Started on: 01-27-2010 11:59 AM
Replies: 80
Last post by: LZeppelin513 on 07-21-2010 12:15 AM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
...Are these really something anyone would be interested in ???

I recently finished several updates to my 87' GT and after posting about them here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/062564-4.html
Some folks seemed to like my new billet aluminum HVAC push buttons and fan switch knob enough to suggest that I should make more and offer them for sale.

These are replacements for the old dingy plastic buttons, not covers, and installing them requires disassembly of the HVAC head unit, (not difficult, just tedious).
Replacing the fan switch knob also requires drilling a small hole in the plastic behind the face plate to secure the knob with a set screw.

Are these really something anyone would be interested in?
I have no firm idea of any cost yet, as I hadn't even thought about making more...

NOTE:
I made the pictured set with a lighted LED in the fan swith knob. I would NOT offer the knob with the LED as it's a huge pain to make and difficult to wire into the head unit.
The push buttons are also not lighted like the old OEM buttons, (but then I never could see any light from my old ones).

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-27-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Depending on the price i would order 2 sets of them
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
I really like them! If they were not too expensive I would definitely be in for a set. Keep us updated.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2010 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

That makes sense, because you would break one set of them!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

That makes sense, because you would break one set of them!

Lol no no no 2 GT's and they would look good in the both of them.

joesfiero

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joesfieroSend a Private Message to joesfieroDirect Link to This Post

Lol no no no 2 GT's and they would look good in the both of them.

In that case you may want to order 3 sets, or even 4!

-Joe
Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
I WANT these. So classy. Fantastic work and the car you put them in is gorgeous.

------------------
1988 Metallic Red Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252
Modifications:
-"Custom" oxidized paint
-Cat delete
-Shiny freebie shift knob
-Gasoline
-Nice 15" Jetta 5-Spokes
IT'S RARE!!!!

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
How much? Can you make the slider knob to match? And I would want mine with the led hole in it (I'll wire it) . -Jason
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I like them and will/would buy them!

Jscott won't like me doing that , though
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in a set...of course price dependent...if they were $400.00 I wouldn't. Also, did you ever make the Cold/Hot slide button?

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 01-28-2010).]

Marvin McInnis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested ... depending upon price, of course.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-28-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierofreak00:

How much? Can you make the slider knob to match?

What he said. ...Nice!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Nice !

And good inspiration..I have a small lathe so I am thinking now..hmm
Wouldnt it be easier to make covers that fit over the existing knobs ?...Still one-piece parts look and feel much better so thats the right way..
Good luck making and selling them !
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested also. Keep us posted on your decision. They look nice.
Good Luck
Gary
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
In answer to the questions about making the HOT - COLD slider knob out of aluminum:

I did look carefully at that and even tried a couple of ideas, but the slider knob has a special little "U" shaped metal clip inside it that snaps into the hole in the lever arm.
The hole in the arm is positioned *just* out of reach to use a small set screw and I can't figure any way to machine the knob to use the "U" shaped clip...
Additionally, the slider is all mill work and really increases the machine time and would drive the costs way up.
As it is, all the buttons and fan knob are all lathe work, perfect for mass producing them on a CNC machine out of rod stock.
I'll take another look at the slider knob and see what I can do...

Making the buttons as just covers over the plastic ones has a couple of drawbacks:

1. The OEM buttons don't have much space between the button O.D. and the faceplate so the wall thickness of a cover would be super thin.

2. To leave enough metal on the tip of the button to make it durable, would make the buttons notably taller than the OEM buttons and makes the whole HVAC panel look strange, at least to me.

I'm going to talk with a friend that runs a CNC shop and see if he's interested in making me a run of parts and what they will cost.
This will take a little while, and it's not my primary business concern right now, so please be patient.
I appreciate all the interest and I will work on this as my time allows
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. Any chance of a maching switch plate? I'm not sure how the plate is designed so it may require too much machining. Just a thought.
fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post
Id order a set or two, of course, depending on the price. Great looking product, that's for sure. John
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TommyRocker:

Very nice. Any chance of a maching switch plate? I'm not sure how the plate is designed so it may require too much machining. Just a thought.

I assume you're talking about the faceplate...
That would be VERY easy to make, but it would need to be engraved for all the different markings and most importantly, you would lose all the backlighting of the markings.

Speed Hut can make a silver face plate with light up legends or even a "reverse glow" panel in silver. I don't think it would look a lot like aluminum, but it would be silver....just a thought...
You would probably have to purchase the whole Fiero gage face set just to get the HVAC panel though.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Cool, I'd be interested!
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Direct Link to This Post

Same here. Except I only have one child. Could you make a whole set of center console knobs and whatnot? I dont think it would look right if it were just those few.
TommyRocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I meant the face plate. I don't actually own a fiero yet. I'm just a creep stalking PFF. Actually, I'm shopping now and its tax season, so I'm looking at the little things like this. I'm not worried about back lighting honestly, I just memorize the controls and use em without looking. I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it to you to make just one face plate so I could probably just go get it done at the shop I used to work at. Those knobs are definitely an improvement and it looks like you've got lots of interest.
PFF
System Bot
SinCityfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SinCityfieroSend a Private Message to SinCityfieroDirect Link to This Post
hey those look nice they would match my aluminum stereo flush mount.slider knob would be nice
farming for fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for farming for fierosSend a Private Message to farming for fierosDirect Link to This Post
depends on cost but cool idea
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea, and yes, depends on cost.
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
I'd be in for a couple. With the demand, you should be able to get a price on a group buy for pre-production at a reasonable price?

Also, how hard would it be to make a billet slider knob for the temp?

Greg

------------------

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 01-29-2010).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I'd perhaps be interested

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 01-29-2010).]

Oslo

Feedback score:    (53)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OsloClick Here to visit Oslo's HomePageSend a Private Message to OsloDirect Link to This Post
That is a very cool product! I don't think you'd have any trouble selling those.

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-auto.com

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
randye,
Excellent work We are all waiting with great anticipation. It looks so modern....

Cordially,
Kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-29-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Wow!
I'm overwhelmed at the response to this little modification, so I'm going to go ahead and get pricing on having about 25 - 30 sets made up to start with, (more if there's a better price break for quantity)
If anything can be done about the slider knob, I'll certainly include that.

I am NOT taking any pre-orders or any money from anyone until these are ready to ship.

Doing otherwise is an almost certain recipe for disaster as we have seen here on PFF a few times.
I'm investing my own money and time on this, so PLEASE be patient.
I'll provide updates on progress in this thread.
Thanks for everyone's interest and comments.

If Cliff feels like this thread now needs to be moved to the "Mall" section, that's perfectly understandable.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 01-29-2010).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
randye,

Thanks so much again for your follow through. I just had an idea. Has a thought been considered in offering some alternative colored aluminum? How diffiucult would it be to get your peices anodized in either red, blue, yellow, orange, etc.? I beleive some of us would not mind paying a little more for the extra pizzaz this effect would offer. Your thoughts?

Cordially,
Kevin

p.s. is there a notch on the bottom of the push buttoms to let the HVAC gauge light shine through?

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 01-29-2010).]

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Wow!
I'm overwhelmed at the response to this little modification, so I'm going to go ahead and get pricing on having about 25 - 30 sets made up to start with, (more if there's a better price break for quantity)
If anything can be done about the slider knob, I'll certainly include that.

I am NOT taking any pre-orders or any money from anyone until these are ready to ship.

Doing otherwise is an almost certain recipe for disaster as we have seen here on PFF a few times.
I'm investing my own money and time on this, so PLEASE be patient.
I'll provide updates on progress in this thread.
Thanks for everyone's interest and comments.

If Cliff feels like this thread now needs to be moved to the "Mall" section, that's perfectly understandable.

I think these will fly off the shelf with the knob slider. Since a new billet slider is expensive (with R&D), an overlay could be made cheaper to keep the cost down. The key is finding te cheapest quality machine shops to increase ROI. If YOU manufacture everything, the quantities will delay shipment (from the quantaties that I know will be ordered). You definitely found a niche.

Good Luck and GOD speed!

Greg

Good luck
PFF
System Bot
VelociJuris

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VelociJurisSend a Private Message to VelociJurisDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! I agree with the cover working for the temp slide. It could potentially have an open bottom to make simpler.
cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

I think these will fly off the shelf with the knob slider. Since a new billet slider is expensive (with R&D), an overlay could be made cheaper to keep the cost down.

Exactly what I was just thinkin'!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
If you could make a stick on cover for the slide button I would be in!
88Ironduke

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88IrondukeSend a Private Message to 88IrondukeDirect Link to This Post
Is there anything stopping a person from powder coating the bits and pieces to match an interior color scheme? Outstanding product, Pricing available yet?

88Ironduke
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88Ironduke:

Is there anything stopping a person from powder coating the bits and pieces to match an interior color scheme? Outstanding product, Pricing available yet?

88Ironduke

Hey 88ironduke, see my quote above

Cordially,
Kevin

BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Awesome looking item! I would be interested too depending on price. Gotta find a way to do the slider too!

Jason
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
I too wouldn't mind a couple of sets if they are reasonably priced.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

In answer to the questions about making the HOT - COLD slider knob out of aluminum:

Just make a little cup that glues over the existing slider. Maybe take the existing slider and trim it down first such that the cup doesn't end up being overly big.
Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I would be interested in one set.

About the slider knob? Could you just make that one have an aluminum cover? We could just stick it on with double sided sticky tape or glue it on. It is already a lower profile than the other knobs/buttons and I think it would be the one knob you could cover without it getting to big; you could just make it square or a rectangle or round the corners. It would not bother me if it obscured the cold and hot letters as long as it matched the other knobs/buttons.

I did look carefully at that and even tried a couple of ideas, but the slider knob has a special little "U" shaped metal clip inside it that snaps into the hole in the lever arm.
The hole in the arm is positioned *just* out of reach to use a small set screw and I can't figure any way to machine the knob to use the "U" shaped clip...
Additionally, the slider is all mill work and really increases the machine time and would drive the costs way up.
As it is, all the buttons and fan knob are all lathe work, perfect for mass producing them on a CNC machine out of rod stock.
I'll take another look at the slider knob and see what I can do...

Making the buttons as just covers over the plastic ones has a couple of drawbacks:

1. The OEM buttons don't have much space between the button O.D. and the faceplate so the wall thickness of a cover would be super thin.

2. To leave enough metal on the tip of the button to make it durable, would make the buttons notably taller than the OEM buttons and makes the whole HVAC panel look strange, at least to me.

I'm going to talk with a friend that runs a CNC shop and see if he's interested in making me a run of parts and what they will cost.
This will take a little while, and it's not my primary business concern right now, so please be patient.
I appreciate all the interest and I will work on this as my time allows

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock