Started on: 08-23-2009 09:02 AM
Replies: 49
Last post by: L67 on 11-27-2010 09:27 AM
fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post
L67, I'm curious why you posted that video? I don't get what you were trying to say. Elaborate please?
IP: Logged
Cooter

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
The Pull-A-Part in Birmingham Alabama has a complete Turbo Sunbird. I saw it last weekend and thought about it for a moment...nahhhhhh. I've got too many other problems to deal with.
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguy123:

Its been a long time since I've posted in this thread, so I thought I would bring it back.

The yellow gt in the pictures above was dismantled and sold a few months back, and the drivetrain is in process of being swapped into my formula at the moment. The few times that I did drive the car it scared the hell out of me. It was just too unstable under boost given the gearing and weight of the car, "ass happy" as some may call it. There's something slightly terrifying about hitting boost in 3rd gear going around a corner and turning the car around backwards. The twin throttle body set up I've done makes throttle control a very tedious thing and I'm thinking about deleting it.

So I've de-tuned the motor and switched to an isuzu 5spd for the taller gears. Hopefully this will make for a more pleasant drive and less of that unrefined race car feel. I'll post pictures and a video when complete.

You're seriously considering pulling the second TB off? Last time we talked, you seemed really stoked about getting that twin TB demon on that Isuzu and getting it out on the interstate.
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2010 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

L67, I'm curious why you posted that video? I don't get what you were trying to say. Elaborate please?

This thread is about 2.0 turbo's in Fiero's right...? "I have one, its cool."

I'm curious, what were the interpretations you drew?

Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I have a piston the size of that engine ( not joking )...lol. Looks small even in the fiero...that being said it looks like a very well done swap w/e did it. Looks like it came from the factory.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2010 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

I have a piston the size of that engine ( not joking )...lol. Looks small even in the fiero...that being said it looks like a very well done swap w/e did it. Looks like it came from the factory.

That's what's so appealing about it; it weighs less than a duke, and makes more power than the 2.8.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintDirect Link to This Post
pretty kewl, mine uses some of the piping from one of those cars.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT-T intercooled turbo
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079710.html

fieroguy123

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguy123Send a Private Message to fieroguy123Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

This thread is about 2.0 turbo's in Fiero's right...? "I have one, its cool."

I didn't know there was another forum member with this swap! Very cool! Will you share some pics? I know I ran into a lot of complications trying to put this drivetrain in the fiero, how did you do it? Which trans did you use?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Back in the day this was a very smart engine to put in. The weight and power were all right in line for a good small sports car. Pontiac had wanted this engine too but GM would not let them have it.

Today the Ecotec turbo or supercharged is a top swap. The turbo with only a change in 2 Map sensors and computer flash can make 300 HP safely. The weight is way down compared to a V8 and it is small you still have room to work with the engine.

The 2.0 Turbo is now coming in some new cars and will be very common in the future. GM will have a lot of Turbo 4 and Turbo V6 engines. The one V6 I heard may have the Turbo's in the v part of the engine. This would make it easy to package.
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-27-2010 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post

I didn't know there was another forum member with this swap! Very cool! Will you share some pics? I know I ran into a lot of complications trying to put this drivetrain in the fiero, how did you do it? Which trans did you use?

I posted in the "other" thread about it... Forum member befarrer had the swap completed years ago - its still running. From what I could tell, you and I started the swap at just about the same time. I bought the engine from the scrapyard because I was planning on getting the Fiero up and running fast, and the 2.0 is extremely straight forward and compatible; same fuel line connections, same throttle cable setup, same fuel pump as the original Fiero V6, same sensors, same transmissions (albeit different bolt pattern), on and on and on. There weren't really any complications. I'm using the TH125 for now. The plan is to upgrade to a manual transmission, but I don't know if it will be behind the little 4 banger. It would cost less to start over and build an L36-T67-F23 than it would be to make this little guy marginally fast. It's lots of fun though, and did get the car back on the road. I'll come back and post some pictures a little bit later - I'm in the middle of painting the car.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-27-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock