Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  How do you get the "drive" to finish you project car? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
How do you get the "drive" to finish you project car? by 87antuzzi
Started on: 05-30-2010 12:36 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: billpapps on 06-16-2010 09:04 AM
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
How do you guys do it? Ive been working on this for 3 months. I have no desire to finish it really. I will buy stuff to finish it but just dont have the drive to want to finish it. Im at the point where i need to clean the garage and pull my old engine. I dont have a car at the moment and miss my fiero but with no one to help me pull the engine its kinda rough. I just lost my drive to finish it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
I find it helps to look at other people's finished projects, nothing gets me going like seeing a sexy fiero

------------------

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I run into that from time to time, it's just plain hard. When I find myself sitting there watching t.v. and thinking about the car, I force myself to turn off the t.v. and go do 1 thing to the car. doesn't matter if it's just installing the new spark plugs in the motor that's about to go in, I just force myself to do it. If you do 1 thing per day you'll be surprised how quickly you'll make progress and your drive will return on it's own as you see yourself approaching completion and the "to do" list dwindling.

p.s. sorry if I sound like a rambling idiot, kinda drunk right now. Lol
jokerb90

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jokerb90Send a Private Message to jokerb90Direct Link to This Post
Between the family, Coast Guard, and life, its taken me a little over a year to drive mine. But, a 4.9 Allante is such a ride. Every time I gave it more than 1/3 throttle in 2nd she breaks free. Yes I need new tires and it had rained, but man, what a ride.

Keep the end goal in mind, imangine that first ride (and all the others), hit up the forum for questions and you'll get there. Come on, if I can, yours will be better....
Silentassassin185

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silentassassin185Send a Private Message to Silentassassin185Direct Link to This Post
Same way I get my car fixed when it breaks down. It goes into "timeout" until I am ready to work on it again and drive my truck instead. For instance right now I've got a coil or ICM going out on my L67 car that is causing it to die when it gets near operating temp, so it'll sit there til I'm ready to work on it again. I go out and start it once a week or so until it starts warming up and cutting out again.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
3 years on the 87gt, 6 years on the 84 SE.

Drive? Fiero Desktop picture and giving up is for the weak. I am not weak.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Derermination, very boring day, lots of beer.
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I can't decide if it is the want to finish what I started (I always get in over my head) or the want to start the next project (only one at a time).
kyunderdawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
I've had my '87 GT since January of '08 and all I've done is put my brake package on from the Fiero Store. Oh, and a new heater core after I got it. Other than that...........nothing. I could've had it on the road soon if it wasn't for my Z24. I had a full suspension lined up for it, but now it will have to wait a little longer

Each day I have to walk my the 3.8SC sitting there on the garage floor and just shake my head . Ahh, one day it will get done. Ya just have to keep chippin' away at it. That's what I keep in my mind.......stay positive.

Paul
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
"How do you get the "drive" to finish you project car?"

By doing something on it everyday, even if it is only a few minutes for a particular day.

Do NOT let it sit! If you do, give yourself an "L".
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
This is one question I can not answer...lol I even have the "NEVER BE FINISHED PFF AWARD"

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Steve
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E
(Un.Su.)

PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
This thing car is now on a mental level. I will walk into a auto parts store for a nut or bolt. On a sub-conscious level it makes me grab everything off the shelfs and buy it. My new fiero goodies will then be taken home and stored and never put on. I just bought some side scoops. I know damn well those scoops will never make it on the car.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
first have a clear picture in you head or on paper of what it is you want it to be when it is done, this is a big one too many people start a build and have no idea what it is they want from it. in the end it will cost you way more and will never get done.
I take a project and brake it up into sections that I know that I can finish fast so progress is always made. with larger tasks I will sometimes do 2 or 3 of them at once so if I get burned out on one part I can always work on another one and then later go back to the first part. this keeps the project going and keeps it fresh for you.

I have found that I love to build them but it is great to see all you work pay off in the end.

this is a common problem for many people, if you don't think you can finish it find someone that can come over and help or take it to someone that can do it for you.
I know you may be thinking it would cost too much to do that but trust me in the end it would cost less and you would have the car you always wanted rather than selling it for way less than you have in it and be out a car.

food for thought
D.
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Im never going to sell the car (will take 500obo).
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Im never going to sell the car (will take 500obo).

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry. LOL!
if you where closer I would say bring it over to my shop and lets get it done. I am sure someone near you could give you a hand and keep it going.
Good luck and don't give up. you will get it done.
D.

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Im just playin. Its not for sale. Honestly.....You said picture your final product....well its your silver gt.lol. You own my dream car.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Silver GTs are sweet! My drive took several years. It sat dormant many a time, for many a month. The time and effort put forth, is always worth it in the end. Nothing like being able to say that you did it yourself. Good luck man...
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Im just playin. Its not for sale. Honestly.....You said picture your final product....well its your silver gt.lol. You own my dream car.

Well then let me help you picture it then Now get to work, LOL! and thanks
D.

by the way I am known for finishing cars and then selling them so I can build another one
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. God D#$N That's a beautiful car!!!
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. God D#$N That's a beautiful car!!!

It just looks so....mean. Its like the bully on the playground punking all the little kids for their lunch money.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
"How do you get the "drive" to finish you project car?"

4535 posts in 16 months? The real question is, How do you get the "drive" to spend your life typing on PFF?

Before every future post, do one thing on the car, even if it's just removing a nut.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-30-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-30-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:
Before every future post, do one thing on the car, even if it's just removing a nut.

I don't think removing nuts makes for a very driveable car…

I can't even work on my Fiero right now really, because it's the only car I have that is driveable. Though my S-10 will be back on the road in a couple days. My Mini won't start, and I can't figure out what is wrong with it. At this point, I think the ECU may actually be bad. But having it decide to no longer start did give me a bit more motivation to getting the S-10 fixed up. That, and I need the S-10 to go pick up the LS4 when it gets to the freight terminal, and an engine hoist, and lots of other things for my Fiero.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Same boat here, although the plethora of beautiful fieros around Spokane and their owners taunting me to finish mine helps.. My personal motivator is the desire to drive to the Fiero Fest this year (early August in Richland, WA). I won't have it painted by then, but I want to drive it VERY badly.

My wife's constantly hollering at me to finish that car or burn it. That helps too..

------------------
----------------------------------------------------
Currently in the middle of my 88 + 3800NA swap

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

How do you guys do it? Ive been working on this for 3 months. I have no desire to finish it really. I will buy stuff to finish it but just dont have the drive to want to finish it. Im at the point where i need to clean the garage and pull my old engine. I dont have a car at the moment and miss my fiero but with no one to help me pull the engine its kinda rough. I just lost my drive to finish it.

Never stop the project. Nose to the grind stone. I estimate the entire scope of the project before hand and know the it will take 50% to 100% more effort and money than I had planned. For me it has to be a project I want so bad that I never want to quit. Other wise, it is not worth starting.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Requirements for motivation:

A well lighted 2 bay garage with heat & air.
A car lift.
A full compliment of tools.
A utility cart to set your parts on so you dont have to bend over.
And a free helper to hand you tools and assist you.

Once these are aquired you'll wonder how you ever made it thru life without them.

And always set a deadline for the project & like previous post,, do something to the car everyday. Even if its in the driveway on your back. I been there too.

Spoon

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Here's how I get my dedcation - I look at the 3 or 4 other projects I have waiting in line for garage space - it motivates me to keep it moving. I do feel your pain though - sometimes I just run out of steam. Then somebody gives me a boot in the butt and I get moving again. Here's you boot in the butt form me.......... Take a deep breath - stand back and "visualize" your end result and then get after it.

Pat
87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Requirements for motivation:

A well lighted 2 bay garage with heat & air.
A car lift.
A full compliment of tools.
A utility cart to set your parts on so you dont have to bend over.
And a free helper to hand you tools and assist you.

Once these are aquired you'll wonder how you ever made it thru life without them.

And always set a deadline for the project & like previous post,, do something to the car everyday. Even if its in the driveway on your back. I been there too.

Spoon

HA. I have a garage that can barley fit a fiero....but i do have a full set of tools
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
It helps to have another Fiero to drive around in
when you have to have that "fix" that every Fiero owner needs.
(yes, I know many have only one Fiero)

I go crazy if I cant drive my Fiero at least every two weeks.

Kit
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
I'm closer to finishing the Daily driver car than I am the project. The project has pretty much SAT for a year.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Easiest way for me is to not depend on having it running ever again!
Then it's fun, not work.

Just get a sawzall and get mad one night. The rest is cake.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
this should give you a little push. I took my car to the Dells and won big at the show and had a great time talking to everyone about the car.
(this could be you!, now get back to work! )
D.
PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

I just bought some side scoops. I know damn well those scoops will never make it on the car.

Which side scoops? I may be able to give you some money and take that burden off your hands. PM me if you're willing!

Where do I get the "drive" to finish it?
I usually sit in the driver's seat and push on the disconnected accelerator, clutch, and brake pedals while moving around the infinitely-variable shifter and rocking the semi-connected steering wheel back and forth while making motor-boat noises right before the PSHHHT! sound of the invisible BOV, all while trying to avoid the inevitable imaginary burst right through the closed garage door.

At least, that is, before I had to give in , so I sent my car off to the Haus of Guru (bmwguru's shop).
Now the drive comes from knowing that if I don't work my sickly butt off at my job, not only won't I have a running turbo Fiero or a new daily driver Camaro, we won't have food, a house, or a/c and heat either.

------------------
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO

'10 Camaro LT/RS, 312hp V6 6-speed -

The rest of my cars are for sale
There's no replacement for turbo placement

Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
When i started restoring mine i just focused all my time, money, and energy on getting it running & drivable on the road first.. Which took me about 5 months too get done.. I didnt spend money on anything else for the car.. Now that i can drive it when i want too, now im doing all the upgrades, and cosmetic stuff. So i can enjoy the car while upgrading it at the same time. There will always be down time, like when i swap a 3.4 in, two months from now.

I also find its helpfull to pay someone to do the really big jobs for you.. Like my engine swap will be done at the Fiero Factory. I just dont really have the space, and time to do it myself. So spending the extra cash to get it done for me is worth it to me. And the upside to that is the downtime for my car will probably be a few weeks, instead of months or possibly years too do it myself.

So focus Antuzzi.. Put all your energy and money into getting it running and back on the road. Stop blowing money on other "goodies" when you hit up the auto parts store, and you'll get there.
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I dont plan the whole project from the start. I do it bit by bit, making small little goals at a time and trying to stay busy on it till that specific goal is done. Then after your feeling of accomplishment, move on to the next. Sometimes total takes a few years, but you get a bunch of gratification along the way as you complete each goal at a time. Its now my full time goal to stop this tranny from leaking, lol. Im determined Im going to stop it even if it takes welding the pan on permanently.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I have been working on my car for 6 years. Its never going to get done.
bowrapennocks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bowrapennocksDirect Link to This Post
It can be quite overwhelming at times. It took me about a year to complete my t-top coupe. All I did was put one foot in front of the other not thinking about all the work required...in the end I did a complete rebuild all new hoses, seals, belts, weatherstrips, brakes, clutch, engine upgrade, new transmission, interior and paint. Last year I drove it to the Jet City Fieros picnic (Arlington WA) half painted, missing body panels and with no interior. But I was driving it. You can get there. Just take it one step at a time and don't rip everything apart at once. I have a great set of tools, and an unheated garage, but no other great toys.
Jim

------------------

87 T-top 2.8 5sp Camaro Dash Bonneville door panels; 86 355 body & interior kits 3.1 Auto; 85 SE 2.5 5sp, 86 SE 2.8 auto parts car

ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
dude i have a fresh 3800sc to install. i have no clue what i am doing. its going to be fun... lol. this weekend i have to install it...

hey pm me on those scoops u have they do not match whodeanie's car... lol
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I have been working on my car for 6 years. Its never going to get done.

Ditto... (I do hope to drive it soon though...)

Charlie

87antuzzi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
I got the mecham side scoops. I like em.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock