Started on: 04-15-2010 07:44 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: fieroguru on 04-17-2010 06:28 PM
Fierokid87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
not to steel the thread but isnt there any footage online from when the Fiero's were competeing in the IMSA series?

------------------
Go here to see more of my Formula: " TARGET=_blank>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430754

IP: Logged
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierokid87:

not to steel the thread but isnt there any footage online from when the Fiero's were competeing in the IMSA series?

Take your pick...
http://www.google.com/#hl=e...&fp=467c3568f2eec009

There are more out there also.
MarineFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarineFieroSend a Private Message to MarineFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Check these videos. If you see something you like write down the time. Maybe we can get an idea of what your looking for.

The Orange Fiero crushing the vette at 1:56 is the 4.9 turbo mentioned above. Then the engine pictures start. Lots of 3800SC, Northstars, the 4.9 turbo, 2.8's, 3.4DOHC's, a couple LSX's, and some SBC's at the beginning of the video.

Looking through this, what is at 0:24-0:25? 1:14? 2:12? 2:19?
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
2:19 is a 3.4 DOHC with a turbo and a custom upper intake setup...
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayDirect Link to This Post
I've chosen to go with the 4.9 as my first swap. not much more difficult then the 3.4 pr.

But if you're not looking to do it on the smallest budjet possible go with a northstar or lsx or sbc imo...or a v12

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.

#12 NYFOC Member.

Hockaday's Fiero Wiki: http://fiero-wiki.wetpaint.com/

MarineFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarineFieroSend a Private Message to MarineFieroDirect Link to This Post
N* is already out.

Although... there's a place here called Crazy Ray's. It's a junkyar...oops. "Parts Garden" I wonder... hear me out. How difficult is the N*? How much fabricating and welding and stuff? Because Crazy Ray's sells everything for a fixed price. So I can get a 3cyl out of a geo metro or I can get the engine out of a Veyron (if one were there) for $185. I wonder since so many people are shouting N* if that is a decent course of action. I could get the engine pretty cheap.

Humor me. Thoughts?

(Sorry for the tangents... I'm still leaning to the 3.4DOHC or the 4.9 at this point but I know how smooth and powerful a N* swap is and if I can do it with not much hassle and a decent price, I'm for it.)
Fiero1K

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
The northstar is significantly more difficult than the 4.9 and TDC. The TDC is a frequently unreliable little bastard - AFAIK you have to drop the cradle to change the sparkplugs.

------------------
1988 Metallic Red Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252
"It's more exciting to drive about with your car on fire."
-Jeremy Clarkson
"Them things had a real problem with fire."
-Random Junkyard Dude

MarineFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarineFieroSend a Private Message to MarineFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I guess no N* especially for my lack of expertise haha.

Out of dreamland- i think I may be leaning more towards 4.9 now. I wish I had someone nearby who would help work on this that knew what they were doing.

Anyways what vehicle would I find the 4.9 and 3.4dohc in?
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Here's some numbers for you. I am just finishing up a 4.9 swap. I did everything I could to keep the cost down and got some good deals on most the items. The biggest expense for me was the wiring harness. There are a lot of folks on here that did thier own wirning harness and my hat goes off to them. It honestly scared the caca out of me so I just went and bought one already to go. If you buy one, plan on 750.00 but it's plug and play! I really wanted to try and do it on my own but I just do not have the skill, patience and time.

I went to the Mega Pull and scrounged most of the parts needed like inner axles. I used the Caddy auto trans. The mounts were straight forward and fairly easy to build. All I have left is the exhaust. I have about 1200.00 into as it sets. I got an excellent deal on the motor and trans. I would definitely do this swap again. I have 2 buddys here in El Paso with 4.9's in Fiero's and they are without a doubt a fun car to drive. Tons of grunt - I think it's a great swap for the Fiero. They can be dressed up pretty good too. Good Luck!

As it sets today!

Pat

Edit to add: This motor is out of a 92 Cadilac Sedan Deville. I think 91 to 94 or 95 Caddy's had the 4.9's?

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 04-17-2010).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
When I had a roadster fiero, I put a 1990 4.5 Caddy V8 in it... it isn't a race engine, but the 4.5/4.9 engines are good for daily driving, cruising, burnouts, and sound good.

You might be better off to spend time researching, getting buddies to take you for rides in fieros with engine swaps and settle on what engine you want. Then check ebay, craigslist or the mall for swapped fieros, pulled swaps or other good deals. Russ fiero was asking under $400 in the mall for a 4.1 caddy V8/4T60 that was pulled from one of his swapped fieros. It was a complete cradle/engine/tranny/harness/ecm drop out for an 84-87 fiero...

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 04-17-2010).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock