Started on: 11-10-2006 05:26 PM
Replies: 217
Last post by: exoticse on 05-05-2010 12:56 AM
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
Underside of the hood is all nice and clean with new semigloss black paint.
This images is larger than 102400 bytes. Click to view.

A little more cleaning on the cowl panel and some more protectant needed, but it looks 1000 times better than the chalky grey mess I started with.
Looks like I need to adjust the passenger side wiper arm up a couple of notches too.

All the doors and hatches open...letting in some fresh air

IP: Logged
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
The trunk carpeting is very clean but looks a little "splotchy" here. Must be the light, because it looks pristine in person.
New trunk rubber seal looks nice though.
Ugly dogbone needs replacing right away.

Joe is underneath the car looking for leaks ....OK yeah, he found some small ones
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Another "all open" view.

...and another.....
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
The engine is still not idling and running just like I want, so more tweaking needed.
Since the car is getting very close to complete at this stage, I'm starting to have visions of other motors in this space now.
A nice SBC? A 4.9? Maybe just a 3.4 with a 440T4 auto trans? I can't decide yet...
I plan on running the 2.8 with the stock 3 spd auto for a little while, but I already feel the need for for just a little more "pizzaz" to go with the looks of the outside of the car. Good Grief that dogbone looks awful!!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 02-24-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006
One more low angle rear shot for this update.
I think I need a nifty new license plate frame

Hope to have the new low profile headlights and the quarter windows installed in the next couple of weeks.
Fiero project cars are never really *done* are they?

Randy
Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post
oh wow. I love a wingless fastback!

maybe paint your deck lid lock black to blend it in with the tail lights?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike OHIO:

maybe paint your deck lid lock black to blend it in with the tail lights?

Actually the door and decklid locks are new and came with black metal sleeves and the tiny little spring door in black.
You have a choice to remove the silver casings and replace with black, or not.
Interesting point now that you mention it. I'll see how the black lock might look. Thanks

Dr.Porsche

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr.PorscheSend a Private Message to Dr.PorscheDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic! Love your car. VERY tasteful! What did you use on the cowl?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dr.Porsche:

What did you use on the cowl?

I removed the plastic cowl panel piece from the car and washed it throughly with "Purple Power" brand cleaner and a small nylon bristle brush.
The part was then buffed lightly with #0000 steel wool to remove the faded gray oxidized film layer of plastic and then washed again. I then coated it with medical grade flourinated silicone oil. We use this silicone oil in the manufacture of medical devices and it's very expensive, (approx. $1k / quart), but it is also the only substance that I have found that will actually penetrate into some polymers and help restore them to a nice luster. We keep a supply of this silicone oil in my lab, so I "borrowed" about 1 ounce of it to test. I wiped the silicone oil all over the cowl panel and let it sit for a couple of days and then wiped off the excess.

This is the first time I've ever tried this on an automotive plastic (vinyl), part, and the jury is still out on how effective this will be over the long term and exposed to the elements.
So far it seems to have worked well, but the car has barely been out of my garage for long. I'm going to try coating it with one of the regular automotive protectants, (non water based), now as a precaution.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

You know i started pricing a few interior items as i am in the process of a restoration on one of my GTs and noticed some of the prices were not too bad.

I wonder if the Fiero Store has ever considered putting together an interior restoration package, that included new carpet, new mats, all new switches, and face plates etc, at a discounted price ?

Sure would spur a lot of business IMO, as some folks who were considering a few things might opt for the whole package for the opportunity to totally refresh their interior to like new status.

Hmmmmm,.......

I think i will propose this to them.
FieroFinatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFinaticClick Here to visit FieroFinatic's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroFinaticDirect Link to This Post
what size wheels you running on those 18s?
PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFinatic:

what size wheels you running on those 18s?

HP EVO 18 X 8 38mm offset

Nexen 225/40/18 tires

Intrax lowering springs. 1.7" drop front and 1.8" drop rear

CarolinaJoe rode in it yesterday and said it feels like a stock suspension ride...
It's VERY smooth and doesn't hit the bump stops.

There is minimal clearance between the tire and the strut spring perch, (approx. a fingers width), in the rear and a on a VERY hard 90 degree corner the tire will rub the spring perch slightly. I have no rear sway bar yet so I think that will help eliminate that by reducing body roll, and I will probably also cut away a bit of the excess spring perch, (they are huge on the Gabriel struts), to get a tiny bit more clearance as well.

Dr.Porsche

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr.PorscheSend a Private Message to Dr.PorscheDirect Link to This Post
I was kind of following the whole intrax thing before, but just to clarify...did you get them off of e-bay. Also, just stock suspension with those lowering springs...what kind of shocks? Thanks
FieroFinatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFinaticClick Here to visit FieroFinatic's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroFinaticDirect Link to This Post
oh nice...how do you think 215/40/18 would look on a stock fiero wheel well w/ the car lowered slightly?
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dr.Porsche:

I was kind of following the whole intrax thing before, but just to clarify...did you get them off of e-bay. Also, just stock suspension with those lowering springs...what kind of shocks? Thanks

Hi Doc,

I eventually did get my Intrax from Ebay, but a STRONG word of caution:
DO NOT order from "Qualified Japanese Parts" or whatever name they might be going by. They don't have Intrax in stock and will wait a few weeks and then email you and offer Eibach.
It's a continuing bait & switch that I've complained to Ebay about. Took a month or more to get my money back. I eventually got mine new in the box on Ebay from an individual here in FL, (just pure luck).
Some of the guys have mentioned the ST springs, or "Suspension Technologies", (I think that's the right name), which Summit or others stock. I've heard they are similar but don't know. there's a thread on the forum "Intrax in Stock" you might want to read....don't have the link handy at the moment....

I chose Intrax because they offered the most drop with a progressive rate spring. Eibachs are linear rate and not as much drop.
I wanted a comfortable street ride with the benefit of firmer handling when I wanted to "lean on it" a bit. So far the Inrax have delivered as advertised.
Since you are a performance driving instructor you'll doubtless know the difference in progressive vs linear rate springs. They both have their place.

I mis-typed earlier. I have Monroe performance struts and shocks installed, (not Gabriel). I don't recall the exact trade name right now but they are non-adjustable gas shocks and struts..supposedly top of the line in what Monroe offers for stock replacement. I'll look up exactly what they are for you. I do know they're a lot firmer than stock, but not at all harsh. There is no "jounce", or "porpoising", just a very stable damping with the Intrax springs. As an engineer, I'm a big believer in "incremental development". Makes diagnosing and correcting problems much easier than modifying a lot of things all at once and then trying to figure out al the interactions between what you've done to correct it. For that reason I'm going a step at a time with shocks, springs, bushings, brakes, sway bars. etc. until I get it to what I like. I didn't set out to make this a "race car", I just want the best compromise between comfortable cruising and occasional mild "performance" handling.

Just curious about the "Dr." in your sig. ???? Physician?, DDS?, PhD?

Randy

------------------
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic,
except for my friends deep inside the earth.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by FieroFinatic:

oh nice...how do you think 215/40/18 would look on a stock fiero wheel well w/ the car lowered slightly?

Should be fine.
A 40 series 18" tire will give you almost the same rolling diameter as a stock 15" Fiero wheel and tire, so measure your drop from the stock wheel and tire and proceed accordingly.
The 215 width should give you a bit more clearance on the inside with a 38mm offset.
I can't stress enough to watch the offset though.
Too much and they'll hit on the inside.
Too little and they'll stick out of your wheel wells not look too good.
On my 87 GT a 38mm offset was almost perfect with the 225 width on an 8" wide wheel.

Randy

------------------
Everyone thinks I'm psychotic,
except for my friends deep inside the earth.

Dr.Porsche

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dr.PorscheSend a Private Message to Dr.PorscheDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Sir. I knew there was something going on there. I will be dropping my car this spring, and I have liked your approach, so I am trying to stick as close to your set-up as possible. I bought a set of 17"s from a member here.

As far as the sig, DC and have gone on to specialize in radiology. I teach undergraduate Physics on the side. In my former lives I was a immunologist/biotech researcher and did some time at GM (Delco) as an engineering analyst. I have a long history with Porsche, so that is what I always used as a sig. When I got my professional degree, I thought it would be funny to play on the original Dr. Porsche's name. It also helps to ease the pain of student loan debt

------------------
'87 Fiero Gt, 5 speed
'87 Porsche 944S
'94 Audi 90CS

MsLoriFiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MsLoriFieroSend a Private Message to MsLoriFieroDirect Link to This Post
That is a very nice car Randy, you have done an excellent job. I am trying my best to get those windows for you, and others before D7. I am having to depend on the molding shop to keep their word to me. (hopefully)

Lori
MsLoriFiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MsLoriFieroSend a Private Message to MsLoriFieroDirect Link to This Post

MsLoriFiero

695 posts
Member since May 2003
double post

Lori

[This message has been edited by MsLoriFiero (edited 02-25-2007).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2007 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MsLoriFiero:

That is a very nice car Randy, you have done an excellent job. I am trying my best to get those windows for you, and others before D7. I am having to depend on the molding shop to keep their word to me. (hopefully)

Lori

Lori you know full well that I have complete faith in you. I know that you are doing your very best.
Just to demonstrate my confidence in you, the car will remain without quarter windows until yours are ready and I have a set in my hands
I haven't made many compromises on this car so far, and I don't see why I should settle for something less now.

Randy
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2007 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Randy any update on the new engine ?
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

bump
FieroGTRwideboby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyDirect Link to This Post
Looks awesome. How Much??? I'll pay cash

-Alex
carolinajoe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post
He called me on Tuesday I think?
He was at his first Cruise night with the car.
Hopefully he will see this and post some pics.

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTRwideboby:

Looks awesome. How Much??? I'll pay cash

-Alex

High praise coming from a guy whose car I drool over.
Thanks Alex!
You know I almost painted this car Arancio Atlas Pearl, (Lambo orange), but didn't want it to look like a cheap stock copy of your awesome car.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by carolinajoe:

He called me on Tuesday I think?
He was at his first Cruise night with the car.
Hopefully he will see this and post some pics.

Yep. That was me.
Went out to a little local cruise night on Tuesday evening for a couple of hours. Got some really nice comments on the car.
Almost all said "That's the cleanest Fiero I've ever seen, is it new?"
Really builds up your confidence that you might have done a decent job on your car....
Been keeping the car close to home until I'm certain that everything is right and the new 3.4 PR engine is broken in properly.
It still needs to go back to the paint shop to finish up a few things, including a couple of nicks and scratches from the engine swap.
I'll try to shoot some "glamor pics" of the car this weekend.
advancedwiringsystem

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for advancedwiringsystemSend a Private Message to advancedwiringsystemDirect Link to This Post
you need to free up some time either sep. 1 or sep. 2, i'm bringing the new wife with me to pick up the car from russell. I want to see your car....
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by advancedwiringsystem:

you need to free up some time either sep. 1 or sep. 2, i'm bringing the new wife with me to pick up the car from russell. I want to see your car....

PM me with your itinerary and I will try like hell to make time.
Sept.1 is our 30th Anniversary, and the wife is probably expecting me to pay some attention to her
We will probably just do dinner Saturday evening at her favorite, (expensive), place.
I'm always up for hanging around with "Fiero Folk" though.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 08-23-2007).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2007 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
I was mulling over some old pff files and found this. Absolutely spot on job on this car. The color is amazing and the interior is fantastic. Any new developments on her???
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

bump !
Digitalman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DigitalmanSend a Private Message to DigitalmanDirect Link to This Post
Car looks great, but give up on the Intraxx Springs. Call West Coast Fiero and get their front springs and their rear-coil-overs. I did that and am VERY HAPPY!!
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Randye,

It was great to finally get to meet you in person and see your car. Spectacular job !

It was great talking to you as well, and hearing about your next big project.

That one sounds like it is going to be even better !!
HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCDirect Link to This Post
Very tastefully done! I love every inch of it! Yellow fieros kick ass! The wingless look is definitely the way to go with fastbacks!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
hi Randy E the uncappsness threw me off!!

car looks b-e-a-uutiful.
FieroGTRwideboby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2008 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTRwidebobyClick Here to visit FieroGTRwideboby's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTRwidebobyDirect Link to This Post
Still loving it. any updates? This is exactly what I wanted to do to mine before it became the wide-body. I like the color a lot.
blkcofy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkcofySend a Private Message to blkcofyDirect Link to This Post
Bump to keep the old school look alive...
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Randye,

It was great to finally get to meet you in person and see your car. Spectacular job !

It was great talking to you as well, and hearing about your next big project.

That one sounds like it is going to be even better !!

Tony,
Same here. It was great to meet up with you *finally*. I'm really looking forward to seeing that choptop of yours.
I know how it feels to be "Fieroless in Daytona", but it looks like you will soon be there in grand style!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-02-2008).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by FieroGTRwideboby:

Still loving it. any updates? This is exactly what I wanted to do to mine before it became the wide-body. I like the color a lot.

Thanks Alex!

The old 2.8 motor blew up so it was replaced with a rebuilt 3.4

https://images.fiero.nl/p...ages3/3.4_engine.jpg

Not exacly the "screamer" that some others are driving, but the car runs very good now and only needs a 4T60 trans to replace the old 3 speed auto. RPMs on the highway are way too high, (3200 @ 70MPH), so I really need the overdrive.

I posted more photos of the car over in the "Daytona 2008" thread.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 04-02-2008).]

randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13819 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

hi Randy E the uncappsness threw me off!!

car looks b-e-a-uutiful.

great to meet you in daytona jerry. thanks for the compliments.
just for you, no caps were used in the making of this post
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2009 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
i understand there has been an udpate !?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 6 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock