Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Annual reminder - Clean out your under hood heater box!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Annual reminder - Clean out your under hood heater box! by Fieroseverywhere
Started on: 01-06-2010 11:21 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: FieroMaster88 on 11-02-2011 07:36 PM
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Haven't seen this topic for a while and figured it was time for a reminder. If you haven't done it recently.... DO IT NOW!!

The results of ignoring this can be devistating...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-059252.html

Just want to help keep everyone and their fieros safe in 2010.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 01-06-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
This is why...

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the heads up. first i've heard of this problem. -- this is great forum
Nosferatu187

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
Found this a few weeks ago. His Fiero sat parked 3 days before catching fire. I wondered if smoldering leaves in the ducts might have caused it. Majority of the damage is in front of the cowl. Sort of a mystery:

http://forums.corvetteforum...t-was-not-my-c5.html

Mike
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post
An anyone post a pic of where exactly I'm supposed to get it from? Sorry, I'm not too good with this stuff yet
2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

An anyone post a pic of where exactly I'm supposed to get it from? Sorry, I'm not too good with this stuff yet

Check the pics on page 2 of this thread.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/078948-2.html
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nosferatu187:

Found this a few weeks ago. His Fiero sat parked 3 days before catching fire. I wondered if smoldering leaves in the ducts might have caused it. Majority of the damage is in front of the cowl. Sort of a mystery:

http://forums.corvetteforum...t-was-not-my-c5.html

Mike

After three days I would think something else caused that one. Maybe headlight harness wiring? Deffinately a front end fire though. All the more reason to do everything you can to keep it clean and safe. Imagine if this car had been parked in a garage... might have come home to the whole house looking like that.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

This is why...

that thing looks like you ground up a few squirls with it. What is that?

I have to clean the one on the 86 I am working on tonight when I change out the heater core if I find anything good in their I will post it
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Bumping for the newbs...
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip. Does anyone have a pic a little farther out of the area that is supposed to be cleaned? I can't exactly make it out from those pics. Thanks a lot.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Basically pull the blower motor and check it out. Then pull the black plastic cover that the fan speed control attaches to. Follow the 3 wires and pull the cover then go into. Sorry I don't have pics. Hope this helps.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Since people will be checking out their fans, I need a measurement of the depth of the fan (edge to edge of the squirrel cage) and the length across the center (round edge to round edge), also, a blade count, and the length of the blades.

Photos would be extremely helpful as well.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
6 month bump. Once a year is not enough!! Hmm. It wasn't intentional but this is exactly one year since I started this thread. Cool.

Looks like there may be one more to add to the list of destruction.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/084018.html
Poor Juliet. She is one of my favorite little 84's. The steelies just make the car.

Take a few minutes and do some cleaning!! It will save you tons of time and money in the long run (and possibly your house/garage).

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 01-06-2011).]

scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
LOLz, this is so true. when it gets bad you should be able to smell it infact.

heres how mine looked

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Too lazy
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2011 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
how do you guys get yours so dirty...I opened mine up and it was spotless in there.
scott0999

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scott0999Send a Private Message to scott0999Direct Link to This Post
I have no idea thats just how it was when I got the car. I havent even drove it yet lol
fierohoho

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Mice.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierohoho:

Mice.

Yeah. The little bastards shred the carpet padding and drag it into the heating system. They can easily get in through the heater air instake tubes under the front tub. Annoying to say the least.
mptighe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 122
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2011 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mptigheSend a Private Message to mptigheDirect Link to This Post
Ewww... "Mouse Droppings" the new car air freshener available in a Fiero near you.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
It strikes again!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/087395.html

Oddly enough about 2 weeks ago we started up a fiero that hadn't been run in a while and had the same problem. We were able to put it out with no damage though. Immediately removed the fan resistor block and pulled out the still smoldering remains of carpet padding and leaves.

Clean out those heater boxes guys!!
PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2011 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I really need to check that on my Indy. It's been sitting for a few years outside...

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock