Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  External seating, notchie, help with concept please (hockaday, read plz) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
External seating, notchie, help with concept please (hockaday, read plz) by faaaaq
Started on: 04-17-2010 05:47 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: faaaaq on 04-19-2010 10:45 PM
faaaaq

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
ill give the backstory as well, seeing how im VERY bored....

wednesday i was supposed to pick up this girl from her work at 3pm so we could hang out (we didnt tho, because her grampa ended up passing that morning). i planned on getting there early and finding a sturdy place to sit on my car and wait for her to come outside. blahblahblah....

as i was thinking about that, i thought of fabricating some sort of detachable folding seat setup. my idea would somehow attach to the rear of a notchie, over the engine vents near the rear window. probably only 2 seats so it would still be able to be folded down and stored in the car somewhere. i doubt there is a huge market for something like this, but i would probably use it weekly if not more often. i figured it could be made of fiberglass and have some inexpensive padding on it for comfort. i planned for your back to be kinda against the rear window with the seat directly against the decklid/vents, so it would be similar to laying in bed with you back propped up against a pillow. it would be very cheap to make once a mold is created. i do not know if anyone else has thought of this or not, but if i am the first, and there is a market for something like this, im not concerned about getting credit for it. i dont have the means to make or distribute it, and id be happy just knowing i have made an actual contribution.

anyone have any suggestions to help me?? or can anyone make some sort of visualization, either using a cad program or drawing or cardboard even? im proficient with photoshop, but only editing images or making graphics

[This message has been edited by faaaaq (edited 04-17-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaDirect Link to This Post
So you wanna sit on your decklid? Wait, you would sit on your decklid weekly if not more often? Does your car have a spoiler?

Just random questions, you have a very creative/original idea there...
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1988holleyformula:

So you wanna sit on your decklid? Wait, you would sit on your decklid weekly if not more often? Does your car have a spoiler?

Just random questions, you have a very creative/original idea there...

no i do not have a spoiler. eventually i will, but at worst the people sitting back there would simply need to cross their legs if the spoiler was flimsy. but yes lol, i want some sort of seat attachment for the decklid area to sit there. and yea, i would use it often. it would be very nice for outdoor concerts, camping, watching fireworks, cookouts, bonfires, etc
Steven_Kreg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven_KregSend a Private Message to Steven_KregDirect Link to This Post
That sounds awesome. Keep us posted. Cant wait to see a pic of you sitting on your fiero in your fiero-lid seat!
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven_Kreg:

That sounds awesome. Keep us posted. Cant wait to see a pic of you sitting on your fiero in your fiero-lid seat!

lol ill try to keep this prom getting archived so i can get more input and suggestions, maybe some digital mock-ups. if i can get some materials, i will make a real life ROUGH prototype, so better illustrate what i mean. even if i am the only one who would ever use it, i would like to get it designed very nicely in the end, to the point where it looks like an OEM accessory
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Lol i used to sit on the roof of my old 86 (now parts car) it can take people sitting up on it. I dont dfo it any more because of the paint jobs.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Lol i used to sit on the roof of my old 86 (now parts car) it can take people sitting up on it. I dont dfo it any more because of the paint jobs.

my car has horrible paint right now lol...plus, my design idea would solve the issue of worrying about scratches or anything, other than the risk of scratches from some idiot falling as they get INTO the seat lol
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
Ello lol just saw this thread. Will whip something up for you tonight / tomorow.

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.

#12 NYFOC Member.

Hockaday's Fiero Wiki: http://fiero-wiki.wetpaint.com/

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Get a set of the rear seats out of an 80's Subaru Brat! They even have little hand grips for the passenger(s). Bolt them to the deck lid facing backwards just like the Brat. Later on when you get your wing, it can double as a foot rest! The perfect drive in car!
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Get a set of the rear seats out of an 80's Subaru Brat! They even have little hand grips for the passenger(s). Bolt them to the deck lid facing backwards just like the Brat. Later on when you get your wing, it can double as a foot rest! The perfect drive in car!

lol, actually, that would work perfectly. only difference id do, is make then easily detachable.

do those seats fold? might work for temporary, but in the end id like a fabricated fiberglass solution that folds to become VERY small, so as to take up little storage
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

faaaaq

3856 posts
Member since Sep 2009

Originally posted by Hockaday:

Ello lol just saw this thread. Will whip something up for you tonight / tomorow.

awesome lol. no rush tho, its not top priority as i have no cash atm, unless somebody else would like to have a hand in making it. if i get this job on tuesday, ill buy some foam and enough fiberglassing materials (or anything similar, just something that will harden and support a little weight) to make a prototype non-folding seat for the back. starting to get excited lol, as so far it seems im the first one with this specific idea

[This message has been edited by faaaaq (edited 04-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
hinesb1890

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post
you could somehow use one of those portable seats people carry to sit on bleachers...

------------------

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

you could somehow use one of those portable seats people carry to sit on bleachers...

yea but those seats suck lol. im hoping to get something more for-fitting to your back and bottom, something you could sit on for many hours
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
First off, you need measurements for your storage location... I would assume you would use the area behind the seats, so measure the width of the OEM seatbacks.

Next, you have to think about a support structure for your fibreglass back/butt rests. Aluminum or steel tubing would work well enough.

Of course, a hinge unit for the purpose of folding - do you want this to be heavy duty and hidden? You could do away with the entire hinge idea and use a smaller diameter tubing for the upper part, and have it insert into the lower tubing. Next idea - headrests; do you want any and if so, how would they be mounted? Would you want them to have built-in speakers so that you can hear a movie at the drive-in ?

Just ideas and things you need to think about.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

First off, you need measurements for your storage location... I would assume you would use the area behind the seats, so measure the width of the OEM seatbacks.

Next, you have to think about a support structure for your fibreglass back/butt rests. Aluminum or steel tubing would work well enough.

Of course, a hinge unit for the purpose of folding - do you want this to be heavy duty and hidden? You could do away with the entire hinge idea and use a smaller diameter tubing for the upper part, and have it insert into the lower tubing. Next idea - headrests; do you want any and if so, how would they be mounted? Would you want them to have built-in speakers so that you can hear a movie at the drive-in ?

Just ideas and things you need to think about.

good points and ideas and questions lol. i will not be using it for drive ins, so speakers are unnecessary (for me). and for storage, behind me seats might be taken up by amps soon, so I would use the rear trunk or under the front hood. and for support, i hadnt thought that far yet, but would PVC piping be strong enough? wood would work as well, right? the hinge, if I make it, would likely be heavy-ish duty so it could fold, but for early models once i or someone else starts building, could use your other suggestion of the use of tubing. headrests would be nice, but those would be easy---small section of fiberglass or something that is on a sliding rail like many desks use for the keyboard area, except would be lockable. would obviously be attached to the back of the back-rest area
katatak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Here's a "low tech" solution for you. You could build some mounts on the deck lid that can be "clipped" into place using some pins ot bolts. Simply remove the pins and fold up the seat, place it in the supplied storage bag and place it in the trunk. This would get you by until a more "high tech" solution could be designed and implemented. I use these exact same seats for all my Fiero functions. I just do not place them on top of the car.

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-18-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Here's a "low tech" solution for you. You could build some mounts on the deck lid that can be "clipped" into place using some pins ot bolts. Simply remove the pins and fold up the seat, place it in the supplied storage bag and place it in the trunk. This would get you by until a more "high tech" solution could be designed and implemented. I use these exact same seats for all my Fiero functions. I just do not place them on top of the car.

that is an alright idea lol, but its no fun . i still have to see how comfortable it is sitting on the decklid against the window is, might be able to do that till i get a seat made for back there.
87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
Just buy a civic and get it over with. A fiero will always be a 2 seater.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

Just buy a civic and get it over with. A fiero will always be a 2 seater.

civic...ew... and this is for external use. if i had a four-seater i would still be interested in this. it will only seat two people, and will not be for use while mobile, so it isnt modding it into a four-seater lol
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
You could go buy an Aztek, since it kinda does that automatically.. OR.. goto the junkyard and look a an Aztek. There is a plastic "cushion" in the rear fold down hatch for that purpose. I has two "butt impressions" and (I think) cup holders. Perhaps you could buy one, and somehow pad the bottom to adapt it to sit on your Fiero, and maybe attach a lightweight folding upper backrest.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroDirect Link to This Post
I am kind of lost on this idea. You either just sit on the decklid, of put a chair next to the car and sit on it. What is the point of mounting an external chair to the car just to sit on it when parked? Also if you have nice paint, I see no way of avoiding scratches, your feet will come in contact with the decklid. Plus you will most likely have to make supports in the engine compartment to support the seat supports.
PFF
System Bot
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post

Hockaday

2165 posts
Member since Sep 2009

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

I am kind of lost on this idea. You either just sit on the decklid, of put a chair next to the car and sit on it. What is the point of mounting an external chair to the car just to sit on it when parked? Also if you have nice paint, I see no way of avoiding scratches, your feet will come in contact with the decklid. Plus you will most likely have to make supports in the engine compartment to support the seat supports.

The decklid is not comfortable, and much of my use for this will be while in a parking lot and crowded places. Avoided scratches will be easy...if its warm take your shoes off. If. Its chilly, put a piece of cloth down or take shoes off and use a blanket.

I don't have the money for an aztek, and using just that seat would be too difficult. It would be too hard to keep from taking up a lot of storage
Fosgatecavy98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
I just side on the side of the car between the notchback window and the spolier, I fit well, but then again I also use my spoiler to eat off of when I am out side lol.

I could sleep on my decklid if I wanted to, the warmth of the engine....mmmmm good for afternoon naps.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fosgatecavy98:

I just side on the side of the car between the notchback window and the spolier, I fit well, but then again I also use my spoiler to eat off of when I am out side lol.

I could sleep on my decklid if I wanted to, the warmth of the engine....mmmmm good for afternoon naps.

i know it works OK as-is, but im looking for a solution that will be comfortable for periods of many hours at a time, and wont make my back hurt like he77 lol (i have really bad back spasms :/ )
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
detachable decklid or part of it and cushions placed ontop of the trunk. wouldn't recomend any of these besides something like what i posted due to scratches
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

detachable decklid or part of it and cushions placed ontop of the trunk. wouldn't recomend any of these besides something like what i posted due to scratches

ooooo, NOW i understand what your images are of lol. and like i said, avoiding scratches is easy. you could even just lay a yoga mat down on the decklid
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
well i'm a bit more...worrysome to custom paint etc so i would scream if i saw someone do that lol yeah i'd just have it clamp on the tire etc.
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

well i'm a bit more...worrysome to custom paint etc so i would scream if i saw someone do that lol yeah i'd just have it clamp on the tire etc.

thats a good idea too, but it would cause problems in a parking lot or crowded area, just as much as a separate chair would. not to mention it would not be high enough off the ground (or low enough either) to be comfortable. i think it would work better for an SUV or something. anyways, the reason i want it ON the car is so i take up no more real-estate that the car already does, and so the seating is higher up than normal seating.

i dont understand why some people seem to be against this idea. its no different than people sitting in the bed of a truck other than the seats need to be made. sure, its not something EVERYONE does, but im not worried about EVERYONE. i think my idea would be perfect for me and at least a couple other people, which is fine. i dont plan on marketing this (unless there was high demand which it seems obvious there wont be lol). it is a working idea for ME and anyone else who likes it.

i was thinking... a chair like this would work alright. remove the seat from the legs, remove the two parts where the back meets the seating spot, and add two hinges. all that would be needed then is a way to mount it to the decklid area. if they were mounted in the spoiler-area, and handles were added, it could serve as transportation for 4 people around a large property such as a farm or fairgrounds

also, as a means of attaching it, i was thinking something like this might work? http://www.amazon.com/Bath-...Safety/dp/B0019Y384G

[This message has been edited by faaaaq (edited 04-18-2010).]

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
Use these folding boat seats. They fold flat enough to be stored in the trunk and they are very comfortable.
http://www.boatingseats.com...iew.asp?idproduct=84
PFF
System Bot
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Use these folding boat seats. They fold flat enough to be stored in the trunk and they are very comfortable.

they do look pretty nice, but $100 for the pair, plus whatever it will cost to fit them to the car, seems far too high. i could get used plastic seats from my old highschool, probably for free, cut them for free, and all id need to pay is for the hinges and the mounting system.

good suggestion tho. if i get lazy and end up with $100 spare sometime, i might just buy those seats lol
hinesb1890

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hinesb1890Click Here to visit hinesb1890's HomePageSend a Private Message to hinesb1890Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

These are very similar to the bleacher seats I recommended, I don't think they're that uncomfortable... they're at least a little cheaper but these may be worth the extra money. It might be hard to find a finished product to use that serves your comfort and price needs so it may be worth it to buy something cheap and add your own cushioning. Just an idea though

------------------

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hinesb1890:

These are very similar to the bleacher seats I recommended, I don't think they're that uncomfortable... they're at least a little cheaper but these may be worth the extra money. It might be hard to find a finished product to use that serves your comfort and price needs so it may be worth it to buy something cheap and add your own cushioning. Just an idea though

thats what i was thinking when i was talking about modifying an old plastic school chair. make if foldable, remove legs, add mounting mechanism somehow, and add custom cushions. cant see it costing more than $30, most expensive part being the mounting mechanism if i used the suction idea. if not, it would be WAYYYYYY cheaper. maybe $10-$15. if i got it built and had a way to make them real fast, would ANYONE be interested? i would only charge the EXACT price of the parts id use, plus shipping and $5-10 for labor. or id be willing to give schematics, parts list, and instructions to anyone for free. again, not planning to mass produce or market, just figure if anyone does happen to want some (unlikely lol), then why not help out lol.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
at the Fiero 20th anniv, there was a guy who had a HUGE front hood vent. some of us where joking that it could be a extra front seat.

so - this would be my answer to a 3rd seat. and what a fun place to be, eh?

edit: and, just for a quick seat, just remove the front hood. easy 6 bolts - 4x13mm & 2x10mm nuts and off it goes. can sit right on the spare tire, throw a pillow on the firewall and lean back.

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 04-19-2010).]

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

edit: and, just for a quick seat, just remove the front hood. easy 6 bolts - 4x13mm & 2x10mm nuts and off it goes. can sit right on the spare tire, throw a pillow on the firewall and lean back.

that would work alright, but im looking for comfortable seating for 2 lol. im set with doing it in the back, but still would very much like helpful suggestions. just please, nothing like "thats a really dumb idea..." and whatnot
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
I'm with you on this idea.

I think a rumble seat would be awesome. But that's just my crazy mind.

Brad
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

I'm with you on this idea.

I think a rumble seat would be awesome. But that's just my crazy mind.

Brad

its far too ambitious for my money to handle atm....but if something like that could be built into the front hood and storage area..........that would be sweet lol. would add a bit of weight to the front no less. (again, NOT for use while driving lol). of, something like them seat built into the rear decklid, folding backwards so they would hang over the back of the fiero so your feet would be positioned in the trunk. i would build and test both ideas ($200 total probably for some crappy fiberglass mockups) if i had the time, money, and a place to do the work
twofatguys

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
You know, I think it could be made for les than a hundred dollars. Pretty would cost more.

Bear with me, my mind is light lightening struck it.

Take and cut the trunk area out of the decklid, make a hinge that will make the top open and leave about 3 foot. Hook a piece of canvas to the bottom, where you would sit.

So the piece of decklid you cut out is the back, and the canvas is the seat.

A really fast, really crappy drawing I just made of the idea in my head.

Brad
faaaaq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2010 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post
that is very similar to what i was saying lol, just more well thought out :P. i would be very interested in doing that actually. even if it sucked, id do it just for fun, i love working with my hands. just gotta wait till i get some cash and i will try to make a few different kinds of seating and do a build thread :P
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock