Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Look what I found in the junkyard (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Look what I found in the junkyard by LT188GT
Started on: 03-06-2009 11:07 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: RickN on 07-25-2009 01:32 PM
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
You should grab that dash and get it redone
IP: Logged
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2009 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

After rumors, speculation and a little guess work on my part I have come to the conclusion that the power steering itself was not the issue or problem. The reason for the Elecrto Hydraulic power steering was better fuel economy. The hope was that the electric hydraulic pump would use less energy over time than a constant running mechanical pump.
Then figure in all the money for research and development and the drop in sells of the Fiero thru the years. Each year the Fiero sold, they sold a smaller number of them. So GM realized a "need" for power steering in the pre88 but "salved" the need by implementing the 88 suspension. For any further "need" of power steering, GM would need to sell a lot more cars to pay for the retooling and all other costs associated with a major change like power steering. GM decided the need and cost of the system would not pay off so they dropped it then killed the Fiero all together.

Funny that they would do it as a cost saving measure when they retooled the whole chassis line and respec'd the cradle and back half of the car for the suspension upgrades in 88 and then sh*t canned the car.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

Funny that they would do it as a cost saving measure when they retooled the whole chassis line and respec'd the cradle and back half of the car for the suspension upgrades in 88 and then sh*t canned the car.

Well GM has been crapping on there own feet for a while. The Fiero should have debued with the 88 suspension. Then they said "lets save money" so they held off on the 88 suspension and spent money on adapting other stuff (must have made sense to somebody at the time?) So the crappy pre88 suspension was to hard to steer, so they enterained the idea of power steering. My guess is that they decided the 88 suspension did not need the power steering like the pre88 did so they stopped the program.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2009 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Well, I also think that the power steering was put on hold because it wasn't perfect and with the bad rap the Fiero got, do you really want to give the media more ammo by putting in a noisy, or limited use electric steering? The Fiero was going to be canceled anyway, so why not just stop the use of the steering unit?

J.
The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
The car is named the "QuickSilver" made by Zimmer

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2009 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
damn, not too great of a design, but i love their front trunk space. but still, what a rare find to end up in a junkyard. i woulda tried to get the whole car, repair it and hide it away.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

LsJuan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LsJuanSend a Private Message to LsJuanDirect Link to This Post
I was deployed when this thread was posted, wish I knew about it. I have been working on and off on restoring a quicksilver. I could have used some parts off of it, more importantly I could have got you to snatch anything off of it for future use. I recall that car being for sale the past year or so.

Do you know if it is still sitting there?
redfieroman2

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-24-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redfieroman2Send a Private Message to redfieroman2Direct Link to This Post
if thats U Pull it(and it looks like it) its not there anymore, i just went there recently i would have noticed it.

BTW, i drove a real Zimmer Quicksilver once, when i worked valet. Long nose ,auto transmission and the thing was not fun. The same guy who owned the Zimmer used to go to a house down the street from me, so i saw it many times long before i drove it.
LsJuan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LsJuanSend a Private Message to LsJuanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by redfieroman2:

if thats U Pull it(and it looks like it) its not there anymore, i just went there recently i would have noticed it.

BTW, i drove a real Zimmer Quicksilver once, when i worked valet. Long nose ,auto transmission and the thing was not fun. The same guy who owned the Zimmer used to go to a house down the street from me, so i saw it many times long before i drove it.

My grandfather bought his brand new, gave it to me 2 years ago. I dont mind driving something that is 1 or 170 every blue moon lol.

thats too bad, I would have taken all of those emblems thats for sure. Even the front bumper.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

That is downright ugly

But the best of pimps would be proud to own this car. . All you need is the black hat with the white feather to complete the effect.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2009 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
Never heard of a Zimmer. I would of walked past that car 100 times with no clue what was under the body.

Spoon

ps: Now for the research.....

------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

PFF
System Bot
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2009 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philero:

Did they relocate the radiator fill neck to the rear of the Zimmers?...

I'm assuming your question is about this picture.

I believe you're seeing the power steering reservoir mounted to the trunk bulkhead.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft Tilt Bed Trailer

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C