Reverse chop top by sactodreamer
Started on: 09-03-2009 02:30 PM
Replies: 92
Last post by: Francis T on 09-16-2010 12:58 PM
sactodreamer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I had a thought last night on my way home so I started up the photoshop upon my arrival. Here is what I got. I believe this would be a VERY easy modification, the only window to modify would be the quarters, and no cutting the frame. I'm seriously considering this when I get around to painting my car.

Before

After

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 09-03-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyDirect Link to This Post
I like it. Very subtle, had to study both pics for a minute before I saw what you altered. I wonder how difficult that would be?
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I thought about doing that to my car as well
it would still give you the same head room but look a bit like a chop.
you would have to do the same thing to the inside door pannel as well other wise it would look like crap from the inside.
D.
fyrebird68

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fyrebird68Send a Private Message to fyrebird68Direct Link to This Post
VERY cool.... I passed on a chop top becasue I'm 6' 2". This could work.

Post your build!
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
You might just paint the bottom of the window to hide the inside of the outer panel.

I have mixed feelings about the loss of the upward curve over the rear wheel. It reminds me of a pretty young woman who, just approaching puberty, hasn’t acquired her curves yet so I look forward to seeing her in a few years.

In my opinion, at best, it’s not worth the effort.
mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
i photoshopped one last year like that and liked it ,if you look at the original it looks like they lowered the body line on the door ,it has always looked weird to me across the top of the door and the triangle piece at the front,with another set of door skins and wipes your almost there ,paint the lower door glass so you can t see the back side of the door skin ....bam... chopped illusion
with no cutting door glass nightmares
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Ooooohh.. daddy likey. I'm 6'4 and this might work for my notchie.
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
The window would also go all the way down. It could look good if done properly but I don't think that the overall change would be worth it for such a subtle change. You could get a lot of the same effect by painting part of the triangle at the front of the window to blend the fenderline down nto the door.

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-03-2009).]

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
That looks good.

------------------
Regards SHARKMAN
Europe # 1 choptop
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...=1342&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://www.fieroforum.se/fo...topic.php?f=10&t=173

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Looks real suttle, had to compare photos a few times to see the changes made.

As for the others who has passed up chop tops because they are 6' 2" - 6' 4" I'm 6'4" and I was able to sit in one of Archies Chop Tops with no issue. I was even able to sit in a Countach kit car but that was cutting it too close to my liking. One thing you have to consider is how "tall" is your torso on your body. I've got a short torso and long legs, a fellow PFF member who stands 6' 2" has less head room then I do because his torso is longer.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by x-thumpr-x:

As for the others who has passed up chop tops because they are 6' 2" - 6' 4" I'm 6'4" and I was able to sit in one of Archies Chop Tops with no issue. I was even able to sit in a Countach kit car but that was cutting it too close to my liking. One thing you have to consider is how "tall" is your torso on your body. I've got a short torso and long legs, a fellow PFF member who stands 6' 2" has less head room then I do because his torso is longer.

I'm 6' 5" with both long legs and long torso, I am uncomfortable driving a non-sun roofed Fiero because my head touches the head-liner. My head would stick out the top of a Chop Top!
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Neat idea!

The only issue I can think of at the moment would be with the door panels. If you just bonded/molded on an extension to the door panel, it will eventually crack. You might have to make fiberglass door panels.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sactodreamer:

I had a thought last night on my way home so I started up the photoshop upon my arrival. Here is what I got. I believe this would be a VERY easy modification, the only window to modify would be the quarters, and no cutting the frame. I'm seriously considering this when I get around to painting my car.

Before

After

Food for thought
Ge-ero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ge-ero1Send a Private Message to Ge-ero1Direct Link to This Post
I had the same idea for my (wife's) notchback. Kinda similar to the plazma/piranah rebody.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

It's been performed before. The purist will complain about you changing from OEM look.... oh brother.

Originally posted by Archie:

A few pictures of roughing in the area around the new 1/4 windows. Building a lip that's a little higher than what it was and a "pinchweld" area to set the window into.

Note: the window area is not finished in these pics. (thus the term "roughing in"). We still will be smoothing & shaping the bottom line, adding a "pinchweld" to the top line & putting a nice pretty radis at the distal end.

Another reason I wanted to change the rear fenders, was that there wasn't anything in this area a guy could build this window area into.

In this case our new window lip is glassed right into the fender cap before the cap is final installed.

Archie

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I Solstice brings the upper roof section down the side a little to get the same affect. You brought up the bottom GM brought down the top section. I don't like the higher doors. I like to rest my arm on the door as I drive and don't like the door to be to high. The roof on the Fiero looks a little thin anyway?

------------------

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
madcurl,

Was the project you posted ever finished? Is that your car?

I figure the quarter panel could be finished by using the lower quarter window are from a nochback to continue the straight line to the "C" pillar. This would be a mod using the Chip Foose style method of subtle changes.

Jake_Dragon, I like that window idea. The GT quarter could be used for that by just moving it up.

EDIT: I see after reviewing pictures of your car that it is yours Madcurl. I'm not much of a purist anyways.

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 09-03-2009).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Sorry sir but I don't like it. To me the green house is just too tall and chopping it is the only thing that improves the look. You might as well put a notchie clip on it if you want the ultimate lowered quarter window.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl,

Was the project you posted ever finished? Is that your car?

I figure the quarter panel could be finished by using the lower quarter window are from a nochback to continue the straight line to the "C" pillar. This would be a mod using the Chip Foose style method of subtle changes.

Jake_Dragon, I like that window idea. The GT quarter could be used for that by just moving it up.

EDIT: I see after reviewing pictures of your car that it is yours Madcurl. I'm not much of a purist anyways.

IMO the only way to pull this modification off is too start midway from the door back and ramp it upward--- not straight thereby reducing the size of the sail window. Granted, as Jscott mentioned, it looks better if the car is chopped. Use a old door skin as a templet and glass in into the upper door leading back to the sail windows. You'll need new custom sail windows too-- so it isn't a cheap modification by any means.

Originally posted by Archie:

A little bit more fiberglassing & the underside of the decklid will be completed.

Then it's time to address the tops of the doors.

Curley wanted the top edge of the door to get taller as it goes back into the quarter window area. So we cut off the top of another door skin & did some trial fitting.......

Here's what it looks like before we glass it in......

Archie

Pics taken from the Arch Rival thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/000053-11.html

------------------

"I drive modified Fieros- anything less would be uncivilized."

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-04-2009).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by x-thumpr-x:

I sat in a real Countach and there was no head room. I'm only 5' 10 1/2" and my head was hitting the side of the door or top, I don't remember which. I remember wondering how in the heck a race driver would be able to wear a helmet.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I really like this idea. The body lines flow together better in my opinion. Gives it a slight more "wedge" shape. I especially like where the door and front fender come together at the top. Makes that line look continuous. Very nice look. Now get it done!

Pat

PFF
System Bot
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I especially like where the door and front fender come together at the top. Makes that line look continuous.

That's what I was thinking, the area at the "A" pillar where it drops down to the upper door is an old design. Bringing that up and continuing the line makes it look more modern. Thanks
TEXASGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post09-04-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
To each their own. I never liked the chop-top. Looks like a door wedge. Just awful! This on the other hand this one looks pretty nice. doesnt have that. "Lets jam my door open look"

[This message has been edited by TEXASGT (edited 09-04-2009).]

SAFASTRO

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SAFASTROClick Here to visit SAFASTRO's HomePageSend a Private Message to SAFASTRODirect Link to This Post
This concept is basically the same idea as the Plazma..........which, by the way, is simply incredible looking!!

Take a look at his door from this angle. Just bring it up like Curly suggested, and your good to go!

I'm doing a subtle version of this on mine........

------------------
Order Pennock's Forum decals in this thread. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040445.html
Other decal, poster, banner, floor graphic needs, go here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/045657.html

2" Choptop
Shortened Front Bumper
Shortened Rear Bumper
10" Stretch
Dubs
350 V8 Conversion pushing 350 ponies!!

KVCFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIERODirect Link to This Post
I like the white car it looks good the other one posted that needs paint is ugly. The blue car looks good I have to say it is very different.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I officially like fastbacks now. You hit on exactly what it needed. That is something I would want to do if I had a fastback.

Photoshop another pic but this time, leave the door alone and only change the quarter window. Black out the quarter window, and paint a border around the quarter window making it look like the lower line of it was horizontal and extend it back far enough to give it the same curve at the rear as it turns upward and toward the front. Why chop when you can paint and give a similar illusion. You would be keeping everything stock and all it would cost you would be a small area of paint.

------------------
Jonathan
1987 SE wrecked parts car
1985 SE parts car 23K miles

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
Boostdreamer,

I'm not sure how you mean to modify it. You only want to change the sail window and nothing else?

The next improvement would be an extended windshield like this. That would be a lot more work though.

Before (so you don't have to scroll all the way to the top):

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 09-05-2009).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
I'm saying that the best part of the change is the straight, horizontal line from the doors to the rear of the quarter window. The cheapest way to do that (other than Photoshop) would be just to black out a small section of white paint under the quarter window. Just make it LOOK like a horizontal line. You would need to black out the window itself to pull it off. I'd like to see it in a Photoshop pic if you wouldn't mind.

To say it in another way, if you went out to your car with a sharpie and a ruler, draw a horizontal line from the lower front corner of the quarter window towards the rear of the car. Extend that line past the rear corner of the window. Now draw a line extending the diagonal rear edge of the window down to meet the horizontal line. Now round out that intersection like an original window. Color everything inside the lines black. Black out the windows themselves. This should fix that body line and make the car look longer and lower.

The next step in cost and difficulty would be to make and install something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/lrzma5

This 05-09 Mustang quarter window cover simulates the '69-70 Mustang Sportsroof body style.

Raising the door up to meet the front fender is good, straightening out that lower line on the quarter window is more important. IMO

------------------
Jonathan

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I think this is what you are talking about?

I think I like Jake_Dragons idea. It's kinda a mix between mine and MadCurl's.

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

I think I like Jake_Dragons idea. It's kinda a mix between mine and MadCurl's.

I left the mirror where it is stock, I tried to think what it would look like if someone just took the top off a spare door and attached it to raise the body line. A mold of the current body could be uses do make the new part for the back quarter panel.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
The greenhouse has that Chrysler 300C feel to it. Not my cup of tea but what do I know? I say if you like it, go for it!
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
As a rule; when in doubt, leave it out. IMO, having a straight line isn't going to enhance the over all look. IMO it's best to follow what is known to work. Ferrari, Lotus, and many other exotics appear to ramp upward... not straight across.

Originally posted by madcurl:

I like how the rear side window flares upward.

Secondly, if the idea or design isn't better than the original--- go back and do it again.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-05-2009).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Sactodreamer, just like that only with the origional picture where the door was stock.

------------------
Jonathan

sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
Here ya go boostdreaner, not to my liking...............looks too much like an early 90's Ford Probe.

MadCurl, I agree completely about the window.
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post

sactodreamer

169 posts
Member since Nov 2003
For those of you who wanted to see a nochie.

Before:

After:

Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
I for one REALLY like how that looks and am seriously tempted to try it out when I do my fastback swap on the Formula. I like the straight lines much better than curves.

------------------
"If any car is both the parade and the rain, it is the Fiero"

Driving a Fiero is like driving a Rough-Draft, Pontiac got it to work, now its up to you to make it a good car.

[This message has been edited by Xanth (edited 09-05-2009).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerDirect Link to This Post
Well, you hit it right on the head but it isn't pretty. I really like your original idea, though. Like I said, you made me like fastbacks (if they were like your first Pshop pic)

Thanks for making my pic.

------------------
Jonathan

CarverToo

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarverTooSend a Private Message to CarverTooDirect Link to This Post
Hey sactodreamer, could you try one more photoshop? This time just alter the door skin to raise front to match front fender and gradually extend back to the stock height of the rear quarter (leaving sail panel as is). Essentially just a door skin mod.

Thanks!
sactodreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sactodreamerSend a Private Message to sactodreamerDirect Link to This Post
I did two, one gradual and one not so much.

[This message has been edited by sactodreamer (edited 10-30-2009).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Quite a good idea wonder how much an existing choptop would look.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock