Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Subwoofer placement debate thread.... (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Subwoofer placement debate thread.... by pavo_roddy
Started on: 01-27-2007 03:46 AM
Replies: 97
Last post by: TommyRocker on 03-10-2010 02:25 PM
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2009 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
I have mine under the dash where the factory one goes. Its one of wikkidones 8'in boxes. I have a kicker comp vr dual voice coil in it and the speaker matches that box perfectly. Its powered by a 600 watt MTX amp and has more then enough power to run that speaker without exceeding the output of the speaker or the amps ability to push. The other thing that needs to be considered is are you going with a dual or single coil sub. A dual voice coil will hit harder then a single voice coil. Theoretically an 8 inch dvc should hit as hard as a single voice coil 10 due to more punch prom the twin coils. The quality of the speaker counts as well; if you get the ghetto dvc speaker and think its going to hit think again. My comp vr hits hard enough that people actually turn and look from over 100 feet away because the bass can reach out and slap em. Its all about size and how well the sound can develop withing the space in question. Too much bass and you get compression and the bass distorts, or you get standing waves which also cause the bass to become muddy and indistinct. In reality it is the system that is in balance that will sound louder and hit harder.
IP: Logged
JennsDream

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2009 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JennsDreamSend a Private Message to JennsDreamDirect Link to This Post
i have a sub/amp combo unit that is about 3 inches thick and 18 inches long.

it hides very cleanly behind the passenger seat and you can't tell at all that it's there until you hear it - and it's got some SWEEEEEEET sound.

i have heard many different types of set ups for amps and subs in fieros and i think that my set up is one of the best, especially if you are attempting to keep it more "stock" looking.

the passenger is able to sit very comfortably without any restrictions to how far back they sit or where their legs sit.

you can get them through the crutchfield catalog. they are made by pioneer. they run roughly $199.00.

i got mine at an electronics store in the area for $150.00 out the door. it was hooked up and ready to boom in about 15 minutes.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

When you port a box from the spare tire area to the cabin, using some kinda tubing...... Does the length of the tubing change the sound at all?

HI all

Quick bump ttt..........

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2009 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

When using a port tube, from a subwoofer, does the length/shape of it change the sound?

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

faaaaq

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for faaaaqSend a Private Message to faaaaqDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

When using a port tube, from a subwoofer, does the length/shape of it change the sound?

yes. In a ported enclosure, the port is used to do most, if not all, of the tuning for the woofer
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2010 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
I think the best place would be behind the seat. I like the placement in the center console but it being there exposes your system when the car is parked and unattended. Im not a big fan oif under the dash because it looks like it affects your legroom
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

yes. In a ported enclosure, the port is used to do most, if not all, of the tuning for the woofer

HI all

Kinda thought it would, thanx buddy!!

------------------
Enzo Ferrari....

Enzo Ferrari...

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by faaaaq:

I agree, and must stress the importance. I think I'm the first with a bandpass enclosure up front. The most important part is doing the math to match the sub, space, and port tube size/length. For me, the rest lays in the hands of my Audison BitOne (love that thing!). If the tube size/length doesn't match the set-up, tuning it right on is nearly impossible. The same goes if you don't have the proper space, but unlike polyfill... There aren't any quick fixes if your tube is too short to make it to the open port.

Greg

------------------

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 03-10-2010).]

aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzDirect Link to This Post
This is what I'm waiting for! It's for an 8 inch sub.

Originally posted by Black Pegasus:

Finally, I took some pictures of the fitting. Sorry for the bright red color, while doing the project and to make a better finish of sanding (Sanding clear makes a better finish and is easier than sanding putty, fiberglass and everything else) I was doing some paint test for my futur color of my Fiero

Here is the hole where the enclosure will fit (Note that you need to relocate the chime module):

The enclosure will go up this way:

Here is the fitting without the dash:

Here is the fitting with the dash:

Now the subwoofer hole:

And now is a important thing we do not want to forget, that above the subwoofer enclosure there is a 4X10 speeker. So we adaped the enclosure like this:

Here is all the pictures I can give you that I can think of right now. I hope you like it. Feel free to leave comments!

Fred

[This message has been edited by aeffertz (edited 03-09-2010).]

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 03-10-2010).]

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Since the fiero is one of the worst cars accoustically constructed ever. It may better to fake the bass I would think under the dash upgraded woofer 8 or 10 and some resinators under the seats would be best to obtain an overall balance without overkill. Although nearly all car sytems reverse home audio by putting the bass to the rear the reason home audio has it too the front is it had the option unlike the car. If you can put bass to the front do it.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Since the fiero is one of the worst cars accoustically constructed ever. It may better to fake the bass I would think under the dash upgraded woofer 8 or 10 and some resinators under the seats would be best to obtain an overall balance without overkill. Although nearly all car sytems reverse home audio by putting the bass to the rear the reason home audio has it too the front is it had the option unlike the car. If you can put bass to the front do it.

Bass location does not matter. The lower frequencies are omni-directional. If the system is set-up/tuned correctly you should not be able to tell where the subwoofer is mounted.
All cars are "accoustically challenged". The key to setting up a proper system is to first find out the resonate frequency of the interior of the car. This is very important when setting up a system for sound quality. Second is to mount/stage the system correctly. One advantage the Fiero has is that it uses larger speakers up front and has no back seat so the front stage/rear fill concept works very well. The problem that some folks have is by installing too much. The Fiero interior is a small area. You do not need four 12" subs and a gazillion speakes driven by 10,000W's of amplifiers to get a high quality sound at a loud volume. Then again some folks care more about loudness than the quality of the music.

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

I think the best place would be behind the seat. I like the placement in the center console but it being there exposes your system when the car is parked and unattended. Im not a big fan oif under the dash because it looks like it affects your legroom

My sub is in the footwell and I lost very little legroom.
Behind the seats only works if the woofers are large enough and you have enough power to push the sound thru the seats. The seats with people in them actually muffles some of the sound.
Under the dash pointing down would be the ideal location but places to mount woofers is limited.
dbjunkies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dbjunkiesClick Here to visit dbjunkies's HomePageSend a Private Message to dbjunkiesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

I agree, and must stress the importance. I think I'm the first with a bandpass enclosure up front. The most important part is doing the math to match the sub, space, and port tube size/length. For me, the rest lays in the hands of my Audison BitOne (love that thing!). If the tube size/length doesn't match the set-up, tuning it right on is nearly impossible. The same goes if you don't have the proper space, but unlike polyfill... There aren't any quick fixes if your tube is too short to make it to the open port.

Greg

Do you have any pics of your bandpass setup? -- I came across these....

Did you do something similar....where did you come through with the port?
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dbjunkies:

Do you have any pics of your bandpass setup? -- I came across these....

Did you do something similar....where did you come through with the port?

Yes, I have the port completely hidden. It is up near the carpet's edge under the dash. I have to go take new pics, but will only have time to tomorrow.

Do you have any other pics of that set-up?

Greg
dbjunkies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dbjunkiesClick Here to visit dbjunkies's HomePageSend a Private Message to dbjunkiesDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CTDIV:

This is a great thread. I have been reading and there is a lot of great information on here. I wanted to add that I have done a front mounted sub in the spare tire compartment. The link for it is listed here. http://www.crutchfieldadvis...room/daly_fiero.html

The thing that I find cool about the sub being in the front is the VERY noticible difference of having the bass coming at you, rather then behind you. It is very hard to discribe but there is difference. I have since sold the car that was featured in the article. I am however building another one.

To answer a couple of questions about the front mounted sub. There is no gush of air that you hear through the port. I find that it is very nessesary to port the box other wise you do not get the full effect. In the box that I made, and have more of, I did not lose the AC. As a matter of fact when I was making the box I went through several prototypes to make sure that I got the maximun volumn of air without losing any function of the car. (exept for the spare tire)

The down side that most people express to me in this option, is the fact that you have to cut the floor board. My reply to this is that if you feel the slightest apprehension do not do it. However if you want great sound and all the room in side the car that you have become used to, it is the best way to go. In my humble opinion.

Great thread and keep sharing info.

actually found it on this link earlier in thread....I'm leaning on this type of setup...wonder if there would be enough room for a 12" up there?
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dbjunkies:

actually found it on this link earlier in thread....I'm leaning on this type of setup...wonder if there would be enough room for a 12" up there?

Can you copy/paste from the location at Crutchfield? Pennocks shortens the address with "..." which messes up redirecting links here copy/paste/quote style.

Thanks,
Greg
dbjunkies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dbjunkiesClick Here to visit dbjunkies's HomePageSend a Private Message to dbjunkiesDirect Link to This Post
weird, I can click on it n it redirects ok.....http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/customcar/showroom/daly_fiero.html
there ya go!

[This message has been edited by dbjunkies (edited 03-10-2010).]

TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerDirect Link to This Post
Bass is more difficult to tell direction but not impossible by any means. When I'm jamming with my brothers I can always tell where the bass stack is. In my dads high dollar home theater I can pick out where the sub is. And in every car I've ever been in, from factory bose(blows) to low end aftermarket to high dollar professionally installed and tuned setups, I can tell where the bass is coming from. Is it much more difficult in the high dollar one? Yes. But not impossible. I for one will be putting the sub under the dash as near to center as possible. I'd like it equidistant from the componeents that will be doing all the imaging.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock