Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  I might be selling/junking my fiero =(...... (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I might be selling/junking my fiero =(...... by faalvino
Started on: 02-12-2010 04:02 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: faalvino on 06-18-2010 06:57 PM
faalvino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I have come to a sad situation with my fiero. Based on the last turnout of events with her I might have to junk or sell it for cheap. A quick recap on whats been going wrong with it is: When starting the car it stalls in neutral when I release the clutch(not moving, trying to let it idle). second no matter how many rpms I give it and release the clutch she dosnt go any farther then inches and last first gear is hard to get into and last is impossible(this being the last of my worries). Now I have only owned my fiero for 3 months and the previous owner honestly had no idea this was happening( it wasnt her car it was her husbands who passed away some time ago and shes been trying to sell it). So now im a college student and personally love this car, but i have talked to mechanics and they have gave me estimates around $3500 to fix it. I cannot even get it to a shop for diagnoses without paying for a tow(somewhere near $100). I am kinda running out of ideas to do, i am not going to be able to afford the price this guy gave me for atleast another yr and even so with $3500 i can buy a different car(maybe another fiero in the future). But as i said i love this car and dont know whether i should tough it out and hope ti fix her or jumk/ sell her. I am running out of options and could use some help or advice.
Thank you
Sincerely, Frankie

Jason is working on it and pics should be eventually =)

------------------

1987 5spd Fiero GT under construction

[This message has been edited by faalvino (edited 03-16-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
I think looking into some of the mechanics here on the forum may be a less expensive repair option.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
If you sell it what are you looking to get for it?
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
What's that yellow car behind the Fiero?

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 02-12-2010).]

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
pk you have too many projects as it is It looks like a gold notchie behind the silver fastback, and i would ask about here for help with it. The problem sounds like a clutch issue possibly a bad throwout bearing or bent clutch forks the mechanics you talked too just didn't want the job so they quoted high. I Had a local transmission shop replace my clutch slave, master, clutch resurface the flywheel and put a new cable bracket on for 900.00 thats including parts.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 02-12-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

pk you have too many projects as it is It looks like a gold notchie behind the silver fastback, and i would ask about here for help with it. The problem sounds like a clutch issue possibly a bad throwout bearing or bent clutch forks the mechanics you talked too just didn't want the job so they quoted high. I Had a local transmission shop replace my clutch slave, master, clutch resurface the flywheel and put a new cable bracket on for 900.00 thats including parts.

Hell whats one more

But if you do keep it it deffenetley does sound like a T/O bearing problem.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDDirect Link to This Post
sounds like the trans is stuck in 2 gears. If the car will not roll at all with it in nutral, or with the clutch down, It's in 2 gears. worn out trans/shift forks.
faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
First the other two cars next to mine are a tan 84 fiero and a white 87GT both under 70xxx miles
second i would try to get it to mechanics on this forum but i cant drive it, id have to have it towed to new jersey or Syracuse...idk if there any others closer then that. lastly idk how much id sell it for being that it cant really be drove like 500 or something idk.....not considering that yet tho, i still want to save her.
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
If you lived near indianapolis I would tear it apart, find the problems, let you know how much the parts cost, and do the work for live $600 labor. Just because I don't want to see another fastback get parted out.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

If you lived near indianapolis I would tear it apart, find the problems, let you know how much the parts cost, and do the work for live $600 labor. Just because I don't want to see another fastback get parted out.

If i got a hold of it i would fix it.
Fierotech

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post
Clutch replacement including a new clutch here at The Fiero Factory is $600. Throw it on an auto transport and we'll take care of it.

Seriously, though...from your description, it could be an internal transmission issue, which would make it more expensive by the cost of the transmission, but I can't imagine how I could possibly find $3500 worth of stuff to charge you for to fix your car. Definitely run away from that quote.

There is bound to be someone in your area on the forum that can either help you out or refer you to someone in your area.

Good luck, and definitely don't scrap it. I, and several others here, would give you several times scrap price for it. You scrap it, it gets crushed, and none of those (no longer available anywhere but used) parts are any good, and there's one less Fiero in the world.

Take care--

Jeremy B.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
If you sell let me know but as far as the trans have you checked your shiftr cables? It's either that maybe your clutchh linkage(if there is such a thing) if your good at working on them drop the cradle pull the motor and trans appart and take A look!
faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
See i would do all the work myself or at least try to but i am in college and have neither the time nor the tools to do such a thing...Ok so the mechanic saying $3500 is over pricing, thanks for telling me this and im still looking for other mechanics, its just those in my area are "afraid" to work on fieros(all those who are really close). Is there anyone on this forum who is a mechanic in the Oneonta Delhi area? atleast maybe i can talk to someone in person if there is....I go to college at suny oneonta. I live in between middletown ny and kingston ny(ulster county) thats were the car is....
thanks again - Frankie

P.S I want to have my fiero fixed so I can go to the Watkins glen fiero meet in april so I can meet some of you guys =)
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
If you can get it to me, Hardpact and I would be more than happy to help you out. -Jason
Macs86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Hell whats one more

But if you do keep it it deffenetley does sound like a T/O bearing problem.

rofl if i was closer i would consider it, but i think its fixable
faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2010 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

If you can get it to me, Hardpact and I would be more than happy to help you out. -Jason

Honestly, I would be willing to get it to you guys but how much would something like that cost me to get to you?
and how much do you think you guys will need?
I am open all suggestions.

[This message has been edited by faalvino (edited 02-12-2010).]

jokerb90

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jokerb90Send a Private Message to jokerb90Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by faalvino:

Honestly, I would be willing to get it to you guys but how much would something like that cost me to get to you?
and how much do you think you guys will need?
I am open all suggestions.

you could try Uship for transport quotes -- Uship is like Ebay in reverse -- tell them what you need moved, and shippers fight for your business. You might be surprised how cheap it can get, I had my non running Fiero shipped from over 2 hours away for $99 bucks. Actually felt kind bad about it, and gave a good tip. Just another option....good luck
faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
wow that sounds great. Ill check it out and see what kind of transportation i can get. If i get a reasonable price etc ill let you know jason if thats ok? just let me know what kind of money you will need and so on for a job like this. Ill get back asap
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I agree with everyone else it does sound like a clutch or trans issue. I just need to get a good look at it for a proper analysis. I would rather discuss price in by PM or on the phone but, the others that quoted aren't that far off.....I assure you I won't be anywhere near $3500. Heck, I don't think an l67 swap would cost that much.... Lets figure out how to get it here and we'll get it fixed. I also have plenty of references if you need them. -Jason

PS: Your only 210 miles away.... I might be able to get a trailer to come and get it, if you wanted to pay for fuel... We might be able to make this happen!

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 02-13-2010).]

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

I agree with everyone else it does sound like a clutch or trans issue. I just need to get a good look at it for a proper analysis. I would rather discuss price in by PM or on the phone but, the others that quoted aren't that far off.....I assure you I won't be anywhere near $3500. Heck, I don't think an l67 swap would cost that much.... Lets figure out how to get it here and we'll get it fixed. I also have plenty of references if you need them. -Jason

PS: Your only 210 miles away.... I might be able to get a trailer to come and get it, if you wanted to pay for fuel... We might be able to make this happen!

Wow that sounds great Jason....ummm ill PM you as soon as i can and we can work some of this out...
-Frankie
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2010 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Frankie, PM sent let me know what you think. -Jason
PFF
System Bot
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post
Oneonta area? Hell, I'm 15 minutes outside of Oneonta in Franklin. Hell, if I'd known you were in Oneonta......

I'm 75 miles from E'ville. If you're free, we might be able to go take a look at it tomorrow. Matter of fact.... how bad are the hills in that stretch of road? Are there any really nasty mountains through there? If not, we might be able to get your car to Oneonta tomorrow.

Frankie, I know Jason and Hardpact both and I can attest to their honesty and mechanical prowess. Give me a call tomorrow at (518) 915-0630 and I'll be able to tell you if my wife will let me go, hehe!

[This message has been edited by Brocephus (edited 02-14-2010).]

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brocephus:

Oneonta area? Hell, I'm 15 minutes outside of Oneonta in Franklin. Hell, if I'd known you were in Oneonta......

I'm 75 miles from E'ville. If you're free, we might be able to go take a look at it tomorrow. Matter of fact.... how bad are the hills in that stretch of road? Are there any really nasty mountains through there? If not, we might be able to get your car to Oneonta tomorrow.

Frankie, I know Jason and Hardpact both and I can attest to their honesty and mechanical prowess. Give me a call tomorrow at (518) 915-0630 and I'll be able to tell you if my wife will let me go, hehe!

sounds great, ill give you a call some time tomorrow morning or so....will see what can happen =)
thanks - Frankie

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
you guys are awesome to help someone out like that! you all get a good bump from me!
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2010 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

you guys are awesome to help someone out like that! you all get a good bump from me!

I'm not helping out because I'm awesome, I'm helping him because I want him to be at the Watkins Glen track day so I can pass more than just AC and Hardpact, RAWR!!!
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
UPDATE: I went and picked up Frankie's car today, I'll tell ya, 420 miles didn't seem that far on paper . It's now tucked snugley in my garage patiently waiting for repairs...this one won't be junked or sold (or charged excessivly for the repair ). I'l update with pics when I can get a free chance to get it apart. Plus, it's still cold outside I'm not a big fan of working in cold weather. -Jason
Hardpact

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HardpactSend a Private Message to HardpactDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brocephus:

I'm not helping out because I'm awesome, I'm helping him because I want him to be at the Watkins Glen track day so I can pass more than just AC and Hardpact, RAWR!!!

bring it!!!!

------------------

BLUE BY YOU!
NYFOC

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
It'll be interesting to see what the problem is. My first thought was that it's either badly adjusted shift/select cables, or as has already been mentioned an internal problem with the tranny.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^
Me too, I am very curious to see the problem it riddle the hell out of me lol. Ill have some pics of the pick up soon, it's just hard to be online when I am not in college...
-Frankie

P.S jason is a knowledgeable individual lol
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Any chance your shift linkage cables are out of adjustment and the problem is that your trying to start moving your car in 3rd gear instead of 1st?
Brocephus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrocephusSend a Private Message to BrocephusDirect Link to This Post

P.S jason is a knowledgeable individual lol

You got that right.....

My car started stumbling like crazy at my first Watkins Glen event and I had no idea where to start looking for possible causes. Jason mentioned that I should replace the fuel filter, especially since we had all met up in a Wal-Mart parking lot. He even walked in with me and once outside with the new filter, he replaced it for me.

This is what we found in my old filter....

Jason knows his stuff. You're in good hands Frankie. See you at Watkins Glen.
PFF
System Bot
faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
sorry i have not replied in awhile, there was a snow storm and we got over 3ft. My house still has no power or anything so i couldnt post. I am now back in college and ill be on the site all the time =)

[This message has been edited by faalvino (edited 02-28-2010).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Small update:
It warmed up a little today so I ventured out into the garage today to get a quick look at Frankies' car. I had a sneaking suspicion (sp?) that there was maybe an internal trans issue.. So I jacked up the rear end to run it off the ground (no pics srry) and yes, I did chock the front wheels. After pushing in the clutch and starting it, I slipped the shifter into neutral and let the clutch out. I'll be damned if the wheels didn't move....I pressed in the clutch and the wheels stopped (remember, it's in Neutral). So I shifted into reverse..the wheels turned backwards when I let the clutch out. And they kept moving in every gear I tried, until the clutch was pushed in (like normal). I'm thinking that the trans has some type of internal issue. I have had plenty of Getrags apart to rebuild, but I can't think of anything that would allow the trans to operate in N. It looks like I'm going to have to pull it apart to investigate.. -Jason
faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
....hmmmm I have no idea as well lol. Sounds like something interesting though. Good luck

[This message has been edited by faalvino (edited 03-01-2010).]

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2010 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
Finally i have been able to get the photos of the pick up...here are 3 of them.

It was a good day and shortly after the following tuesday there was a blizzard so it was good we did it the sunday before.

[This message has been edited by faalvino (edited 03-03-2010).]

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
Any news jason?

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT 5 speed

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Any news jason?

Not yet, I have started taking stuff apart, got the decklid off, everything except fuel and a/c on top, but I don't have pics yet...it's slow going right now, because work has picked up. Hope to have an update and pics for you this weekend.-Jason

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^
Sounds good, take your time.
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Well here's an update, this will actually be the second time I did this as the first revision got lost in the interwebs! What a PITA!

So I got the engine out, no major issues with the exception of the front right cradle bolt..it fought me the whole way.

Got the trans off, but now things aren't looking, or smelling that good. (I can't stand the smell of burnt clutch)

Just look at all that clutch material in the bell housing. Quick, grab a razor that trans is so hairy it needs a shave.

This thing is just plain worn out!

Now, look at how thin this clutch disc is. I don't know if the PO did this, or if Frankie just can't drive a stick

The pressure plate was so bad, just look at those hotspots. Not only that, it actually had a bevel to it.

The flywheel was whipped too...it was so worn that it had a ridge cut into it.

There was no way I could reuse it...so I found a known good one with only a couple of hundred mile on it, and I stuck it on..it sucked because I'd rather have had it turned, but time is against me.

New clutch, pressure plate, and lightly used flywheel installed.

If you've kept up with this you know that the trans is toast (recap-NO OIL) so I provided one from my secret parts stash.
A little clean up and it looked pretty good (couldnt' get too crazy with it)

All cozy in it's new home

One thing that I noticed when reinstalling the trans was that the heat covering for the egr tube was ripped. So I wanted to fix that while I was there. When checking it out I found that the tube (as usual) was cracked.

So I took a walk to my parts department and couldn't find a good usable one, so I just repaired this one.

Then I wrapped it in header wrap just to keep the heat in..

Reinstalled the exhaust and heatshields, rebolted to the cradle. And it's ready to reinstall.

Stay tuned for the final installation (pun intended) -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 03-21-2010).]

faalvino

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faalvinoSend a Private Message to faalvinoDirect Link to This Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
looks great!!!! and about the comment on my driving ability's I only really got to drive this car for about a day before this happened, no chance I'm that bad at stick (or am I????) lol
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock