Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Build thread - 86 Bumperpad Duke to 210HP 87GT Fastback 3.4l V6/Getrag Conversion (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Build thread - 86 Bumperpad Duke to 210HP 87GT Fastback 3.4l V6/Getrag Conversion by MadDanceSkillz
Started on: 01-16-2010 11:08 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: qwikgta on 06-12-2010 12:14 AM
MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Well, as many of you know, I wrecked my car. But it's okay, because this one will be twice as awesome once it's done.

The recipe is as follows...

1. Wrecked 86GT with 3.4l V6/4spd. Dyno'd at 210 HP.
2. Piece of crap 86 Bumperpad coupe with solid frame
3. 87GT parts car with a Getrag 5spd

The final car will be: EDIT...Plans have changed. Plans updated.

Built on the 86 Bumperpad frame, but don't let that fool you...the car will sport a fastback and front bumper conversion, round molding, a 210HP3.4l V6 with a Getrag 5spd, a brand new GM Forest Green paint job along with 88 Gold Honeycomb wheels, all aluminum cradle mounts, all poly suspension, sway bars, a totally restored interior with a new paint scheme and leather seats, a double DIN head unit with built in carputer to use Dodgerunner's ALDL cable, providing real-time car stats on a 7 inch touchscreen running Windows CE in carputer mode, and one bolt from every Fiero I've ever owned!

The job is already maybe 2/5 done. We're shooting for Next weekend finish date (Minus the paint).

Here are some "Before" pics. Soon you'll see "After" pics, I hope! I'll also post pics of the progress as we make it and I have time.

------------------
86GT Modded 3.4l Pushrod V6 with Trueleo

PM Me if you need:
Lebaron Brake Swap Brackets
38004.9l Motor/Transmission Mounts
Fiero Rotor Hubs for Brake Swaps
Or any other custom fabricated parts! My prices are very low.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 02-21-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
... I will be watching this.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
This isn't going to be a build that never gets finished, either. I don't have a car that's completely mine until this is done, so it's getting worked on 8 hours a day every day I have free. I just finished the arrangements for the paint a few minutes ago. After the build is done he'll need it for 4 or 5 days to paint it. I won't disclose my plans for the paint until I have a picture of the finished project.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
210whp has to be some type of record for a fiero 60 degree.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Not really. It did start out as a 160hp engine. Once you dump the stock intake and exhaust, it get's a lot easier to get airflow.

But short of turbocharging, you can't really make much more power. Of course, with the 4speed's gearing, it'll run.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2010 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
It's a 3.4l, not a 2.8l. Haha

The stats are almost identical to a N/A 3800, but with slightly more TQ

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 01-17-2010).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Going to work on it again all day today.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
good luck on the work today!! take some pictures!!!
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IVANNATINKLE:

good luck on the work today!! take some pictures!!!

Agreed. Pics or it didn't happen.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2010 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
I've been taking pics along the way, just haven't had a good time to upload them yet. Coming soon!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
done yet?
PFF
System Bot
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
A Fiero done? Hahahahahaha

Has that ever actually happened before?

In all seriousness, it is more than halfway done now. The transmission is getting rebuilt now, and once that is done the drivetrain is going in. The fastback swap is more than halfway completed as well.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The stock 160HP figure is measured at the flywheel. Probably gives 120-130 RWHP on the dyno. To get to 210 rwhp you'd have to run nitous, boost or have a ton of expensive modifications. A claim of 210 whp is 70-80 horsepower over stock. That is really significant.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
That's what the shop told me. When I got it it was running pig rich so I had it dyno tuned. Maybe they did some math and gave me the flywheel figure? Whatever the case may be, it is significantly faster than my 4.9l auto was...but that's due in part to the fact that it's a manual transmission.

I will be getting it tuned again after a 7730 ECM swap at Sinister Performance sometime in the Spring, so I should get a good to-the-wheel figure at that point. If I had to estimate it myself without any knowledge about the drivetrain whatsoever, I would have said an even 200HP. Like I said before, it is moderately faster than my ~195HP/290 ft/lb TQ 4.9l V8 auto swap is.

The engine has a LOT of performance modification and is tuned to take advantage of high octane fuel.

It has a Trueleo intake, roller rockers, bigger injectors, yada yada yada. I did a fair amount of work to it in the few weeks I had it in a car.

I intend to keep this a build thread. I do not want to start a flamewar with a bunch of 3800 (Or anything else for that matter) fanboys. I was given the 210HP figure by the shop that tuned the car. Take it for what it is and nothing else, and please keep your comments related to the topic at hand. I will post a dyno sheet when I have one and that will end the debate. There's no point in bickering over it until then.

Onto things that are actually important...

Pictures. I'm taking lots of pictures. I just haven't had the opportunity to put them onto my computer and upload them yet as my camera has died. Updates as they come...the project is stuck right now as we are waiting for my Getrag rebuild to be finished. Once that is done, drivetrain goes in, fastback bolts on, car is drivable. I'm getting tires sometime on Monday, and an alignment whenever the car starts moving. After that it will be painted, and the car will be "done".

------------------

PM Me if you need:
Lebaron Brake Swap Brackets
38004.9l Motor/Transmission Mounts
Or any other custom fabricated parts! My prices are very low.

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 01-23-2010).]

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
done yet.. how about now?
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
I've forgotten to put pics up! Aiming for this weekend in terms of mechanically/body done. Paint will take another 5 days or so.
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys, my name is bobby and I'm actually the guy doing the bulk of the work for daivds car. He has been a huge help and i've got him running all over the state picking up parts. The interior has been redesigned and is almost complete, and the strereo system is done. Fastback swap is half way complete and is alot easier than what I expected (first time I've done this). The engine swap is as simple as it could possibly be. I tore into the motor a little bit yesterday and discovered a comp cams performance cam and a 1.6 roller rocker set. This has to be the cleanest engine I have ever seen! OMG it was like it was assembled yesterday and never run! It has a performance intake (not just a cold air intake, it's an upper and lower manifold set) and exhaust so I have no doubt that this engine can make the hp numbers that david claims. I wouldn't doubt it for a second. I'm looking forward to daivd getting all of those pictures up!
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

thank you for saying what i only wish i could have!
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2010 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Alright, here come some pics.

Bobby, I figured out it is actually a Crane 272 cam, not a Comp cams...cam. Thanks for all your help! Bobby's a great guy that knows his stuff, and all the mods I/him are doing would take months if I was doing it alone instead of weeks doing it together.

It might take a while to get these up because I have satellite internet connection and it does not agree well with photo bucket. Maybe I should try PIP...

Also, refer to

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106234.html

for discussion about my drivetrain's power capabilities. After a few answers in that thread and some research 210HP is very reasonable with my mods. It's been done multiple times before with almost identical setups.

Never mind on PIP. It's throwing a runtime error and I don't feel like tearing into the code right now.

Before any modification. It's just an 86 bumperpad coupe.

It's so ugly...not for long!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still mostly a bumperpad coupe...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The old drivetrain in the car...

And here's the one going in, only with a fully rebuilt 5spd Getrag with a new clutch instead of a Muncie 4spd!

Notchback off...

Fastback being put on

Interior "Before" picture

[This message has been edited by MadDanceSkillz (edited 02-03-2010).]

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2010 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Ran into a snag...we don't have the firewal side transmission mount bracket. Anyone have the firewall side transmission mount bracket from a pre-88 Getrag?
PFF
System Bot
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE:

The car is running and drivable, and the fastback is on.

Here are some pics.

In the garage

It's in.

Close up of the engine

Interior shot...it looks a lot better now but I haven't taken a more recent pic than this

One HID headlight installed, the other yet to be done

Brake swap!

The picture speaks for itself

But it's still a bumperpad. Not for long...

------------------
1972 Honda CB350 Motorcycle

PM Me if you need:
Interior/Exterior Parts
Stock Switches/Bezels
Gauge Clusters
Body Panels
Or custom fabricated parts! My prices are very low.

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I just took the car for a test drive, aside from the fact that it BADLY needs an alignment, it is very very fast. The intake sounds amazing and the power curve is strong and smooth. Looking forward to driving it again when all the bugs are worked out.
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2010 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Ooks geat I hope yo shelled out the coin for new ball joints bushings and some coilovers while it was all out
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2010 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Not everyone has the money for coilovers.

The ball joints are sound, so I didn't replace them.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Progress continues. I now have 4 nice 88 gold honeycombs and some nice tires courtesy of Jeffreysuko, a tire shop, and even more money. This picture was taken when AAA was hauling it off to an alignment shop. I'm getting the wheel bearings and alignment done for 100 cash. The alignment was apparently so bad the car could not be safely driven anything more than around the block...at least it's running and driving. Any speed above 10 or 15 MPH is very risky. An experienced driver put it into a front yard going 15MPH. Given, it was wet and a little snowy, but still...that's bad.

The alignment concerns me. From what Bobby (Fieroguy123) said, it sounds like it's bad enough that it could be something else like a bent tie rod or something.

The alignment was bad to begin with and we upped the tire and wheel size...could the alignment just be THAT bad?

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2010 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
We heard from the alignment shop today, apparently the dumba#$ that david bought the car from winched it up onto the trailer in a foot of snow via connecting a chain to the drivers side tie rod. Guess it was bent pretty bad. That explains why the car scared the s%^t out of me when i drove it. Should be back here on wednesday to finish it up. Then onto the paint shop!
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this! The car is very very close to done now.

There are only three things left on the to-do list.

1. GT Front bumper put on (I have it in my garage, just haven't done it yet)
2. Paint. This is getting done March 25-April 5th while I am in Florida. The appointment has been made. It will be painted non-metallic GM Forest Green with gold flake in the clear. I admit I stole this idea from Fieroguy123 (The gold flake in the clear part). I could just have it mixed into the base, but by having it mixed into the clear instead, I get many more clearcoats for free.
3. 7730 swap. This is a non-priority item since the car runs very well as-is, but my ECM has a couple annoying issues and has problems finding idle when cold.

Here's the mod writeup.

Start - 86 bumperpad coupe and a hodgepodge of parts from an 87GT, my wrecked 86GT, an 86 parts car, and parts I had on the shelf.

Drivetrain mods
---
2.5l L4 swapped to rebuilt 3.4l V6 with heavy modifications/goodies
Muncie 4spd swapped to completely rebuilt Getrag 282
New Clutch, throwout bearing, etc
Various gaskets/etc replaced
Water pump replaced
88 V6 Alternator swap (CS Conversion)
Functional cold air intake
Lots of small stuff I'm forgetting. Want to chime in, Bobby?

Interior mods
---
Everything either cleaned and painted, color scheme changed to black and tan
Double Din touchscreen Pioner AVIC-F90BT installed
Alpine 5x7 Speaker installed in the dash
Alpine 4x6 speakers installed in pillars
800 watt JL Audio 8" subwoofer installed in passenger floorboard; Powered by 800 watt Pioneer amp (Yes, it's tuned way down. Classic rock doesn't sound too good with ridiculous bass)
GT gauge cluster installed
2 aftermarket autometer gauges installed along driver side A pillar; Water temp (Because Fiero temp gauges don't work!) and detailed volt meter.
SE 3 spoke steering wheel installed (GT wheel coming soon)
NOS tan map pocket installed
And again, lots of little stuff I'm forgetting

Exterior mods
---
Fastback swap
88 GT Gold wheels installed
GT rear bumper installed, GT front bumper is being installed tomorrow.
HID headlights with halogen bulbs installed as well so I can switch back and forth by flipping a switch
Power equipped doors coming soon (Before paint, obviously)
GT wing installed
Rounded molding coming soon
Rocker panels coming soon (Before paint)

Suspension modification
---
Every rubber suspension bushing replaced with poly along with tie rods/sway bar end links/etc. Aluminum cradle bushings as well.
New performance shocks and struts
Eibach lowering springs at all 4 corners
New ball joints installed
New tie rods and tie rod ends installed
New steering dampener/steering stabilizer installed
Several suspension problems fixed
Rear swaybar
Various bolts/etc replaced.

Impressions
---
The car may be 4 different colors, but it is very fast, gets over 30MPG with a non-functioning EGR and a rich tune, and handles better than any car I have ever ridden in. I am completely satisfied and I think I, Fieroguy123, and Fastback 86 (The PO who did much of the engine mods) have built a very, very nice daily driver. Maybe someday I will have a weekend car with another V8, but I think I'll get many years of enjoyment out of my "new" car. No, it's not the fastest Fiero ever, and no, it won't be the nicest looking (Although it'll be close ), but I'll have less than 5k in it and the car has been almost completely rebuilt in every respect. I'm nothing less than ecstatic at the prospect of finally getting this car as close to done as a Fiero can ever be. When I come back on April 5 from Florida, it will be complete.

------------------
1972 Honda CB350 Motorcycle

PM Me if you need:
Interior/Exterior Parts
Stock Switches/Bezels
Gauge Clusters
Body Panels
Or custom fabricated parts! My prices are very low.

MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
The car is at the painter's, the paint is ordered, and it will soon be worthy of looking at.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Here it is! Not sanded and buffed yet, and some trim and body stuff has not yet been installed, but it's very, very close.

Hard to see here, but it has green pearl mixed into the striped and green flake in the base/clear. It has a very bright sheen in the sun, but it still needs wetsanded, buffed, and waxed.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2010 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

Here it is! Not sanded and buffed yet, and some trim and body stuff has not yet been installed, but it's very, very close.

Hard to see here, but it has green pearl mixed into the striped and green flake in the base/clear. It has a very bright sheen in the sun, but it still needs wetsanded, buffed, and waxed.

Is that green i see. You know its not easy being green

Welcome to my world. lookin good.

PFF
System Bot
Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2010 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
awww, did you have to go fastback? sorry, i just love the notchies.. But who cares what i think... lol.. It looks really kickass.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the fastbacks are just so awesome. I'd like to have a notchie too, though.
Steven_Kreg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post
Other than ruining it by turning it into a fastback, looks awesome!

(just my opinion. I think notchies look like a fiero, while fastbacks make them look like pinto or most every other car out there)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Steven_Kreg (edited 04-12-2010).]

La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2010 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
looks nice!!!! congrats!!
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
Its looking even better than your old one (no offense) !!! awesome man
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! I will post more pics after sand/buff/wax and trim being put on.
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post

MadDanceSkillz

2591 posts
Member since Jan 2009
On a side note, didn't it look damn good before the clearcoat?
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2010 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
indeed it did!
MadDanceSkillz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Buff/wax finally about to happen. It's already been sanded so it looks like crap right now...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock