Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  What inspired you to but your fiero? (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
What inspired you to but your fiero? by pontiackid86
Started on: 06-08-2009 10:23 AM
Replies: 76
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 08-31-2010 05:56 PM
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
i have always liked the fiero ( i remember when they started making the fast back). been thinking about buying one for years. then i found this forum...
you guys S*%CK! lol since i have seen all you have done with your cars i had to have one! i bought an 87 gt with 60000 miles and now it starts. fiero king style headlights are done! bumper from AMIDA is on the way. and in a day or two i will be buying one of ARCHIE'S wide body kits.
where will this madness end???
new interior...engine swap.....
al

page 2 MINE!!!

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 06-10-2009).]

IP: Logged
Swedish Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
Easy.. Yellowstone !

------------------
Swedish Fiero

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

ClayTonto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClayTontoSend a Private Message to ClayTontoDirect Link to This Post
I was 16 and I had worked all summer saving to buy my first car for my junior year of High School. I was on my way to buy an 85 Porsche 944 for $2000 when I saw a white 86 notchback on the way. I stopped to test drive it and the alternator belt broke during the drive. The guy selling it said he would replace the belt and sell it to me for $1100. I went to drive the 944, but I couldn't get the Fiero out of my head. The Porsche was a dog, ragged out, cracked dash, smoking engine, and two hours later I was the proud owner of an 86 2M4 with $900 still in my pocket! I thought that was the greatest day of my life! Well at least until that belt snapped again...and again! But, none the less, I was hooked. 6 Fieros later I still can't get them out of my head.
labbe001

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for labbe001Send a Private Message to labbe001Direct Link to This Post
bout 6 years ago, i was dating a girl that i met in college and we went down to visit her family for a few days. i saw a silver 86GT sitting in the back corner of their lot. when i asked about it, she told me it was her mom's old car and that she had just quit driving it when she bought her new one and that she just parked it there and left it..it had been sitting for about a year or so. later on that day we got to talking about it and her mom said she sell it to me for $50.00 ...being a college student, naturally i was broke as a joke from partying so i had to pass it up...a few weeks later, she called me up and said if i wanted it to just come and get it...spring break was right around the corner so my dad and i made the four hour trip and trailered it back to my parent's house. i got a new battery, alternator, and changed the fluids. she fired right up...forgot to mention it had bout 87k on it. anyway's, like i said, i was dirt poor at the time so it sat there on the concrete for 4 years or so..when visiting from college, i would crank it up periodically and driving it around my parents yard. well, since graduating college, getting a real job and buying a house....i bought 2 - 87GT's and had no reason to keep the 86GT...so this past weekend i said goodbye to her and gave her a new home....funny thing, the car went back to the same city it came from...just a different owner
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
When I was a kid (7 years old)... the hot girl across the street got a silver 85 in high school and I remembered it about 7 years ago and wondered if you could still find one around. Looked around... knew nothing about this site.. and overpaid($4500) for a Arizona, rust free, 112,000 mile, red 88 GT automatic with a bad repaint, partially siezed calipers, bad tires, and leaky everything.

I love this car.
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgDirect Link to This Post
The first time that I drove one at the age of 17, but especially when I found this site and saw what potential the Fiero had with all of the body mods and engine upgrades.
GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNDirect Link to This Post
What inspired me to buy my first Fiero? A 1974 Jensen Healey that was rusting away out from underneath me and a love (need) for 2 seat sports cars! That was 23 years ago next month and I still have that Fiero. OH you silly people, of course that's not my only Fiero.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
The cool thing to do locally is autocross. Texas A&M's Riverside Annex is composed of 3 WWII runways that form a triangle. The area known as the 4-10 split is the largest piece of autocrossable concrete in Texas. We could literally run a 120 second course if we wanted.

Anyways, I autocross prepared my 2000 Trans Am WS6 and started getting better at driving it. I got good enough to see how a wide 3500lb car with a straight axle isn't good for autocross without some Hoosiers. I rode in an MR2 one day and realized that it was built for this sort of thing, however, I'm not an import guy. I had been toying with the idea of an LS1 Fiero, but found it to be too expensive to build. When I heard of the supercharged 3800 swap, I knew it was for me. I went on Craigslist and bought a nearby 88 GT that was cheap and a junker.

It was meant as an educational experience. I didn't know anything about cars when I bought the T/A, so I made it a bolt-on project. Now the Fiero goes to the next step and needs electrical work, cooling work, custom brackets, fabrication, problem solving, etc. I imagine that my next project will be from the ground up.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT "Rolling Thunder"
Restoration Project
Soon to have 3800 SC III
"I'm a Rolling Thunder and a Pouring Rain... I'm coming on like a Hurricane - ACDC"

[This message has been edited by Rolling Thunder (edited 06-11-2009).]

02greens10

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 02greens10Send a Private Message to 02greens10Direct Link to This Post
This kid I went to school with dad had quite a few cars. He would pick his son up with a notchback fiero every once in awhile. I didn't even know what it was, and didnt care(not into cars), but my dad knew what it was. Another guy in my highschool class dad had a '85gt with 4k miles that he got from his dad. Original owners. I remember he would talk about it ocassionaly at school, but didnt know the name associated with the car sort of thing.

About 1 and a half years ago I was having trouble sleeping so i did a late night craigslist auto binge. I was lookin gfor chevy truck parts, but at the end I was just looking at the whole auto listing and saw a Fiero for $400. I thought, "Ive heard of those and it has a pic why not?" Wow, rear wheel drive, stick shift, looks simple(4cyl) I need one. Quick search for just fiero I spotted a ton for cheap so parts are easy, I must get one now. Wiki'd it and sawmore on it. Decided I liked the v6 ones better, so I looked at alot of them that Summer. 2 years ago it seemed like any running fiero was $1500+ with a lot of problems and miles. i looked everyday at cleveland and columbus, ebay. I eventually ended up with 2 junkers for real cheap and decided to build up my own. Now I wish I waited because now Fieros seem worthless now with the economy.
rda738

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rda738Send a Private Message to rda738Direct Link to This Post
LOVE shape, size, mostly driving, have had 4 / 85 SE, 86 GT, 87GT, now 88 Formula
86GTFastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GTFastbackSend a Private Message to 86GTFastbackDirect Link to This Post
My brother had one sitting while he was working on his "baby". I was driving the families hyundai (actually not a bad car, I put two new front ends on it and it still drives well - different story). One summer afternoon I thought, "heck, I wonder if he would let me take it around the block?" He did, and thats when the bug hit. I drove it as much as I could after that. That may be also why I love the T-tops as well.

Additionally, less that a month later - It threw a rod, I guess you can't push a 200k engine hard for long. ;-)
PFF
System Bot
Onefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OnefieroSend a Private Message to OnefieroDirect Link to This Post
I was on a small road trip and i spotted the ugliest junkyard fiero. I was far away but i could see the beautiful body line of the car. Didnt even know what a fiero was but about 6 months later i found one online and bought. i love it
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
Seeing Fie Ro standing next to the wreckage of his fiero in a 50-60mph crash with a tree. (Granted, with a cast, but standing there) How many other cars can you say that about? That's when I decided the Fiero is safe.

Cool, thanks..!

I think I first saw a Fiero in Amsterdam around 1996..found more info about the 'Fiero' on the "new" internet thingie and started to get hooked ... got my first one in 1997, crashed it a few years later ^^ and got my current Fiero...Although mine has become my sketchbook and far from stock I still like stock Fiero's and their appearance..
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
I had an 85 Notchie Automatic years ago (might have been an 84). No go but loved to corner. I always wondered what a car like that would do with a real engine. I like the cockpit feel to it too.

The other car aspiration I had was to build a nice engine to put in a car. It didn't really work out for me cause most of the cars you put a go fast engine in won't corner. When I heard that y'all were putting 3800SC engines in a Fiero I was done. A cool, go fast engine, with a blower no less!! Gotta have it. Went right out and got an 88 GT. Been collecting swap parts, planning to get it done this winter.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2009 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

I think my story falls on the heavy shoulders of Fate! In my early youth, sure it was Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Bugatti..... Mostly my love was for the first 4 yrs of the Mustang.... I bought almost every book ever written, heck I even had a '68 coupe that was hot rodded out a bit.. Then one warm July '96 I went to my local magazine seller to check out the new Mustang Monthly and to see if there was any news on my "other" fav. car manufacturers......

When I got there I went straght towards to the Mustang mag., after checking out that, I had this feeling........ Why not check out the rest of the car mags, I thought..... WHAMOOO!!! The first mag I saw was a kitcar mag..... Now I had seen one fiero during High School, a fastback, I thought they were cool looking, but then I didn't see the potential in the car...... This mag and I locked eyes and we just stared at each other with me smiling, finally when I had the notion to pick it up..... Most of my body sensation was on my left arm as I picked it up........ There on the cover was the ZR-2 by PISA corp...... I flicked through it a bit and saw that this lowly little fiero had MUCH more potential then Hot Rod's or Muscle Cars.....

Earlier, back when I had the '68 coupe, I had also been into racing, especially INDY.... To me with my Mustang affair, mid-engine cars were all the rage, though the ones I knew of were all waaaaaay to exspensive for me...... Graduated in '95..... To be honest even though there was a guy whom had a fiero in High School, I didn't know back then that the car was a mid-engine car...... Well, early on in the race year of '96 a cousin of mind had told me that mid-engine cars can out handle front engine.... I forget why though.... With all these mustang mags and books, I was versed in what was out there for the car, but after hearing that from my cousin, I fell depressed..... I didn't want a straight line performer, I wanted the all around performer, espically in the twisties!

Back to the Kitcar Mag.... That first one I bought, which I still have, took that home and read the whole thing front to back.... AND SAID DAYYYYYUM..... At first I sooooo wanted a ferrari 355 kitcar, still do, but now I like the idea of keeping it looking like a fiero, to pay homage to this great lil car........ While also customizing it to match my tastes. It wouldn't be till '98 that I bought my first fiero....... An '88 coupe! WOW! What an amazing time there was with that car.... She didn't have the power I liked, but that '88 suspension was a dream come true.... I still think that the bump steer was never conquered with the fiero, perhaps, IMHO, becuz she is a lil bit too short... Right then and there I've loved Fiero's and will always love them!!!

Thanx all for listening.......

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Chris Hodson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
The first time I saw my fiero was when i was about 15, its was a POS. I was on roller blades down town and this thing floored past me, no exhaust - low to the ground - crappy paint but the coolest car ive ever seen haha. I found it in a friends yard when I was 17 and bought it for $300. Since then Its got a new interior, new rims, archie rockers, new suspension, 2 engine swaps and 1 paint job, one more on the way.

Fiero88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero88GTSend a Private Message to Fiero88GTDirect Link to This Post
i was looking for a car to replace my mustang and one day someone told me that there was a fiero for sale at a body shop and i went by it and fell in love. the day i went by it i stopped by and checked it out then i came back the next day and bought it. i ended up keeping the mustang though as a back up car.

------------------

aim- Fiero88GT12

Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
Vicodin.

No, seriously, I wanted a car to play with. I wanted it to be fun not practicle. I decided something 2 seat mid or rear engine fit the bill. I liked Fieros alot in the 80's and really wanted one back then. I liked the first gen MR2 also so it was a possibility. There were a couple of others I looked into but they wern't easy to find in good condition in my price range. I found a few Fieros and MR2s in my area and checked them out. The Fiero was the best for the money so I got it.
Ramsespride

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RamsesprideSend a Private Message to RamsesprideDirect Link to This Post
well my freshman year to junior year i got picked up in my "tutors" 85 base notchie and loved the way she could drive it so naturally i bugged my parents about getting my License but at the time i couldnt afford the class (yeah i had to pay for it).

Come to surprise one day after getting home from a very "productive XD" "study" period i see a black 85 notchie in my driveway jacked up getting a tire rotation. My stepdad had a 87 and an 88 gt back in the day and picked up the Ol' Renegade for his commute(95mi one way) when gas was 4bucks a gallon. I instantly knew it would someday be mine if i waited patiently and kept up my good grades (positive reinforcement ) and then it died on the way to work one morning, sat for a year in the driveway collecting Mirror bees and grass collecting on the calipers until January of this year when eh said, you want it take it!

after much trial and tribulation it runs great and will HOPEFULLY soon be going to PFF member Faaaaaaaaaaaaaq for a decent price and then i can get the 87 notchie and do the engine swap and body swap ive been dreaming of since the first day i rode to my tutors house.
Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Having a corvette that didn't break down.
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
In 1985, a girl I was dating at the time bought one and I spent more time in it than she did. I didn't really think about them that seriously again until 1995 when someone gave me the title to one as collateral for a loan. He never redeemed it and, voila, I had my first Fiero.

I've had 3 others since then in various stages of disrepair and my current car is essentially a combination of all of them.
PFF
System Bot
batousai666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batousai666Send a Private Message to batousai666Direct Link to This Post
Just one look, was all it took......

that coupled with the demise of the Pontiac brand the same week, made me bid on it.....
best Ebay buy ever!

Daniel
Mera X
GMplastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GMplasticSend a Private Message to GMplasticDirect Link to This Post
Always liked two seat sports cars.

I literally grew up with Corvettes, having my first ride in one at age 7 on November 23, 1963...a red split window coupe that a family friend brought over from the Chevrolet dealership he worked at for my dad to try out. I remember it because it was the day after President Kennedy was assassinated.
Our next door neighbors son had a Porshe and another one of my dad's friends had a Jag XKE that he let me drive as soon as I got my driver's learning permit.
I had been driving for over 12 years before the Fiero was even introduced. A co-worker had a 2m4, but had a lot of trouble with it. He purchased it "almost new." What he didn't realize until it was too late, was that it had been in a wreck and not straightened properly.
It looked like it was going down the road sideways (from behind) and he couldn't keep tires on it.
Time passed, I got married, had two kids and the oldest started looking for cars when he was 14. In 2001 we bought his first car . . . a yellow 87 fiero gt. (yellow87fierogt is his nick on here) It had been a stolen/wrecked/recovery/rebuild. We made it from South of Minneapolis to where we live (near Duluth), but barely. It was overheating, backfiring, having electrical issues of assorted varieties, but he was in love with it.
He worked his butt of sanding it down, priming it, cleaning this and that. We repainted it in the garage in the fall. The heat failed in the garage while it was drying, so we had to do part of it over again. Over time we worked through all of its issues...most of them from the previous owner doing "bandaid" repair jobs until there were bandaids on the bandaids.
It fueled a love for cars in him that has taken him through college, and into a career in the auto industry. All the while, he is still driving that Fiero, which now has more that 240,000 miles on it. He still drives it nearly every day and takes the 780 mile trip from the Detroit area to Duluth, through Michigan's Upper Peninsula several times a year.
In the process, I got hooked and purchased a white 86 gt from a guy I work with. LaFierte (my youngest son) was hit by a speeding SUV on his way to school last fall in the 86 and the insurance company totaled that car. The SUV was not drivable after the accident. The Fiero (hit in the rear end) was driveable. His laptop was in the trunk, and while it took a pry bar to get it out, was not damaged.
We have also acquired a gold 87 gt auto, a black 87 5 speed gt, a black 88 Mera, and a red 86 4 speed gt. They all came with various interesting problems to deal with, but are now all in great shape mechanically, although the Mera is kind of rough cosmetically.
I still have Corvettes, even the '64 that I drove when I was going to college. But the Fieros are pure fun. I can also buy about 10 of them for the price of one classic Corvette. Interestingly enough, Lafierte parked the red 86 GT next to my red 64 Corvette coupe at a recent car show. Guess which car drew the most attention from the show-goers? You're right! The Fiero by a margin of at least 2:1!
fiamma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiammaSend a Private Message to fiammaDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, sounds really good, good handling with mid-engine, made in USA.
DL10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
My Wife............ see saw this TV commercial for this cute little red car. I ordered and bought a Red 1984 SE 2M4 a few days later.
I traded that for a new 86 GT, then came the 88 GT followed by the Predator and the GBCT. Funny thing is she never liked driving them.......
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stumpkin:

Why I have a Fiero

When I was a young man in the Navy I had an Orange 1972 Opel GT. It was too impractical as a primary car & space was limited to one car, so the Opel GT had to go. When I retired from the Navy I wanted another Opel GT. I couldn’t afford one in great condition. Knowing my mechanical & body working abilities (or lack of) I knew I could not do justice to a restorable one. So I started to look around at other two-seaters. The Fiero’s were plentiful in good condition so I decided to find one the year my oldest child was born. That would be a 1987model, I ended up with an 1986 model as it exactly what I was looking for as far as color engine/transmission & options.

So now I have an 86 Red S/E 2m6, wing, Sunroof, 5sp, pw, cc, ac, + more with less then 28k. I most likely paid too much for it. I have had it for over two years now & I still love it. I would do it again! This is way better then the Opel GT as so many parts are still available from other GM cars. It is also good family fun as we have taken it to a few car shows. I'm enjoying how many people don't know what it is at the shows. Most likely the Fiero will never be destined to be an expensive collector car. However as it gets older I believe it will show better anyway. No matter what we will just keeping having fun with it.

I was looking for an inexpensive hobby car and I thought an Opel GT would be nice. I had a 74 Opel Manta coupe in college and actually owned another one which was a 72, but always wanted a GT model. When I started looking for one 3 yrs ago, I realized how tough it would be to maintain a 40 yr old import and somehow I stumbled on the Fiero which had great parts interchangeability. When I found this forum, I knew I had an great resource for info, so I started searching Ebay. I realized I was not comfortable buying off Ebay, so I turned to cars.com and I found two GT's that were about 100 miles from me. I drove up and sat in my first Fiero ever which was an 87 GT auto and it drove good but needed brakes. On the same day I drove an 88GT that was pristeen with 40k miles and the owner was a mechanic at a GM dealer. Having spent some time lurking here, I knew the 88's were more desireable, so I bought it and have been very happy with it for 3 yrs.
Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
My fiirst 'new' cars were a '65 Sunbeam Tiger and the a '70 Datsun 240Z. Got married in '71 and after that everything was downhill definitely carwise and otherways too.. Wife stopped working and never returned so it was used functional station wagons for me until 2000 when my kid wrecked my next to last wagon; although I still have a '93 Cavalier that I use for recycling, Fiero parts and hauling the wife to the doctors bascially. I 'discovered' the Fiero while sitting on the john in my late father-in-laws basement in 1983 reading Popular Mechanics and being impressed by their reports on the mill and drill build process on the new little 2 seater RWD. Unable to afford one until my son's accident gave me the impetus to say 'screw this, the next car is just for me'. I have always loved two seaters, (although if I was rich I would drive an Ariel Atom, 1 seat, in the summer) so I went looking for neat affordable cars and looked at Merkurs, Maitas, MR2's and the Fiero. The Fiero was the most appealing and had the least resale value it seemed. Bought my first one in October 2000 from a guy with a bunch of toys and twin daughters getting ready to start college. His wife said get rid of some of your toys and especially 'that Fiero'. I paid $2800 for a 28k 85GT and I was hooked. I've had 10 cars but by winter I'll be down to six keepers. 88 Coupe and Formula (both black), rare 87 4cyl/5spd SE blue, 85 GT Silver (still with only 46k) high mile 87 SE 6cyl roadster project car for next year and my current project a 87 Coupe that Pontiac Kid is helping with a fastback clip and 6cyl swap that will be a GM light blue with dark blue interior and chrome or chrome PC lace wheels complete mostly this fall with paint by spring..I love my Fieros and drive one every day but even though they are well kept and maintained, I consider them 'daily drivers' and not 'show cars', .

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own eight....errr...nine."

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
After having a sand buggy and a baja bug, and seeing all the kits that went on VW's, then came along the Fieros and although I liked the stock version with its wide console and low 2-seater appeal, soon they were the new base for kits. Fast forward to when my 89 Grand Am died, that was my chance to get a Fiero. I found an 88GT, but I never had the bucks to do the kit thing. Home ownership kept my pockets empty.

My current Fiero was bought from my son when he was being sent to Okinawa. But things wear out on Fieros and I'm tired of fighting a losing battle. I'll never afford a swap, a paint job, or even just maintaining a daily driver for that matter. So I'm ready to sell this one to someone who can take care of it and use it and have some fun with it.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraDirect Link to This Post
Back home and around 1984, my best friend's dad had a Talbot-Matra, a 3 (yes, it had a seat in the middle) seater mid-engine car that sort of looks like a fastback. He gave me a ride one day and I was amazed how he would take the turns and I could hear the engine accelerating. I asked him how can he do that and he replied "because of the position of the engine in the car". I asked " were is it"? He said "right behind you". Since then I've been wanting a mid engine car. Then I saw a Fiero TV comercial in '85 when the V6 was introduced and my jaw just dropped, "That is the one I want" I said. And 25 years later, that is the one that I have.
http://upload.wikimedia.org...rena_90PS_1981_1.jpg
This is the Talbot, and in the same color as I remember! Count the seats.

[This message has been edited by La fiera (edited 08-30-2010).]

HausFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HausFieroSend a Private Message to HausFieroDirect Link to This Post
Honestly for me it all started with running across a pic of a baja fiero on the Internet, then I loooked more into fieros and saw all the amazing and crazy things people have done with them. All the cosmetic and powertrain changes and what not. Thats where the obsession started. And I decided i really wanted one. That was about 3 years ago. A little over a year ago my grampa passed away and soon aftr that I bought my fiero project (sub conciously to feel like he's still with me sort of) because he used to do stuff like that. And that's my story.
The MaD cOw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The MaD cOwSend a Private Message to The MaD cOwDirect Link to This Post
A buddy of mine worked washing cars (or as he called it, a "detail technician") at a chrysler dealer. I was 15 or 16 at the time, and saw one parked out back for the first time. It was a basket case '85 GT. I had no idea what it was at the time, but loved it as soon as I saw it. ...mainly based on it being so different from every other car out there. It had two ash trays! ...how often do you see that?! I'm now on my 3rd.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBDirect Link to This Post
Well, not much inspiration..... really

When I got my first Fiero, I was looking for a cheap car to use for work. I came across a Fiero in the AutoTrader, and figured if I am gonna get a cheap car, at least I can get something sporty It was an 84, and was not in the best of shape! Not knowing any better back then, I was always concerned that it was just gonna burst into flames at any moment while driving it LOL! I carried a fire extinguisher on the passenger floor board It served it;s purpose for a couple years, till I bought my first new car I sold it to a friend, that sold it to a friend, and lost track of it.

It's funny I saw this thread tonight, as I just ran across a photo of it while doing some external hard drive backing up and cleaning.

Now, fast forward 15 years, and I am doing it right this time Completely restoring an 86 GT fastback.... Gonna be a sweet ride when...er....* IF * I ever get it done
BobJones97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobJones97Send a Private Message to BobJones97Direct Link to This Post
Yellowstone.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id driven my AMG Mercedes SL for almost 12 years and was just getting tired of it. Id been looking at real Ferrari 308/328s. I accidently discovered Ferrari kit cars of those. Ferrari costs are astronomical for upkeep from what Id researched and I immediately got a decent used Fiero. When I took the Mercedes to Carlisle for the Import/kitcar show that spring, I found an unused 308 kit for 1/2 price that I immediately bought. I came home saturday nite and went right to U Haul to rent a box truck to come back and pick it up. I had it hillbillied and on the road in less than a month. Then I proceeded to redo it right a little at a time. After 2 years it looked great. Enjoyed it for about 7 years. Second one came just because I was tired of seeing and hearing ricecrap. I thought about now I knew all about Fieros having built one from ground up and decided to make it a stock body with a hipo V8 to kick their azzes. So thats the stories on my 2.
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Grew up loving mid engine sports cars, but they were always high priced dream cars. Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Porsche. In 83, I'd been driving for 6 yrs, and I knew all about the new Fiero. I got the chance to drive one, a rental, a 4 cyl (naturally) with an auto. That thing was anemic. No power, and so-so handling. I wrote off Fieros. Around the early 90's, I was at an autocross. There were several Fieros there, and they performed about as I expected, which was, not very well. Except for one. A white Formula that set FTD (fast time of the day). That peaked my interest, so I went and talked to the owner. It turned out that he was a former national champion (not in a Fiero), and he told me about all the improvements in the 88's. So I set about trying to find a Formula, but gave up after having no luck for a couple of years (this was before AutoTrader and ebay). Then one day on a bicycle ride I came across one. I thought about for a couple of days, then went and looked at it. After getting it inspected by my national champion autocross friend, I bought it.
CARLSV8GT

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CARLSV8GTSend a Private Message to CARLSV8GTDirect Link to This Post
kid knows why i bought mine, i was surfin youtube,saw a fiero goin sideways down the interstate,and had to know how that was possible,,5 fieros later ..................carl
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Originally I was an F-body type of person, bought our yellow 88 GT for the wife (that is what she wanted) and I didn’t really get interested in the car until we formed the local Fiero club with another fellow about 5 years later. 19 years later we now have his and her Fieros (still the 88 GT) - although I still have a 78 Firebird.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock