2.0 turbo fiero by whereatt
Started on: 08-23-2009 09:02 AM
Replies: 49
Last post by: L67 on 11-27-2010 09:27 AM
whereatt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whereattSend a Private Message to whereattDirect Link to This Post
My friend is doing this swap on his fiero and I'm really surprised this wasn't a more popular swap in the early 90's. I don't think I've seen a single one besides the Andretti Fieros (delta204t}. I thought it was pretty cool so I wanted to share.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kyunderdawg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
That is definitely different and has the "cool" factor.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I've seen the car on CarDomain. It for sure will be a very unique swap when it's done.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
I had the non-turbo 2.0 in my old sunbird, and while it wasn't that exciting a motor, I'll vouch for the amazing reliability of it. Those were weird little blocks: They don't even have oil scraper rings.. I put over 250k on it, and changed the oil every 5-6k with synthetic, and it still had the factory grind marks visible on the cam lobes.

Good luck with the swap!
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
there is a close by car an 85 se i believe that has the swap done already...looks cool...about par with a quad 4 for performance...which is what the guys son swapped into his fiero..tim
Xerces_Blackthorne

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Xerces_BlackthorneSend a Private Message to Xerces_BlackthorneDirect Link to This Post
when I first started looking for a Fiero last year, I stumbled across a guy who was selling an 84 coupe and an 89 Grand Am that had this motor in it as a package deal. My first thought was to do this swap into the 84. Ended up passing up both of the cars, although I wish I would have taken that GA...the 2.0 turbo motor in it was a 30k documented rebuild kicking myself for it now...
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
Isn't there an article floating around here about buying a car with this engine swap from the dealer?
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
i wonder how quick this would be?
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I seem to recall the 'Delta 204T" was available through a dealership in the mid-west. I think less than 10 were built.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-24-2009).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoDirect Link to This Post
Here's what i found using PFF search

[This message has been edited by KaijuSenso (edited 08-24-2009).]

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
West coast. Might have been an interesting combo.
PFF
System Bot
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
thats sick.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
What car can we find that motor in? Is it a GM motor?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MordacP:

What car can we find that motor in? Is it a GM motor?

It is a brazillian based Opel engine that GM used in Buick Skyhawks, Sumbirds Turbo's and Grand Am Turbo's. It was a peppy engine back in it's day but weak by todays standards. Few are left and rare to find in good condition.

GM wanted this engine for the Fiero and not the Iron Duke. GM would not release it to Pontiac for the Fiero.

If I recall and Ron can correct me but the Prototype Pace car at the speedway museum warehouse has this engine in it.

If anyone was to do the swap today the Eco Turbo's are becoming cheaper and will put out a lot more power with little work. Mine has 290 HP 315 FTLbs with only a change of two MAP sensors and a flash. Since it was a GM kit it is still under a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. GM is going to put them in more cars starting next year so they will be more common.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-24-2009).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:
If I recall and Ron can correct me but the Prototype Pace car at the speedway museum warehouse has this engine in it.

Yep!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-1-034543.html

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

FieroVin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2009 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinDirect Link to This Post
I've been around and owned Fiero's for 23 years and I thought I'd heard just about every possible swap for a Fiero but this is a new one to me. Looks neat.

------------------
Vin

MAFOA Webmaster
1987 Fiero GT, Medium Red Mettalic, Lowered
2008 Solstice GXP, Aggressive

1988 - 2006 - The 18 year dry spell between 2-seat Pontiac Excitement is finally over.

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post08-24-2009 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
The 2.0 Turbo had wicked head problems. I had 2 Grand Ams a 12 years ago both with the 2.0 Turbo. Both heads blew and it was a mother finding heads for them.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TEXASGT:

The 2.0 Turbo had wicked head problems. I had 2 Grand Ams a 12 years ago both with the 2.0 Turbo. Both heads blew and it was a mother finding heads for them.

I had an '88 Grand Am SE with the 2.0 Turbo in it...and that thing WARPED if you simply looked at it the wrong way. And like TEXASGT says, finding a new head- and you WILL have to find one at some point- is like searching for a needle in a haystack outside of the internet. You'll "pay" for it no matter where you find it.

Another negative- if I recall, the 2.0 has a different bell housing bolt pattern than the Fiero engines, so you can't just use your Fiero tranny either...

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 08-25-2009).]

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
My first time going to the Michigan Fiero club show back in 2001, there was one fiero there with this swap done.
MordacP

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MordacPSend a Private Message to MordacPDirect Link to This Post
that sheet says it had 165 HP, that's 20 more than a stock V6. I think you could pick up 20 ponies alot more quickly, easily, and cheaply by juicing up the ol' 2.8 than just swapping it. Unless there's a pretty gnarly (yes, gnarly) aftermarket for that 2.0, I just dont see the point.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
For the increase in power and less weight the engine would have been the right choice for GM back in 1984.

But in hind sight the we may have been lucky they used the 2.8. It proved to be a more durable engine.

Today we just have much better lighter and more powerful engines. There is no after market for this engine not to mention not too many of these engines left in running or non running condifiton, I used to see them in the junk yard but not so much anymore.

If you haver to have a overhead cam 4 cylinder non turbo or turbo's the Ecotec is the engine of choice today. The only reason I could see to put one of the old Turbo engines in is to make a car of what Pontiac really wanted to do kind of a car.

I am affraid with the track record of this engine with or with out a turbo there would have been few Fiero's still running with the original engine. Even the Iron Duke with it's faults proved to be more reliable.

PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I had a K car a long time ago with a turbo. It had the "grin" factor
Ryan01228

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan01228Send a Private Message to Ryan01228Direct Link to This Post
My uncle worked for Pontiac during the 80s and raced an 84 and 87 sunbird turbo. Very fast cars with a little tuning.
The turbo engine with the black valve cover and intake is a 1.8 turbo, the 2.0 has red valve cover and intake.
Pontiac built several 2.0 turbo test cars in. 87. But they never saw production.

I have 6 sets of pistons and a race prepped head for a 2.0. If I ever find one!

Great engines!

My 2.0 turbo grand am could run a 5.0 mustang dead even, until about 80 mph when the cubes of the v8 took over!
Ryan01228

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan01228Send a Private Message to Ryan01228Direct Link to This Post

Ryan01228

160 posts
Member since Dec 2006
When I said test cars I meant test fiero's! They built about 75000 turbo sunbirds and grand ams!
NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ryan01228:

When I said test cars I meant test fiero's! They built about 75000 turbo sunbirds and grand ams!

They all blew up due to bad cooling and lazy owners not changing oil....
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

And when was the last time you saw one that ran in a Sunbird or GA?

The heads and Turbos died on most. The bearings in the turbo did not cool well and they were not using Mobil One from the factory yet. The bearings like to carbon up and block the oil line just like the T type Buicks did till they got water cooling in the GN.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by josef644:

I had a K car a long time ago with a turbo. It had the "grin" factor

You need to drive a Cobalt SS Turbo. If the K car made you grin I would hate to see what the SS would do to you.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

You need to drive a Cobalt SS Turbo. If the K car made you grin I would hate to see what the SS would do to you.

I would love that engine in a Fiero as well. Too bady the Cobalt SS ended up on the chopping block.
Ryan01228

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ryan01228Send a Private Message to Ryan01228Direct Link to This Post

And when was the last time you saw one that ran in a Sunbird or GA?

The heads and Turbos died on most. The bearings in the turbo did not cool well and they were not using Mobil One from the factory yet. The bearings like to carbon up and block the oil line just like the T type Buicks did till they got water cooling in the GN.

I would say i see as many of them as of any other GM "economy" car built from 87 to 90. (excluding the fiero).

In the rust belt..rust killed those cars long before the engine died....

it has its shortcomings...but the 87's and on were water cooled Turbo's. If you run Mobil one I have seen 200K plus cars.

For the day..they were potent powerplants!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

I would say i see as many of them as of any other GM "economy" car built from 87 to 90. (excluding the fiero).

In the rust belt..rust killed those cars long before the engine died....

it has its shortcomings...but the 87's and on were water cooled Turbo's. If you run Mobil one I have seen 200K plus cars.

For the day..they were potent powerplants!

Then you must not see many.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2009 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I would love that engine in a Fiero as well. Too bady the Cobalt SS ended up on the chopping block.

this is not a big deal the LNF Turbo engine will be offered in many newer GM cars. Next year GM will offer it in the new Lacrosse along with the 2.4. I also heard it may be in the Maibu 2012 and Nox. I would suspect if they move ahead with the Cruze hatch coupe we may see it there as well as the new Buick Regal [Opel Insignia].

The car may be made anymore but the engine lives on. This should make them easier and cheaper for swaps.

PFF
System Bot
fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
I am the owner of the fiero in question. I am aware of all of the potential problems with this swap and the engine itself. I have remedied all of the problems and if anyone cares to know, I can tell you how. The real reason I chose this swap over all of the others is because I have never seen one built by the public and running. I am aware of the pace car as I do live in indianapolis, and I'm also aware of the 12 cars that made it off the the assembly line built by bob carter at red shift limited. To the best of my knowledge only 2 of them still exist. I've seen several threads where people talked about doing this swap and and maybe even attempted it, but have yet to see one running. I wanted to be different. Also the aftermarket is alot bigger than you would think. There are 2 n/a versions of this motor in europe and 2 versions of the turbo motor. The most comparible european version is called the c20get. It's very potent and can make huge power with very little modification, even being sohc. If anyone is interested in learning how I managed to make this swap work in my car, my email is fieroguy1@yahoo.com Also you can check out my cardomain page which I just updated yesterday, it's labled 1988 turbo fiero.

------------------
1988 Turbo 2.0 Fiero

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see something different! Looks like you have done a great job on the swap.

Nolan

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 09-04-2009).]

TEXASGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2009 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTDirect Link to This Post
So whats the state of this swap?
IVANNATINKLE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
agreed im interested in the build any good info?
Madscanner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MadscannerSend a Private Message to MadscannerDirect Link to This Post
A number of cars over this way have had their Iron Duke's replaced with the Vauxhall 16v 20XE engine. Out of the box, I believe they are rated at about 155 bhp, and is a lighter engine. There is a turbo version as well (C20XET), but I'm not aware of anyone over here having dropped one of those in yet...

------------------

'88 Formula
'85 SE 2M6
'73 Peugeot 304 S Cabriolet

KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post
Bobby..I didn't know this was your Fiero! Man I want to see it in person! I've been thinking of doing this swap on one of my other Fiero..

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1987 Fiero Coupe
1986 Fiero Base Coupe..Steel Wheels Baby!
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being built now!
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ centerline "Q" Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's

fieroguy123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
Its been a long time since I've posted in this thread, so I thought I would bring it back.

The yellow gt in the pictures above was dismantled and sold a few months back, and the drivetrain is in process of being swapped into my formula at the moment. The few times that I did drive the car it scared the hell out of me. It was just too unstable under boost given the gearing and weight of the car, "ass happy" as some may call it. There's something slightly terrifying about hitting boost in 3rd gear going around a corner and turning the car around backwards. The twin throttle body set up I've done makes throttle control a very tedious thing and I'm thinking about deleting it.

So I've de-tuned the motor and switched to an isuzu 5spd for the taller gears. Hopefully this will make for a more pleasant drive and less of that unrefined race car feel. I'll post pictures and a video when complete.
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post

unfortunately, the turbo Buick 3.8 never....ever...... got water cooled bearings. there were only a handful of prototype turbos made with a water cooled bearing, none ever made it in a production engine on the GN or T-types.

------------------
84 2.5
87 328 GTB replica
87 Coutach replica

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-26-2010 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock