Started on: 01-10-2009 09:23 PM
Replies: 153
Last post by: nosrac on 02-03-2013 09:42 PM
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Yeah Boy, it's almost time !

That black VC looks kinda good. What do ya think?

Black or Aluminum VC?
IP: Logged
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2009 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

Yeah Boy, it's almost time !

That black VC looks kinda good. What do ya think?

Black or Aluminum VC?

I was going to suggest that you have them powder coated black for a few reasons. For one they look better that way and to keep them clean when they are no coated is a pain. After a while they tarnish and requires alot to get them clean. You can see what I am talking about with the one on my car. I am going to have it PC black here in the near future.

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Is powder coating as easy as spraying some paint on and baking in the oven to set?
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2009 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Powder coating is when the paint is in powder form and positively charged. The piece is grounded. When they spray it, the paint sucks itself to the part. Then it is put in the oven and baked on. In most cases powdercoat will ding with the metal, paint will chip. I powdercoat anything I can on my car, but I do it for free. I would recommend it, holds up MUCH better than paint.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for another update with some pictures. The car was bought out a few weeks ago and I have been slowly getting it ready for the swap. Pulled the motor out last week, cleaned up the engine bay a few days later and put in the insulation tonight. Motor will be going in in the next week once I finalize how I want to do the fourth mount since this swap doesn't use a low mount. I was going to use a lateral link from the stock Alt mount to the cradle but think I have changed my mind to go with the mount behind the A/C compressor. I worked on a mount tonight for it and have to grab a poly 350 trans mount tomorrow to see how it all works out. Hoping to have the swap done and running in about another 1-2 weeks and completly shortly after. Here are some pictures:

Donor--86 GT:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Another Shot of the car:

2.8 shot:

Azz end up:

Empty:

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 05-17-2009).]

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
LOL ...... "nose down azz up"

Hey, where is the "standing in the engine bay" shot, Old 2.8 boat anchor out of the car shot, Under the car looking up shot?, ..... J\K ...

Good riddance to the old 2.8 i hope you can find it a new home. It is in great condition but just not enough umph for me.

I also hope the only rust on the car is the battery tray area. Also, since you are putting the coil packs in place of the old battery. How do you keep then from getting wet?

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 05-17-2009).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

. How do you keep then from getting wet?

You dont.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

You dont.

Sooo.. I assume that will not cause a problem in the future because I haven't seen anyone complain about that location. Where do you locate your coil packs?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2009 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Sooo.. I assume that will not cause a problem in the future because I haven't seen anyone complain about that location. Where do you locate your coil packs?

Just to the left of the right decklid hinge, worked well on a number of swaps. The battery area would be the same idea, but you would need fancy plug wires, mounting them right under the hinge lets you use regular plug wires.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

You dont.

What dummy said!!!!!!

JK--No issues with the coil packs being an issue when mounted to the battery tray. They are weather packed and will not be affected by the rain. I have mine mounted there along with many other swaps running around.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Stephen,

Will you still use the old Fiero ECM, or the Fiero AC parts? but what I really wan't to know is:

Will my Fiero be FASTER than yours?
PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Can't wait to see the "time slip" from Ennis! So about how much longer? Any idea?

------------------
Why fight to be accepted by people you don't actually want to be like?

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2009 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Stephen,

Will you still use the old Fiero ECM, or the Fiero AC parts? but what I really wan't to know is:

Will my Fiero be FASTER than yours?

No--The GP PCM is used after being re-programmed. The A/C uses everything but the compressor from the Fiero.

It might be but only time will tell and a trip or two to the track.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Little update with some pictures. It is going slow but going and will soon be finished.

Motor In:

Another Shot:

Still alot of little things to hook up, change out fuel pump, build axle, ect but it is getting there.

Edit--Guess I could have wiped the dust off before taking pictures!!!!

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 05-29-2009).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I love motor in day, its like the marking of the halfway point to completion. Now you get to do all the hard, tedious, annoying parts.
Custom84cp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom84cpSend a Private Message to Custom84cpDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, when it go's to Ennis I will bring my car and im sure we can get Stephen to go.
Your shop looks nice an organized, I need to clean mine aswell (3 car garage, not really a shop) to make romm for your old,and my new Indy!!
Yup, he sold it to me and she will get a frame up ( much more details to come) restoration!!
thanks.. steve
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2009 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
Ennis... need to try the new track in Kaufman (on Hwy 175).

nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Is that a 3.2 or 3.0 pulley I see? I hope it is smooth sailing from here including a no issuue first start up. My fingers are crossed, I don't want to jinx anything. I don't think I can handle any bad news right now.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

I love motor in day, its like the marking of the halfway point to completion. Now you get to do all the hard, tedious, annoying parts.

Awww man.....I had hoped that part was done.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

nosrac

3520 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

Ennis... need to try the new track in Kaufman (on Hwy 175).

I will try both....Challenge....

If my car is a fast as good as the engine looks....I'm gona spank a whole lota azz...

Still need to upgrade the brakes, suspension, get some slicks before I can lay down some serious times...And also need to learn how to drive the 1/4 mile. I think it is a little more involved than just laying the hammer down at the green light.
Custom84cp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2009 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom84cpSend a Private Message to Custom84cpDirect Link to This Post

If my car is a fast as good as the engine looks....I'm gona spank a whole lota azz...

Still need to upgrade the brakes, suspension, get some slicks before I can lay down some serious times...And also need to learn how to drive the 1/4 mile. I think it is a little more involved than just laying the hammer down at the green light.

Ahhh, you have much to lean grashopper!!
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Learn how to drive, or just get tires like the rest of us.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Is that a 3.2 or 3.0 pulley I see? I hope it is smooth sailing from here including a no issuue first start up. My fingers are crossed, I don't want to jinx anything. I don't think I can handle any bad news right now.

3.2 pulley on the snout---Will be working on getting all the little things hooked up and going. Looking forward to gettting the car finished and back your way. Once you drive the car you will make it your DD.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2009 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

3.2 pulley on the snout---Will be working on getting all the little things hooked up and going. Looking forward to gettting the car finished and back your way. Once you drive the car you will make it your DD.

If it is too fast I might just keep it in the garage chained up. It is not safe to take untamed beast out on the street.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Little more of an update with some pictures. Still have alot of little things to do but getting closer.

Axle built/Suspension put back on the car:

Pulled tank--Old pump:

Walbro Pump:

Tomorrow the IC lines are getting ran under the car along with the + cable for the front battery mount box. Then on to hooking up all the coolant lines, bleeding the brakes, ect.

DCRFiero1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Sweet getting closer! Makes me wish I was closer to getting my second one done.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2009 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for another update. The build is moving at a crawl but still moving between work and 105* temps. Getting very close to the first start up for the setup. This morning I tackled getting the brakes bled, wheels put back on and mounting the front Norms battery box. Just a few pictures of mounting the battery box.

Ready to cut:

Test Fitted:

Finished:

Still have to trim for the spare tire to fit back in with ease but that will be done once the car is complete and ready to leave. Will be working on getting the exhaust made this evening once it cools back down some. Hope to have the exhaust completed, wiring/PCM powered up, CAI put together and maybe even a start up done by the end of the weekend. Still have to mount the Cobra heat exchanger/pump and then fill the system.

[This message has been edited by MstangsBware (edited 07-04-2009).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Time for an over do update--Have been working on wrapping up the install over the weekend. Should be able to do the first start up on Wednesday and start working out any bugs that come up. Here are a few pictures that are new.

Parts for Exhaust:

Exhaust Built--Would recommend not to use PaceSetter Headers:

Back View of Exhaust:

Engine shot:

Only thing left to do is add reservoir for the IC, add fluids and turn the key. Hope to not run into any major issues with the setup.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
thats sick! now how do you tune your pcm?
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Another piece of art! Hope everything goes ok on start up.

Zach
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Great job on the exhaust. I can't wait to get behind the wheel and put my foot into it.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DCRFiero1:

Another piece of art! Hope everything goes ok on start up.

Zach

So you are the one that JINXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!--Went for the first start up today and it was a BIG OL NO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not getting any spark to the plugs. Swapped out the ICM/Coils but that didn't help so I started troubleshooting some more. Going to look into the issue some more on my next day off and see what I can find. Think maybe the issue is in the NEG cable which is mounted up front for the front mount battery box. Norm's kit re-uses the stock NEG cable and doesn't come with a long cable to run from the engine to the battery. Hope that does it and the fix is simple. Will update when I find out something new.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I used norm's instructions on my front-mount box and have spark on my 3800. You're sure the black wire going to the ICM has a good ground? Mine was broken and would've caused me all sorts of problems if I wasn't paying attention.

------------------

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

I used norm's instructions on my front-mount box and have spark on my 3800. You're sure the black wire going to the ICM has a good ground? Mine was broken and would've caused me all sorts of problems if I wasn't paying attention.

Yeah--This is one of the first things I checked as that single little wire gave me hell for about 2 months a few summers ago. I will be running a ground from the engine to the battery on my next day off and will see if that is an issue.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2009 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post

Engine shot:

Only thing left to do is add reservoir for the IC, add fluids and turn the key. Hope to not run into any major issues with the setup.

Friggin Sweet.......
What did you come up with for the top dogbone mount?

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Moe then a few times I have found bent pins on the cam and or cranks sensors that can cuase a no start.
For a dog bone with that alt up top I use a piece of plate steel that connects the two bolts on the alt with studs in them and weld a GP dog bone to the plate with the other end bolted in place on the Fiero end.
I like that dog bone because there is only bushings on the one side making it stiffer with out having to go poly. Dan
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2009 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post

Yeah--This is one of the first things I checked as that single little wire gave me hell for about 2 months a few summers ago. I will be running a ground from the engine to the battery on my next day off and will see if that is an issue.

The chassis itself is one big ground. When I relocated my battery I didn't run from bat. to engine w/ground, I just grounded it to the chassis, chassis to cradle, cradle to engine. No grounding problems at all. As far as cam sensor causing a no start I would have to say no! I know this guy who had a his accidentally unplugged for a while and it ran beautiful with the exception of no kr detection. Good looking job on the install.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Moe then a few times I have found bent pins on the cam and or cranks sensors that can cuase a no start.
For a dog bone with that alt up top I use a piece of plate steel that connects the two bolts on the alt with studs in them and weld a GP dog bone to the plate with the other end bolted in place on the Fiero end.
I like that dog bone because there is only bushings on the one side making it stiffer with out having to go poly. Dan

Will have part of the day off tomorrow to troubleshoot the issue more. I will check on both the connectors mentioned being they where pulled off and the harness was replaced during the cam swap. I planned on doing about what you mentioned for an upper dog bone mount with using the GP dog bone.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2009 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Dementia:

The chassis itself is one big ground. When I relocated my battery I didn't run from bat. to engine w/ground, I just grounded it to the chassis, chassis to cradle, cradle to engine. No grounding problems at all. As far as cam sensor causing a no start I would have to say no! I know this guy who had a his accidentally unplugged for a while and it ran beautiful with the exception of no kr detection. Good looking job on the install.

The ground may not be my issue with the no spark but I believe it is an issue with the slow cranking which might be causing the no spark/start issue. With a hot battery from my truck the motor still turns over slow like it is not getting on the cranking amps. I only had about an hour to look for the issue before I had to head to work and tomorrow will be my first day to look at it more. I will update with what I find.
DCRFiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2009 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DCRFiero1Send a Private Message to DCRFiero1Direct Link to This Post

So you are the one that JINXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!--

Opps, sorry about that. Iam going to quit wishing people luck. Been on a bad luck streak lately.
No worries, it will be on the road in no time.

Zach

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock