Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  advanced propulsion (Page 12)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
advanced propulsion by engine man
Started on: 01-07-2009 12:53 AM
Replies: 489
Last post by: JRP3 on 02-20-2009 07:31 PM
toddshotrods

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JRP3:
Here you go, this is what you want to look for, Hyster motor 325774, I think it's actually made by GE so it might be in other lifts besides Hyster.
http://www.autobatteryelectric.com/325774.htm
The end shaft might be different than this.

Awesome! Thanks

Second page in the thread - what a lucky guy!

Welcome to page twelve! The special of the day is electrifying!

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 01-29-2009).]

IP: Logged
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
i thought about regnative braking how about this on a dc or any put say 3 250 amp one wire altanators hooked up to the drive wheels in some fasion but and they are hooked to a relay so when you on the gas there just turning no power is being made or used due to there not energized you step on the brakes the relay trips conecting the altanators

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-30-2009).]

JRP3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
What people have done is get a high output alternator or rewind one for higher output, use an A/C pump pulley with a belt to the front motor shaft with a switch on the brake pedal that activates it when you hit the brake or a dash switch so you can control it when you want.
http://www.northrim.net/wya...v/ev_wiring_dia.html

Just remember that unless you do a lot of stop and go or have a lot of hills you won't get all that much back, maybe 10-15% or so, but it will make your brakes last longer.

[This message has been edited by JRP3 (edited 01-30-2009).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
if any of you are looking for an ac motor this is on ebay one is a 100 hp the othe i think is a 250 hp
http://cgi.ebay.com/RELIANC...3%3A2%7C294%3A503A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ELEC...3A1%7C293%3A2%7C294% 3A50
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
No good. Those are giant industrial motors, not EV traction motors. Too big and inefficient.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I am looking and in contact with a guy on 2 7 3/4 diamater motors for a fork lift he said they wigh about 80 Lbs each
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Just bought 2 of these for $325 all shipped to me

JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
Nice, great price for two, that looks like a newer version of the 7.5 Yale I have in my 6x6, though yours must be longer if it weighs 80lbs since mine is only around 60. You'll need to advance the brushes if they aren't already since it's probably setup to run at 48 volts from the factory. Does the shaft come out of the commutator end, (CE, or brush end), like mine? If so you'll need to support the motor from both ends since the big cutouts for the brushes weaken the comm end.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
it said 13 1/2 inches long by 7 3/4 diam set for 36 volts will need to advance the brushes like you said dont know what type of power i can get but i figure 2 is better than 1 and it is a yale

JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm, I don't see a shaft sticking out of either end, looks as if it might have a female slotted shaft which will make hooking anything to it more difficult.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2009 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
yes it has the sloted shaft but for the price I will deal with that
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Well got messing around today and was supprised by just taking copper and zinc some vinigar and salt and got about 4 volts with 1 penie and 1 zinc washer it showed amps but gota get a better multi metter i did get it up to 16 volts i realy like doing this stuff just fun to fool with

wow just found info about a zinc air battery to power electric cars there cheaper and lighter but there arent any refueling stations yet but even then refueling is fast

http://www.electric-fuel.co...electrode/index.html

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-31-2009).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Well got messing around today and was supprised by just taking copper and zinc some vinigar and salt and got about 4 volts with 1 penie and 1 zinc washer it showed amps but gota get a better multi metter[/URL]

Volts by itself doesn't mean much. Power is the key...remember that Watts are watts.

I can scoot across the carpet and discharge a few thousand volts but it's usually not enough power to do any damage... unless I happen to discharge that spark around the fuel nozzle of a gasoline powered vehicle. Then look out

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I see there realy keeping the zinc air battery fuel cell under raps it has enough power and light enough cheap enough they said and ready for production
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
Except they have a crap cycle life. Still need to work on that.
http://www.greencarcongress...nnogy-inve.html#more
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2009 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Lets hope one of the battries get going and become cheap enough
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
All we need is just one of the lithium companies to make a grab for market share by dropping their prices. Everyone will flock to them, forcing the other companies to follow. Of course they all know this and are holding out, for the moment. That may soon change.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
may be if some one could talk one of them into givning them some batteries and doing there car paint scheem in there logo and race across the country seting a new electric car record for speed and distance and geting like on the leno show and a few morning shows
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post
A123 sponsors KillaCycle and Altairnano sponsors CurrentEliminator, the top 2 electric drag racers in the world. The large format lithium manufacturers don't seem to be interested in promotion, probably since most of them are in China and are already selling almost all they can make. However as I mentioned there may be a big price break coming soon....
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I thought i saw Energizer had lithium polymer battries but wow the price is so high it needs to be one tenth what it is now but they are supper light for the power
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2009 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Ok i need to know how much power can i get from the pair of motors is there some sort of formula or is it just amps X volts divided by 746 and do any of you know how much HP a blower belt take like the ones on a top fuel car
PFF
System Bot
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post

Ok i need to know how much power can i get from the pair of motors is there some sort of formula or is it just amps X volts divided by 746 and do any of you know how much HP a blower belt take like the ones on a top fuel car

There is a difference between theoretical and actual power you can get. Jim from www.HiTorqueElectric.com who built my motor said mine should be able to go to 120 volts, but he went through the motor completely and checked all the windings and insulation, trued the comm on a lathe, put in new bearings and brushes, advanced the timing, etc. A slight flaw in insulation won't be a problem at 48 volts but might be a big problem at 120. It might be able to go higher, but remember higher voltage = higher RPM and I think 6000 or so is about the most brushed DC can take. Brushes start to float and arc, comm's fly apart, not good stuff. My guess is 500 amps at 120 volts with maybe 10-12 degrees brush advancement, but I'm no motor expert.
For the belt, go to Gates.com, they have a program called Design Flex Software which allows you to put in parameters of your belt design, hp, torque, pulley size and center distance, etc. If you get into it I have contact info for one of their techs who was very helpful in designing what I needed for my 6 wheeler.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks sounds like I should have the motors looked at and a few things done if you dont mind how much did the work on your motors cost

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 02-02-2009).]

toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
What are you going to put them in?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
going in 86 fiero GT engine is blown was going to do a 4.3 V6 but you all got me so excited about electric now i gota get rid of the 4.3 stuff i have I would like to buy the lithium polymer battries but way to much money i wanted to do a cross country trip promoting electric cars but like i said not enough money
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

...i wanted to do a cross country trip promoting electric cars but like i said not enough money

A promotional trip is a great idea. You need to think of involving others it would benefit A couple possibilities:
    * Build a trailer full of lead acid batteries and use the sides for "billboards"...
    * Try to get a sponsor to cover the cost of the lithium batteries, travel expenses, etc.

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 02-02-2009).]

JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post

Ok thanks sounds like I should have the motors looked at and a few things done if you dont mind how much did the work on your motors cost

I bought the motor already modded from Jim for $500. You could try to contact him through his site but he's sort of dropped off the earth lately so I don't know if he's still doing that any longer. You could probably get the motors re-shafted if you're doing a complete tear down which would make hooking them up much easier. You really have to find someone who knows their stuff, the average forklift motor re builder may not know about high voltage brush advancing and all that. I've talked to some motor re builders who had no clue what I was talking about.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2009 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking Energizer the car would be painted wraped in black and silver with lightning bolts and the Energizer bunny on th hood but Ive gota get them to give me battries and some bucks just to do it and try and get some talk show apperances i think I might put up a web site and ask for donations to
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

...Ive gota get them to give me battries and some bucks just to do it and try and get some talk show apperances i think I might put up a web site and ask for donations to

I don't want to pull the thread off track, but just one last quick note on this. If you decide to go for sponsorhip to do your cross country trip you have to change your thinking. When you approach a company for sponsorship you are not a car builder, hobbyist, etc. You have to be and think like an advertising agency at that point. You have to have a well thought-out, and carefully packaged, full-color, high-quality, printed, presentation. That presentation has to very quickly grab their attention and tell them exactly what you're going to do for them. BEFORE you ever ask for a thing they have to be sold on the opportunity.

I've done it before and have entertained the option of using it to build the 27 but am not sure I want to split my focus. You have to make a pretty serious commitment to proactively sell their products/services, which can possibly take a lot of attention and focus away from your own project. Since your cross-country tour idea expressed interest in promoting EVs I figured it might be an option for you.

...back to propulsion.
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post

I was thinking Energizer the car would be painted wraped in black and silver with lightning bolts and the Energizer bunny on th hood but Ive gota get them to give me battries and some bucks just to do it and try and get some talk show apperances i think I might put up a web site and ask for donations to
I haven't seen any batteries from Energizer that would work for an EV. Do you have a specific battery in mind?

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2009 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The Cool Fuel Roadtrip: http://www.coolfuelroadtrip.com/

It wasn't exclusively EV but the goal was to not directly use any fossil fuels.

Is anyone doing any development on motors like the multiphase AC motors used in the EV1?

JazzMan
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Yes you are right they must be approched in the correct way and Energizer i think would look good on the car but i dont think they make a battery that would work but i think that it needs to be some battery company that big
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Yes you are right they must be approched in the correct way and Energizer i think would look good on the car but i dont think they make a battery that would work but i think that it needs to be some battery company that big

Not necessarily. Smaller companies have to find more creative ways of marketing their products because they don't usually have multi-million dollar advertising budgets to work with. You can't buy much TV time with a few thousand dollars, but if someone had some really creative idea to get them major exposure, over a relatively long period of time, from sea to shining sea... Get my drift?

Also, think in their terms. If they give you five thousand dollars worth of product, that they have twenty-five hundred invested in, how many do they really need to sell to make the investment worth it, as compared to just pushing harder for a sell over the phone/internet? You have to convince them that you can sell their product better than they can - I wouldn't recommend using that line as a sales pitch though.

Edited - for a typo in my numbers - that didn't add up...

[This message has been edited by toddshotrods (edited 02-03-2009).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
are you in marketing you know how and I sure dont know how to approch them never was realy good try to rais money for my racing dont have the gift of gab
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2009 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

are you in marketing you know how and I sure dont know how to approch them never was realy good try to rais money for my racing dont have the gift of gab

Nope, it's just a part of what I do, and an important part of any business for that matter. I don't have that gift either - I really hate selling myself.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok ? at what stage of this should I aproch them for there product and should I set up a web site to try and rais moneys to do this I realy would like to try it and see if I can show every one the tech is here today I am kinda sick of this its 10 years out BS
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post

Ok ? at what stage of this should I aproch them for there product and should I set up a web site to try and rais moneys to do this I realy would like to try it and see if I can show every one the tech is here today I am kinda sick of this its 10 years out BS

You have a PM - back to propulsion...
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
you have a PM toddshotrods
JRP3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JRP3Click Here to visit JRP3's HomePageSend a Private Message to JRP3Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

Is anyone doing any development on motors like the multiphase AC motors used in the EV1?

JazzMan

I think one of the EV1 designers went on to develop the AC Propulsion unit, which went on to be modified and used in the Tesla.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
I don't see any more discussion of other systems, but I agree, our best hope is batteries and electric motors.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock