KGB agent or the Central Intelligence Agency!!

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

How would it be defeated? I plan on hiding it under part of the plastic body. Wouldn't they have to find it to defeat it?
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2012 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I ordered the package with the 12v hardwired car charger along with the wall charger. The wall charger looks like a normal two pronged 110v in the pictures. I will run the 12v power source in a stealthy way so that a thief can't easily follow the wire to my hidden install.

Make sure that you specify that the USA 120V wall charger is included. It appears that some people who ordered these units got the EU standard 220V wall charger. I sent a messsage just to be sure that when I order the right wall charger will be sent. Other than this issue this looks like a very nice theft recovery unit to own.
At home my cars are garaged and protected by an owner with a shotgun. On overnight trips you can end up at a hotel with a parking lot that is far from your 5th floor room. Alarms or kill switches may stop the degenerate lower class thief but these won't stop the seasoned professional. If he wants your car he's got it. Only practical solution is the stelth GPS tracking device.

crashyoung

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crashyoungSend a Private Message to crashyoungDirect Link to This Post
Most GPS and other systems rely on an antenna, especially to transmit.
Ever notice those shark fins on the roof of newer cars? Aluminum tape over the shark fin blocks the signal and no more theft deterrent.
Something OnStar and others fail to mention...
If the antenna is disguised, but you have an OnStar mirror, they rip out the mirror and toss it out the window.

If you get joy riders, which most auto thefts are, then you might stand a chance with all the tricks. But an experienced thief will get what he wants.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
This system has it's antenna internal like a cell phone. No external antenna. You could take it out of the car and attach it to your dogs collar if you need to track your dog. I'm sure that I could hide it as previously posted. There would be a 12v line running to it, but if I hide that it should be secure. In MY mind. If they pick up my car in a shielded truck and take it into a shielded chop shop I'll be screwed.

Originally posted by crashyoung:

Most GPS and other systems rely on an antenna, especially to transmit.
Ever notice those shark fins on the roof of newer cars? Aluminum tape over the shark fin blocks the signal and no more theft deterrent.
Something OnStar and others fail to mention...
If the antenna is disguised, but you have an OnStar mirror, they rip out the mirror and toss it out the window.

If you get joy riders, which most auto thefts are, then you might stand a chance with all the tricks. But an experienced thief will get what he wants.

[This message has been edited by dratts (edited 07-07-2012).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2012 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

I find people that always reference the most far out extreme examples laughable. GPS signals are received anywhere on the face of the earth as they come from satellites in space. The tracker receives signals via GPS and can be retrieved from a number of methods like google earth. Even if the car was moved to an area with no cell coverage it would surely surface in an area where there is cell coverage. I am expecting that the follow up question is: what IF the car was stolen by a KGB agent or the Central Intelligence Agency!!

I wouldent say they can track you anywhere... when I was driving for Werner we had a quallcom that tracked you via GPS and there were area's I went through where you dident see a signal on it for 15min+

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I wouldent say they can track you anywhere... when I was driving for Werner we had a quallcom that tracked you via GPS and there were area's I went through where you dident see a signal on it for 15min+

In very rural areas this might be a concern but along the interstates my GPS or cell hardly ever hits a dead zone.
Nothing is absolutely100% fool proof but we can cut down the odds of keeping your car. If you live in a highly urbanized state as I do, or near the major cities, cell and GPS signals are available just about everywhere. On the rare occasion that you hit a dead zone it typically only lasts 30 seconds or so. Also a stolen car will end up being moved and sooner or later it will be picked up, unless it ends up at a "chop shop" but quite frankly I can't see any thief chopping up a Fiero as the parts are not in high demand, availabe and still reasonable.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-08-2012).]

n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzDirect Link to This Post

Get a Trunk Monkey!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs

Other than that I would look into the cell phone tracker thing myself.
Shad0wguy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shad0wguySend a Private Message to Shad0wguyDirect Link to This Post
Best theft deterrent is a manual transmission.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shad0wguy:

Best theft deterrent is a manual transmission.

Unless the thief doesn't know how to drive a stick shift and destroys your transmission.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
OMG I can't believe it the first time I saw it, and am in complete disbelief seeing it several times, people thinking car thieves can't drive a stick shift. So they can jimmey a door, punch a lock, punch your ignition or hot wire your car but you don't think they can use a clutch pedal? The only reason more automatics are stolen than standard cars, is there are a lot more automatics on the road than standards.

We had a rash a few years ago, and the local Fiero club was loosing about 1 Fiero a month, every 4-6 weeks I would be posting up the details about another Fiero stolen it was really sad. Guess what, all of them were standard trans cars.

In my younger days, 20 years ago, I hung with the wrong side of the crowd so to speak. I knew many car thief's and how they operated. If its a casual theft, I.E. they just need to steal it to get from point A - B, and they see a club, they will move on to an easier car. If it is a special car that they need the motor from to fix a 2nd car that is legal, 1st thing they do is pop the door then pop the hood to check if the battery and coil wire are there. They won't wast time trying to jury the ignition if they don't think the car will start. If the hood looks good, then they will punch the ignition to try and start it. Usually by just crowbar the column then reaching in with a flat blade screw driver to slide the ignition lever forward or backward. FYI, its quicker to do that than hot wiring the car under the dash via the starter switch, then trying to bust the steering lock.

The best thing to stop thief's first off is visible stuff. Club, Alarm LED's with really loud sirens, So Loud in fact that even if they do manage to shut the alarm off, it will have already drawn lots of attention. Piazzo (sp) Sirens in the cabin of the car, something so loud that it will cause pain to the ears trying to find and disable them.

Just as frustrating as having your car stolen is the attempted theft. Where they break into the car, punch and destroy the steering column, maybe steal your stereo, and anything else valuable in your car. You want them to walk by, look at your car, and realize that its just not worth the hassle of trying to steal it.

Now what do I do.

Like a previous poster in this thread, I have a battery disconnect that has a removable key. Its placed in the front compartment where the battery is, however the cables are very hard to get to as the switch pokes up through the front compartment with the cables connected under the car. I did use a 10amp fuse to bridge the connectors to keep radio and ECM functions but kept forgetting I had it off and would try to fire up the car, blow the fuse and have to replace it. So I remove the fuse and installed a circuit breaker that would auto reset after a few mins.

I have a remote keyless pager alarm, with 4 sirens relayed to 12v. I have a 5th siren that has its own on-board power supply that I plan to install soon.

I don't use a club for normal stuff, but if I have to leave it in a mall or other high risk location I will put it on. I have a cluster of 4 Laser Blue LED's that light up the entire cabin of the car and any building that I am parked facing. Decals on the glass as well.

There are lots of great starter disablers out there and some great idea's posted here. Be Safe and LOL, Drive it like you stole it. Ya never know it may be the last time you drive it.

P.S. I have only had my Fiero broken into twice, first time was before I had an alarm, 2nd time I had the alarm, it went off when they popped the door open all they were able to do was grab a stack of CD's and ran.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Someone on my truck forum mentioned installing a "start" button on the dash that sets off a "car alarm" while hiding the actual "start button" elsewhere (like maybe your rear hatch switch). Seems simple enough to me
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
First time I ever heard of that! I like it.
RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
Well most people in my condo know who i am and stay clear of my toys !! both my corvette and my fiero are watched by a camera 24 7 by security, now with that said there are the ocasional break in in my underground, So i started a in house nebour hood watch !! and me and a few others would patroll the under ground on different nights !! Now word on the streets is the Red head Irish guy carries a gun !! there have been no break ins in my underground in 2 years !!!
firejo24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2012 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firejo24Send a Private Message to firejo24Direct Link to This Post
I know a lot of people who think that being a Fiero is enough of a deterrent
urbex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexDirect Link to This Post
The cars I care about don't leave my sight, unless it's locked up in the garage at home. My daily drivers are "go ahead and steal it, I'd rather have the insurance money" vehicles
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RULOOKIN:

Well most people in my condo know who i am and stay clear of my toys !! both my corvette and my fiero are watched by a camera 24 7 by security, now with that said there are the ocasional break in in my underground, So i started a in house nebour hood watch !! and me and a few others would patroll the under ground on different nights !! Now word on the streets is the Red head Irish guy carries a gun !! there have been no break ins in my underground in 2 years !!!

Beware of Skittles and iced tea.

[This message has been edited by carnut122 (edited 07-09-2012).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2012 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Own a stick shift as few people today can drive a stick. I saw a story on the news they tried to car jack a car but has to ask the driver to stay with the car as they could not drive the 5 speed.

I read a story about a pizza delivery guy that had this happen. He got car jacked & couldn't figure out how to drive it. The guy dialed 911 with this cell phone in his pocket. The would-be thief insisted they switch seats, & instructed the delivery guy where to go. So he just repeated really loud "LEFT ON 4th STREET?!". After about five blocks they caught him.

My car was once towed by the city & I thought it was stolen.

oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2012 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerDirect Link to This Post
I live in Red Neck country, deep South Georgia. Tie your pit bull dog to the car with food and water available Put a couple of rattle snakes inside the car they only ned to feed about once a month and do not drink water. Put in the pasture with the mean bull and hope he does not fall in love with it. Cover it with an OLD tarp, thief will think it a stack of hay bales. Just drive it on your vacation you can then keep an eye on it.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-17-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
low jack cost to much and doesn't work everywhere..
got a cell phone.. most plans an extra line is 9 bucks.. when you upgrade use the old phone for this.. you set the setings so the phone can be gps tracked.. with ringer off.. now hide it.. and hard wire the charger.. tada.. 50 + roaming gps tracking system.. bonus , if you forget your phone or kill it or the battery you always have a spare with you..
I've had great luck with notes on stear wheel.. trible A tow driver.. note no brakes.. or no forward gears.. that stops the joy riders..
deloreanant

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deloreanantSend a Private Message to deloreanantDirect Link to This Post
The comment about GPS being easily beat is because GPS doesn't even work in parking garages. If a thief pulls your car into a garage, the GPS won't work. It must have a clear "view" of the sky. Lo-Jack works based off of FM signal I believe. This means in can be tracked within buildings, but only in select cities where Lo-Jack has towers set up. There is no perfect system. But combining a couple of these could really up your odds of keeping your car or at least getting it back.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock