Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Re-importing a Fiero into the US (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Re-importing a Fiero into the US by yellowstone
Started on: 08-21-2009 04:10 PM
Replies: 147
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-21-2009 01:52 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
It has an alarm and we have 24- hour valet/security. There are much more valuable cars in that garage...

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

Since you live in a condo where the garage is down stairs make sure and get a two way pager alarm.

IP: Logged
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:
But - nothing is ever perfect with a Fiero! Just as I pulled into the parking garage at home the engine overheat light came on and the car started spilling coolant from the front overflow tank.

It's like travelling with cats. Did you give it some Fiero Valium before the trip? I know with cats as soon as they get out of their travel crate, they'll puke and crap all over everyone due to stress from the trip.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I did have a ramp. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all!

Originally posted by randye:

Just a stupid question if I may...
You did have some ramps to get the car out of the container yes?

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
How did customs get the car moved to check behind it?

Brad
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I did have a ramp. Otherwise it wouldn't have worked at all!

OK.
Like I said, it was a stupid question but worth asking anyway...
If you don't already have one, you might also consider running a colder thermostat and fan switch here in FL, (just a thought)
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Question. In all, how much did it cost you to have the Fiero shipped back to the states?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I left a key in the car and told them where to find it...

Originally posted by twofatguys:

How did customs get the car moved to check behind it?

Brad

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
All in all, the shipping of a 20" container was $3,431.15. It really doesn't matter what's in it. Mine was pretty empty with all the unused space above the car.

That includes:
- Truck and trainer rental in Germany and fuel
- Container stuffing
- Export paperwork
- Loading at harbor
- Sea freight
- Insurance
- Import paperwork
- ISF (security) filing
- Unloading at harbor
- Customs inspection and UPS costs for that
- Container trucking in Miami
- Van rental in Miami and fuel

Keep in mind that some costs were in Euro and with the Euro that strong the dollar sum looks big. Since I paid the Euro portion in Euros from my German account that didn't matter to me...

Originally posted by madcurl:

Question. In all, how much did it cost you to have the Fiero shipped back to the states?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Comparing the recent cost to the states- do you think it will be more to ship back or is the cost the same either way? Also, since the container was nearly empty; do you think you could add additional items inside like 3800SC or something along those lines?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
You can take (almost) whatever you like in the container. I have no idea re. freight rates to Europe but I have contacts if you want to find out. Be aware that I didn't have to pay import duties because I was taking personal belongings as part of a move. If you are not moving to Europe, you will have to pay duties (depending on the items) and VAT (e.g. 19% for Germany).

I did as much as possible myself which lowered the overall cost. If you outsource more it will cost more.

Originally posted by madcurl:

Comparing the recent cost to the states- do you think it will be more to ship back or is the cost the same either way? Also, since the container was nearly empty; do you think you could add additional items inside like 3800SC or something along those lines?

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I bought a new radiator cap and topped off the coolant system and all is back to normal :-)

Took the Fiero on a spin up Collins Ave. in Miami Beach this morning but the weather is so-so (warm but windy). I also still have German license plates that's why I don't want to be on the streets too much. I'll go and apply for a FL title and tags on Monday...
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I bought a new radiator cap and topped off the coolant system and all is back to normal :-) .

Good news...I predicted you would be okay after a top off.

Make sure you don't get too many speeding tickets getting used to the states again. Florida only lets you take defensive driving 5 times in your entire life. I know because I only have two left and I'm saving them for my retirement years.

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

and I'm saving them for my retirement years.

Why you want to come down here?there is enough old farts here on Miami beach blocking the crosswalks at 1 mph
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2009 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Why you want to come down here?there is enough old farts here on Miami beach blocking the crosswalks at 1 mph

It's the law. When you turn 65, you have to move to Florida.
You also get a lifetime supply of dinner coupons at Denny's, but they can only be redeemed from 3PM - 6PM.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 11-07-2009).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:
You also get a lifetime supply of dinner coupons at Denny's, but they can only be redeemed from 3PM - 6PM.

That's good, 6:30 is pushing it, I hate staying up late
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
First nice FL pix are in!

On Ocean Drive:

On McArthur Causeway towards Miami:

On the bridges to Star, Palm and Hibiscus Islands:

larini74

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larini74Click Here to visit larini74's HomePageSend a Private Message to larini74Direct Link to This Post
It's looking good....hope to see you at Daytona next year....we are going to the car show/swap meet in Zephyrhills this Saturday.....
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I have a new desktop pic (1280x800). If anyone wants it, too, here it is:

Newbfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NewbfieroSend a Private Message to NewbfieroDirect Link to This Post
Thx yellowstone for the desktop pic .Happy to see you got your car safe to the US . Now you.ll have to have some Video on some drive down there . Be cool to watch .

Rob

[This message has been edited by Newbfiero (edited 11-09-2009).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on getting the car here.

See ya at Daytona.

------------------

Click here for all your Fiberglass part needs

Puckhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckheadSend a Private Message to PuckheadDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstone, I wish I'd have run across this thread BEFORE you went through all that. I could have told you It was going to take longer than expected and cost more than you thought when I saw the picture of your ship. Did it really come over on the St. Louis Express?? You see I LIVE in St. Louis and I assure you that is an oxymoron. "St. Louis" and "Express" shouldn't be used in the same sentence. NOTHING in St. Louis moves quickly (except RRunners race car and he lives far enough from STL not to be sucked in by the slowness) also nothing in St. Louis is cheap. (except maybe the Cardinals front office, but, I'll reserve judgement until after we find out if Matt Holliday is staying or going) Yep brother you were doomed before it even left port.......

-T
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I take that this was meant as a joke... :-)

The St. Louis Express has nothing to do with with the city other than the name. It's owned by Hapag-Lloyd, a German shipping line and usually runs between Houston/New Orleans/Miami/Charlotte and Rotterdam/Bremerhaven/London.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-12-2009).]

ChuckLS1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChuckLS1Send a Private Message to ChuckLS1Direct Link to This Post
Beautiful Car!!

------------------
Chuck
88 Formula W/fastback
09 Dodge Caliber SXT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2009 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Now that the car is in North America, perhaps a trip to North Illinois is in order???

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Honestly, the chop is not my cup of tea. Archies widebody sounds better...
skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
I think yellowstone's is the only GT that doesn't look better with a chop... As it is, everything just fits.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
Some thing not looking good about chopping that car , some of the chop tops looks disproportionate like they been run over by a steam roller, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2009 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Some thing not looking good about chopping that car , some of the chop tops looks disproportionate like they been run over by a steam roller, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I guess...but when I look at a stock Fiero now it looks like someone grabbed the top and stretched it to unusual proportions.

The other thing on the GTs I prefer the tinted quarter windows. Otherwise when you look from the side the fastback looks even notchier than the notchback.

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-21-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock