My Rust-Oleum paint job by BLK 86 FSTBAK GT
Started on: 11-02-2006 08:36 PM
Replies: 354
Last post by: Arizona85GT on 01-15-2011 11:32 PM
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
here are my pics soo far... please forgive the time at the bottom, I havent set the clock back on the cam yet....

This is what i purchased at wal-mart for under $10

A view of the wing

A picture of the decklid and my closet exploding "lookin for Camera atachment"

a picture of the decklid upright.

------------------

[This message has been edited by BLK 86 FSTBAK GT (edited 11-02-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
a view of the wing upright

A view of Kristina checkin out her behind in the reflection

Yet another view of her liking my paint job

a close up view of paint... and coffee pot lol

Promoting Pepsi

BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post

BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

225 posts
Member since Dec 2005
This is my progress soo far. I Started out with a White car... and hopefully I get a black one out of it!!! my Sig. is what my car looks like.

------------------

moleman_in_a_FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for moleman_in_a_FieroGTSend a Private Message to moleman_in_a_FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Did you paint directly over the old paint? Looks good so far
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
yup i scrubbed the old paint with some dawn dish soap to get rid all dirt, then i started painting away!!!
frantech87

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frantech87Send a Private Message to frantech87Direct Link to This Post
Did you do any wet sanding or polishing of the paint?

Fran
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
This morning i started painting around 10ish. I let dry until around 5pm, then I wetsanded with 800 grit and then i applied the 2nd coat. The 2nd coat seems to dry a little quicker, or maybe its cause i turned up the heat... This is all the farther i've got. I havent done any polishing yet, This is what the paint looks like with 1 coat directly over white, wetsand, then a 2nd coat.

David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Nice rear end, and the paint aint bad either

[This message has been edited by David DeVoe (edited 11-02-2006).]

BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
she says thanks..
well i guess we both say thanks to that one....

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Keep us posted on this one!!! Thanks!!!
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2006 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
If you're gonna do anymore painting, clean the part with Acetone, then scuff the old paint before you paint.
PFF
System Bot
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Are you keeping track of how much you're thinning the paint or are you just eyeballing it? As I understand from the other thread, thinning is what makes the paint flow out smooth.
Ms Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ms FormulaSend a Private Message to Ms FormulaDirect Link to This Post
Geeze, it must be difficult to move throughout the house and eat breakfast at the table with all those parts!
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a i small container and i bigger container.. I'm doing a 50/50 mix. so i fill the little one up once with paint, and once with mineral spirits, and i have my 50/50 mixture
/
/
/
as far as moving around the house goes, I'm the only one home alll day long. Kristina "my fiancee" goes to college from 8am - 4pm, then goes to work from 4pm to 8-9 pm.... so i have the house to my self.... Plus she supports all of my "ideas".... Usually with a pat on the head and a "your going good honey keep it up"
GonsaiPK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GonsaiPKSend a Private Message to GonsaiPKDirect Link to This Post
Looks like someone needs to contribute to the Girls Without Fieros thread...

I think I cringed a little as I read the title, but hey, that paint looks a heck of lot better than I thought it would.
aerosmithr0cker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aerosmithr0ckerSend a Private Message to aerosmithr0ckerDirect Link to This Post
I would definately recommend scuffing up the white paint before applying the black so it adheres better. You may have issues with the paint flaking on the parts were you didn't.
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
Are you painting with a roller as in the $50 Paint job thread?

looks good
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post
yes I am following the $50 (non-rattle can) thread...

what grit paper do you suggest i scuff with ?

[This message has been edited by BLK 86 FSTBAK GT (edited 11-03-2006).]

isthiswhereiputausername?

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for isthiswhereiputausername?Send a Private Message to isthiswhereiputausername?Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by David DeVoe:

Nice rear end, and the paint aint bad either

I agree with ya there..
BLK 86 FSTBAK GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2006 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BLK 86 FSTBAK GTSend a Private Message to BLK 86 FSTBAK GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GonsaiPK:

Looks like someone needs to contribute to the Girls Without Fieros thread...

I think I cringed a little as I read the title, but hey, that paint looks a heck of lot better than I thought it would.

already there... way back on pg. 16. A pic of her and a pic of both of us.
chopfren-z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2006 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chopfren-zSend a Private Message to chopfren-zDirect Link to This Post
Some scotch-brite or 400 grit wetdry sandpaper to scuff the old paint.I would go with the scotch-brite the maroon stuff.

[This message has been edited by chopfren-z (edited 11-05-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
bump
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2006 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
looking good so far, Im defaintly going to go with this setup to get my bumper fix !!!!

I worked with this stuff at work before, That paint sticks to almost anything and dries very hard.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 11-06-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2006 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Omg this stuff works great !! I had a little finder binder and had to repair my bumper, a pic of my rustolium bumper job !!

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 11-07-2006).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2006 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
Please keep up the good work. My car needs a paint job in the worst way but first things first, it has to be fast and furious so I'll get started after the engine transplant. I was thinking white until someone mentioned the potential for yellowing over time, so now I'm going with my favorite color, black. Post more pictures when you can.
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Wonder if you could mix metal flake in to that paint?
jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

2772 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

Omg this stuff works great !! I had a little finder binder and had to repair my bumper, a pic of my rustolium bumper job !!

What about the ridge that will be left when you lift the tape off?
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jeffndebrus:

What about the ridge that will be left when you lift the tape off?

The wetsanding and buffing will take it out I already took the tape off on my 4th coat and did some wetsanding, It came right out, The paint is very thin and easy to deal with.

TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
"Wonder if you could mix metal flake in to that paint?"
i wondered the exact same thing, and on the Moparts.org thread the thought is to mix it into a clear coat rather than the color. i'm going to try it both ways on my practice panel this winter, in the comfort of my living room. i'm going for an approximation of the medium red metallic original fiero color, to cover the crappy bright red repaint job on my '85. if it comes out as good as BLK86FSTBAKGT's, it's definitely worth experimenting with.
i found flake here
http://www.paintwithpearl.com/
if anyone with more painting experience has a better source, i'd be grateful for a pointer.

good job, BLK, and Earl, i'm definitely gonna give this a try now
how does the urethane behave? any special prep needed?

[This message has been edited by TorqueWench (edited 11-08-2006).]

02SOMFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02SOMFormulaClick Here to visit 02SOMFormula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 02SOMFormulaDirect Link to This Post
This is a GREAT thread!

I went out to Home Depot and bought a very small can of this! My car is the exact same as yours! I'm going to repaint the wing first, just to check it out and see if it works real well! I just want to keep my car white though! I'll keep an eye out on the yellowing! If it yellows, and the paint job works good, I'll just repaint the car black or something!

Great write-up, thanks! I'll keep an eye on this!
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Just some thoughts on this process... Wet sanding will give a greater shine, you've gone this far, don't skip on getting the paint as smooth as you can. As far as the metal flake goes, I doubt that it will work with a roller. Even with a spray can, the flake is diffficult to get to look spread out nice and evenly. I could be wrong though- I haven't tried it myself, just going on my experience using a metalic grey spray on my roof top, which by the way I need to sand and do over because of some bubbling due to my inability to be patient. Grrrrrrrrrrr...
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

F-I-E-R-O

8410 posts
Member since Jan 2005

Oh yeah... Real men don't work with "Odorless Spirits!"
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by F-I-E-R-O:

Oh yeah... Real men don't work with "Odorless Spirits!"

Then maybe you should get ahold of some of the stuff I'm using to strip the wallpaper adhesive off of my bathroom walls. Works great once you regain consciousness. lol

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy (8/26/06)

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Then maybe you should get ahold of some of the stuff I'm using to strip the wallpaper adhesive off of my bathroom walls. Works great once you regain consciousness. lol

ROLF !!
Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I did a little checking on the Rustoleum thing- The $50 roller paint job as detailed on another forum was done with the Rustoleum product called Tremclad sold in Canada the US product isn't the standard Rustoleum as sold in WalMart or the like but rather it's" Industrial Rustoleum", just a little tidbit of info
TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
yup, Tremclad.
they're also arguing in Brobdignag-ian fashion about which is better - the Tremclad, or a similar product called 'Brightside' - which i've never heard of - a marine product. i'm gonna go with the tremclad because the color pallette includes a dark red.
supposedly the odorless mineral spirits gave someone there some problems. my local hardware store doesn't have pure mineral spirits, but i wanna deviate from the instructions as little as possible so i'll drive further for the 'GoodStuff'
countach711

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for countach711Click Here to visit countach711's HomePageSend a Private Message to countach711Direct Link to This Post
I need one of you folks to try the HAMMERITE brand of paint. It comes in metallics, is a bit more expensive but has a really great finish. I think it is a better quality than Rustoleum. Do it, do it, do it!!!!!
NSAN1T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NSAN1TSend a Private Message to NSAN1TDirect Link to This Post
Roger or someone could help here, but my personal experience is:

when i was younger I learned a lil bout painting cars, we started on a Buick GN TType, Painted it artic white w/fine black metallic flake mixed in it, can't remember the parts to mix it by, but anyways.. we topped it off with 2 layers of clear then a layer of clear mixed w/fine "sapphire/royal" blue metallic flake.. then 2 mor clears.. the car turned out extremely beautiful.. at the time anyways.. from what i remember, it usually best to mix metallic in with the 2 layer of clear then add at least one regular clear on top of that.. the mixing withthe base is ok but it depends on the colors..

Its been 8+ years though.. i could be off a bit...

Originally posted by TorqueWench:

"Wonder if you could mix metal flake in to that paint?"
i wondered the exact same thing, and on the Moparts.org thread the thought is to mix it into a clear coat rather than the color. i'm going to try it both ways on my practice panel this winter, in the comfort of my living room. i'm going for an approximation of the medium red metallic original fiero color, to cover the crappy bright red repaint job on my '85. if it comes out as good as BLK86FSTBAKGT's, it's definitely worth experimenting with.
i found flake here
http://www.paintwithpearl.com/
if anyone with more painting experience has a better source, i'd be grateful for a pointer.

good job, BLK, and Earl, i'm definitely gonna give this a try now
how does the urethane behave? any special prep needed?

TorqueWench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2006 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TorqueWenchSend a Private Message to TorqueWenchDirect Link to This Post
flake stays in suspension even if the pain levels, right? viscosity, surface tension, and all that jazz?
half of me wants to think if the flake is evenly dispersed, than it would retain an even look even after wet sanding.
but then the other half of me reminds the first half of me that me knows next to nothing about painting cars, whatever the method...brush, gun, roller, or sneezed modern abstract pointilism.
the supposed other virtue of the roller/tremclad method is obviating the need for clearcoat. which would throw my adding flake to a clear idea out the window. the only way i'm gonna settle my curiosity, is to do it. i've got a rocker panel coming, that i could start on,
but i can't be sure the paint will play nice with the olefin. so i'm gonna wait til i have a door skin or fender.

i'll search for more info on Hammerite...
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2006 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
"...and the best part is, using Rustoleum means it won't ever rust!"

Nice job so far - those parts look like they turned out great. And, what really impresses me is, no overspray visible on the dining table .

[This message has been edited by StuGood (edited 11-09-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock