Roof Scoop for interior Cooling by Blueiii
Started on: 06-29-2009 12:04 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: Australian on 06-11-2010 05:37 AM
Blueiii

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I remember the first time I saw a roof scoop on a car, and questioned someone about "Why?"

I understand the "snorkels" on some fieros, although I personall find them to be ugly. Has anyone ever constructed a functional roof scoop for allowing cool air to travel in (as opposed to simply popping the sunroof?)

Any pictures of roof scoops?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I think there was one guy who did this like 2 years ago
gem1138

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gem1138Send a Private Message to gem1138Direct Link to This Post
Heres a Mcalaren F1

The roof scoop feeds the engine intake on this car.
The driver sits in the middle so the ductwork doesn't block any of the rear view.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i just think of mad drag with one of those and that it is mocking that eclipse from the first fast and furious.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
replace the glass for the sunroof, with a fiberglass piece with the scoop on that
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I started to create one... but never finished the project. I still have the fiberglass scoop itself & a rally roof vent (weatherproof). If you're interested, I'd probably be willing to part with them.

Here's an artist's rendering (Reality) from "way back when..."

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...031229-1-032746.html

Also, FieroX had a functional one as well... but I couldn't seem to find any pics.

[edit]
Ooop.... just found one of X's ~ kind of hard to see, but it is up there!

[/edit]

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-29-2009).]

mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I did a little more digging and ran across my original thread asking for people's input on a roof scoop - didn't realize that was already back in 2001!

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-1-012815.html
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Fiberglass sells a fiberglass replacement piece for the Fiero sunroof. Glassing in a scoop into that would probably be the best route, because at least that way you could remove it and simply replace it with you standard sunroof if you didn't want to use it a particular day.

http://fierofiberglass.com/?page_id=36
Blueiii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2009 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueiiiSend a Private Message to BlueiiiDirect Link to This Post
I definitely like the idea of one that's functional for interior cooling and air circulation. . . AND the idea of molding something to a fiberglass "sunroof" panel that would be removable. (This would only be used for autoX days anyway, when I prefer a bit of airflow in the car.)

I wish I didn't suck at photoshop, otherwise I could start drawing out some schematics of my idea. . . IMO the scoop would be matched to the hood vent and side scoops.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:
I started to create one... but never finished the project. I still have the fiberglass scoop itself & a rally roof vent (weatherproof). [

If "weatherproof" means the roof scoop lets air into the interior but not rainwater, how does that work?
PFF
System Bot
FieroMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMattClick Here to visit FieroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroMattDirect Link to This Post
Finally something I know about. We have these on all of our rally cars. 1. We can only have our windows rolled down 1" while on stage, so it helps cool the cabin. 2. It pressurizes the cabin to keep the dust out (somewhat). Probably not much use in a Fiero, unless you have no A/C, its hot and its raining. The better ones have nozzles that point toward the driver and co-driver. This is a link to one of them, which is more function than fashion. There are more lower profile ones that you can find, which are much cheaper.
http://subydriver.com/stispcroveac.html
Dan Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RoSend a Private Message to Dan RoDirect Link to This Post
I never understood roof scoops, whether for engine intake or interior cooling. Doesn't water get in there?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Pontiac supplied an inner sunroof cover and air diverter on cars that has the sunroof option. The air diverter improves the flow of air into the passenger compartment. They can often be found on the used parts market.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

If "weatherproof" means the roof scoop lets air into the interior but not rainwater, how does that work?

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/body.htm scroll down to the bottom (item 1080). It's truly weatherproof when closed but is designed to reduce the amount that would enter with it open during wet conditions.

This lightweight item attaches to the underside of your roof skin and allows fresh air to flow into the cockpit thru a 7" x 3' opening. The lid fits tight and sits a little proud of the roofline to minimize water entry while raining and to prevent seepage when sitting in the elements. Use with ROOF SCOOP (described above) for full effect. Opens forward and backward to stuff air into the cockpit (pressurizing cabin and reducing dust entry) or draw air out for a more gentle airflow on transits. Requires medium skill to install and the willingness to cut a hole in your roof.

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 06-30-2009).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by project34:

Water is heavier and more inertia than air. If a scoop was designed properly it could greatly reduce or eliminate water from entering the cabin with no moving parts. I think it could be done using a scoop within a scoop concept.

Start with a small scoop and turn it backwards. Then install a larger, forward facing scoop on top of it. Ram air would be forced to make a 180 degree turn so that it would have to go forward into the rear facing scoop.

The larger scoop would be a partial bypass type that would allow some air to spill out of the back along with any water that accumulated. A small lip at the entrance of the small scoop's intake might be necessary to keep water from pooling and dripping into the interior of the car.

If anybody builds it I want you to make me one.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2009 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:

Water is heavier and more inertia than air. If a scoop was designed properly it could greatly reduce or eliminate water from entering the cabin with no moving parts. I think it could be done using a scoop within a scoop concept.

Start with a small scoop and turn it backwards. Then install a larger, forward facing scoop on top of it. Ram air would be forced to make a 180 degree turn so that it would have to go forward into the rear facing scoop.

The larger scoop would be a partial bypass type that would allow some air to spill out of the back along with any water that accumulated. A small lip at the entrance of the small scoop's intake might be necessary to keep water from pooling and dripping into the interior of the car.

If anybody builds it I want you to make me one.

It would be easier than that a small flange underneath any scoop water will run around it air will flow through.
longgonefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longgonefieroSend a Private Message to longgonefieroDirect Link to This Post
Seeing as my car is a bare bones stock 84' with no A/C this would be an awsome option for me. Any updates on this?
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/051720.html

From Pennock's forum member "Oslo"
I am happy to announce that our new fiberglass Roof Scoop sunroof replacement insert is ready for production and sale!

Click here to order!

Starting price of $190 + shipping

Options for your order:
* Air Divertor Shelf
* Scoop Cut Out
* Top Finishing (Sand and Primer)

This item is a Roof Scoop for all Pontiac Fiero's from 1984 to 1988 that originally had a Sun Roof.

It will open and close just like the original Sun Roof. The scoop pulls in a nice stream of air and the noise level is about the same as having a window slightly open. Crack the driver side window and the air blows right by your head for a nice cooling affect. Also this scoop will store in the original location of your OEM sunroof glass under the hood!

This is a brand new part produced from a new mold. The Roof Scoop is a Polyester Resin laminate with a white Gel Coat top layer and four layers of fiberglass mat hand layered one at a time. Please allow between 1 and 4 weeks from order for the product to be finished and shipped.

Examples of the air divertor shelf:

The Roof Scoop comes finished in white gel coat on top and natural fiberglass on the bottom. The bottom can be painted or finished with a cloth to match the rest of the head liner. The bottom is not “smooth” and has some irregular bumps from the fiberglassing process. They can be ground or sanded away for a smoother finish. The top white gel coat finish will require some sanding then primer then more sanding etc for the smoothest painted surface.

The Roof Scoop comes with four holes drilled so you can transfer your mounting hardware from the glass Sun Roof to the Roof Scoop. The Roof Scoop will then open and close just like the Sun Roof. You will need a T25 star socket to remove and remount the hardware.

The roof scoop insert utilizes original Fiero sunroof mounting hardware including the OEM upper handle assembly of the sunroof latch. If you need to purchase more original mounting hardware, visit the Fierostore and get these replacement parts:
Part #64245 Replacement Sunroof Hardware Kit

The Roof Scoops are made one at a time and may take from one to four weeks for delivery depending on how busy the shop is at the time of the order.

------------------
Top Line Group Automotive
-Aftermarket accessories for the Fiero
www.TLG-auto.com

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 06-10-2010).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/051720.html

You know as I read the thread I thought... I remember TLG posting teaser pics of one of those awhile back. I would imagine it was done and ready for sale by now.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 06-10-2010).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
While not as eloquent as some of the examples above, one of the wind deflectors made for sun roofs, turned around and installed on the roof at the rear of the sunroof might work.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd (<10K miles)
White 85GT (SC3800 Series II w/ AOD)
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

PFF
System Bot
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Yes you can even buy one to fit in the place of a stock sunroof.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock