Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Help about a fiero I just sold asap (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Help about a fiero I just sold asap by ANTEC900
Started on: 06-17-2011 04:45 PM
Replies: 131
Last post by: Marine1981 on 07-16-2011 07:51 PM
ANTEC900

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post
Okay just sold my 86 fiero gt fastback to a guy that blew the engine on the way home
he is offering me $700 and we agreed on $1432 for it
So should I take $700 for it or get it back and hold on to it to swap the engine when I have cash or what?
the car was rely good condition other than the paint and front bumper

I have $432 and the title he has the car what should I do need help asap
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Direct Link to This Post
So he blew the engine up After taking possession of the car? If the engine blowing up was in no way your fault then I say he owes you the agreed upon amount. If he doesn't want the car anymore I think you should keep it and have him pay you for something blowing up your engine. But that's just me.

**Edit to remove word**

[This message has been edited by Marine1981 (edited 06-17-2011).]

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproDirect Link to This Post
You must have forgotten the bill of sale that reads "Sold As Is" at the top.

Unless this car is a rare treasure, I'd let him have it for $700 as a parts car. (just my opinion since you asked)
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
In almost any state he has recourse if it happened within 72 hours. If you claimed the car was running, and it blew on the way home, he can claim fraud against you. I would get it back unless you really need the dough. In that case let him have it and cut your repair expense losses.

[This message has been edited by mptighe (edited 06-17-2011).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Wondering if you knew the motor was "weak" and if the new owner knew it was "weak"? What were the conditions of sale? As is where is? Any expressed warranty? Pretty vague right now.
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Wondering if you knew the motor was "weak" and if the new owner knew it was "weak"? What were the conditions of sale? As is where is? Any expressed warranty? Pretty vague right now.

no one asked about a warranty
BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
Is he making payments to you?
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackThunderGT:

Is he making payments to you?

No he did not have all the cash I took 432 and kept the title till he got me the cash
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
I think the guy was hotrodding it and now wants a discount for his mistake. The fact you let him drive off without paying the full amount means you're out of luck. Best bet now would be to take the car back, give him his money, and call it an expensive lesson learned.
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

I think the guy was hotrodding it and now wants a discount for his mistake. The fact you let him drive off without paying the full amount means you're out of luck. Best bet now would be to take the car back, give him his money, and call it an expensive lesson learned.

im just letting him have it for $700 because he has $200 tied up in towing it to his place now I dont have money for anothet car
topher_time

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
You should have gone to look at it. Sold my S10 with a fresh rebuild on the 2.8 and tranny, the new owner claimed the engine "blowed up" on the way home. Wanted to take me to court and yada yada yada, wanted his money back plus extra and this and that. I went to inspect the truck, and he refused like crazy till I got a local PD friend involved. Got there and yup, wouldn't start, but it spun over just fine, hmmm. Looked around, fluids all full and good, poked here and there. No spark. Found the ignition rotor hidden in the glove box. Got it running in 12 minutes. Told him a few curse words, he was lucky I didn't go further with my actions and left. And I STILL made my flight
PFF
System Bot
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

You should have gone to look at it. Sold my S10 with a fresh rebuild on the 2.8 and tranny, the new owner claimed the engine "blowed up" on the way home. Wanted to take me to court and yada yada yada, wanted his money back plus extra and this and that. I went to inspect the truck, and he refused like crazy till I got a local PD friend involved. Got there and yup, wouldn't start, but it spun over just fine, hmmm. Looked around, fluids all full and good, poked here and there. No spark. Found the ignition rotor hidden in the glove box. Got it running in 12 minutes. Told him a few curse words, he was lucky I didn't go further with my actions and left. And I STILL made my flight

I would do that but he lives 74 miles away
mptighe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ANTEC900:

I would do that but he lives 74 miles away

I would tell him you'll give him the title when he deilvers the rest of the cash and the receipt from the tow.
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mptighe:

I would tell him you'll give him the title when he deilvers the rest of the cash and the receipt from the tow.

What do you mean?
batousai666

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
so if i may play the Devils Advocate.....
is it not proper to be driving a car without registration??? and does one need a Title to indeed register the car in Question??
i hope this guy, you knew, or this could get sticky, no?

so ok it may be legall "day of Sale" to drive the car but it helps if the title in hand so the story lines up for the Cops.....
at least for the 3 cars i have bought

[This message has been edited by batousai666 (edited 06-17-2011).]

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009
ohhh 74 miles away!! i would take the money and run!!! mail him the title and run fast. he is not going to bring you back the car i would think he would want you to come and get it with that tow money....maybe half if he is cool about it.
my opinion only....good luck!

Daniel

batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post

batousai666

4222 posts
Member since Jun 2009

you do have to check this out, tho.....it may be true. if you told him the "i do not have a ride" already, even more so.
in these times its better to think bad for good anyday if it turns true its easier to forgive yourself, than if he is the RATT!! and needs crushing

only my opinion again.
it sounds like a lie he told to, you......or *not able to comment* need more info.

i wanna see how this pans out

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
First mistake was letting him take the car without paying in full.

I think he could be rorting you. I would ask for the tow receipt to prove he got it towed, and I would verify it with the tow company too.

Then go see the car yourself to see if there is really anything wrong with it. .

He owes you the full amount. You have no responsibility for his actions after he takes the car away. He could have revved it to 7K rpm and tried to do a burnout for all you know.

If he wont pay the full amount and you still have the title get the car towed back to your place and get a quote on repairs. Keep the money already paid and see the rest in court as he has basically destroyed YOUR car.
timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

No he did not have all the cash I took 432 and kept the title till he got me the cash

Lesson #1 - they dont get the car unless they give you ALL the cash.. period. He needs it but does not have the cash? too bad.

[This message has been edited by timgray (edited 06-17-2011).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTDirect Link to This Post
This is one of the oldest car scams in the world!

1. give car owner less money and say I will get the rest to you
2. call car owner and say car has blown up
3. negotiate a new lower price
4. drive car with big grin on face knowing they have scammed another car seller

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Was it a local fiero guy that bought the car? I kinda doubt it considering I didn't get a phone call and I know almost ALL of the indy fiero guys.
PFF
System Bot
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post
The guy sells new cars at a chevy dealer ship
And used a dealer plate to take it home
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

ANTEC900

155 posts
Member since Oct 2010

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Was it a local fiero guy that bought the car? I kinda doubt it considering I didn't get a phone call and I know almost ALL of the indy fiero guys.

He is from lafayette, IN
Genopsyde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GenopsydeClick Here to visit Genopsyde's HomePageSend a Private Message to GenopsydeDirect Link to This Post
you need to get that car back to inspect. how much you wanna bet the icm died and he is claiming blown engine. that is, if it even quit running at all. 74 miles is nothing.
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
A little off topic here, but you spent months searching for a good deal on a fastback car, and now you've sold it? Why?
topher_time

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
74 miles, AND he's a car salesman? I'd find a way out there, fast. And $200 for a tow? How far was it? Last time I had something towed, cost me $205.00 to get my old Range Rover towed from Little Rock, AR to Memphis, TN.
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

74 miles, AND he's a car salesman? I'd find a way out there, fast. And $200 for a tow? How far was it? Last time I had something towed, cost me $205.00 to get my old Range Rover towed from Little Rock, AR to Memphis, TN.

It was like $135-150 cant remember for sure and it was like 3am like 20 miles
I only paid 800 for the car so I guess I will just take the $100 loss and let him keep it
KraigG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KraigGSend a Private Message to KraigGDirect Link to This Post
Here's a lesson for you: Never, ever, ever, let a car leave your house without payment in full. You go with on all test drives, and you only take cash when you sell. I've sold over 100 of my own cars, and something like this has never happened.
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
What the hell were you thinking letting a car out of your possession with no registration, insurance, and no money?

Now go get the car back, 74 miles isn't anything.

I don't know how much having a title is worth anyways. If you know someone you can get a new one made legally, he works at a car dealer. He can also just take another VIN and put it on there with a good title.

[This message has been edited by 02greens10 (edited 06-18-2011).]

ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

What the hell were you thinking letting a car out of your possession with no registration, insurance, and no money?

Now go get the car back, 74 miles isn't anything.

I don't know how much having a title is worth anyways. If you know someone you can get a new one made legally, he works at a car dealer. He can also just take another VIN and put it on there with a good title.

What if he wont give it back and I have no way to get it back if the engine is rely blown
And 74 miles is along way if you only have a learners permit and cant get anyone to take you
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

What if he wont give it back and I have no way to get it back if the engine is rely blown
And 74 miles is along way if you only have a learners permit and cant get anyone to take you

omg son...are you a minor? How were you able to sell this car? Is there any Fiero guys in the area that can help Antec900 out?
PFF
System Bot
ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

omg son...are you a minor? How were you able to sell this car? Is there any Fiero guys in the area that can help Antec900 out?

I am 18 and my mom was the dumb one thst came up with the idea of keeping the title
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

Yes, please tell. Take it as a lesson. You will probably have to take the $700 and then be relieved you only lost $100 if you can. I think it's weird the guy still wants it for half price other than to scam you, but I can spend all day making up situations in my head.

ANTEC900

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ANTEC900Send a Private Message to ANTEC900Direct Link to This Post
If anyone sees this car driveing around please post or pm me

[This message has been edited by ANTEC900 (edited 06-18-2011).]

Sigler85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Sigler85GTSend a Private Message to Sigler85GTDirect Link to This Post
Sorry dude I bet he saw a kid was selling and knew he could work you over. Life lessons, never trust anyone.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post

Okay just sold my 86 fiero gt fastback to a guy that blew the engine on the way home
he is offering me $700 and we agreed on $1432 for it
So should I take $700 for it or get it back and hold on to it to swap the engine when I have cash or what?
the car was rely good condition other than the paint and front bumper

I have $432 and the title he has the car what should I do need help asap

The guy sells new cars at a chevy dealer ship
And used a dealer plate to take it home

Get the car back.
Did you agree a price prior to him getting there or did he see the car first and he only had $432 on him? Next time take the cash as a down payment until he goes and gets the cash, in his own vehicle and tell him it's a 48 hour hold. If he doesn't come back in that time, he forfeits the cash. And when you do sell it, get it in writing. Have proof you sold the car in case something happens and you're blamed.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Saying over and ooooover again that "this or that should not have been done" is not really helping here. What's done is done. Now to figure out where to go from here.

Initially, it does sound a little odd, that he owns a car dealership, and drives 70 miles to get a car. There could be intentions of getting it cheaper with a made up story, and selling it on his lot for a profit.

I agree with a statement above, have him email you a scan, fax you, or snap a photo of the towing bill and send it to you.

If he can not do this, it is starting to sound fishy. If he does send you a tow bill, call the company, and see if it was towed by them, or if he just made out a nice receipt himself.
if this is the case, then you can tell him you are going to call the police, as he has a car that is titled to you, and could be reported stolen. Yes, a title can be gotten, but if you dispute it right away, he has no grounds. I certainly can not just go get a title to my neighbors car, and then claim ownership. You have the title, you are the owner. Period.

If it turns out the car was towed, then obviously there IS a mechanical problem of some sort, and it's starting to looks like the guy is legit. From there, ask why he thinks it is a blown engine. Knocking, banging, ceased motor ect. If it turns out it will crank, and no sever engine noises were heard by him, as mentioned above, a module or something simple could be the culprit.

If it does turn out to be a bad mechanical problem, it is something you will have to work out and agree on to resolve. He may have revved it to 7,000 and blown it, or he was doing 70MPH home, and it was just the engine's time. There is no real way to determine that easily. I had a Cavalier Z-24, and was in a hurry one night, driving around 80, and next thing I knew, bangedy bang bang bang, the engine blew. So it can and does happen.

Above all, be understanding, and take him at his word till and if you find out different. Communication is the key here. You do not know him, and he does not know you. So to just assume things about someone in this scenario, is not the way to go. Treat him nice, and he hopefully will do the same. If you are able to find out otherwise, then you can get a little more threatening with involving the police ect.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what happens.
BOBBY D

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BOBBY DSend a Private Message to BOBBY DDirect Link to This Post
Tell him no deal. Tell him he still owes you $1,000. If refuses tell him to return the car to you. Do not pay anything. If he refuses to return the car, call it in stolen. It is his responsibility to return the car to you the owner if he drove it away from your location.

Take him to court will be easy. He is a car dealer he will be held to a higher standard due to his profession in this case.

But immediately
1 Get the police involved. Make a police report.
2 tell him in no uncertain terms no deal.
3 Tell him you want your $1,000 by a specified date.
4 If he fails to pay or return the car, report it stolen. Do NOT grant extentions.

Good luck, it small claims court so no need for a lawyer. There is no 72 hour grace period any buyer has. Once the transaction takes place it is final, dealerships may have that sort of POLICY to avoid issues but it is not a law (at least in OHIO)
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
Man, I am sorry you got taken advantage of. You NEVER, EVER sell a car without full payment in cash only. I had a guy steal my Cutless that way. I was only asking $700, he gave me $400 and said he would pay me the next week. i never saw him again and in GA anything older than 85' you don't have to have a title only registration. He prolly forged that. I was out of luck. It sucks I know. Sorry

Now I only take Cash and I don't let it leave until I have all of it.

------------------
86 Fiero 2M4 Silver, and 86 GT

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2011 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post

You report it stolen to the police and tell them where it is. it is NOT his property until he has the title and a bill of sale.

You did not get suckered into giving him a receipt did you?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock