Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  A new spin on old 4.9 valve covers. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
A new spin on old 4.9 valve covers. by Rickady88GT
Started on: 02-14-2008 06:27 PM
Replies: 56
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 06-20-2010 01:21 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I am doing a 4.9 swap and had to do the valve covers, so this is what I did.

I have seen the swapped covers, but I like the ribs all the way across the cover. I also think the "dent" in the front cover works great under the deck lid hinge mount. So I left the covers were they are and painted one of them The other cover will need to come off and get painted next. I wanted to try this one first before I did them both.
I cut a hole for the oil fill and used a Fiero oil fill cap. BUT in my style of "If there is a hard way to do it, find a harder way" I did not like the different oil viscosity rating on the Fiero cap so I disassembled the 4.9 cap and Fiero cap. I put the stock 4.9 threaded part of the cap back into the valve cover as a plug. Then I JB welded the TOP of the 4.9 cap to the BOTTOM of the Fiero cap. Now the 4.9 cap is on the Fiero cap in the back 4.9 valve cover.

Does that make sense?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 02-14-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

When I did my 4.5 install many years ago, I also kept the notched valve cover on the front... just fits perfect under the decklid hinge. However, I did not mess with moving the oil fill.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
I like it!!!!!

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 02-14-2008).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
This is the "Front cover" in its original position with the oil fill cap threads screwed into the valve cover. It only functions as a plug now. I did not want a fill cap on both covers. I plan to paint it with the cover so it will be totally disguised under the rear window.

The engine is on the cradle with a rear clip bolted to the cradle for ease of modding the mounts before it went in the car.

The tops of both oil fill caps. The one with white letters is the original V6 Fiero cap, the one on the right with yellow letters is the original 4.9 oil fill cap.

This is a view of the two caps turned over. The Fiero cap on the left has ribs that were used to glue the top of the cap to the "threads" at the bottom of the cap. The cap on the right is the hybrid 4.9 top and Fiero bottom JB welded together. The fit of the 4.9 to the Fiero cap is actually better now than they were stock.

J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, adds a nice touch.

------------------
If you can not run with the big dogs, stay on the porch!

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I love the mock up chassis...
Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
Love the valve covers... looks like mine lol... minus the fiero decal

------------------

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a build thread? I'd love to see some pics.

I got some more I'm gonna do before I'm completly done with this cover.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Looks similar to the ones that Watts did up for my 4.9 You have no idea how many people look into the engine bay and see Fiero V8 PFI and tell me how they never knew a Fiero came stock with a V8.

------------------
85GT 5spd ,93 Eldorado 4.9 Dual O2 Custom Chip, Archie Clutch. Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything 245/50/16's Not Your Average 4.9 Capt Fiero Com --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Stock.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-14-2008).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2008 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow nice job.
I used a dremel tool to grind out all the little screw bosses and then filled the detents with a metal patch. Other than that, your rear cover looks a lot like my front cover

I painted the cover in three steps. First I primed with a high temp black, then metal flake silver like the stock Caddy cover, then taped the ribs off and last the high temp red. Take off the tape and there you go faux polished aluminum.

Puckhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckheadSend a Private Message to PuckheadDirect Link to This Post
Your doing a 4.9 swap??? (quickly bookmarking now) I LOVE what you did with the shortstar. I cant wait to see what you do with a 4.9.

PS Im assuming it's going in another car right?
-T
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Puckhead:

Your doing a 4.9 swap??? (quickly bookmarking now) I LOVE what you did with the shortstar. I cant wait to see what you do with a 4.9.

PS Im assuming it's going in another car right?
-T

COOL, Thanks.
This is is a little different from others already. But it wont be anything like the S*. I just want to sell the car. So I am doing a 4.9 swap to help it move. I may hold on to it for a while first to get the V8 Fiero feel before I move on to another swap. The goal is a CA smog legal 4.9 4 speed auto with Corvette power steering in a Black 88GT with Beachwood Leather.

I have not decided on a build thread. But I did pist some pics during my research stage. I hope I can resist overdoing this project

jackcastro

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2008 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jackcastroSend a Private Message to jackcastroDirect Link to This Post
Hi. I am doing a 4.9 swap and need nice valve covers. Does anyone offer these valve covers for sale? Thanks.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2008 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jackcastro:

Hi. I am doing a 4.9 swap and need nice valve covers. Does anyone offer these valve covers for sale? Thanks.

There is no real need to buy them, they are very easy to make. If you have a V6 Fiero, take off the oil fill cap and look at the hole in the cover. There are no threds and the cap only has ears to hold it on the cover. All I did was dril a hole with a hole saw then a dremel tool to cut out the flat spots. You can use the stock V6 Fiero cap if you want, just make sure you use the right oil for the V8 and not the oil for the V6. Now if I were to do this again , I would fill the area around the hole with metal patch so the O ring will have a better seal. The fit is so close that I dont think I will have a problem.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is a little more work done. I changed the thermostat housing and heater bypass for a cleaner look.

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I love that you have the back half of a Fiero sitting in your yard to mock up your swap in.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

I love that you have the back half of a Fiero sitting in your yard to mock up your swap in.

MUCH easier than lifting the car and putting the drive train in and out several times. The front and rear fire walls are removable and the cradle is on blocks. So the only bolts holding the rear clip on are the two front hinge bolts. I can lift up the clip like a hatch to make adjustments or just remove the fire walls.

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work. I have an extra of that valve cover I may have to play with a bit. Thanks for sharing.
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
What's that green stuff on the ground in all of your pictures? Ohh, wait a minute I think I remember what that stuff is, it's hidden under a bunch of white stuff around here! Sorry, it's been a long winter.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2008 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

What's that green stuff on the ground in all of your pictures? Ohh, wait a minute I think I remember what that stuff is, it's hidden under a bunch of white stuff around here! Sorry, it's been a long winter.

Ha Ha I cant kill that stuff

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I am doing a 4.9 swap and had to do the valve covers, so this is what I did.

You want to do mine??

And thanks for the idea of what to do with that extra back end of a Fiero in my back yard.

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

You want to do mine??

And thanks for the idea of what to do with that extra back end of a Fiero in my back yard.

The turned bypass and invisible fuel lines too
I said I would not get to deep in this swap, but that just don't seem to be me. It just kept bugging me to see crap covering the valve cover. I used the 4 banger T stat housing and cut it up then welded it back together so it is at about the same angle as the stock V6 housing and aimed the hose barb towards the distributor just a tad. I guess I could use either a Fiero T stat or Caddy T stat, but I will keep the Caddy T stat. Then cut off the bypass barb, cut out about .5" and re-welded it towards the tranny. That way the hose does not go over the valve cover. I have the rear side fuel rail in the machine shop getting re-welded/silver soldered. I disassembled it to relocate the fuel supply and return so they don't go over the valve cover. The fuel lines will now run under the distributor and then back towards the fire wall out of view. I plan to run the fuel lines up the center of the fire wall from the the tank. I also changed the injector wire harness to hide it from view.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 03-08-2008).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Is this a standard HEI GM distributor cap? Can I get Red wires and Cap?

------------------

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Yes it is a standard HEI cap. One version has screws and the other has sring loaded clasps. Red should be an easy color to get from MSD or Mallory. You can get a cut to fit plug wire set in red, blue, black, or yellow and cut them for a perfect fit and allows custom routing of wires.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
new pics.
I did these mods to show off the rear valve cover. I just could not tolerate the stuff over the rear cover.

The modified fuel pipes. I cut the big hex nut out of the fuel rail and moved it closer to the distributor to hide the fuel lines.

Short Stick dip sticks.
This is how I have done all my 60/65E tranny and oil dippers.

Brake booster pipe. This will allow me to hide the booster hose.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 03-12-2008).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
That is absolutely brilliant. If I decide to do a 4.9 on my 87 GT, I may just copy what you've done
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I just could not stand anything covering the valve cover. So I had to do a few mods to uncover the cover

BTW how far are you from Brentwood?
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, I just could not stand anything covering the valve cover. So I had to do a few mods to uncover the cover

BTW how far are you from Brentwood?

Brentwood is just south of Nashville. So it is like a 2.5 hour drive, following posted speed limits
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topher_time:

Brentwood is just south of Nashville. So it is like a 2.5 hour drive, following posted speed limits

OK. cool, I have a buddy over there. Just thought I'd ask.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Wow! I didn't think that a 4.9 could look that good. Where are all the wires??
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Wow! I didn't think that a 4.9 could look that good. Where are all the wires??

The wire harness is not on it in the pics, BUT will not be much of an addition. I plan on doing a Rockcrawl Shaker Hood Scoop and hide the harness and extra electronics. But a remote purge and other tidbits can be remote mounted.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
rdprowse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdprowseSend a Private Message to rdprowseDirect Link to This Post
I like the valve covers so much I'm trying to do the same. What did you use to make the hole for the oil fill?
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rdprowse:

I like the valve covers so much I'm trying to do the same. What did you use to make the hole for the oil fill?

Looks great... but for those of us that are challenged, we need a step by step "how to" with photos.

------------------
FierOmar

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
wow, thoes look Great!!

------------------
WTB: tan floormats

AIM:Onefast2M8
MSN Onefast2M6@hotmail.com
86 GT SC 3800 Intercooled
07 G6 GTP

Fierotaz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotazSend a Private Message to FierotazDirect Link to This Post
Nice job, how long til the car is finished and up for sale?

[This message has been edited by Fierotaz (edited 04-17-2008).]

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
As always Rick, top notch.

------------------
And it begins again...

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.
I just got off the phone 10min ago and basically sold the engine. I may finish the swap and sell the entire car? I don't have pics of the new Red HEI "HOT" coil cap and red custom plug wires. I Got a new Red cap for an HEI SBC and adapted it to the 4.9 because it was cheaper than getting a Red cap for the 4.9 then a Hot coil for the cap. BUT I stopped working on the 4.9 because I got a "New Love" My 5.3 LS4 now has my attention.

I will post some pics of the Cap and Wires tomorrow.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by FierOmar:

Looks great... but for those of us that are challenged, we need a step by step "how to" with photos.

HaHa, I did not take pics of the process. I did not think I would even do anything to this engine. I just kept modifying everything I took off before I put it back on because I did not like the stock look.

I used a hole saw to drill out the big hole. Then I made a thick paper template off of the Fiero V6 valve cover to transfer the shape of the "ear slots" and cut them out with dremel tool and a very sharp rotory file. I wanted the fit snug so the hole was cut just smaller than the cap and I filed the hole out a little at a time til the cap fit in. The cap has a better fit on this cover than it did on the original cover.

rdprowse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rdprowseSend a Private Message to rdprowseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierOmar:

FieroOmar, What are you doing with your 4.9 swap? FnD?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
PIP is not working, cant post pics
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock