Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Has anyone tried this? 3.6 litre (3564 cc) LLT in Fiero. 300+ HP NA. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Has anyone tried this? 3.6 litre (3564 cc) LLT in Fiero. 300+ HP NA. by GADJet
Started on: 10-19-2010 11:34 AM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Rick 88 on 01-04-2011 01:28 PM
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:
Someone please please please figure out how to get this engine in our cars. It would be quite impressive unmodded. I'm assuming its also a solid amount lighter than the stock 2.8 or all 3.4 variants and 3.8s, since if I'm not mistaken- its an aluminum block/ heads.

It's aluminum yes, but it's a dohc, so there is more metal than if it were an iron block pushrod. The 3400 is also aluminum, as opposed to the 3.4 from the 4th gen F-bodies.

The total weight probably isn't as low as you assume it might be.
IP: Logged
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
The turbo 2.8 would be completely awesome, I agree, but packaging may be a big problem in a Fiero without redesigning the turbo system. The 'easy power' potential is much higher with that one, though.

If the documentation is correct, the LY7 weighs 370 lbs. as installed. I imagine the LLT is only very slightly heavier.

------------------

'88 Fiero GT - Project MIDTRBO
'10 Camaro LT/RS - daily driver
'96 Talon TSi AWD - 11-second winter beater
There's no replacement for turbo placement

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-01-2011).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by dobey:
It's aluminum yes, but it's a dohc, so there is more metal than if it were an iron block pushrod. The 3400 is also aluminum, as opposed to the 3.4 from the 4th gen F-bodies.

The total weight probably isn't as low as you assume it might be.

Only the 3400 heads are aluminum, the block is iron just the same as the rest. The aluminum heads save about 25 lbs dressed compared to the iron heads.

The HF V6 series is quite light for the tech they hold and the punch they pack. It's one of the reasons I love them so much.

Edit: ^ HF, not HV

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-01-2011).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:
If Wikipedia is right, the CTS has always been offered with a manual. 2002-2004 had a Getrag 260, and 2005+ has the Aisin AY6, which is a total POS by pretty much all accounts. I know this because my Camaro got the same one, but with slightly worse gearing.

Looking into it, the LY7 and LLT both get their fuel the same way, a returnless system with a standard pump.
The LLT then cranks the pressure way up (my Camaro idles at 500psi. It goes up to about 2000psi at redline IIRC) by using an engine driven mechanical fuel pump. The LY7, of course, doesn't.
What would the difference be to put either of them into a Fiero?

The CTS has always been offered with a manual option, yes, but it doesn't mean all engines and all transmissions available, can necessarily be bought together. For instance, in the new Camaro, you can always get a manual or an automatic, but on the SS, the LS3 only comes with a manual, and the automatic only gets the L99. You can't get an L99 with a manual, or an LS3 with an auto. I just did a search over the whole country trying to find a CTS with the LY7 and manual trans. It seems most people like to put the 6 speed automatic as manual, which is frustrating. And pretty much nobody has good pics of the engine bay, or they don't list the engine size. Anyway, I did find a few with the 3.6 and a stick, that aren't LLTs, so I guess the LY7 was available in the CTS with a manual, but it seems like a rare find.

I didn't have that information on the fuel system when I made that statement. Where did you find it? I didn't realize the LLT had a mechanical pump that made that much fuel pressure. I had presumed it was a different fuel pump and lines. Interesting the pressure is that high though. I don't think LPG requires that much pressure even, though does require a lot more than normal fuel systems. If everything connecting to the engine is the same, I guess it wouldn't be any more difficult.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:
Only the 3400 heads are aluminum, the block is iron just the same as the rest. The aluminum heads save about 25 lbs dressed compared to the iron heads.

The HV V6 series is quite light for the tech they hold and the punch they pack. It's one of the reasons I love them so much.

Ah, right. I must have gotten the 3400 confused. The HV V6 engines were nice, yeah, but I prefer the HF family for a V6 option.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2011 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Rick 88:
Wouldn't it be easier to just install the complete HF 2.8 turbo V6 Saab engine and matching 6-speed manual transaxle since they are already designed to work together? I rode in one of these cars and it was pretty impressive. Too bad there is not a stand alone ECM for these. I would really like a driveline like this in my car.

If you drop the turbo, it might be "easier" in that it comes with the F40. But you could just get the trans/harness/ecm, and bolt on the LY7 and have the 3.6 instead. Or an even more interesting option if you want a turbo 2.8 version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...l_Insignia#OPC.2FVXR
It comes with the F40, and makes 321hp/321tq.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2011 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:The HV V6 engines were nice, yeah, but I prefer the HF family for a V6 option.

BAH, I meant HF. They (these we're talking about, heh) are quite light despite the 'heavy' tech.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
I didn't have that information on the fuel system when I made that statement. Where did you find it? I didn't realize the LLT had a mechanical pump that made that much fuel pressure. I had presumed it was a different fuel pump and lines. Interesting the pressure is that high though. I don't think LPG requires that much pressure even, though does require a lot more than normal fuel systems. If everything connecting to the engine is the same, I guess it wouldn't be any more difficult.

This is worthy of quoting here for all to see:
http://www.fullthrottlev6.c...ne-specs-description

LLT:

2010 GM 3.6L V-6 VVT DI (LLT)
3.6L V-6 VVT DI (LLT) CAR and TRUCK ENGINE

− Base engine in the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, Chevrolet Camaro,

and Cadillac STS.
− Optional engine for the Cadillac CTS, CTS Wagon, and Buick LaCrosse

− Advanced multi-outlet high pressure fuel injectors that inject fuel directly into

the combustion chamber
− Variable, high-pressure engine-driven fuel pump for multiple injection events

− Stainless steel fuel rail

− Advanced engine control module (ECM) for direct injection control

− RWD applications matched to 6L50 six-speed automatic transmission

− FWD applications matched to 6T75 six speed automatic transmission. It is an advanced

transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel drive vehicles.
The transmission's six-gear configuration allows for a "steep" 4.48:1 first gear, which
helps deliver exceptional launch feel, and a 0.74:1 overdrive sixth gear. Sixth
gear lowers rpm at highway speeds, reducing noise and vibration while improving fuel
economy. Also, the 6T75 offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise
shift control.
− New direct injection engine keeps oil life monitoring system

− Cam phasing coupled with direct injection further reduces cold start exhaust emissions

− Cast aluminum cylinder block and heads

− Double overhead cams with four valves per cylinder

− Cams driven by small-pitch, inverted tooth chain

− Variable valve timing with four-cam phasing for precise intake and exhaust tuning and

control
− High-power and high efficiency 11.3:1 compression ratio

− Cast aluminum polymer coated oil cooled pistons, with a fully floating wristpin

− Oil jets cool the pistons, while polymer-coated skirts reduce noise and friction

− Durable forged crankshaft, and precision sinter-forged connecting rods

− Cast aluminum structural oil pan stiffens the cylinder block structure and reduces noise

− Electronic throttle control with advanced integrated cruise control

− Reliable coil-on-spark-plug ignition

− Optimally tuned exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters

− Composite camshaft covers are fully isolated and reduce noise

− Numerous other noise, vibration and harshness controls

− Exclusive durability enhancements and minimal maintenance requirements

− Manufacturing techniques refined for exceptional quality and manufacturing efficiency

Full Description of New and Updated Features
Base engine in

Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Traverse, Cadillac STS, and Chevrolet

Camaro. Optional engine in Cadillac CTS, CTS Wagon, and Buick LaCrosse.
The 3.6L VVT V-6 DI engine is the base engine in the Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Chevrolet
Traverse, Chevrolet Camaro LT and LS, and Cadillac STS. It is also the optional engine in the
Cadillac CTS, CTS Wagon, and Buick LaCrosse. The LLT is an efficient and powerful 3.6L
DOHC V-6 engine with variable valve timing and direct fuel injection technology. Introduction in
the 2009 Traverse is the first application of the sophisticated engine in a Chevrolet. It is backed
by a fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission. The powertrain combination delivers strong,
on-demand performance including 0-60mph acceleration of approximately 8 seconds in the
Traverse and a projected 25 mpg in highway driving.

Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors for direct combustion chamber fuel injection
Conventional port-injected engines inject fuel upstream of the intake valve into the intake port,
and this fuel and air mixture enters the combustion chamber when the intake valve opens. On
the direct-injection 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI, fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber
during the intake stroke, at which time only air flows through the intake system and into the
combustion chamber when the intake valve opens.
During the subsequent compression stroke, the fuel and air mixture now in the combustion
chamber is ignited conventionally by the spark plug. As the fuel vaporizes in the cylinder, the air
and fuel mixture is cooled. This enables the use of a higher compression ratio in the
combustion chamber, which improves engine performance and efficiency. Less fuel is required
to produce the equivalent horsepower as a result of direct-injection technology compared to a
conventional port-injection fuel system. Direct-injection technology also helps reduce cold-start
emissions by approximately 25 percent.
The direct-injection fuel injectors, that inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber, are
located beneath the intake ports, which transfer only air. Because the ports are not used to mix
the fuel and air, efficiency of the air flow is increased. In addition, the control of the injection
event, via direct-injection technology, is very precise and results in better combustion efficiency
and fuel consumption at all throttle openings. A higher compression ratio is also possible due to
a cooling effect as the injected fuel vaporizes in the combustion chamber. This cooling effect
reduces the charge temperature reducing the likelihood of spark knock. The direct-injection fuel
injectors have been developed to withstand the greater heat and pressure inside the
combustion chamber, and also utilize multiple outlets for best injection control.
The increased combustion efficiency and control helps to reduce emissions, particularly during
cold starts, which is when the bulk of emissions are created. As noted earlier, the 3.6L V-6 VVT
DI engine's compression ratio is also increased to 11.3:1, aiding power output and fuel
efficiency.
The 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI is based on GM's sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC)
V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM's V-6 engines developed for
applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM
technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America, and Sweden.

High-pressure engine-driven fuel pump for multiple injection events
To overcome the higher pressures inside the combustion chamber, as well as supply the
multiple injection points of the direct injection nozzles, an engine-driven high-pressure pump
supplies fuel to the injectors. This variable pressure high-pressure pump feeds a high-strength
stainless steel fuel rail that is attached to the injectors. The high-pressure pump is supplied by a
conventional fuel pump mounted in the fuel tank. The high-pressure pump can supply up to
1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure, although delivered pressure is dependent upon fuel demand
and engine speed. For example, at idle, the fuel system is regulated to about 508 psi (35 bar)
and increases with demand. The high-pressure pump is mounted on the end of the cylinder
head and is driven by the exhaust cam.

Advanced electronic control module (ECM) for direct injection control
The engine management system uses a sophisticated controller (ECM) designed to drive the
high pressure fuel system and provide software and calibration capability to control all of the
engine's hardware and engine management systems.

6T75 six-speed automatic transmission
The 3.6 VVT V-6 DI engine will be mated to the 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission. It is an
advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel drive
vehicles. The transmission's six-gear configuration allows for a "steep" 4.48:1 first gear, which
helps deliver exceptional launch feel, and a 0.74:1 overdrive sixth gear. Sixth gear lowers rpm
at highway speeds, reducing noise and vibration while improving fuel economy. Also, the 6T75
offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise shift control.

Oil life monitoring system
The 3.6L (LLT) engine incorporates a number of other customer-friendly features, including
GM's industry-leading Oil Life System, which determines oil change intervals by actual operation
parameters, rather than a preset mileage limit.

Cam phasing coupled with direct injection further reduces exhaust emissions
Cam phasing pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve
overlap and eliminating the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

Overview
Introduced in the 2004 Cadillac CTS, the 3.6L V-6 VVT (RPO LY7) was the first in GM's global
family of high-feature V-6 engines, with four cam, four valves per cylinder configuration, with the
cams driven by maintenance free silent primary chain drive. Its architecture was jointly
developed by GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, the United States and Sweden. The
3.6L V-6 VVT DI ( LLT ) is based on the philosophy that a true family of global engines
provides the best value and performance for the customer and the best return on investment for
General Motors. It applies the most advanced automotive engine technology available, from
state-of-the-art casting processes to full four-cam phasing to ultra-fast data processing and
torque-based engine management. Since its launch, application has spread to an expanding
number of vehicles for one primary reason. The 3.6L V-6 VVT DI delivers a market-leading
balance of good specific output, high torque over a broad rpm band, fuel economy, low
emissions and first-rate noise, vibration and harshness control, with exclusive durability
enhancing features and very low maintenance.
Like earlier versions of the high-feature V-6, the 3.6-liter VVT DI employs four cam phasing to
change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary.
The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high
specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall
engine response and drivability. When combined, direct-injection and cam phasing
technologies enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in
gasoline V-6 engines.
By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers allow the engine to
draw the desired amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, reducing unburned
hydrocarbon emissions. The return of exhaust gases also decreases peak combustion
temperatures which contributes to the reduction of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. In
tandem with the dramatic 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions brought on
by direct-injection, the 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI surpasses all emissions mandates, and does so
without complex, weight-increasing emissions control systems such as EGR and air injection
reaction (AIR).
The 3.6L V-6 VVT DI incorporates a timing chain with a relatively small pitch of 7.70 mm. The
chain features an inverted tooth design. The smaller links engage at a lower impact speed,
which decreases the noise generated. In conjunction with the smaller pitch chain, the number of
teeth on the sprockets are increased which increases the meshing frequency and further
reduces noise and vibration.
The inverted tooth timing chain is now used on all of GM's V-6 VVT engines since its introduction in
the 2007 model year.
The oil pan on 3.6L V-6 VVT DI is stiffened to improve powertrain rigidity and reduce vehicle
vibration. The oil pan bolts to the transmission bell housing as well as the engine block,
eliminating points of vibration. The oil pan provides another example of extensive efforts to
minimize noise and vibration in the 3.6L V-6 VVT DI. Cast aluminum dampens internal engine
noise better than a conventional stamped steel pan. Structurally, it is considerably stiffer. The
design was optimized with math-based analysis and carefully crafted curves in the pan's sides
and bottom. These reduce the broadcasting or "drumming'' of noise created as oil flows through
the crankcase, and they increase bending stiffness in the pan.
Like the conventionally injected 3.6L V-6 VVT DI, the direct injection engine's block is a
precision casting (precision sand molds) and cast from a aluminum alloy, A319 alloy in this
instance. It incorporates cast-in iron bore liners, six-bolt main bearing journals and inter-bay
breather vents. Cylinder heads are also aluminum. Four valves per cylinder and a silent chain
valvetrain contribute to both smoothness and high output. Four-cam phasing changes the timing
of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. That means
smooth, even torque delivery with high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement)
and excellent specific fuel consumption. Cam phasing also pays big dividends in reducing
exhaust emissions. By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers
create an internal exhaust-gas recirculation system. The 3.6L V-6 VVT DI meets all emissions
mandates without complex, weight-increasing emissions control systems such as EGR and air
injection reaction (AIR).
Aluminum-intensive construction extends to the pistons, which are manufactured as cast
aluminum polymer coated oil cooled pistons, with a fully floating wristpin, and these pistons are
considerably lighter than conventional pistons. Less weight means less reciprocating mass in
the engine, which in turn means less inertia and greater operating efficiency. Moreover, the V-6
VVT pistons are crafted with a number of features that enhance durability and reduce noise and
harshness, including a high-tech polymer coating and floating wrist pins. The V-6 VVT engine
family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. Three jet
assemblies in the block hold a pair of oil-squirting nozzles that drench the underside of each
piston and the surrounding cylinder wall with an extra layer of cooling, friction-reducing oil. The
jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without
reducing long-term durability.
The crankshaft is manufactured from forged steel, and the connecting rods are a sinter forging,
as used on other 3.6L V-6 VVT engines. The camshaft covers are fully isolated composite
material covers that also perform as a noise barrier.
The 3.6L V-6 VVT is managed the Bosch Motronic E69 controller. This sophisticated electronic
control module (ECM) uses a torque-based control strategy, which improves upon throttlebased
management systems that rely exclusively on a throttle position sensor to manage
electronic throttle control. Cruise control is also integrated into the electronic throttle control. The
torque-based strategy measures the cam phasing positions and other operational parameters
and translates that data into an ideal throttle position and engine output, based on the driver's
positioning of the accelerator pedal. The ECM and a wide range of sensors allow failsafe
systems, including ignition operation in the event of timing sensor failures. The ignition is
individual coil-on-plug. The control software protects the V-6 VVT from permanent damage in
the event of complete coolant loss, and allows the engine to operate at reduced power for a
prescribed distance sufficient for the driver to find service. It also allows a number of other
customer-friendly features, including GM's industry-leading Oil Life System, which determines
oil change intervals by actual operation parameters, rather than a preset mileage limit.
Low Maintenance
The cam drive and valvetrain components require no scheduled maintenance. A sophisticated
cam-chain tensioner, high-quality cam phasing components and hydraulic lash adjusters are
designed to ensure optimal valvetrain performance for the life of the engine with no adjustment.
Even perishable components provide extended useful life. The spark plugs incorporate precious
metal electrodes that allow a service life of 100,000 miles without degradation in spark plug
performance. The plugs are easy to remove because they are located in the center of the cam
cover. Extended life coolant retains its cooling and corrosion-inhibiting properties for 100,000
miles in normal use. The accessory-drive belt was specified primarily for low-noise operation,
yet it is manufactured from EPDM rather than neoprene and should last the same 100,000 miles
before replacement is recommended. The oil filter requires only element replacement, and it's
designed to virtually eliminate spillage when the cartridge is removed.
The 3.6L direct injection V-6 VVT variant can be built with no significant casting changes to
major components than the conventionally injected 3.6L VVT V-6 that is also built in St.
Catharines, Ontario and Melbourne, Australia. Core engine components are designed to be
common whenever possible. The basic V-6 block is used in all vehicle applications, with
differences limited to machining. While different vehicles require different oil pans, the pan's
mating surfaces with the engine block and transmission are common in all cases, allowing
considerable assembly efficiencies. The net result is streamlined procurement practices, fewer
tool changes in the plant, shorter assembly time and improved quality for the customer.
The 3.6L V-6 VVT DI engine is built in GM Plants located in Flint - Michigan, St. Catharines -
Ontario - Canada, Ramos - Mexico, and Melbourne - Australia.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-02-2011).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2011 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
LY7 (very similar):

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1431

LY7 engine specs

2008 GM 3.6L V6 VVT (LY7)
3.6L V6 VVT (LY7) CAR AND TRUCK ENGINE

• New Applications in 2008 Saturn VUE XR & Redline, Chevrolet Equinox Sport & Pontiac Torrent GXP,G8 and Chevrolet Malibu

New Application in 2008 Saturn VUE XR & Redline, Chevrolet Equinox Sport & Pontiac Torrent GXP and G8, and Chevrolet Malibu LT & LTZ
The 3.6L V6 VVT is available as an option on these packages. These are transverse installations, equipped with GMPT’s new 6T70 Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic transmission.

Full Description of Carryover Features

In 2007, a new high-output version of the 3.6L V6 VVT powered the new Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia crossover sport-utility vehicles. This engine is a transverse installation, matched with GM Powertrain’s 6T75 Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic transmission and either front- or all-wheel drive. In 2008, we will continue to offer this same combination of engine/transmission for the Acadia and Outlook. In 2008, the 3.6L makes its debut in the Pontiac G8 as the base engine for this new vehicle offering.

The 3.6L V6 VVT HO generates more horsepower thanks to changes in the cylinder heads and induction system, increasing airflow through the engine. The intake ports have been reshaped to increase flow, and the intake manifold features longer runners that reduce airflow restrictions. Finally, the exhaust cams have been re-profiled to speed the flow of exhaust gas out of the engine at wide-open throttle. Maximum lift does not change, but duration increases to keep the exhaust valves open a fraction longer. Preliminary figures indicate a horsepower increase of nearly six percent compared to the previous most powerful version of the 3.6L V6 VVT.

The higher output version retains the 3.6L V6 VVT’s sophisticated variable intake system. The aluminum intake manifold has a valve in its plenum, managed by the engine control module (ECM), which opens and closes according to engine speed. At idle, the valve is open. From just past idle to mid rpm, the valve closes and effectively creates two separate plenums, each feeding the intake runners and ports for half of the cylinders. This optimizes airflow at lower engine speeds to maximize low-end torque. At higher engine speeds, the plenum plate opens, creating a single, higher-volume plenum feeding all cylinders for freer breathing and high-rev horsepower. The variable intake manifold (VIM) allows optimal airflow for a given engine speed without the compromises of a fixed-volume plenum. In combination with cam phasing, it means impressively linear torque delivery.

This higher output version of the 3.6L V6 VVT features its own comprehensive acoustic package, with a full sound-dampening cover between the cam covers. The base Saturn Outlook will be equipped with single exhaust in both front- and all-wheel drive variants. All other vehicles built with the higher-output 3.6L V6 VVT will feature dual exhaust.

The 3.6L V6 VVT is available as an option on the G6 coupe and sedan and the Saturn Aura sedan. This is a transverse installation. Accessory drive is similar to that in the Buick LaCrosse, but in the G6 and Aura the 3.6L V6 VVT will be equipped with Powertrain’s new 6T70 Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic transmission.

Smaller Pitch Timing Chain
The 3.6L V6 VVT in the Cadillac CTS has a new timing chain with a smaller pitch (7.7 mm compared to 9.5mm previously) and more links. The chain features an inverted tooth design. The smaller links engage at a lower impact speed, which decreases the noise generated. In conjunction with the new chain, the number of teeth on the sprockets is also increased, increasing the meshing frequency and further reducing noise and vibration.

The new timing chain is a running change that will occur in all of GM Powertain’s V6 VVT engines through the course of the 2007 model year.

Dual-Spray Fuel Injectors
Fuel injectors on the 3.6L V6 VVT now have two tiny spray nozzles. Developed with Bosch, the dual-spray injectors improve fuel atomization in the combustion chambers compared to single-tip injectors, allowing more complete combustion. The new injectors allow better emissions management. All 3.6L V6 VVTs except those built for the Buick LaCrosse are equipped with the dual-spray fuel injectors.

Improved Oil Pan
The oil pan on 3.6L V6 VVTs built for the Cadillac CTS, SRX and STS have been stiffened to improve powertrain rigidity and reduce vehicle vibration. The oil pan bolts to the transmission bell housing as well as the engine block, eliminating points of vibration.

Overview
Introduced in the 2004 Cadillac CTS and SRX, the 3.6L V6 VVT (RPO LYZ) was the first in GM Powertrain’s global family of high-feature V6 engines. Its architecture was jointly developed by GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, the United States and Sweden. The 3.6L VVT V6 is based on the philosophy that a true family of global engines provides the best value and performance for the customer and the best return on investment for General Motors. It applies the most advanced automotive engine technology available, from state-of-the-art casting processes to full four-cam phasing to ultra-fast data processing and torque-based engine management. Since its launch, application has spread to an expanding number of vehicles for one primary reason. The 3.6L V6 VVT delivers a market-leading balance of good specific output, high torque over a broad rpm band, fuel economy, low emissions and first-rate noise, vibration and harshness control, with exclusive durability enhancing features and very low maintenance.

The 3.6L V6 VVT’s engine block is cast with sand molds from A319 aluminum, with strong cast-in iron bore liners, six-bolt main bearing journals and inter-bay breather vents. Cylinder heads are also aluminum. Four valves per cylinder and a silent chain valvetrain contribute to both smoothness and high output. Four-cam phasing changes the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. That means smooth, even torque delivery with high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement) and excellent specific fuel consumption. Cam phasing also pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions. By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers create an internal exhaust-gas recirculation system. The 3.8L V6 VVT meets all emissions mandates without complex, weight-increasing emissions control systems such as EGR and air injection reaction (AIR).

Aluminum-intensive construction extends to the pistons, which are manufactured as cast aluminum polymer coated oil cooled pistons, with a fully floating wristpin, and these pistons are considerably lighter than conventional pistons. Less weight means less reciprocating mass in the engine, which in turn means less inertia and greater operating efficiency. Moreover, the V6 VVT pistons are crafted with a number of features that enhance durability and reduce noise and harshness, including a high-tech polymer coating and floating wrist pins. The V6 VVT engine family was developed with pressure-actuated oil squirters in all applications. Three jet assemblies in the block hold a pair of oil-squirting nozzles that drench the underside of each piston and the surrounding cylinder wall with an extra layer of cooling, friction-reducing oil. The jets reduce piston temperature, which in turn allows the engine to produce more power without reducing long-term durability. The extra layer of oil on the cylinder walls and wristpin further dampens noise emanating from the pistons.

The oil pan provides another example of extensive efforts to minimize noise and vibration in the 3.6L V6 VVT. Cast aluminum dampens internal engine noise better than a conventional stamped steel pan. Structurally, it is considerably stiffer. The design was optimized with math-based analysis and carefully crafted curves in the pan’s sides and bottom. These reduce the broadcasting or “drumming’’ of noise created as oil flows through the crankcase, and they increase bending stiffness in the pan.

The 3.6L V6 VVT is managed the Bosch Motronic ME9 controller. This sophisticated electronic control module (ECM) uses a torque-based control strategy, which improves upon throttle-based management systems that rely exclusively on a throttle position sensor to manage electronic throttle control. The torque-based strategy measures the position of the intake plenum plate, cam phasing positions and other operational parameters and translates that data into an ideal throttle position and engine output, based on the driver’s positioning of the gas pedal. The ECM and a wide range of sensors allow failsafe systems, including ignition operation in the event of timing sensor failures. The control software protects the V6 VVT from permanent damage in the event of complete coolant loss, and allows the engine to operate at reduced power for a prescribed distance sufficient for the driver to find service. It also allows a number of other customer-friendly features, including GM's industry-leading Oil Life System, which determines oil change intervals by actual operation parameters, rather than a preset mileage limit.

The cam drive and valvetrain components require no scheduled maintenance. A sophisticated cam-chain tensioner, high-quality cam phasing components and hydraulic lash adjusters are designed to ensure optimal valvetrain performance for the life of the engine with no adjustment. Even perishable components provide extended useful life. The spark plugs have dual-platinum electrodes and a service life of 100,000 miles without degradation in spark density. The plugs are easy to remove because they are located in the center of the cam cover. Extended life coolant retains its cooling and corrosion-inhibiting properties for 100,000 miles in normal use. The two accessory-drive belts were specified primarily for low-noise operation, yet they are manufactured of EPDM rather than neoprene and should last the same 100,000 miles before replacement is recommended. The oil filter requires only element replacement, and it’s designed to virtually eliminate spillage when the cartridge is removed.

The V-6 VVT development and production teams made assembly efficiency a priority. All global V6 variants can be built with no significant casting changes to major components. Core engine components are designed to be common whenever possible. The basic V6 block is used in all vehicle applications, with differences limited to machining. While different vehicles require different oil pans, the pan’s mating surfaces with the engine block and transmission are common in all cases, allowing considerable assembly efficiencies. The net result is streamlined procurement practices, fewer tool changes in the plant, shorter assembly time and improved quality for the customer.

Production for the 3.6L V6 VVT is located in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada and Port Melbourne, Australia.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-02-2011).]

Jim88GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim88GTSend a Private Message to Jim88GTDirect Link to This Post
Another possible upgrade - copied from the Camaro site:

In addition to the new 2012 Camaro options/features revealed a few days ago, it seems there may be a new V6 engine for the 2012 Camaro. Labeled the “LFX”, it seems to be a significant improvement on the already outstanding LLT V6 found in LS and LT Camaros.

The new engine option description is: “LFX 3.6L SIDI, DOHC, VVT, E85 MAX, Alum GM“

The LFX should displace 3.6L, like the current V6 found in the Camaro. And it’s packed to the brim with advanced technologies like Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection, Dual Overhead Cams, Variable Valve Timing, and E85 capability!!

We feel that the LFX may produce in the 325-330hp ballpark in the 2012 V6 Camaro.

Jim
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
So you guys who are planning to do this as your next swap, do you have a strategy in mind?
I'm curious if you're waiting for hptuners to crack the DI ECM or a standalone ecm? or plan to swap everything over from a whole donor car?
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-04-2011 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

So you guys who are planning to do this as your next swap, do you have a strategy in mind?
I'm curious if you're waiting for hptuners to crack the DI ECM or a standalone ecm? or plan to swap everything over from a whole donor car?

I really don't care if HP Tuners 'cracks' the ECM or not. I plan on using most all the stuff out of a G6 GXP in my car (just because it's an easy way to get the whole thing modernized, and the interior in the G6 is pretty nice). But I do plan on hacking the ECM program to tune some things. And I won't be using an automatic, but will be doing the LY7 with an F40.
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jim88GT:

Another possible upgrade - copied from the Camaro site:

In addition to the new 2012 Camaro options/features revealed a few days ago, it seems there may be a new V6 engine for the 2012 Camaro. Labeled the “LFX”, it seems to be a significant improvement on the already outstanding LLT V6 found in LS and LT Camaros.

The new engine option description is: “LFX 3.6L SIDI, DOHC, VVT, E85 MAX, Alum GM“

The LFX should displace 3.6L, like the current V6 found in the Camaro. And it’s packed to the brim with advanced technologies like Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection, Dual Overhead Cams, Variable Valve Timing, and E85 capability!!

We feel that the LFX may produce in the 325-330hp ballpark in the 2012 V6 Camaro.

Jim

The 2012 LFX 3.6 will also carry larger heads, and exhaust valves, a new "tuneable" ECM, and have a revised intake manifold.

Is it correct that the 2.8 HF turbo V6 in the SAAB is only connected to a six speed manual all wheel drive transaxle? Or do they offer it in FWD also? This same 2.8 turbo engine was offered in the 2010 Cadillac SRX but with automatic only. It did not sell well so it has been discontinued for 2011. SRX owners are not really concerned about power.........

Frankly, I would be happy with any 3.6 HF engine attached to the six speed manual transaxle. I'd like the DI motor, but even the Malibu 3.6 with sequential fuel injection would put out plenty of power in a Fiero and give it that high rpm scream we don't have now.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock