Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Just another 3800 turbo project (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Just another 3800 turbo project by AkursedX
Started on: 01-22-2009 10:56 PM
Replies: 60
Last post by: White88Formula on 08-08-2010 02:45 PM
AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2009 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Thats really nice! I hope you bring it around some shows this summer and maybe to the annual London Ontario show. I'd love to hear/see it in person. Good choice on the red colour too, my valve covers are about the same colour.

(btw, kind of off topic, but where did you get your rims... 5zigen's right?)

We'll see what kind of shows I get to this year. Unfortunately I work most weekends so it makes it difficult. I know I have a few weekends off in august, so maybe one of them will be the London show.

The wheels are 5Zigen. I bought them through Edge Racing. Unfortunately they went out of business last month. It's a shame because they were awesome to deal with. You can still order 5zigen wheels through www.discounttiredirect.com Some are special order though.

IP: Logged
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2009 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Looking really sharp Joe. And nice work Ryan. That powdercoat we did matches your engine perfect. Looks amazing. I just hope that intercooler is efficient enough being located down there, for you to give me a run for my money . Rule of thumb on intercoolers, you know when you drive down the road at 60 mph and stick your hand out the window and feel the air pressure? Thats the amount of air flow you need for an intercooler to stay cool, and stay efficient.

Im excited to see some dyno numbers though, should be a wicked ride

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2009 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroX:

Looking really sharp Joe. And nice work Ryan. That powdercoat we did matches your engine perfect. Looks amazing. I just hope that intercooler is efficient enough being located down there, for you to give me a run for my money . Rule of thumb on intercoolers, you know when you drive down the road at 60 mph and stick your hand out the window and feel the air pressure? Thats the amount of air flow you need for an intercooler to stay cool, and stay efficient.

Im excited to see some dyno numbers though, should be a wicked ride

Thanks for the kind words. And yes, I was extremely suprised that the powdercoating came out exactly the same. Especially when you factor in that it was a candy color too.

I doubt I'll be seeing 10's soon though. Even if I somehow manage to have enough hp to get me into that territory, I doubt I'll be able to hook good enough to get there. I think you know more than anyone else here how important traction is when you start dipping below 11.5. As for the intercooler, I'm taking a wait and see approach. What you can't see in the pics are two fans above the IC to prevent heatsoak at idle and slow speeds and hopefully the airdam will deflect enough air to be efficient at higher speeds. I do think that this is going to effect dyno numbers though, but there's not much that I'll be able to do about that. But this is all speculation, which I hate. Which is why I'll have dyno numbers and track times asap.
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I'm picking my Fiero up tomorrow!!! I can't wait!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2009 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Good to hear! Updated pictures and some video is in order

Can't wait to see the dyno numbers and track times too!

------------------

AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
Well, she's home. It's awesome. I thought the l67 swap was great, and this is 10-times better.

From 0-60, I'm willing to bet to bet that the acceleration is similar to the old setup, but after that, It's not even close. It pulls so freaking hard and doesn't let up! And I'm only at 12psi! I did a 70-110 run that just blew my mind.

I will also add that the car actually sounds good now! The turbo really mellows out the raspiness that 3800's have. It sounds nice at idle and at WOT it sounds VIOLENT. I love it. Cabin noise at cruising speed has also decreased dramatically.

I am really happy with the outcome of this build. I have to now spend some time learning the ins and outs of the MAFT-pro, turn up the boost a bit and adjust my tune a bit.

I have a couple of videos that my buddy took while we were driving back. They aren't anything great. Most are 70-100 runs, but I think you'll enjoy them.

http://s105.photobucket.com...current=MVI_0213.flv

http://s105.photobucket.com...current=MVI_0218.flv
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2009 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
The vids look good, I'm sending you a pm...

Sphynx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!
Now get that beast on a dyno and a track and lets see some numbers.
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sphynx:

Looks good!
Now get that beast on a dyno and a track and lets see some numbers.

The track doesn't open till April 4th The dyno numbers should be a week or two. I have a lot of new things to get used to/test/re-tune to my tastes. I do have to put my own touch on things too.

------------------
'88 GT- 257rwhp 319rwft/lbs (9/07) 12.657@110.19mph 1/4 mile (8/08)
gmtuners.com

Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Any updates? How's the car coming along? It's the 10th of April
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Any updates? How's the car coming along? It's the 10th of April

The car is running well. I'm still dialing in things though. I've had to do a lot of experimenting around with things. I've had to take care of a lot of little things. Tuning, experimenting with wastegate settings, adding a BOV, adding a boost gauge and other things I'm sure. I have run it up to ~15-16psi with no issues. I've had other issues to take care of too. My fuel gauge flipped out and I have to run out a pick up a new dimmer transistor because my gauges went out last night.

No dyno or track time yet. Unfortunately my job has got in the way of being able to schedule time for either event. At the earliest, I might get to Milan on the 22nd. But I will have it on the dragstrip by the beginning of May.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo
gmtuners.com

PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I hate it when we spend more time keeping the fiero part living and breathing, than working on our engine swap.

What is the current opinion on the translator? Is it working the way you hoped yet?
slinger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slingerSend a Private Message to slingerDirect Link to This Post
vballman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vballmanClick Here to visit vballman's HomePageSend a Private Message to vballmanDirect Link to This Post
Damn what a set up! Excellent job!
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post
I realize that I haven't updated this in a bit. The car is pretty much done with sorting out all of the little things. I still do have a couple of small things to do, but as most Fiero owners know, there is ALWAYS a few small things to do.

I installed the BOV a while ago. It took a bit of time to get set up properly but it works just fine now and there's no more annoying fluttering, just a nice "PSSSSHHH" when I let off the gas.

Pic:

Here's a pic of all of my gauges. It's kind of cluttered, but everything is viewable and accessible. I got a few ideas for some changes but that won't happen until the winter.
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I also installed my TurboXS manual boost controller. I must say that this MBC is pretty nice and makes boost control adjustment a breeze. I don't have any pics of it yet and it's raining so I'm not walking outside to the garage to snap a pic of it.

Most importantly, I went to the track this past Saturday. I must say that I am pleasantly suprised with the results. I am trapping 116mph on 12psi (Street boost level)!!!

Here is a pic of my best slip of the day (I'm car 213)

I am happy that I am in the 11's! I am even more happy with my trap speed! I would like to note that you should not pay attention to the 1/8mph. This track always reads the 1/8mph about 4-5mph faster than any other track I've been on. But the 119mph was done on only 14.5psi! I wasn't happy with my 60fts though. My best was only a 1.90.

I turned the boost up to ~16psi and did one more run. I ended up losing traction and had to completely let off the gas. I straightened out and got back on it and still trapped 119mph! If I had kept traction I probably would have broke the 120mph mark.

Drag radials are the next mod. I hope to have them on for the next time I go to the strip.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.864@ 119.6mph
gmtuners.com

FieroFiend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2009 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Mildly jealous
Sphynx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SphynxSend a Private Message to SphynxDirect Link to This Post
Bump.
It's been a year since you'd have it back. How does it run? Any new changes?
AkursedX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2010 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXDirect Link to This Post

Bump.
It's been a year since you'd have it back. How does it run? Any new changes?

I don't have much to update.

I did run faster in the 1/4 mile. My new fastest ET is 11.654. I have also eclipsed the 120mph barrier a few times. I have added this video to other threads, but here's my Fiero beating a new Z06 at the drag strip:

The only thing I changed in regards to the swap was my fuel pump. I ended up destroying my fuel pump during the woodward dream cruise last year. The fuel got so hot, it started to vaporize which resulted in the pump running dry and damaging it. I upgraded to a Toyota Supra Denso fuel pump and it is AWESOME!

I have many small projects to complete right now. New taillight lenses, new carpet, sound deadening, new headunit amp and sub.

Besides that, the only thing that is somewhat in the works is adding power steering. Darth Fiero and I are going to switch a few parts on each others car since his setup still has a P/S pump on it. From there, I will get the West Coast Fiero F-body rack adapters.

------------------
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T.- 11.654 Best MPH-120.65
gmtuners.com -Build info

RockRunner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RockRunnerSend a Private Message to RockRunnerDirect Link to This Post
Holy smokes!!! thats one heckuva Fiero!! great job on the build guys.

thats right along the line of where i will be taking mine. i added this to my favs' for good info on the subject.

------------------
No man that fishes is a failure

thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2010 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Love the car... If I had a fastback thats exactly how it would look. Bright red, black accents and dark wheels hiding some monster brakes. wingless. Love it.

Gotta love the synapse parts I got the BOV and love it and will use the wastegate when I upgrade to an external wastegate system.

Enjoy!
White88Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2010 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White88FormulaSend a Private Message to White88FormulaDirect Link to This Post
If you dont mind me asking how much did this swap cost from Sinister Performance?
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock