Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Wow, Perfectly matched engine for a fiero (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Wow, Perfectly matched engine for a fiero by 84fierotrevor
Started on: 12-29-2007 04:52 AM
Replies: 87
Last post by: Hockaday on 10-04-2010 11:43 AM
84fierotrevor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
well in my opinion.. That bmw v8 is the best engine I have heard in a fiero. and the fact that it revs pretty quick and high. it seems to me It would fit the fiero's sportscar style a lot better then a slow, low revving v8.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

http://media.putfile.com/video1-20

http://media.putfile.com/video2-94

http://media.putfile.com/video3-82

http://media.putfile.com/video4-75

Who's car is this? It is just fantastic..

[This message has been edited by 84fierotrevor (edited 12-29-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadDirect Link to This Post
Interesting would like to know who's it is, what sort of numbers those motors put out and what kind of numbers/times they are seeing. Also which trans they are pushing it with.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's a tight fit. I know, I know there are some out there that are just as "tight". Interesting though. It's amazing what some of these guys come up with.

------------------
Ron

It's the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us the freedom of the press.
It's the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us the freedom of speech.
It's the Soldier, not the politicians
That ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag.

2farnorth

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2farnorthSend a Private Message to 2farnorthDirect Link to This Post
It's got (I think) some kind of European plate on it. Never saw it on here before.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
The Swedish do intersting things with cars, don't they? Would not be my first choice of engine though, but it does sound good.
RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:

well in my opinion.. That bmw v8 is the best engine I have heard in a fiero. and the fact that it revs pretty quick and high. it seems to me It would fit the fiero's sportscar style a lot better then a slow, low revving v8. ...

Thanks for the post.

I grew up with and love the sound of the american V8, but I agree that the sound isn't, to me, a match for the Fiero. That one though sounds much more appropriate.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 w/ Freeman Loader

Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post
Wow that thing sounds amazing! Where did you find this? Sounds like it has one hell of a redline...
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2007 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
That thing is kick a$$. Tight fit but very cool to see that in there.

------------------
Fiero Thomas
Indy #64
86 Fiero GT
NIFE Member
Fiero News dot net
Click here for E-Break and Shifter boots
Click here for Sunshade bags and T-Top Bags

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:
Wow that thing sounds amazing! ... Sounds like it has one hell of a redline...

My thoughts, exactly.

Sounds like he's running an open exhaust.
Probably would sound more... civilized with mufflers.

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Definitely a Euro sound. Sort of a road racing sound. Definitely not American Thunder.

Arn
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
Very interesting. Would like to hear it revved up outside the car. Maybe not so tight a fit without the beauty cover on? Thats really cool that they put that in there though!!!

------------------
Christian
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd, 88 suspension, C6 polished wheels, C5 Z06 brakes, Konis, poly'd, Spec Stg 3
301rwhp/345rwtq
Stovebolt Powered!!!!!
06 Cobalt SS/SC w/ LSD (the slow DD)

PFF
System Bot
proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
looks like you have to be under the car to replace the spark plugs.
how can you remove the rocker covers?
any repairs or up keep work would be repally hard and way to tight
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by proff:

looks like you have to be under the car to replace the spark plugs.
how can you remove the rocker covers?
any repairs or up keep work would be repally hard and way to tight

This ain't a Chevy. The plugs are in the center of the valve covers....kinda like a Hemi
Dave

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
" (Tyresö kommun) is a municipality in Stockholm County in east central Sweden on the coast of the Baltic Sea. Its seat is located in Bollmora.

Most of Tyresö Municipality lies within the Stockholm urban area."

Sounds more like a sports car. Course, I drove a Lancia Beta Coupe for 22 years that would rev to 7200 rpm.

I think the engine bounced the rev limiter on the first shift of the first video.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 01-14-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Anyone got more info on this car? I can get one of these motors nearby for not too much........
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Not too crazy about the looks or sound of it. sounds like it's revving to 7K and not moving much. sound too high pitch to my liking.
Will have to see / hear / drive one in person

------------------

T-Top Conversion~Dual HUD~LED Setup~Red Fieros~Montreal Club

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of european V8 engines, I'm surprised nobody has dropped a Range Rover V8 into a Fiero yet. It's basically the best of both worlds, lightweight like the Caddy 4.9, with lots of tweak/mod potential like the SBC.
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Speaking of european V8 engines, I'm surprised nobody has dropped a Range Rover V8 into a Fiero yet. It's basically the best of both worlds, lightweight like the Caddy 4.9, with lots of tweak/mod potential like the SBC.

didn't it used to be the Buick 215?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Yup, that's where the Rover V8 came from. The design was purchased from Buick in the 60s, but has evolved over time.
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Yup, that's where the Rover V8 came from. The design was purchased from Buick in the 60s, but has evolved over time.

Speaking of the Rover V8, how's this one from Finland?
http://www.geocities.com/jharkola/Viku2.html

D & D Fabrications in Michigan have been working with this V8 for years.
http://www.aluminumv8.com/about/about.htm or
http://www.aluminumv8.com/engine/engcomp.htm

Now, if you are looking for a small V8 that should easily fit into the Fiero engine compartment, look no more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3VVI6Auvys

However, there may be a better choice. Starting in 2006, the Chevy Impala SS is equipped with an all aluminum 5.3 V8 that is transverse mounted. See:
http://www.caranddriver.com...rolet-impala-ss.html

I don't know whether it uses the same transmission as the 3.5 and tje 3.9, but if so, it should match up to the Fiero trans. I seem to recall that the ancillary equipment is mounted so that the overall engine is a couple inches shorter than the longitudinal mounted V8.

------------------
FierOmar

[This message has been edited by FierOmar (edited 01-15-2008).]

Delirius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeliriusSend a Private Message to DeliriusDirect Link to This Post
I found out whoms car it is. It's a guy over here in Sweden.
Some info about the Engine:
BMW 32V V8 Engine: M60B40 4.0 L (3982 cc/242 in³) 210 kW (282 hp) @ 5800 400 N·m (295 ft·lbf) @ 4500

He's running it behind a getrag 282 mounted to an adapter plate.
He has also made custom headers for the engine.

There's a build thread on a swedish forum how ever that forum is only open for viewing if you're a registered user.

I noticed in the thread that modifications to the cradle had to be done as well.
PFF
System Bot
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 04:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post
That thing sounds sick.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
Current Range Rover V8 is just a BMW V8. Its the 7 series/ 5 series V8.
Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post

Mr.PBody

3172 posts
Member since Oct 2006

Originally posted by Delirius:

I found out whoms car it is. It's a guy over here in Sweden.
Some info about the Engine:
BMW 32V V8 Engine: M60B40 4.0 L (3982 cc/242 in³) 210 kW (282 hp) @ 5800 400 N·m (295 ft·lbf) @ 4500

He's running it behind a getrag 282 mounted to an adapter plate.
He has also made custom headers for the engine.

There's a build thread on a swedish forum how ever that forum is only open for viewing if you're a registered user.

I noticed in the thread that modifications to the cradle had to be done as well.

Do you have a link to this?
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

1986 Fiero GT:That thing sounds sick.

Sounds rather healthy by my speakers. Perhaps a speaker upgrade is in order.
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr.PBody:

Current Range Rover V8 is just a BMW V8. Its the 7 series/ 5 series V8.

Not anymore, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, and LR3 use a slightly modified Jaguar V8. The LR2 uses a Volvo L6. They dropped the BMW motor due to costly problems and many complaints.

[This message has been edited by topher_time (edited 01-17-2008).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know that, I thought BMW would be the best thing to ever happen to them. Since Jag and RR are owned by the same company now though, I guess that would make sense. The current body Range Rover never used a Rover motor tho correct? When the new RR came out in what 2003? It had the 4.4L BMW motor right?
Michael Vallinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michael VallinderSend a Private Message to Michael VallinderDirect Link to This Post
Hello to you all I happened to find this thread by accident. I just looked at the swedish fiero forum, nothing I normally do, and found a link to this thread.
Then I got curious what that perfect matched engine could be and saw my own old files uploaded to putfile crazy what things that can be done with the internet.

Anyway, I´m the owner of that fiero and I guess I need to explain a few things. In the videos at Putfile I have no exhaust system, hence the high pitch sound. That's the first test drive with only headers. The car is more civiliced nowadays. hehe.

I built the car during my time as a student. I studies to master of science in vehicle engineering so I felt the need for a hobby car to test some things on.

The reasons were simple, I needed a car with mid-engine layout and the fiero was by far the cheapest here in Sweden. The same with the engine. I needed something in the order of 300hp and the BMW M60B40 engine was by far the cheapest 300hp one could get. I payed 500 US dollars for it

Since then I have managed to get my diploma and started working, at GM Powertrain actually So owning a fiero makes me a very loyal employee
The problem with working is that one gets money, but instead of buying another car (a lotus elise for example) I have continued the work on the fiero.

The cars current status is this:

Bodywork:
No changes yet, I´m planning on a F355 front facia and a front hood with tunnel to the radiator, also a new rear hood which is lighter.

Engine:
BMW M60 B40
Custom made headers by myself, coupled evenly, which means 2cyls from one bank and 2 cyls from the other into a common collector, and vice versa, Thous the great SOUND!!
Original clutch at the moment.
Custom made flywheel with Fiero clutch side and BMW crank side, using a Mitsubishi 3000GT tooth wheel.
OEM engine management system. Bosch 3.3
Fuel pump from SAAB 9000 2.3 Aero

Chassis:
Rebound adjustable Konis made to my own specification in bounce and to my spec of adjustability in rebound.
Stiff springs 1.0 Hz front eigenfrecuenzy and 1.1 in the back.
Coil-over type in the front and McPherson in the rear.
Polyurethane bushings all around.

Brakes:
Front brake discs are from Mercedes SL600, 320x31mm.
Front brake calipers: Mercedes ML55 AMG four pot calipers.
Rear brakes are untouched at the moment.
Rear brake biasing valve from Renault 5 GTE

Interior:
Stripped of as much uncecessary things as possible.
Custom made Roll-cage according to (almost FIA rules)
2x Sparco EVO seats, FIA compliant.
6p- Sparco seat belts.
And also 3p belts for when the cops stop you. They are taken from Renault 5GTE. (standard seat belts were considered unsafe according to my standards)
Master switch between the seats in the "glove" compartment.

Tires and rims:
17x8.5 Borbet rims
Front tires: 215x40 Dunlop Direzza O2Gs
Rear tires: 245x45 Dunlop Direzza O2Gs
I also have 16 inch with street tires, those often shows up at old pictures, I think those rims are from a chevy cavalier or something.

I think this is all, as you might understand the cars is primarely used at track days, but it is "kind of" street legal so I regulary use it in the summers for daily driving.

PS. If (when ) the BMW engine throws up it's interios parts trough the block side I will change to another engine concept.
I will take the sub-frame from a SAAB 9-5 and use the old SAAB 9000 engine block together with a modern "BioPower" cylinder head. This gives me E85, bioethanol capability and a engine that easily puts out 500hp with a more, sporty, turbo

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have, I´m just glad someone has noticed by car feels great.
Below I have posted a few pictures on the work doen so far. enjoy

------------------
"Fast is when munching the throttle is just plain scary"

Michael Vallinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michael VallinderSend a Private Message to Michael VallinderDirect Link to This Post

Michael Vallinder

20 posts
Member since Jan 2008
Test running the engine

Roll-cage

Engine assembly

Flywheel and adapter plate

Needs a few firm actions with the grinder

Exhaust headers

Nice weld made by me.

Shock absorber

Front suspension assembly

------------------

Fiero Brick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 05:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero BrickSend a Private Message to Fiero BrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michael Vallinder:

Custom made headers by myself, coupled evenly, which means 2cyls from one bank and 2 cyls from the other into a common collector, and vice versa, Thous the great SOUND!!

Do you have a picture of those? 180* equal length headers in a Fiero is something I've never seen. I bet it was tough to find a place to put all that tubing!
Michael Vallinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michael VallinderSend a Private Message to Michael VallinderDirect Link to This Post
I posted a picture of the completed manifolds above, can't you see it ? Perhaps there is an error with the image server I linked to ?
PFF
System Bot
Delirius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeliriusSend a Private Message to DeliriusDirect Link to This Post
I think the problem is that you linked to the rejsa forum and it's only for registered users.
Michael Vallinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Michael VallinderSend a Private Message to Michael VallinderDirect Link to This Post
Oh, that's the problem then.. Is there a way to upload images to this forum ?
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

I needed a car with mid-engine layout and the fiero was by far the cheapest here in Sweden.....(Later)....but instead of buying another car (a lotus elise for example) I have continued the work on the fiero.

Hi Michael,

Your Fiero story is one of the best I heard so far, and the car is and will be an absolute riot
It's great you found a line of work that is in great part your hobby.
With your skills, I think you'll be of great contribution to this forum.

I'm sure you know there is a VERY interesting Fiero scene in Europe with some of the best looking cars.

Thanks for sharing, and keep us posted on your future progress.

------------------

T-Top Conversion~Dual HUD~LED Setup~Red Fieros~Montreal Club

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 01-18-2008).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post

Oh, that's the problem then.. Is there a way to upload images to this forum ?

You can use the Pennock's Image Poster (PIP) available here (also the red/blue button at the bottom of the page). Some people have trouble using it, if you do there's plenty of free websites out there where you can host images.

edit: awesome car

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 01-18-2008).]

Michael Vallinder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Michael VallinderSend a Private Message to Michael VallinderDirect Link to This Post
Test running the engine

Roll cage

Flywheel and adapterplate

Engine assembly

Some things needed persuasion with the grinder

Weld from the inside

Exhaust headers

Shock absorber

Front suspension assembly

------------------

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow Welcome to the forum
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
great work man, nice to see some original swaps being done to these 20yr old beauties Welcome to the forum
Wht&BluGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2008 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wht&BluGTSend a Private Message to Wht&BluGTDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! those headers are a work of art. Great Job!
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Wow!!!!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock