MR2s and Fieros by The MaD cOw
Started on: 07-29-2009 05:50 PM
Replies: 77
Last post by: chrismclubm on 08-20-2010 06:44 PM
02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
I looked at a 85ish or whatever mr2 N/A before getting a fiero. They were boxy and the one i looked at was total crap for the money(they all seemed like taht). Add to the fact the 5spd trannys are notorious for popping out of 5th gear. I said no thanks.
IP: Logged
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2009 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 02greens10:

Add to the fact the 5spd trannys are notorious for popping out of 5th gear.

LMAO! That made me think of when we moved to Utah. Our van broke down 300 miles from where we were headed. We loaded as much as we could in truck of the friend that was helping us move. We unhooked my VW Golf that was being towed by our van and loaded as much in it as we could. We then continued to drive. The VW was so weighted down that it would not stay in 5th. It kept popping out of gear within a minute or two of me putting it in gear. I drove holding it in gear for almost 6 hours...

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled topic.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-28-2009).]

HausFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I've been trying to tell the people that want Fiero over-the-roof scoops that they can mod the MR2 roof scoops and they will look great....but no one seems to want a Toyota part on their vehicle.

Bump on that!!!! I'd like to see someone put the mr2 "Toms scoops" on a fiero (preferably a fastback).

And in the heat of the topic, how much hp does a turbo gen 2 mr2 make? I mean, with relatively low work to have to be done to it?
Add: the decklid on gen2 mr2's looks like doing work on them would be a pain in the ass

[This message has been edited by HausFiero (edited 08-10-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
my buddy has an 89 i think. maybe a 91, idr. he bought it and is fixing it up from top to bottom to resell it. doing paint, repairs, everything, all on his lonesome. we dont get togetther very often, but when we do we spend the whole time talking about either my Fiero, his MR2, or comparing them lol. i have yet to see his in person tho, it was havign issues last time we got together
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't mind doing an MR-S (Gen3MR2) project some day. I like the similarities it shares with the Fiero. The MR-S is underpowered but it's chassis has a ton of potential. Many have started to swap in more powerful engines such as the 2zz from the 2000 era Celicas. I like how light they are for a modern day car (around 2000 Lbs.) which is featherweight by todays standards. There are some nice body kits and rebodies available for them too.

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Someone flicked me off the other day in a stock looking second gen MR2....... Hater.
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroDirect Link to This Post
My brother's Mr2 and my Solstice....
I like his Toyota...actually has more cabin room than the Sol too (not trunk wise).

[This message has been edited by Falcon Fiero (edited 08-11-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I like the MR2 spyder. i was looking at one before i bought my eclipse but theres only room for onr kind of 2 seater in my heart..... nAt least until im rich and famous and roll around in ferrari's
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I like the MR2 spyder. i was looking at one before i bought my eclipse but theres only room for onr kind of 2 seater in my heart..... nAt least until im rich and famous and roll around in ferrari's

Ha.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
If I had my choice, this kit would be the one and at $2,999 it is not bad:

PFF
System Bot
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

If I had my choice, this kit would be the one and at $2,999 it is not bad:

vailside makes an even nicer one i think.. ill post pics up later. i almost bought one with a vailside kit on it.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
A lotus Elise is a better choice than the latest mr2 although I love the
89 mr2 sc over the second gen mr2
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
ALL of the mid-engined cars around here are uncommon. There's fewer Fieros of course (my '87 is the ONLY Fiero that runs down where I am) but there's not many decent MR2s either. The two I know of that aren't the grandma spec naturally aspirated variety belong to my friends, so we cruise together as the only maniacs game for fun mid-engined cars

So yes, I believe there's a good chance we could all get along. After all, the MR2's out of production now too. It's the end of an era really... there just isn't an affordable, mass produced mid-engined car for the masses any more.

------------------

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

I've been trying to tell the people that want Fiero over-the-roof scoops that they can mod the MR2 roof scoops and they will look great....but no one seems to want a Toyota part on their vehicle.

The ones that go over the quarter panel windows look the best. I posted a thread about those.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/079514.html
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownDirect Link to This Post

vailside makes an even nicer one i think.. ill post pics up later. i almost bought one with a vailside kit on it.

From above. This is th Veilside kit.
BobJones97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobJones97Send a Private Message to BobJones97Direct Link to This Post
My wife drives a 3rd gen Spyder. I'm building my second Fiero, Yellowclone, more or less (in probably vain attempts) to show her up.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
What does it take to get 400 horsepower in a 2nd gen mr2? Money wise, work wise, and reliability wise?
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
A bigger turbo and a boost controller

Realistically the 3S-GTE's weakness is the bottom end - if you were wanting bigger power than what bolt-ons will give, you'd need to go forged internals, which are readily available. Doing a nice rebuild locally would cost around 5k, so not expensive at all for properly good parts.

The catch is it's good horsepower, but at the end of the day, it's just a 2.0L four cylinder, build like so at your own peril. I'd rather the swap that's gaining in popularity - supercharged or turbocharged Camry quadcam V6.

------------------

billpapps

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 06:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for billpappsSend a Private Message to billpappsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by billpapps:

I owned a 86 MR2 I hated it.. It was Bird sh.. Yellow and Slow as slug and handled like one to.. I just about payed someone to buy it. But each to there own I guess.
At the sametime I owned a vega with a 350 4 speed. So I guess if you didnt know any better yo think the MR 2 was pretty fast.

Ya know Looking back on my post here. Pretty lame Yea I did own a that. Drove the Piss out of it for close to 3 years.
Thinking back on it. Deep down inside..I guess I didn't hate that MR so much after all.
HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that is true. Iv read that quadcam v6 swap is hard tho, not like a fiero swap.. But if ur able to make that much hp with that little 4 cyl does it rly matter that it's just a 2L 4 cyl? The engine bay looks like it would be sooo much harder to get to and work on than a fiero, can anyone second this?

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

A bigger turbo and a boost controller

Realistically the 3S-GTE's weakness is the bottom end - if you were wanting bigger power than what bolt-ons will give, you'd need to go forged internals, which are readily available. Doing a nice rebuild locally would cost around 5k, so not expensive at all for properly good parts.

The catch is it's good horsepower, but at the end of the day, it's just a 2.0L four cylinder, build like so at your own peril. I'd rather the swap that's gaining in popularity - supercharged or turbocharged Camry quadcam V6.

[This message has been edited by HausFiero (edited 08-12-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrDirect Link to This Post
MR2's seem nice. A couple of problems though:

1) 1st gen MR2 looks boring, even more so than the bumperpad fiero

2) 3rd gen MR2 looks like it would be driven by a chick. plus it looks rather boring. It desperately needs a bodykit.

3) the only people I see driving them are the kind of people who drive civics with tailpipes you could stuff a water melon in and still have space to squeeze in a few bananas. Either that or the kind of people who think driving a pokemon-looking vehicle will make them seem younger and cooler...

aside from that, those MR2's with bodykits look pretty nice. almost, but not really, as nice as a Lotus Elise/Exige. Having a club open to all mid-engined cars wouldn't be a bad idea. The presence of the "lesser" cars would help in keeping the stuck-up people away
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RedlinePlus:

Here is couple of my fieros' stable mates.

You keep your woman in the garage with your cars? BTW, I love MR2's and would love to own one. Especially the most recent Spyder edition.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 08-12-2010).]

JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
I talked to a fashion magazine representative today in Harajuku Japan at my Photo-shoot about cars today. He said his first car was the 1st gen MR2. he said it was fun and all but didn't have power steering and was heavy. I went on to explain the rivalry between the Fiero and MR2 back in the states. He had no clue what a Fiero was lol. It was pretty cool talking cars with someone from Japan who could speak enough English and manage with my poor Japanese.

------------------
The H1 my father, brother and I built.
www.suburbangorilla.com

Facebook

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

The X19 is a blast to drive. True, they are a bit underpowered compared to a Fiero, but, they are lighter and extremely nimble. If you can find one without rust, (they rust bad in Canada) you'll have a fun little go cart.

The MR2 on the other hand does not have an excuse for it's limited power. It should have been given more out of the shute. They also are fun little car and I know a guy who loves his. They are not in the same league as Fieros though. It is sort of a little brother in the car world, although not a GM.

Arn

Well it wasn't a fiat X-19 it was a Bertone so even better.
The Fiat X1/9 is a two-seater mid-engined sports car designed by Bertone and manufactured by Fiat from 1972-1982 and by Bertone from 1982-1989. ...

[This message has been edited by Australian (edited 08-13-2010).]

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Australian

4701 posts
Member since Sep 2004

The only thing i don't like about veilside is it is so recognisable as veilside the car pictured looked very porsche but probably looks more individual that veilside id rather look like a porsche than a honda is all.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2010 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RedlinePlus:

It would be nice to welcome all midengines sport cars. The mix would be great. And some of the stories would be unbelievable.
Here is couple of my fieros' stable mates.

I've always liked the Fiat X-1/9 Bertone. There's one in the junkyard right now with absolutely NO RUST on it. It's one of the later ones when it was no longer called a Fiat...

That grill should be black, shouldn't it?

The late 80s ones, like the 1987 was REALLY cool... there's just something REALLY unique about late 80s Italian design. I don't really know how to explain it because the interior is certainly very 80s, but it's kind of like trendy 80s.

I remember seeing another one in the junkyard many years ago (it was an 87), and it had this grey matrix looking fabric interior. Inset into the pattern were dashes of aqua, magenta, and off-white stripes. Sounds tacky as hell... but that's just because I can't really explain it, but it looked really cool.

The gauges of course looked like something you might expect from an 80s Ferrari. The later interiors kind of looked 80s Nissan-ish... but with a slightly classier look.

I've never driven one, but I've been in plenty of them (all in the junkyard) and I love the interior layout.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

signtist2004

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for signtist2004Send a Private Message to signtist2004Direct Link to This Post
I own both, A fiero and and Mr2. I have an 87 Mr2 that is in excellent condition and is my daily driver. I love it, but not as fun to drive as My fiero. But extremely reliable, I havn't had to do anything to it mechanically, Ive owned it for over 3 years. Bought it from a guy who restored it. Its got about 150,000 miles on it and ive put the 50,000 from commuting to my job 80miles + a day since ive owned it.
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The MaD cOw:

Not a comparison thread.
I was driving home this afternoon, and passed an old mr2... As he gave me a friendly wave, it got me thinking....
I'm just wondering whether any of you include the MR2 crowd at your local fiero meets and shows.

Hmmm... got bumped back up. Still doesn't look like many have done joint showings. Too bad. I think its a good idea

Great picture Falcon Fiero
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2010 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroDirect Link to This Post
Got a friend that has a Gen1 with a factory supercharger and he also has a Gen2 with the turbo and t-tops. When the boost comes in on the early car it is pretty nasty, the turbo is much smother and handles better. He also has an 88 GT T-Top 5 speed car. He likes his 2 seaters to go like hell.
THE REAL Fieronut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for THE REAL FieronutSend a Private Message to THE REAL FieronutDirect Link to This Post
"I remember seeing another one in the junkyard many years ago (it was an 87), and it had this grey matrix looking fabric interior. Inset into the pattern were dashes of aqua, magenta, and off-white stripes. Sounds tacky as hell... but that's just because I can't really explain it, but it looked really cool. "

I think it was an '88. Here is a pic from the brochure. Doesn't really show it well but you can see the threads.

------------------
John

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

There is an X19 across the road from my work for sale i have been tempted to buy it but it would mean my only 4 seater would be sold to pay for it being a e30 cabrio.

I have a 76 Fiat spider 124 (very modifeid eng and bod ) and don't recomend getting X1/9, They have even less power than the Fiero and are a bummer to work on, especailly the electrics. Rust can be a major problem too. You do have to admit that both he fiero and mR2 owe to them as far as styling is concerned.

------------------
[IMG]

trueleo.com
RSpiderII@aol.com

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I just saw a blue X1/9 in town here yesterday. I'd be worried about being able to find parts for them, they don't seem to have the cult-following our cars do, they were imported in small quantities, and most are much older than our cars.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 06:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
You can parts here and there are other places

international-auto.com
GMplastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
I tried to get into an MR2 a couple of times. No dice. I don't fit. If I get my rear into the seat, I can't get my legs in far enough and under the steering wheel to close the door without doing some serious damage. If I wear able to get, the top might have to be off and goggles may be required.

I am 4'30.5" tall (yep, that's 6'6.5") and 200 pounds and I drive Fieros comfortably. I even have enough room to wear a hat! The MR2 looks nice, but like the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, they don't fit. My two sons are about the same height, my youngest is slightly taller and my oldest, only slightly shorter and they both drive Fieros with equal comfort.

It seems that GM tailored the Fiero to accommodate a wider variety of body types (on the car and inside the car) in the '80's than other manufacturers considered.

Just my .02 for those of you with a "streched chassis."

------------------
Gold '87 GT, Black '87 GT, Black '88 Mera, 64 Stingray coupe, '01 Corvette coupe, '03 Corvette coupe & caretaker of son's Yellow '87 GT, & Other son's Red '86 GT,
General tinkerer and doer of mechanical deeds

tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
I am just immature enough to still call them "The Enemy". (MR2s, that is)
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GMplastic:

I tried to get into an MR2 a couple of times. No dice. I don't fit. If I get my rear into the seat, I can't get my legs in far enough and under the steering wheel to close the door without doing some serious damage. If I wear able to get, the top might have to be off and goggles may be required.

I am 4'30.5" tall (yep, that's 6'6.5") and 200 pounds and I drive Fieros comfortably. I even have enough room to wear a hat! The MR2 looks nice, but like the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, they don't fit. My two sons are about the same height, my youngest is slightly taller and my oldest, only slightly shorter and they both drive Fieros with equal comfort.

It seems that GM tailored the Fiero to accommodate a wider variety of body types (on the car and inside the car) in the '80's than other manufacturers considered.

Just my .02 for those of you with a "streched chassis."

I second this! I'm 6' 5", and I fit just fine into my Fiero! There is no way I fit into a Solstice (I did try). I never did plan on getting a MR2, but now I know for a fact i'm not getting one.
chrismclubm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
The solstice looks sexier than the MR2

------------------

For Fiero Articles, Magazines, and Prototype Photos, visit: http://www.gt.ppdictionary.com
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock