Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Re-importing a Fiero into the US (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Re-importing a Fiero into the US by yellowstone
Started on: 08-21-2009 04:10 PM
Replies: 147
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-21-2009 01:52 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Getting very, very close. ETA is Sunday.

Already went to customs yesterday and successfully got the container released :-)
IP: Logged
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Hi Kolja
Are you picking the car up on Sunday or waiting until Monday?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2009 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I will speak to the company that gets the container out of the harbor (it not possible to do this myself, so there go another $220) on Monday morning. Then I will know if I can pick it up the same day or not.

I already reserved my specialty license plate "GT 87"...
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Here it is
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
First sighting of "my" ship from our balcony this morning:

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 10-31-2009).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
It's here!

http://www.digital-seas.com...ess_q48173.html#maps

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 10-31-2009).]

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2009 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Please post pics when you get it.

I am hoping you might be able to bring it to Daytona .

It would be really nice to see you car in person.
Swedish Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2009 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Swedish FieroClick Here to visit Swedish Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Swedish FieroDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Kolja.. Good choice to ship it over the seas, was afraid you might sell it for a while there !!!

Hope to see more updates on your homepage now when you are re-united again !

Planing AUS Stage II myself for this winter

------------------
Swedish Fiero

Dedicated owner of an 88 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by Swedish Fiero (edited 11-01-2009).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2009 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Didn't get my Fiero today - customs has the container for an inspection tomorrow. I will probably get it Wednesday...
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2009 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
If customs is involved, did the say Wednesday of December or January?
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
It's Wednesday----inquiring minds want to know.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Now it's tomorrow... hopefully.

Customs is receiving the container for inspection right now and will (fingers crossed) be done by 3 pm. That's to late to pick it up today.

What I'm scared about is the fact that the officer said they would have to take the car out of the container to get to the other stuff that's behind it. Good I took the side mirrors off...

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-04-2009).]

Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
That is the general procedure involved , aside from customs FDA, CDC, DEA also check the for any thing like food and plants or any thing hazzardous especially since it is coming from europe.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:
...especially since it is coming from europe.

What's up with Europe? Last time I checked that was one part of the world that was pretty civilized. I would be more worried if a shipment came from Asia, Africa or South America...
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Powned....

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Powned....

lmao,..pretty awesome.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
VERY cool photoshop! Hope that's not what's happening right now...
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
And the saga continues....

I call customs this afternoon and they say the container has been released. Great, I think, and call the trucker to schedule the pick-up for tomorrow. That guy tells me that his system shows that while the container has cleared customs, there's now a shipping line hold on it. So I call the shipping line and (after being on hold for a looooong time) find out that that's because I now owe $200 for the "service" of having my container checked by U.S. customs (as if I asked for that!).

OK, I ask, where do I go and pay that? I'm in a hurry because tomorrow is the last day I can have the container at the harbor without incurring storage fees! Well, that's not that easy. First customs needs to invoice the shipping company and then I need to send them a certified check or money order to an office in Tennessee by mail (no credit card or wire transfers accepted). How long does that take, I ask, and am told that it may be up to a week. I explain my situation and in the end the shipping line is customer-oriented enough to "let" me pay upfront. It's 4.30 pm now and I run out of the house, get a money order and go to UPS where I pay another $60 to have it sent overnight to Tennessee. Then I e-mail a copy of the money order and the shipping confirmation to the shipping line. By that time, there's no-one in the office anymore who could authorize the release of my shipment...

Now it continues tomorrow at 9 am. If I can get the shipment released I will call the trucker to get the container (another $220). Then I will get a U-Haul truck (about $40) and, together with a friend, will go and get the Fiero and the other items back to our place. I will drive the Fiero with the German plates and hope for the best (at least I already have FL insurance for it).

Then I will go to a notary to have the VIN verified ($10) and afterwards to the DMV to apply for a FL title and vanity plates (GT 87).

I sincerely don't understand how world trade works as smoothly as it seems to do with all the bureaucracy involved...

Let's hope for the best.

Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

And the saga continues....

Then I will get a U-Haul truck (about $40) and, together with a friend, will go and get the Fiero and the other items back to our place.

Don't tell Uhaul that you are towing a Fiero or they will not rent you the truck and trailer to tow it .
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boogaloo:

Don't tell Uhaul that you are towing a Fiero or they will not rent you the truck and trailer to tow it .

That's only true for Tow Dollys...with trailers they don't care.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

I will drive the Fiero with the German plates and hope for the best (at least I already have FL insurance for it).

No tow dolly or trailer needed...

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

i don't know what the fees are down in Dade County, but in Orlando to just register a vehicle from out of state for the first time, and get tags costs about $500 !

In Sept it was only about $225, it has since doubled !
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

In Sept it was only about $225, it has since doubled !

That's cheap. Texas has it's own version of the "new wheels on the road" law and we have to pay 6% of the appraised value or blue book which ever is greater; even if it's a $200 beater car, you pay 6% on thousands.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
They bit me hard a while back. We put a S10 Blazer in the grandsons name while he was using it at SHSU. When he left school and gave us back my Blazer we had to pay taxes on $2500.00 FOR MY OWN CAR.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 11-04-2009).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

When he left schoo and gave us back my Blazer we had to pay taxes on $2500.00 FOR MY OWN CAR.

You could have invoked the "gift" loophole and only paid $10, at least you used to be able to do that, maybe they closed that hole.

Twenty years ago when I moved to FL it was cheap, I think I only paid the normal fees, but shortly afterwards they invoked these rules to extract as much cash as they can from the newcomers.
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2009 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

You could have invoked the "gift" loophole and only paid $10, at least you used to be able to do that, maybe they closed that hole.

Twenty years ago when I moved to FL it was cheap, I think I only paid the normal fees, but shortly afterwards they invoked these rules to extract as much cash as they can from the newcomers.

We had a nice heated discussion at the tax office. He just gave MY car back to ME. Wasn't a gift. It was always my car. Just in his name for insurance purposes. He was under 24 years of age.

I did not pass 'Go' or collect $200.00. But I did have to pay the sales tax to take ownership in my name. Hate those SOB's

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 11-04-2009).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Get used to it the tax man needs to fund the buracracy.. Did you read that California was going to withold an addition 10% from workers salary to pay for the deficits, then you get to file for a refund next year and get an IOU from the state for the extra taxes you paid.

I'll get my tag tax for the four cars I have licensed in Fl, next month. I can hardly wait for that bill.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

We had a nice heated discussion at the tax office. He just gave MY car back to ME. Wasn't a gift. It was always my car.

I feel your pain, but instead of arguing with them, I would have just played their game and asked for the gift form, filled it out and gave them the 10 bucks and called it a day.

It really tweaks me to pay $200 for a title to a parts car just so I can legally scrap it. I would rather buy a torch and cut it up into little pieces and leave it in the DMV trash dumpster.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Success!

But - nothing is ever perfect with a Fiero! Just as I pulled into the parking garage at home the engine overheat light came on and the car started spilling coolant from the front overflow tank.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Probably pining for the Fjords mate! Oh, wait, that's Norway isn't it (Monty Python Parrot sketch!).

Nice to see it made it in one piece though, I've been following with interest.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Success!

But - nothing is ever perfect with a Fiero! Just as I pulled into the parking garage at home the engine overheat light came on and the car started spilling coolant from the front overflow tank.

Nice! It's been in the states for a minute and it's already complaining about the Florida heat.

If Putin had got his way you could have driven it over:

http://www.timesonline.co.u...e/article3646415.ece

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

She just got all excited to see you again.
Glad you finally got it here.
I still have that gift for your car too...
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Well isant that a nice welcomeing it gave you.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Stuck thermostat???
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2009 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Washed her and laid her to rest in her new home in the parking garage below the condo building... I'll deal with the coolant tomorrow.

I doubt it's a stuck thermostat since I drove about 15 miles before the temperature went up. Possibly loss of a bit of coolant in the 1.5 years it was stored and therefore an air bubble in the system. Is there an agreement on the best coolant fill procedure? I haven't done it in a few years...

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 11-05-2009).]

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Maybe this is part of why they slowed your procedure. Once they see a problem they start making everyone pay when they decide to do their jobs. Rick B

Does Cliff collect VW's?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/..._us/us_recovered_van
Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCDirect Link to This Post
Maybe the car was a little sea sick and then the shock of see sunlight for the first time in two weeks was too much.

Either way, it may it safely.
Boogaloo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooDirect Link to This Post
Since you live in a condo where the garage is down stairs make sure and get a two way pager alarm.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

I doubt it's a stuck thermostat since I drove about 15 miles before the temperature went up. Possibly loss of a bit of coolant in the 1.5 years it was stored and therefore an air bubble in the system. Is there an agreement on the best coolant fill procedure? I haven't done it in a few years...

Just a stupid question if I may...
You did have some ramps to get the car out of the container yes?

If not, are you sure you didn't damage your coolant tubes getting it out??
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2009 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

Just a stupid question if I may...

If not, are you sure you didn't damage your coolant tubes getting it out??

Good question, but I don't think the coolant tubes can be damaged without the rocker panels cracking first. It might be possible if you hit it at just the right angle, but unlikely in my opinion.

I think Kolja's idea is the correct one, it probably just lost a little coolant and developed an air bubble.

The quickest and easiest way to burp in my opnion is to park the car nose down and open it in the back and remove the thermostat. Fill it all the way to the top (with 50/50 mix) and start the car, let it run for a little while, but not too long as it will get hot and start spitting water out the top. Shut it off and then top it off again. Put the thermostat back in and close it off.

Same thing happened to my car...after sitting in body shops for 5 years first time I got it on the road it puke coolant all over the place. I topped it off and it's been fine ever since.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock