MR2s and Fieros by The MaD cOw
Started on: 07-29-2009 05:50 PM
Replies: 77
Last post by: chrismclubm on 08-20-2010 06:44 PM
The MaD cOw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post
Not a comparison thread.
I was driving home this afternoon, and passed an old mr2... As he gave me a friendly wave, it got me thinking....
I'm just wondering whether any of you include the MR2 crowd at your local fiero meets and shows.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Fieros are wayyyy better then the mr2. At least the 80s mr2. The 90+ are pretty nice but I still don't like them. Fieros look and feel more sporty.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post07-29-2009 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The MaD cOw:

Not a comparison thread.
I was driving home this afternoon, and passed an old mr2... As he gave me a friendly wave, it got me thinking....
I'm just wondering whether any of you include the MR2 crowd at your local fiero meets and shows.

I think most of the animosity has faded over the years. ( sort of like the old 8-bit computer wars of the 80s went.. we are all friends now that we are all in the same 'obsolete boat'.. why keep fighting? )
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
I've been trying to tell the people that want Fiero over-the-roof scoops that they can mod the MR2 roof scoops and they will look great....but no one seems to want a Toyota part on their vehicle.
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post
Based on the responses so far...... I'll take that as a "no"

Too bad though... With such a similar car in so many aspects, it just makes sense to me to extend a pat on the back to them.... I'd love to see a show including both. Guess it's just me though.
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
i think if you have a good crowd of mr2 guys and fiero guys they can get along just fine and respect each others ideas/choice of vehicel i like both think that a 2nd gen mr2 dash swap in a fiero would be killer. but that me.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
I would own an MR2 in a heartbeat if given the chance. I've driven an 80's AW11 and a 90's SW20. The AW11s are as fun as Fieros are, and the SW20s are good indications as to what the Fiero could have been if it had continued.

I include MR2 enthusiasts in a similar crowd as Fiero owners.

------------------

1988 Fiero Formula - Mostly stock. Poly all around. Weee....

cornersonrails

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cornersonrailsClick Here to visit cornersonrails's HomePageSend a Private Message to cornersonrailsDirect Link to This Post
My wife has the 93 MR2 and she loves it. It does drive really well but it's also 7 years newer than my car. Can you imagine what the Fiero be in 93

[This message has been edited by cornersonrails (edited 10-28-2009).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
They catch my eye when I see them but they are too boxy for me.
Sat in a new one in 84 because a friend wanted one. Didn't like the feel of the car, just not the kind of car I would want to drive.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cornersonrails:

My wife has the 93 MR2 and she loves it. It does drive really well but it's also 7 years older than my car. Can you imagine what the Fiero be in 93

I think you mean 7 years newer
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
They're neat, and I don't mind them, but if you compare them, the Fiero is much more appealing.
Plus it's American made.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I like the first and second gen cars, but still don't like the third gens. Just seems like such a giant leap backwards after the second gen cars.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I like MR2's i wanted to buy one before my fiero came around but me and 4 cylinder cars dont mix to well. They are quick and fun. even the MR2 spyder is a neat little car.
IVANNATINKLE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IVANNATINKLESend a Private Message to IVANNATINKLEDirect Link to This Post
one of my buddies has an mr2 early 90's turbo 4 banger however pretty quick.
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SDirect Link to This Post
I'm just not a fan of the 80's MR2's. I like the 90's turbo ones, they look great. There's a local t-top red mr2 that we wave to each other and rev friendly at lights. I've got no problem with'em.
RedlinePlus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2009 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedlinePlusSend a Private Message to RedlinePlusDirect Link to This Post
It would be nice to welcome all midengines sport cars. The mix would be great. And some of the stories would be unbelievable.
Here is couple of my fieros' stable mates.

------------------
If you are not speeding, check your six.

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I've been trying to tell the people that want Fiero over-the-roof scoops that they can mod the MR2 roof scoops and they will look great....but no one seems to want a Toyota part on their vehicle.

Does it actually fit or just an idea how high is the roof how much needs to be modded?

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004

Originally posted by RedlinePlus:

It would be nice to welcome all midengines sport cars. The mix would be great. And some of the stories would be unbelievable.

There is an X19 across the road from my work for sale i have been tempted to buy it but it would mean my only 4 seater would be sold to pay for it being a e30 cabrio.

Swedish Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
I like MR2´s also, especially the 90´s model that are nice even thou more "girly" than the Fiero GT.

Unfortunatelly many MR2 owners seems hostile against the "piece of crap" Fiero fore some reason, dont know why, perhaps they to want a Fiero deep inside !!

------------------
Swedish Fiero

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RedlinePlus:

I totally agree. ...Nice fiat. There's another that you don't see around very often any more. Ya, a general "mid-engine" show is a good idea. I think the interest would be there.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I would own a 2nd gen MR2 right beside my Fiero, if they weren't so damned expensive still. I wasn't a bif fan of the 1st gens, but I have always liked the 90's models. Especially with t-tops.
PFF
System Bot
White Spyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for White SpyderSend a Private Message to White SpyderDirect Link to This Post
I have a gen 3 and love it. Rag top, paddle shifters, low to the ground, and mid engine. It handles better than the Fiero but it is also a new car. It was the Fiero that got me interested in mid engine cars when it first came out. I just bought the MR2 first.

As to your question, we welcome any gearhead into our club.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

There is an X19 across the road from my work for sale i have been tempted to buy it but it would mean my only 4 seater would be sold to pay for it being a e30 cabrio.

The X19 is a blast to drive. True, they are a bit underpowered compared to a Fiero, but, they are lighter and extremely nimble. If you can find one without rust, (they rust bad in Canada) you'll have a fun little go cart.

The MR2 on the other hand does not have an excuse for it's limited power. It should have been given more out of the shute. They also are fun little car and I know a guy who loves his. They are not in the same league as Fieros though. It is sort of a little brother in the car world, although not a GM.

Arn
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
A buddy of mine has a gen1 MR2. bone stock. It doesn't match my 3400 GT, obviously, but he is swapping in a camry engine, then we'll see! They are both good cars, I think that the Fiero platform has more versatility though, as far as driveline upgrades. The gen1 MR2 is just a bit too small I think. The build quality is a little better I think on the MR2. Everything is more expensive for MR2's also. My buddy crapped a kitten when I told how much my suspension upgrades cost me. I have found that most MR2 guys don't know that much about the Fiero's, I think this leads them to think they are crap. When I was showing my car to my buddy and telling him about everything he was really caught off guard by it. Fieros got the MR2 beat in cost to upgrade and versatility, oh and luggage space too, ha ha.
redfieroman2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-30-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
yeah i used to want an MR2 untill theyre prices shot up again

Im moving to Venezuela and there are no Fieros there, if i get a choice in car out there i will buy a 2nd gen MR2 since they are cheap out there (and they only come turbo in Venezuela i think since all the ones i found were turbo)
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
we have a guy in the Ga club that has both and at the last meeting I went to he had the MR2.
it is fine by me I like all mid engine cars, I would even let one of those Italian imports come play with us if they wanted
D.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverDirect Link to This Post
a mr2 spyder passed me yesterday. i didnt even know that they existed. i cant find them on the toyota canada web site, but they are there when you google them. they look really good and the reviews are equally good. only 130 horse but weigh in at 2100 lbs.
jon
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
80's MR2, the X-19 and the Porsche 914 were on my short list along with the Fiero when I went looking for my toy to park in the garage and modify/get road worthy again. I looked at a few MR2s but here in Utah most were rusting pretty bad. I found one X-19 but it was to far away and the Porsche ended up being a little to... expensive for my budget. I found a few Fieros, some rusted some not. One was a 84 with minimal surface rust and supposedly only needed a fuel pump replaced. I checked it out the interior was decent as was most of the body. For $600 I picked it up. I replaced the fuel pump and found fuel leaked past the o-ring seal on the fuel injector. I replaced the o-ring and she fired right up.

Anyways, I would like to get a MR2 and a X-19 someday, I think it would fun to own all 3. Including them all in a show would be a neat idea, along with other 2 seater mid engined cars. I would attend a show like that if it was near me.

ss85fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ss85fieroSend a Private Message to ss85fieroDirect Link to This Post
I am not really a fan of the mr2's, but have always liked the fiat x1/9, as i have owned 2 of them myself. I was actually looking to get another one of them, and was unable to find one , and thats when i ran across my first fiero. Totally addicted now, and am on my 2nd and 3rd fieros right now
signtist2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for signtist2004Send a Private Message to signtist2004Direct Link to This Post
I have a 1987 Toyota mr2, I love it it is quite nible, weighs less than my Fiero GT. It is my daily commuter, has been for 3 years now, I have owned it for 3 yrs- bought it after a guy restored it. Since then I have only had to change the brake pads. Here is a link to the photo of it:
http://s999.photobucket.com...0medium.jpg&newest=1

We recently had a Toyota Mr2 meet back at the end of August here in colorado. This is the link to some of the photos from the meet:
http://www.rmmoc.com/forums...ad.php?t=2825&page=6

[This message has been edited by signtist2004 (edited 10-27-2009).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
A fellow that I worked with in the mid-90's had a 2nd gen T-top that he had tweaked with turbo wastegate control and ECU programming. We used to go to lunch together, I always drove my Fiero (85 GT) and felt 'superior' to his lowly Toyota.

Then he took me for a ride.

The wastegate controller was tied into the engine management system and modulated boost based on transmission gear and engine load. Lower gears had limited boost to afford traction, by the time he was in 3rd at about 70 he was making 25+ pounds and making about 450 horse. The most interesting feature was the 'sneeze valve' that dumped turbo pressure to atmosphere when the throttle butterfly closed (keeps turbo RPM high)

It was a very impressive car, to say the least. The faster you went, the faster it accelerated, and the harder it pulled, but never lost traction on the low end.
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The MaD cOw:

Not a comparison thread.

They've been welcomed and worked on a Fiero shops. They pay the bills just like Fiero owners do, hehe.

The tip of the MR2's wing in the corner;

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 10-27-2009).]

phreakboy4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phreakboy4Send a Private Message to phreakboy4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

a mr2 spyder passed me yesterday. i didnt even know that they existed. i cant find them on the toyota canada web site, but they are there when you google them. they look really good and the reviews are equally good. only 130 horse but weigh in at 2100 lbs.
jon

Very few spiders ever made it into canada, they were sold for a couple months back in 2000 so the ones that made it are still there. Otherwise they didnt meet crash specs for canada.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
I don't see why they wouldn't get along.

I'm friends with a few MR-2 owners. They play in a different league HP, and Money wise that Fiero owners though. (Granted without putting much effort into it) I couldn't find a 2nd gen MR-2 for less than $3000 regardless of mileage.
MR-2 owners also don't blink before dumping over $10,000 in mods into their cars. Some of the turbo, or engine swaps (V6 Camry for instance) are just great.

I wish the MR-2 were slightly bigger though. The 3rd gen doesn't feel like it follows the MR-2 heritage at all. (The convertible) Granted, I'm not a MR-2 entusiasts, so take this as an outsiders point of view.

If there ever would be a spiritual successor to the Fiero, my bets would be:

1) VW - Bluesport
2) Audi R4
3) 4th gen Toyota MR-2

So yes, I always look up towards these brands for another "Fiero" 10 years from now.

I don't think we'll ever see GM doing another proper mid-engined car again. I wish I knew the politics behind it. Even the Pontiac Solstice would have benefited from a mid-engined design and a huge trunk in the front., instead of the near useless trunk in the back. Now the Solstice will always be considered a sad copy of a Mazda Miata with a great EcoTec LNF motor - completely lacking Mazda's Jimbakt- tai. (not sure about the spelling)

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
To explain my Mazda Miata reference:

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The MR2 on the other hand does not have an excuse for it's limited power. It should have been given more out of the shute. They also are fun little car and I know a guy who loves his.
Arn

Pot calling kettle. Come in Kettle... you's black!

Replace the word MR2 with Fiero, and see what I mean.
cherokee 140

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cherokee 140Click Here to visit cherokee 140's HomePageSend a Private Message to cherokee 140Direct Link to This Post
I currently own a Fiero, 1st Gen MR2, and have owned an X 1/9 about 15yrs ago or so, my choice for Fiats have gone smaller I now have an 850 Spider.

I raced the MR2 in SCCA ITA about 5 years ago, they have now been moved to ITB with a little more weight, and I have been on a track with an ITA Fiero.
For those that don't know IT racing (Improved Touring) is more or less a stock car, you can change pads, but things like engine guts are stock, pickup points for susp. are stock, different shocks are ok, different bars are ok, but pretty much a stock car on a race type DOT tire.

The only place the Fiero stood a chance is at the top end of a long straight, it could not come out of the corners as well (this was a rain race), I could out break him at will, but he did have a little power on me.

Now I will say that in this type of racing the drivers skill varies greatly, and I had never seen this guy running before...and I am a mid pack driver with a mid pack car.
gem1138

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
An 850 Spider must be a rare find.

On MR2s:
1st generation was too boxy
2nd generation looked to heavy, I’m not saying it really was though.
3rd generation was designed by an engineer and looks like it. It has no styling at all. I forget the guy’s name but he proved that you should know your limitations and employ the services of a specialist in areas where you are unqualified. Stylists go to art school, not engineering school. I wouldn’t want a hair cut from my butcher.

I got my first sports car, an Austin Healey, in 1970. I soon found that whenever I saw another sports car, it was customary to flash your lights, wave and as an option you might blow your horn. Even people in Ferraris flashed and waved. There was no snobbery. Corvette owners were sometimes an exception but I don’t think that was snobbery, just ignorance. People still buy Corvettes as status symbols, Lamborghinis too. They don’t drive sports cars, they drive “look at me” advertising.

Nowadays, the only flash, wave and honk activity I experience is from other Fiero drivers. I did have FW&H episode with a Lotus Elise driver a few months ago but such experiences have become rare. I passed an MR2 at an intersection the other day and started to wave but didn’t, thinking that they driver probably wouldn’t understand. It would be like speaking Latin, a dead language. I was passing a Porsche Cayman the other day and considered waving but thought, “This guy may be driving a status symbol instead of a sports car. I wouldn’t want to give him the satisfaction of snubbing me.” I waved at a guy in a Ford GT a few months ago and got no response. Maybe he didn’t see me waving or maybe he did.

I think that the proposal that have meets of mid-engine cars has merit but I think all sports cars should be welcome. Then it is no longer a Fiero meet and that’s fine but a Fiero meet is just that. If someone shows up in a Mustang to look at the Fieros, the driver is more than welcome but their car is not a part of the show.

I work with an old guy with an old Alpha Romero that he keeps in immaculate condition. When I bought my Fiero he quipped, “Fieros are no sports cars.” I bet I could drive circles around his Alpha, but then there are family sedans today that can blow off my Fiero. Who’s to say what qualifies as a sports car? Pontiac sold Fieros as “commuter cars.” I suppose they had to avoid the label sports car like the plague. After all, Corvette IS Americas sports car, right?
billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post
I owned a 86 MR2 I hated it.. It was Bird sh.. Yellow and Slow as slug and handled like one to.. I just about payed someone to buy it. But each to there own I guess.
At the sametime I owned a vega with a 350 4 speed. So I guess if you didnt know any better yo think the MR 2 was pretty fast.
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about having an all mid-engine car show in Iowa for a couple of years now. I think it would be a great way to get some interesting new ideas. It might also coax a few exotics to come out of their hiding spots.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock