Started on: 08-16-2003 11:57 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 08-21-2003 12:49 PM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2003 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Notice the roof scoop on Jordan Kelley's Fiero:

I believe Rob Bartlett (MinnGreenGT) also has one in his sig pic. Has anyone found a way to make these functional in some way other than just looking cool?

BTW this is not meant to spark any discussion about what they look like, or whether or not you like them, or why would you want to do that, I just want to know if anyone has made them work as an air intake for cabin ventilation or some sort of engine compartment intake. Like the Maclaren F1:

No comments on any other aspect of Jordan's car please, this thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023057.html is all about it.
Ira

BTW this is just an academic question since both of my Fieros have sunroofs (sunrooves??)

Hey Archie, how about something like this added to the Finale:

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Sig design by MinnGreenGT

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-17-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
from the posts I have read I believe FieroX formed one of those to his roof and routed it into the passenger compartment... thats all I know =)

------------------

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
good response!

EDIT: spelling

[This message has been edited by tednelson83 (edited 08-17-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
OK...OK...so you don't actually need it, I was just curious, I couldn't do it anyway because of the sunroof. As for the Finale, it has a sloped rear glass so the scoop which wraps over the roof and window (like on the Maclaren) may be doable. A functioning over the roof scoop like this would make an interesting custom effect on the Finale. Here are some manipulated pics I did a couple of years ago of the Fino with a scoop:

Can't give credit for the original pictures, I believe they came from the pre-Archie site but I could be wrong.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-17-2003).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I have a design for a roof scoop for the sunroof.(still in R&D)
Basicly what is involved is to have a fiberglass piece made in the same dementions as the glass with a low profile scoop molded inot that. The tabs would be incorporated same as the glass. Lovered vents on the inside part.

Both will fit under the front trunk area when not in use. ie. rain, carwashing. Just take one off and replace it with the other. very simple!!!

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor, 5sp.
custom hood,trunk,side scoops,IRM front spoiler

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
yeah mine works. one of these days Ill post up pics so you can see how. okbye
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

yeah mine works. one of these days Ill post up pics so you can see how. okbye

Yeah.. I have felt the 'breeze' from the passenger seat.... My neck is still a little sore..

------------------

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2003 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
Thats a great idea, i would love to see a finished product with a good description of how it works...

-Phil

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Mine's not completed yet (hot/humid weather sucks, and I just haven't felt "motivated" lately).

But yes, it is (or will be) fully functional. I purchased a roof vent (to go inside the scoop) off a WRX/WRC Rally Car (from Primitive Racing in Washington State).

Here's a pic or two to give you an idea of how it all works.

Here's the scoop I'm using (this is Jch 82's car - currently non-functional).

Here's the scoop positioned on my roof skin:

And the vent itself (guaranteed to seal):

And another of the scoop a little farther along:

...lots of projects in the works, but only a little time to work on them!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Looks good Rob, I was thinking of what revin posted, and a design like yours built into a fiberglass sunroof replacement panel would be really cool. That way I could try it on my car and not have to give up the great days of removing the roof. I could remove the scoop panel and store it at home while leaving the glass panel stored in the front compartment.

This is also great for me since I do not have AC and, even up here, we get enough hot days to make driving uncomfortable.

Can't wait to see yours finished Rob.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-18-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the positive comments IRA - maybe they'll help motivate me to get working on it again

I know that at one time (long ago) Reality had started work on a sunroof-replacement roof scoop... there are a couple of pics in my first "brainstorm" thread about roof scoops on Fieros (look for sage's post part way down page 1): https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020511-1-012815.html

yashmack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yashmackClick Here to visit yashmack's HomePageSend a Private Message to yashmackDirect Link to This Post
anyone have a view from the top of the car? like straight on as if you were looking directly at it? I have an idea I would like to sketch out but need a picture of the top rear of a fiero, any woudl do really, notch or fastback.
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Rob, too bad the pictures are so amall. It looks like he was lining up the leading edge of the scoop with the panel but then letting the trailing edge extend back over the roof. This simplifies finding an appropriate scoop.

I was thinking, do a mold of the sunroof panel (inside and out)and then lay out the two layers. In the bottom layer install the rally air intake, and then mold the scoop into the top layer (could actually make the mold with the scoop in place). Mount the attachment hardware to the bottom layer and then bond them together. The result is that only the edge line would show from outside, and inside would be a smooth ceiling with the vent in the centre. Add the correct hexagonal grill material and you have the rally look and function too.

Any fiero custom parts builders want to try this? I won't charge anything for the idea just send me one when you are finished

Ira

Reality

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RealityClick Here to visit Reality's HomePageSend a Private Message to RealityDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monza76:

Thanks Rob, too bad the pictures are so amall. It looks like he was lining up the leading edge of the scoop with the panel but then letting the trailing edge extend back over the roof. This simplifies finding an appropriate scoop.

I was thinking, do a mold of the sunroof panel (inside and out)and then lay out the two layers. In the bottom layer install the rally air intake, and then mold the scoop into the top layer (could actually make the mold with the scoop in place). Mount the attachment hardware to the bottom layer and then bond them together. The result is that only the edge line would show from outside, and inside would be a smooth ceiling with the vent in the centre. Add the correct hexagonal grill material and you have the rally look and function too.

Any fiero custom parts builders want to try this? I won't charge anything for the idea just send me one when you are finished

Ira

Very well thought out! Actually that is essentially how I was going to do it. I even still have the scoop hanging out in the rafters of the garage somewhere. I had every intention of finishing this project and makeing it functional, but after starting it I have changed my mind of the type of "style" that I was going for. If anyone is still interested in seeing how far I got with makeing a replacement sunroof panel with scoop let me know and I will try to dig it out and take some pictures.

------------------

Get the Wallpapers here! and Get the T-Shirts here!

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

Mine's not completed yet (hot/humid weather sucks, and I just haven't felt "motivated" lately).

But yes, it is (or will be) fully functional. I purchased a roof vent (to go inside the scoop) off a WRX/WRC Rally Car (from Primitive Racing in Washington State).

Here's a pic or two to give you an idea of how it all works.

Here's the scoop I'm using (this is Jch 82's car - currently non-functional).

Here's the scoop positioned on my roof skin:

And the vent itself (guaranteed to seal):

And another of the scoop a little farther along:

...lots of projects in the works, but only a little time to work on them!

Wow Rob that is awesome. Im speachless.

------------------
Fierokid's baby:
R.I.P.V-6 Swap 1987 Blue Fiero
sport coupe

White 1988 Fiero Formula
AIM: Fierokid87
Rate Me Please

2.9L V-6: 2030 Compucam, Darrel Morse Fuel Pressure Regulator, 9.5:1 comp, zeroed out balanced crank, connecting rods matched, MSD 6A ignition box and Blaster GM style coil, Darrel Morse Bored out TB and intake, 19# Mustang Injectors, Removed TB coolant lines, Darrel Morse Dogbone strut, and more to come

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Hey Anthony, fire up the camera and start digging I would like to see your project if it's not to difficult.

Ira

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2003 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

Wow Rob that is awesome. Im speachless.

Thank for the compliment!

Originally posted by Reality:

If anyone is still interested ...let me know and I will try to dig it out and take some pictures.

Anthony- I'd still be curious to see some more pics

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Rob, you have a PM, I can't seem to find a vent like you have. Do you have a source?

Thanks
Cory

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
I have seen those vents on RVs, check out an RV supply store.

Ira

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Been looking some more... http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=205 http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=302

http://www.rallytech.co.uk/vents.htm
What is the 2nd one down? Does this go in the cockpit?

I have fibersmiths roof scoop.

Thanks

Cory

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Monza- simliar to an RV vent, but not quite the same. I guess I should've posted the link with the other info

Cory- It was purchased from Primitive Racing out of Washington State (from Paul Ecklund) at http://www.get-primitive.com/ (look under body parts, then under roof & hood vents). You may want to go ahead and email Paul and see what he has available, as there are a few variations. Mine is steel and came used off another car... at the time he also had an aluminum one for about $10 more.

One thing to take note of, the vent is designed to be opened front or backwards up to 6" hight - and thus needs to be "restricted" so that it doesn't exceed the height of the inside of the fiberglass scoop (I'll be putting some "stoppers" in mine before the final install).

BTW: I too looked at the CF ones you listed... very nice piece, but I didn't think it was exactly what I was going for

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 08-20-2003).]

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
WHERE on earth did Jordan Kelly get that hood??? I want one!!!! Jordan, if you're watching this, PLEASE PM me detials . Thx!

------------------
'86 GT - 4speed RED!
Pioneer Radio

"Go fast before you look fast"
<>{RazorWing}<>

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Razor_Wing:

WHERE on earth did Jordan Kelly get that hood??? I want one!!!! Jordan, if you're watching this, PLEASE PM me detials . Thx!

Every Fiero made has that same hood

Fiero5

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2003 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Maybe they all started out with the basic plain Fiero hood, but we added a bit to it

Jordans hood and the rest of his Fiero for that matter can be seen here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023057.html
For his black hood you might want to start half way down on page 3 at least: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023057-3.html

Here are a few pics of his hood from that thread:

Steve

[This message has been edited by Fiero5 (edited 08-20-2003).]

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the site Rob.

How are you planning the interior on the headliner? And how much airflow do you think this will actually put in?

Sorry so many questions, I just want to get started on this..

Cory

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

Thanks for the site Rob.

How are you planning the interior on the headliner? And how much airflow do you think this will actually put in?

Sorry so many questions, I just want to get started on this..

No problem, glad to be of some help.

For the headliner & interior... I'm just going to cut a hole and wrap the fabric in - I don't know if I'll do anything else until I get a little farther into the project.

Airflow? Ummm... I don't really know for sure - enough to be useful, but probably not so much that I'd eliminate my A/C

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock