Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Wow, Perfectly matched engine for a fiero (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Wow, Perfectly matched engine for a fiero by 84fierotrevor
Started on: 12-29-2007 04:52 AM
Replies: 87
Last post by: Hockaday on 10-04-2010 11:43 AM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Thats extremely unique! More pictures!
IP: Logged
SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
+1 for you as that is a great build you did. I am also happy it was a part of you getting your job wiht GM. Keep up the great ideas. Rick B
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2008 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Well I'll be a son of a *****!

What next, Ferrari swap?
E M Wynne

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2008 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E M WynneSend a Private Message to E M WynneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michael Vallinder:

Test running the engine

Roll cage

Flywheel and adapterplate

Engine assembly

Some things needed persuasion with the grinder

Weld from the inside

Exhaust headers

Shock absorber

Front suspension assembly

Michael ..you have a PM

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Can you please help us poor envious drooling Fiero crazies who want more pictures? WE WANT MORE PICS! Your post is so wonderful, we cannot wait to see what else you are upgrading? What about the rear suspension? Thanks in advance for your expedient reply...

Cordially,
Kevin
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrDirect Link to This Post
I'm so glad I found this thread. Tried to get to your build thread over at rejsa.nu, but apparently the server is down. again. was wanting to ask for more details on the swap, and possibly a drawing of the adapter plate you used (partly because I cannot find drawings for the fiero bellhousing pattern, partly because the bmw v8 is very tempting).
anthony_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i would like some more information on the front suspension. how are those shocks? what are they and what springs are you using. i would love to do something like this on my car!
fierogt17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt17Send a Private Message to fierogt17Direct Link to This Post
OMG! now that is what a fiero should sound like.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
Do you think this thread will give Archie new inspiration? Perhaps he can expand his business beyond the SBC. If not, then maybe Lloyd, or...?

Cordially,
Kevin
NashvilleFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2008 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashvilleFieroSend a Private Message to NashvilleFieroDirect Link to This Post
Dear Santa,
I have been good this year. I would like one of these.

Thanks and extra cookies for you too.

Brit

------------------
If you ever have a questions about the sincerity of the circle of Fiero owners on this site, take a look at:
"In Memoriam: Fiero Members"

Pretty impressive.....

Avatar is of an actual Fiero on fire

BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetDirect Link to This Post
I bow down to you. Man that is really nice how hard was the wiring? how hard was the modding to the frame? i would love to got for a ride in that thats for sure!!! Please show more Vids,Pic's please man looks freaking great man. Sounds amazing
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post
so bmw.... hows it feel to not be the only german engine fiero anymore?
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hookdonspeed:

so bmw.... hows it feel to not be the only german engine fiero anymore?

I think it's good that people are understanding the potential in the German engines. They run for hundreds of thousands of miles and have more advanced technology over the american stuff.
But for the record, I have the only German powered Fiero in America and mine runs off the stock ecu and wiring with reprogramming. It is good to see others thinking outside the box.
Dave
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty SWEET!
thefredman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thefredmanSend a Private Message to thefredmanDirect Link to This Post
Killer application!!!! I like, I want! Good stuff! steve
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
That Swede really can fabricate. If you want a Fiero to have a distinctly European sound to it, that BMW engine seems like the solution. Dave bmwgurus Fiero has a Volkswagon engine in it and sure enough it sounds just like a European sports car, probably drives like one to.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2009 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
My favorite pic on PFF - the one where he is running it strapped to a pallet - absolute perfection and that is the best depiction of a Fiero fanatic I have ever seen.
biggermac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for biggermacSend a Private Message to biggermacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

I think it's good that people are understanding the potential in the German engines. They run for hundreds of thousands of miles and have more advanced technology over the american stuff.
But for the record, I have the only German powered Fiero in America and mine runs off the stock ecu and wiring with reprogramming. It is good to see others thinking outside the box.
Dave

what would that tech be for us slow americans? thanks
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

It's been 14 months since we're heard from Michael Vallinder.

Someone in his neighborhood needs to go knock on his door and get an update.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 05:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by biggermac:

what would that tech be for us slow americans? thanks

Easy there fella.....
Americans are more concerned about going into space than driving on the Autobahn. I worked at a Pontiac dealership a while back. There was no such thing as fly by wire, electronic brakes, VVT, Variable changing intake runners etc back then in the 1990's. The German cars had all that back then.
I can't think of one German engine in production that uses pushrods.
Not trying to bash anything here, but the German cars are built to last and run. A Mercedes I just bought has 980,000 original miles on the original engine and transmission. I am 100% American, but a German car enthusiest.
Dave
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Easy there fella.....
Americans are more concerned about going into space than driving on the Autobahn. I worked at a Pontiac dealership a while back. There was no such thing as fly by wire, electronic brakes, VVT, Variable changing intake runners etc back then in the 1990's. The German cars had all that back then.
Not trying to bash anything here, but the German cars are built to last and run. A Mercedes I just bought has 980,000 original miles on the original engine and transmission. I am 100% American, but a German car enthusiest.
Dave

I have to agree, Germany has always been further ahead of the pack when it comes to new technologies - and that includes space (so to speak, they were the first to develop a short range missle - and they may have been the first into space, but the outcome of the war prevented that).

We here in North America always seem to be playing catch up when it comes to cars and technology - but maybe that is just the 'old boys' thinking that run the North American car companies with thier it worked in 1920, so don't fix it if it ain't broke.
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
that is pretty unique. great job!

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Here in the USA Detroit iron was not designed to run at 120 mph (200kph) for hours at a time.
biggermac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggermacSend a Private Message to biggermacDirect Link to This Post

Easy there fella.....
Dave

sorry i was a little grumpy when i posted. what vehical was the variable intake ruuners installed in? the only time ive seen that is in yamaha new r1 thanks
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
BAD @$$ !!!
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

sorry i was a little grumpy when i posted. what vehical was the variable intake ruuners installed in? the only time ive seen that is in yamaha new r1 thanks

Many Mercedes models, my wife's VR6 Fiero, Porsches, BMW's etc
Dave

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
if he comes back and i'm not around to ask, can someone ask if he has a pic of the engine with the headers on it?

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can. arthur ashe

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Even the 3.9 V6 in the G6 uses a variable runner intake. German cars had it way before American ones, though.
The earliest American equivalent I can think of was the DOHC ZR-1. It had a butterfly valve in a second intake runner that opened up to give full flow above certain rpms.

Oh, and America got it's space program from the Germans, too. Most of NASA's early rocket scientists were former Nazis who surrendered to American troops in WWII or came to America after the war. The Saturn V was designed by Dr. Wernher von Braun. He also designed the V-2 rocket used in WWII.
fordmuddin27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fordmuddin27Send a Private Message to fordmuddin27Direct Link to This Post
can i ask how in the hell you put even something as simple as plugs in that thing?
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
dont forget the SHO Taurus had a variable length intake runners. atleast i think it did. sure looks it, even when disassembled.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
That is freaking amazing! Nice job. Someone chant with me!>!>>>

BUILD THREAD, BUILD THREAD, BUILD THREAD, BUILD THREAD,

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fordmuddin27:

can i ask how in the hell you put even something as simple as plugs in that thing?

spark plugs are on top of the valve cover under each coil. They are the (kind of) "Hemi type" if that helps-between each camshaft on the heads.

Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (daily driver), 1986 SE with a VW VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

dont forget the SHO Taurus had a variable length intake runners. atleast i think it did. sure looks it, even when disassembled.

not sure about the V6 SHO, but the V8 SHO had Secondary butterflies that open at 3400 RPM.
I ( i mean my dad) own one.
biggermac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for biggermacSend a Private Message to biggermacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Even the 3.9 V6 in the G6 uses a variable runner intake. German cars had it way before American ones, though.
The earliest American equivalent I can think of was the DOHC ZR-1. It had a butterfly valve in a second intake runner that opened up to give full flow above certain rpms.

Oh, and America got it's space program from the Germans, too. Most of NASA's early rocket scientists were former Nazis who surrendered to American troops in WWII or came to America after the war. The Saturn V was designed by Dr. Wernher von Braun. He also designed the V-2 rocket used in WWII.

thats some cool info on the devolpment of space travel. maybe i am wrong (it happens all the time) but i thought the term variable intake is that the intake moves to different lengths according to rpm levels. check out the yamaha website.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.../6/57/4/0/image.aspx
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
The G6 uses variable length runners.
I'm not going to debate the definition of the word "variable." I'm sure there's more than 1 way to do it.

Now, back on topic.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 03-27-2009).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Damn! Thats one mean sounding engine! German power!

BUILD THREAD, BUILD THREAD, BUILD THREAD!!
biggermac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for biggermacSend a Private Message to biggermacDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

The G6 uses variable length runners.
I'm not going to debate the definition of the word "variable." I'm sure there's more than 1 way to do it.

Now, back on topic.

im sorry i didnt want to make anyone mad. i like info thats new to me
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
This is a great build but the difference between the design of European and American engines has always been that the European design their cars for road work while most American performance cars are designed for brute force acceleration. In the 1/4 mile, my main interest, a European engine would not suite my needs. What excites me is getting to point B in the 1/4 mile in the shortest amount of time. "Perfect" all comes down to taste
As for longevity, my last car a Chevy Monte Carlo with a 3100 engine ran 197,000 miles before she was sold (still running). My Chrysler 300 has 57K on it so far and not a single issue. It also has a German designed auto transmisson used in the Mercedes. While it can be argued that German engines are more technologically advanced, they are mainly used in expensive cars and are four times the price.
It is understandable that in Europe a locally made engine may offer distinct advantages for a swap and the driving style over there. It will be interesting to see how it performs in a Fiero. I follow the European Fiero builds with great interest as the creatvity, styling and engineering of most of these swaps are remarkably different from ours.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-28-2009).]

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
this engine is no different than a N* ..plenty of torque to get you moving quickly, reliably , and with finesse according to the Fiero's designers ultimate project

actually a bit more power when you consider less displacement 4.0 liters 286 hp @ 5800 rpm and 295 ft·lbf @ 4500 rpm

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 03-29-2009).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2009 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Where did the videos go??

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock