Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Intake alternatives besides Truleo (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Intake alternatives besides Truleo by fyrebird68
Started on: 02-10-2010 08:35 PM
Replies: 57
Last post by: Blacktree on 07-30-2010 10:35 PM
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

I take it from your question that you are looking for a cheaper but equal option and from my research there isn't one. If I was doing it for the first time today, I'd be emailing Francis T. While I don't like the look of the barrel, he does have the best alternative and a properly designed product.

Arn

It's not about the cost, I'm just not crazy about the look. I asked the question because I figured that there's a bunch of GM 3.4s out there, and I imagine GM would have done some intake designs that were proven and plentiful. Looks like the big differentiator is DIS, and that fact the the 3.4 was not viewed as a performance engine by GM so there were no "performance" designs form the factory.

Anyway, my question did shake a bunch of out-of-the-box ideas loose!

:edit: I guess I could fabricate a shroud like on the caddys and GTOs....
------------------
Bob T.

[This message has been edited by fyrebird68 (edited 02-16-2010).]

IP: Logged
MountainHiBlue87GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
WCF offers this: http://www.westcoastfiero.c...ake_manifold_60.html

When you polish it, it looks great. Seems to work well.

Regards,

David
Four_hundred_86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Four_hundred_86Send a Private Message to Four_hundred_86Direct Link to This Post
One of the guys in our local club has a 3.4 pr with the camero intake. Looks killer but he had to modify the whole thing to mount it up backwards said it wasn't worth the headache.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I've seen carb intakes on V8s modified for MPFI. Put the injectors in the intake runners and then mount a 4 barrel throttle body where the carb was. I wonder if that would be feasible with an Edelbrock intake? I guess the trick would be finding the right throttle body to use. You should be able to keep all the same electronics, I would think.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

I've seen carb intakes on V8s modified for MPFI. Put the injectors in the intake runners and then mount a 4 barrel throttle body where the carb was. I wonder if that would be feasible with an Edelbrock intake? I guess the trick would be finding the right throttle body to use. You should be able to keep all the same electronics, I would think.

I have honestly never heard of a 4 barrel TB for Fuel Injection. Can you provide more info on this?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
You can put a throttle body on any carb intake.

The problem is the cfm rate for the throttle body. The 390 cfm carb is really border line for the 2.8 but works better on the 3.4.

I had to do mods to the 390 to make it work right on the 2.8. A throttle body often runs at 1000 cfm. I don't know how you'd mod it down for 1/2 it's capacity.

Besides, a throttle body on top of the Edelbrock intake, with an air cleaner is going to be tall for the engine compartment height.

Arn
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post

[B]

I was thinking of trying to make this myself out of an extra intake. Anybody else ever try to make one?
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MountainHiBlue87GT:

When you polish it, it looks great. Seems to work well.

Regards,

David

The thing I question about the Westcoast intake is the runner size. They end up with the stock Fiero runners and I am not sold on the idea that those stock runners, even ported, can reach 340 cfm.

Arn

unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
That's why I like this look. Huge body, adding a mandrel bent neck to the throttle body and position it to where the stock one is, "using the fiero stock throttle body or a bored out one" clearing the distributor but instead of fiero runners, adding runners like truleo's down to the manifold will help flow tremendously. The runners curving vertically, I'm thinking to be also curved horizontally to where the air doesn't turn 90°.

[This message has been edited by unboundmo (edited 02-17-2010).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2010 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Holy Sh*T! I love it. Where can I get ahold of one of those? Looks awsome Can it pass the SMOG nazis here is Kalifornia? I can only imagine a creative guy puttiing a turbo on this thing

Cordially,
Kevin
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I remember this one. I think it is a intercooler built in!

That is awesome lol. Any more info on it?
PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vinny:

YES to what? Answers like that are useless.

He was answering the question to whether or not the stock intake can be extrude honed by Extrude Hone. It can be. What's so useless about his answer?
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post

SCCA FIERO

3808 posts
Member since May 99

Originally posted by HausFiero:

That is awesome lol. Any more info on it?

Not really. But it most likely will not be very effective. There's just not enough surface area to make it effective.
yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

is that the fiero intake in that pic?
im assuming that in order to make the supercharger work you would have to make a custom piece to fit between the supercharger and the lower part of the intake manifold there yes?
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yashmack:

is that the fiero intake in that pic?
im assuming that in order to make the supercharger work you would have to make a custom piece to fit between the supercharger and the lower part of the intake manifold there yes?

Yes, and that adapter would be a real bummer to make, for one thing the mating surface needs to have each runner port angled and you'll need to make sure you have bolt access everywhere for both the supercharger and the lower intake, you'll also need to block off all then injector ports there's no way to keep them without making the thing really high to fit the injectors and fuel rail. Actually it would be easier to make unit that would do away completly with the lower intake and connect the SC right to the heads, but even that would take lots of $$$ design work and $$$ CNCing. That GMC 671 style blower would look bad-ass but its just not worth the T&M.
BTW: we could have made you an adapter plate for that bigger TB.

For those that want to try building their own intake from scratch or modifing a stock one here's a few tips and what you need to address:
You need a larger TB neck ID than the stock intake,
Add velocity stacks to the inout end of the runners -adds about 10-15% more flow-
Do away with the tight radius where the upper intake meets the midle section
For scratch built intake; match the runner inlet angles of the ports with that of the lower intake, don't go higher than stock overall unless you're doing a hood bubble or whatever and make sure your design will let you get the injectors and and fuel in place and bolted down.
Tac weld only and keep checking your design on an an engine, be a bummer to weld it all up and find TB neck too close to the distributor etc. Also if you want to retain your stock TB inlet tube - make a jig from your stock intake.
KEEP IT FUNCTIONAL it's just not going to be worth the work and $$ if you keep great looking and it don't flow a lot better than stock, the stock intake don't bad, it just dont flow.
yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
hmmm, maybe a truleo intake wrapped around the S/C with the charger mounted upside down...
would help decrease the height of the whole setup and allow me to keep the lower plenum and injoector/fuel rail intact...
that also sounds like something that i could possibly fab up pretty easy rather than trying to get a whole piece CNCed for the application
im just throwing ideas out and everyone is welcome to use or abuse them
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Here's something that has been circulating in the mall.......

Intakes are modified on the bottom side to increase flow along with a larger throttle body.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/051596.html

Installed:

------------------
Competition Yellow 84 2.5 Bone stock right down to electrical gremlins.
87 328 GTB replica.

[This message has been edited by Joe 1320 (edited 07-30-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I wish there was an ITB intake like the Falconer that allowed the use of stock-style injectors, in roughly the same location.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock