Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Look what I found in the junkyard (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Look what I found in the junkyard by LT188GT
Started on: 03-06-2009 11:07 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: RickN on 07-25-2009 01:32 PM
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
What do you see out of the ordinary? Besides a 86 Zimmer.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopDirect Link to This Post
Pull the power steering out of that thing.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Removed, cleaned, painted, replaced some "O" rings and sold it all in one week.

Pull the power steering out of that thing.[/QUOTE]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm confused. What does the first picture have to do with any of this?

Originally posted by LT188GT:

SuperchargedV6

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SuperchargedV6Send a Private Message to SuperchargedV6Direct Link to This Post
Zimmers had power steering in them and there a Fiero rebody. Rick B

[This message has been edited by SuperchargedV6 (edited 03-06-2009).]

Philero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhileroSend a Private Message to PhileroDirect Link to This Post
Did they relocate the radiator fill neck to the rear of the Zimmers?

BTW, I have seen them before, but it really took me a good look to notice that was actually a Zimmer.

------------------
Phil
Always trying to create something new!
Philero ~ Phil and his Fiero, melding into one (soon to be my license plate too!)

1984whitesc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984whitescClick Here to visit 1984whitesc's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1984whitescDirect Link to This Post
That's a kind of a sad site to see a rare car in the junk yard. Altough, it's nice to see that the parts are going to a good cause.

------------------
Thank for the sig. Bobadoofunk
1984 Fiero Sport Coupe
1988 Buick Reatta
1990 Buick Reatta
1993 Grand Prix LE

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SuperchargedV6:

Zimmers had power steering in them and there a Fiero rebody.

Ah, I didn't know (or had forgotten) what a Zimmer was.

I've been enlightened. Thanks!

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
nice job on cleaning up that rack!

Some people may raise an eyebrow... but I have ALWAYS wanted one of those...

Had an opportunity to pick one up in '01 for 13k at an auction... but you had to pay in full

------------------

<---- did you buy Cliff a beer?

Bradley Jay

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradley JaySend a Private Message to Bradley JayDirect Link to This Post
PM sent.
PFF
System Bot
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Replied to your PM.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Anyone ever tell you you have a nice rack? LOL!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Removed, cleaned, painted, replaced some "O" rings and sold it all in one week.

Pull the power steering out of that thing.

[/QUOTE]

Question(s); how is it that Zimmer figured out how-to apply power sterring earlier than GM in 88? If there wasn't any issues using the Zimmer p/s unit- why the need for the electric one? Are the p/s racks the same regardless of the type of p/s system? Enquiring minds would like to know.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
did you get the dash? Looks like it would be worth the time to pull... considering it would be a bolt in for someone.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

did you get the dash? Looks like it would be worth the time to pull... considering it would be a bolt in for someone.

... as well as the door panels and seats.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
To answer the above questions
Curly--I do not have an answer for you as I do not know.

darkhorizon and Patrick---The person that told me about the car told me that after I removed the P.S.(the 1st day) it was stripped of just about everything. I have not been back to confirm. Sorry.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

To answer the above questions
Curly--I do not have an answer for you as I do not know.

darkhorizon and Patrick---The person that told me about the car told me that after I removed the P.S.(the 1st day) it was stripped of just about everything. I have not been back to confirm. Sorry.

Those unique Zimmer body parts are quite rare so if you own one of these tanks they would be worth keeping. If I am not mistaken that power steering setup looks like one from an old Ford Pinto.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE WILDCAT"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The dash lookd hurt on the top but the glove box may be usable.

The door panels and seats look dirty but un cut. I would love to have the door panels in my car.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Everyone knows that'll buff right out!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:
Question(s); how is it that Zimmer figured out how-to apply power sterring earlier than GM in 88? If there wasn't any issues using the Zimmer p/s unit- why the need for the electric one? Are the p/s racks the same regardless of the type of p/s system? Enquiring minds would like to know.

After rumors, speculation and a little guess work on my part I have come to the conclusion that the power steering itself was not the issue or problem. The reason for the Elecrto Hydraulic power steering was better fuel economy. The hope was that the electric hydraulic pump would use less energy over time than a constant running mechanical pump.
Then figure in all the money for research and development and the drop in sells of the Fiero thru the years. Each year the Fiero sold, they sold a smaller number of them. So GM realized a "need" for power steering in the pre88 but "salved" the need by implementing the 88 suspension. For any further "need" of power steering, GM would need to sell a lot more cars to pay for the retooling and all other costs associated with a major change like power steering. GM decided the need and cost of the system would not pay off so they dropped it then killed the Fiero all together.

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Then figure in all the money for research and development and the drop in sells of the Fiero thru the years. Each year the Fiero sold, they sold a smaller number of them. So GM realized a "need" for power steering in the pre88 but "salved" the need by implementing the 88 suspension. For any further "need" of power steering, GM would need to sell a lot more cars to pay for the retooling and all other costs associated with a major change like power steering. GM decided the need and cost of the system would not pay off so they dropped it then killed the Fiero all together.

Thanks Rick for detailed info. To add to what you've mentioned- I was wondering too about the retooling R&D involving the darn electro p/s units, especially since most of the old style p/s parts could've been picked from the parts bin. Heck, that R&D could've been spent on a better v6. GM- the more I think about them, the more my blood pressure increases.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

The dash looked hurt on the top but the glove box may be usable.

I think if you look closely at the interior picture you'll see that the top of the dash is probably fine. I believe it's just some sort of a "sun/UV" protector sitting on top of the dash that looks weird.

The person that told me about the car told me that after I removed the P.S.(the 1st day) it was stripped of just about everything.

I guess that shouldn't come as any great surprise. You were very fortunate you got what you did!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-08-2009).]

htexans1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
The Zimmer corp used Mustang II steering pump hardware, and '84-88 "Merkur" (Ford Sierra) steering racks from the XR4Ti car (remember those?)

They then made brackets and high pressure hoses to fit in the Fieros engine compartment.

Why the need for P/S?

Look at all that weight added by the conversion to 1970s Lincoln Mark IV.

How do I know?

Zimmer was the parent of Mobile Traveler, Inc, when I worked there. The owner of Zimmer would drive one (qicksilver) to the MT plant sometimes.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Thanks Rick for detailed info. To add to what you've mentioned- I was wondering too about the retooling R&D involving the darn electro p/s units, especially since most of the old style p/s parts could've been picked from the parts bin. Heck, that R&D could've been spent on a better v6. GM- the more I think about them, the more my blood pressure increases.
i could see you rockin one of these dude

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
I could see you rockin one of these dude

I'm already rocking with two p/s units.

I just need one more unit and I'll be.....

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 03-08-2009).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

I'm already rocking with two p/s units.

I just need one more unit and I'll be.....

haha nah i mean a full fledged zimmer i like them

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

haha nah i mean a full fledged zimmer i like them

Nah, not me. I'm more of a chop, sleek, one-off ...

kinda guy.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That is downright ugly
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

kinda guy.
haha true caddy cien iv always liked them.sucks they never hit producion

BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by htexans1:

The Zimmer corp used Mustang II steering pump hardware, and '84-88 "Merkur" (Ford Sierra) steering racks from the XR4Ti car (remember those?)

They then made brackets and high pressure hoses to fit in the Fieros engine compartment.

Why the need for P/S?

Look at all that weight added by the conversion to 1970s Lincoln Mark IV.

How do I know?

Zimmer was the parent of Mobile Traveler, Inc, when I worked there. The owner of Zimmer would drive one (qicksilver) to the MT plant sometimes.

So what modifactions did the steering racks from the XR4Ti need to work with the Zimmer?

PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

That is downright ugly

I guess you had to be there......(at the time)

Cordially,
Kevin

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post
THE FIERO LOOKS WAY BETTER THAT THIS

ITS TOO LONG

proff

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2009 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for proffClick Here to visit proff's HomePageSend a Private Message to proffDirect Link to This Post

proff

7393 posts
Member since Oct 2004
MAKE THIS FROM A FIERO
PLEASE

kinda guy.

DRUELING
DRUELING
DRUELING
DRUELING
DRUELING
DRUELING
DRUELING

proff needs a cold shower after looking at this photo of this car

[This message has been edited by proff (edited 03-08-2009).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

That is downright ugly

Originally posted by proff:

THE FIERO LOOKS WAY BETTER THAT THIS

ITS TOO LONG

Yeah, I have to admit I think Pimpmobile when I see it.
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

After rumors, speculation and a little guess work on my part I have come to the conclusion that the power steering itself was not the issue or problem. The reason for the Elecrto Hydraulic power steering was better fuel economy. The hope was that the electric hydraulic pump would use less energy over time than a constant running mechanical pump.

The '88 suspension didn't take away the "need" for power steering I don't believe (though it did reduce steering effort). The internal letters regarding the '88 power steering cite problems with the units coming out of the Saginaw plant, not any kind of financial reason for nixing the elctro-hydraulic power steering that was supposed to debut on the '88's. Just FYI. If you have further info, please share! I am collecting everything I can.

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 03-09-2009).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Yeah, I have to admit I think Pimpmobile when I see it.

id still rock it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

id still rock it.

You'd throw stones at it?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post03-09-2009 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 04-21-2009).]

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

I guess you had to be there......(at the time)

Cordially,
Kevin

I was there, it was ugly back then too The proportions were wrong and the styling cues were already dated even when new.

Time hasn't helped it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock