Started on: 11-10-2006 05:26 PM
Replies: 217
Last post by: exoticse on 05-05-2010 12:56 AM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Here is the layout for the new LED warning lights.
I'm not putting any labels on the new face plate identifying the lights.
I'm the only one that drives my car, so I know what they are, but it's all simple enough to explain to anyone else.

#1 = Headlight High Beam indicator (Blue LED)
#2 = Left turn signal indicator (Green LED)
#3 = Right turn signal indicator (Green LED)
#4 = Seatbelt warning indicator (Red LED)
#5 = VOLTS indicator (Red LED)
#6 = DOOR AJAR indicator (Orange LED)
#7 = SES indicator (Yellow LED)

I didn't include an e-brake indicator because I've removed the e-brake from the car, (it's an automatic)
There is also room left in the panel to add additional LED indicator lights later if I need to. (below the Speedo and Tach)
Changing the LED lights is as simple as popping them out of their holders and unplugging them inside the pod.
LED light colors and locations can be changed very easily later.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-27-2010).]

IP: Logged
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Randye
You are doing a great job.
I wanted to say it was a pleasure talking to you in Daytona, you were very helpfull and answer all my questions.
I also want to thank you for taking me for a ride on your car, your workmanship is an inspiration for me.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you panning on doing with the faces for the gauges, the ones that light up blue ?
If you are planning on selling them let me know, I really like how they look.

Keep up the great work

Lincoln

Thank You for the compliments and you are most welcome for the ride!

My old gages are going to my son for now.
He's bulding an 88 Formula "wide body" and will be joining this forum soon and detailing his build.
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Randye i gotta ask,

Man you are always coming up with something new,..where do you get all your creative ideas from ?

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-27-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Randye i gotta ask,

Man you are always coming up with something new,..where do you get all your creative ideas from ?

Where do I get these ideas??

Well, sometimes its the voices in my head that just won't SHUT UP!!
Other times its from my"friends" who live deep inside the earth. They send me visions while I'm sleeping.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
One photo I forgot to post...
The new gage panel nestled snugly in the housing:

I'm going to go back out and sit on the front porch and watch for the UPS man now...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
MY new gages are HERE!
My new gages are HERE!
(Like a kid at Christmas....)

Yep, thats an 8000 RPM Tach and a 160 MPH Speedo with digital odo and trip odo!
(I can dream about the RPMs and speed, can't I ???)
The fuel gage has a built in programmable "low fuel" light too!
SpeedHut gages are THE BEST.

Both the tach and the speedo are also programmable, so if / when I ever swap engines or trannys they'll work just fine.

More later.....

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
OK..I just couldn't wait.
Had to at least do a quick "test fit" and see what all this is going to look like..

The new gage bezels and the LED holders look GREAT together and the overall look of the I.P. was just what I was looking for.
Yep, I'm thrilled!....now to fire up the soldering iron and *finish* this upgrade!!

Stay Tuned!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
The gauges look fantastic. I like the aluminum on black look, and they look well built.

How difficult was it to get the signals from the stock circuit board to work with those gauges, or has that been sorted out yet?

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

The gauges look fantastic. I like the aluminum on black look, and they look well built.

How difficult was it to get the signals from the stock circuit board to work with those gauges, or has that been sorted out yet?

Couldn't be easier.
I just followed what others have done to tap into the 4k PPM signal that have swapped in other dashes and clusters.
(See the circuitboard pic on pg. 5 of this thread)
You can simply solder a wire anywhere along that trace on the board.
I haven't tested this yet, but I'm assured it works fine....we shall see.

I'm really excited that all my I.P. gages will now match the center console gages!

...of course now I have 6 different gage program buttons to play with too.....

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
How long are you are going to keep outdoing yourself?? Nice!
temulance

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for temulanceSend a Private Message to temulanceDirect Link to This Post
I read this thread from first to last! All I can say is awsome! Im new here and this just makes me want to go out ot my car and do something to it! LOL... PS my wife thought it was an awsome car! Thank you because..... she said "thats what you should do to yours... redo the whole thing inside out!" LOL... For that I thank you!
PFF
System Bot
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2010 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I have the new face plate for the gages all machined out of 1/4 inch thick clear Lexan and painted satin black using SEM paint. It's VERY solid.

Just wondering...but did you modify my drawing at all, other than the thickness of the material? I haven't gotten a chance to make one yet and I'm rather curious how accurate my drawing was? Looks like a pretty good fit...did I do well, haha?

[This message has been edited by 1986 Fiero GT (edited 04-28-2010).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2010 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Just wondering...but did you modify my drawing at all, other than the thickness of the material? I haven't gotten a chance to make one yet and I'm rather curious how accurate my drawing was? Looks like a pretty good fit...did I do well, haha?

Your CAD file was just fine, but I did end up moving the Speedo and Tach inboard and upward slightly, (approx. .375) and did a layout directly on the Lexan to position & drill holes for the LED holders.
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2010 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Your CAD file was just fine, but I did end up moving the Speedo and Tach inboard and upward slightly, (approx. .375) and did a layout directly on the Lexan to position & drill holes for the LED holders.

Awesome, haha. That's what I like to hear. I was slightly worried about the gigantic radius at the very top of the panel, but I'm glad to hear it fits well. The fillets on the edge are good too?

Oh, and by the way...that panel and LEDs looks great. The brushed aluminum trim rings and LED holders look amazing against that black panel. Pretty much the same thing I'll be doing with my panel.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
The gage upgrade is FINISHED!
I think the install looks good, especialy since all my gages now match!

Drivers view:

Outside lookin' in:

Everything works like a charm, except that my seatbelt warning LED seems to stay lit just a wee tiny bit, (like a small pinpoint of yellow light).
I might need to add another resistor to that line, but it's barely noticable unless you look for it.
The Tach is already calibrated but I still need to drive the car over a measured 2 miles to accurately calibrate the Speedo.
The fuel gage has to be calibrated at BOTH completely full and completely empty to work accurately.
Not sure how I'm going to do that yet, short of simply running it till empty, calibrating the gage and then filling it up and calibrating at full....
Should work well though with the new Fiero Store sending unit I just put in the tank. It's showing what I assume to be proper Ohms at the dash harness now, so we shall see.
Now on to the NEXT upgrade!...What will it be????

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-30-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

The fuel gage has a built in programmable "low fuel" light too!

whooooa, now thats what im talking about.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2010 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Too bad our cars will never meet :-)

if yellowstone moved to florida, maybe the cars can meet.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Randye something long overdue is coming your way !
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock