Rear diffusers by ALLTRBO
Started on: 01-23-2010 04:20 PM
Replies: 85
Last post by: dobey on 08-26-2010 03:47 PM
ALLTRBO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I know there have been some photoshops of Fieros with rear diffusers in the past, but here's my take(s).

Edit: updated to the latest versions (minor tweaks)

With Acura TL tips...

Without reflectors...

With Acura TL tips and without reflectors...

If someone would make this, either as a replacement bumper or as a "cut bumper and install diffuser" piece, I would pay a lot of money for it.
There are of course many more mods and tweaks I could do to this picture, but I don't have time.
Lemme know what you think (good or bad).

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-23-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darksyde

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DarksydeSend a Private Message to DarksydeDirect Link to This Post
That would be my pick. looks nice.

They got some nice ones here but the price's are HUGE.

http://www.gmpperformance.c...?PG=catList&CID=5521

[This message has been edited by Darksyde (edited 01-23-2010).]

psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
I like it! One "tweak" as Madcurl would say though: I would have the black section lower on the top edge so you would have the line flow with the blue section over the contour of the bumper (kinda hard to explain what I mean). Very neat idea though, and a different take than I have seen here. This post may result in some plastic getting cut in my shop!

Edit to add: the top of the black section could be even with the top of the red reflectors.

[This message has been edited by psychosurfer (edited 01-23-2010).]

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree that it does seem a bit tall...

Though, I think it would be better to keep the top of the diffuser level with the rear ground effects. It would flow better I think.

(edited because an "F" isn't a replacement for an "R" ...)

[This message has been edited by skuzzbomer (edited 01-23-2010).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I made it tall on purpose. I wanted to see if it made it look more aggressive, and I think it does. I agree about the top section being slightly lower, I just didn't have time to mod it as such once it was in place.

I also think topping it at the lower ground effects line would look good and flow well, but as I mentioned I wanted to see it high up. I do like it a lot like this, however.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Oh, and anyone can feel free to PS them differently, the more eye candy the better!

BTW, the Acura tips with the reflectors in place is my favorite, also.

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I love the rear diffuser idea, I tried to pitch it to some people who make custom parts here but no success. Then I started to design one and build my own, and I have someone else helping in the build process right now, but it won't be one where the rear bumper has to get cut.

Here are a few pictures:

And how it should sort of look when its done! :

------------------

Check out my build!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Cool, I didn't know you were building one. Doing it that way was my first thought, but I realized that it would be quite low (watch those speed bumps!) and I want it to start further forward and slope out more gradually, if that makes any sense. That requires cutting into the bumper cover and possibly the bumper as well, and might require the bottom half of the trunk to be removed. I might have to do that anyway with my plan for the variable sport/race exhaust.

I do think I'm going to build one, but it won't be as elaborate as my photoshop. That would be sweet, though.

Now, I tried lowering the top to the level of the reflectors and license plate but it didn't look right without re-angling the sides, which I don't feel like doing.
So, I added a small rolled lip to the cut part of the bumper, and also brought the shadow up further, showing that the slope more horizontally extends underneath the car, the first set looks a little flat (vertical).

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
First version, for comparison (I hate scrolling too)...

kyunderdawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post

My vote is for this one. It looks a whole lot cleaner without the reflectors. Very cool idea by the way.

[This message has been edited by kyunderdawg (edited 01-23-2010).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
If you slope down the diffuser from a high point there's a good chance that you'll be cutting into the eggcrate & possibly the lower trunk section. The lower you go, the less obstruction there is. To keep it cheap & simple you could just add a lower section to the GT bumper to span from end to end & surround the exhaust tips.
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I really like your design, but I do have a feeling you'll be into not only chopping up the rear bumper, but cutting through the bottom of the trunk as well.

Mine will be fairly low, but no lower than the cradle in the rear so I'm not too worried. I naturally avoid all speed bumps regardless

I still wish a vendor would make one for the aero bumper though!
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
I already covered that, guys.

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:
That requires cutting into the bumper cover and possibly the bumper as well, and might require the bottom half of the trunk to be removed.

I won't go as far as removing the entire trunk, but I'm willing to scrap the bottom half if required for everything I'm doing. If I can fit two turbos with all of their tons of intercooled plumbing under the hood of my fully optioned V8 Camaro, then I think I can pull all of this off. As I said though, I don't think I'll be doing anything this extreme, most likely something level with the ground effects line.

Amida, if you'll make a sweet rear diffuser any way you think is best, I'll buy it. From what I've seen on here, I'd take your work over any other (not that others are all bad). I know 'you pay for what you get', and I'm willing.

Good point about the cradle, but be careful of dips/steep ramps. Since the diffuser will be outboard of the wheels, they might drop it to the ground. You probably know all this already, just re-iterating I guess.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

ALLTRBO

2023 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I just updated the original post with the newer slightly tweaked versions, since they're more accurate to my imagined design.

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Let me know if you find someone to make those for you. Consider one sold.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
+1

Here's my planned paint scheme (though poorly PS'd, black isn't easy for me, but the lighter blue is). I think this looks mean as hell!

88GT.FASTBACK

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT.FASTBACKSend a Private Message to 88GT.FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by 88GT.FASTBACK (edited 01-24-2010).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALLTRBO:
Amida, if you'll make a sweet rear diffuser any way you think is best, I'll buy it. From what I've seen on here, I'd take your work over any other (not that others are all bad). I know 'you pay for what you get', and I'm willing.

I was considering it a few months ago, but things have really slowed down on this site that it seemed to risky to make the investment. I'll reconsider it if there is a good show of interest. Where are you located?
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I've also noticed that things have slowed down here. However, you could always make a "universal" diffuser that just so happens to fit the fiero as well.

Something like this:

http://media.photobucket.co...iffuser/DSC00001.jpg

------------------

Check out my build!

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 01-24-2010).]

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
88GT.FASTBACK, thanks for the pics! The pic of the F430 is from the same set of pics that I took the original diffuser from to hack up for the PS's above.
I haven't seen that Fiero. That's really sweet. Not exactly the look I'm after, but sweet nonetheless.

Amida, I'm on the opposite side of the country, College Park Maryland.
I understand the reluctance to make something for the Fiero market. That's always a gamble I think.
I think if you made something that was relatively easy to install onto a stock bumper, you'd probably have a lot of interest here. I hear talk of custom rears all the time and this just might be the ticket for most of us. I also like the idea of a 'universal' diffuser for the Fiero, but then it's just a Fiero diffuser that needs adapted to anything else, heh. When it comes to "universal" parts, it's all about marketing them properly I think.

Here's more along the lines of what I am thinking about for reality. Something like this would be easier to integrate, and still looks great, but I'd still want to cut the bumper cover so it could slope in a bit more gradually, and of course that would be a little more functional with the right airflow mods underneath..

However, after perfecting my original design (or I should say "heavily modified F430" design), I REALLY want that one!

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-24-2010).]

SinCityfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SinCityfieroSend a Private Message to SinCityfieroDirect Link to This Post
wow that is awesome, i like the first one more.
PFF
System Bot
sorefeet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sorefeetSend a Private Message to sorefeetDirect Link to This Post
What exactly does a rear diffuser do? I'm assuming it helps with aerodynamics on the exotics, but is there any guarantee that something like this would help a Fiero? Just curious. Also I think they all look cool as hell.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much for looks on the fiero
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive)

They can be functional on a Fiero, but a lot of engineering and testing would need to go into them to make them very efficient. It's harder to do correctly on a mid-engine car to begin with.
I think my design would have an effect with the way I envision it, and that includes a lot more than you can see from the photoshops. Obviously I don't have the R&D capabilities to design a fully functional diffuser, but I wouldn't consider one if I didn't feel that I could make at least a minor performance improvement.

Other than that, yep, they look awesome.

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 01-24-2010).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2010 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
For a diffuser to be fully functional, it needs to be coupled with other aero pieces like a functional under tray and front splitter.

------------------

Check out my build!

88GT.FASTBACK

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2010 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GT.FASTBACKSend a Private Message to 88GT.FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
^ That's a nice basic overview, but take anything a vendor has to say about their products with a grain of salt.

Bump. I haven't been able to get this obsession out of my head. If I really do sell my twin-turbo Camaro and AWD Talon, I'm going 'full supercar' on this Fiero, functional splitter, undertrays, and that ^ full diffuser included.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Killer idea!!! You sir, must be a mind reader, the look of your idea is practically the same as I wanna go, when I get a chance too, and a Fiero again, lol....... Any chance you could photoshop up a notchie rear end, as close to the first pic??

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2010 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Cool.

If you can get me a pic of a notchie from the exact same angle as the fastback above, I can do it relatively quickly now. However, it won't be until at least next weekend, and if I'm not feeling up to working on the truck, again. :/

I have to put in some impossible overtime this week at work, lots of meds ahead!...
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
http://holmart.com.au/online/prod311.htm
I do see these outside smash repair places as plenty of commodores have difussers.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
As posted in pavo-roddy's other thread...

I had to change it up to look right on the notchie, the fastback version didn't flow at all with the squareness of the notchie, though the fastback version looks perfect on the fastback, IMO.

It's not perfect, but what can you expect from a guy that should have been asleep 4 hours ago? Without further ado...

PFF
System Bot
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
Wow, notchback killed the fastback star?

(Yeah I know, that was bad.)
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaDirect Link to This Post
I have a Formula, coupe type bumper, so if/when I ever get to it I might try doing something like this. Not a full replacement but more as an add-on.

kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post

Wow is this really available? and how does it look like installed on a Fiero?

Originally posted by doublec4:

I've also noticed that things have slowed down here. However, you could always make a "universal" diffuser that just so happens to fit the fiero as well.

Something like this:

http://media.photobucket.co...iffuser/DSC00001.jpg

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
That universal piece is available somewhere... I don't know where though. I just found the picture on google images searching for universal diffuser.
ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

I have a Formula, coupe type bumper, so if/when I ever get to it I might try doing something like this. Not a full replacement but more as an add-on.

I can dig it, with a few changes. Could there be an aero bumper version as well?

Anyone else? With enough interest...

------------------
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - For Sale (maybe)
(And too many more!)
There's no replacement for turbo placement

[This message has been edited by ALLTRBO (edited 02-07-2010).]

Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Talk to Norm...he built mine. He could probably do it if there was enough intrest.

ALLTRBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALLTRBOSend a Private Message to ALLTRBODirect Link to This Post
That's not a bad idea, if Amida doesn't do it. Thanks.

I'm hell-bent on making this stupid 80's GM car into a legitimate high performance '88 sports-car that'll compete with, and beat, any new sports car (without the nice ride and overall refinement, but with the reliability).

I've definitely got the Fiero sickness bad. I must have this diffuser, and functional with underbody channels to match.

------------------
'88 Fiero GT - coming soon! - Project MIDTRBO
'90 Camaro IROC-Z twin-turbo - For Sale (maybe)
(And too many more!)
There's no replacement for turbo placement

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I feel the same way man. I'm in too deep with my car to turn back. Now I MUST have a diffuser too. I really want one. I have a yellow fast back. Can anyone photoshop a pic of the blue car above in yellow?
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2010 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
I want a diffuser so far best i have seen is on a new R8 commodore i saw today looked awesome cant find a pic of it online all are different. But what have you fitted here at pennocks? I know i can get one for around $400 for a EVO or WRX carbon fiber but i don't mind fibreglass depending on shape and mount of work required to fit. I would prefer one that chops up some bumper bar as the photoshops look great. Anyway bump and keep up this good thread.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock