L67 swap, 88GT w/ getrag by BV MotorSports
Started on: 09-09-2008 12:19 PM
Replies: 99
Last post by: ca420 on 02-20-2009 11:57 AM
87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:

install my new 1/4 windows

What happened to the ones previously on the car? You want to sell them?

IP: Logged
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
They where the originals and had spider web cracks and the pass side had a chunk out of the leading edge.

On a side note.... IT STARTED TODAY!!!! It cranked on the first twist of the key. I let it run long enough to check for leaks. Yep fuel leak. D'oh!!!! Right where my new line meets the original line below the battery. Got to figure out what went wrong there. The car gets towed to the exhaust shop tomorow. I hope to drive it sometime tomorrow.
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

...I let it run long enough to check for leaks. Yep fuel leak. D'oh!!!! Right where my new line meets the original line below the battery. Got to figure out what went wrong there. The car gets towed to the exhaust shop tomorow. I hope to drive it sometime tomorrow.

ROFL. I started mine up for the first time at 7am after drinking and working on it all night and sure enough I had nicked the inner sleeve of my high pressure line. 20 seconds and it started shooting gas all over the motor. LOL!
I swapped mine in fast as well so I know you've pulling some hours working on it!
(those Fiero's catch on fire you know, do you got a fire extinguisher next to the passenger seat?)
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Bubba I am so tired and the Bronchitis thing isnt helping either. I am getting through this swap on pure will power. I quit early tonight since my ankle is swollen and my lungs are burning. Way to much humidity tonight. I need to put A/C in the garage!

I picked up a L251 hose for the pass side rad hose today, IIRC thats the one to get. I am going to have the muffler shop combine my pass side hard pipe (the one that ran just below the firewall side manifold on the 2.8) and the stock fiero t-stat housing when they do the exhaust tomorrow.
87_special

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post

They where the originals and had spider web cracks and the pass side had a chunk out of the leading edge.

On a side note.... IT STARTED TODAY!!!! It cranked on the first twist of the key. I let it run long enough to check for leaks. Yep fuel leak. D'oh!!!! Right where my new line meets the original line below the battery. Got to figure out what went wrong there. The car gets towed to the exhaust shop tomorow. I hope to drive it sometime tomorrow.

Do you still have them? Are they intact? I was actually thinking of pulling a mold off some to make something custom, but repro's are too expensive to experiment with.

Good job getting it to start. Man you work Damn Fast!

-Joseph

------------------

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3100HO (Ported LIM, Ported Heads, Competion Valve Job, LS6 Springs, 3500 UIM, LX5 65mm TB) / 4t60e full manual / ZZP shift kit / 7730 ecm Emulated w/Ostrich - Soon to be bottle fed!

JesseM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JesseMSend a Private Message to JesseMDirect Link to This Post
That's looking real nice. I noticed one thing though, are you going to upgrade the brakes? They just look a little small for those rims and monster pushing it from the rear

Edit: grammar : /

[This message has been edited by JesseM (edited 10-08-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust, coolant and dogbone all finished today. Once I fix the fuel leak I am going for a shake down run tomorrow. Pics later.

The 1/4 windows got trashed when we removed them.... it was kinda fun.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Drove the car today. Not as fast as I had imagined it would be. 9.5-10psi of boost max. I thought it would be more (11.5) with the 3.4 pulley. Also have a funny idle problem. Gonna hook the MODEUS to it tomorrow to check the TPS. Also my CEL doesnt work. I remember I had to jump a wire from one harness to the other by the ECU on my 4.9 swap. Anyone know what I am taling about and what needs to happen?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Ok here are some of the pre clean up pics as well as the final "to do" list.

We had to cut the bottom of the trunk out to clear the 3" inch exhaust. I wasnt too happy about this but what can ya do? We also used some of the original coolant system hard pipes in order to use as little custom rubber hoses as possible. I had an L251 hose so we used bits of it and the hard pipe to tie in all the coolant lines. I still need to go back and add some braces as well as fill the trunk and carpet it.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

mini dogbone

coolant fill

exhaust

single SS 3.5inch tip

Now it needs a bath!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Wow a nearly complete 3800sc swap in 1 week and I have like no interest, eh?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

The swaps are just so common these days there is nothing special about them anymore. Not saying your swap isn't any good there is just so many being done these days. I am impressed and glad you did it so I could look to see what the harness looked like from FI Tech.
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Drove the car today. Not as fast as I had imagined it would be. 9.5-10psi of boost max. I thought it would be more (11.5) with the 3.4 pulley. Also have a funny idle problem. Gonna hook the MODEUS to it tomorrow to check the TPS. Also my CEL doesnt work. I remember I had to jump a wire from one harness to the other by the ECU on my 4.9 swap. Anyone know what I am taling about and what needs to happen?

boost does not = power on a m90... The manual car I work on in town makes a whole 7-8psi with a 3.2 pulley...

Who only knows what that thing is doing when you put the hammer down, a few small things off in the pcm will rob you of 50whp in a hurry, in the form of KR and rich afr..
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
We are gonna hook the MODEUS and do some datalogs. I am thinking of buying a knock-link and hardwire it in.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

... Also my CEL doesnt work. I remember I had to jump a wire from one harness to the other by the ECU on my 4.9 swap. Anyone know what I am taling about and what needs to happen?

C2(clear) pin 5 brn/wht Malfunction Indicator Lamp control connect to C of the Fiero C203 connector (check engine lamp circuit)
(not sure what model and year your pcm was flashed to though, this is a 99gtp)

Hey, congrats on the speed swap!

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 10-11-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, also my trunk release stopped working as well.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Steve. Get the bugs out but don't worry about the horsepower. Its there, it just has to be unleashed. If you don't have "seat of the pants" power it sounds like your tune is off or your fuel pump can't keep up. As Darkhorizon has indicated a tune that is off can rob you of 50 HP or more. When I first did my install I thought that the 3800SC was slow. Tuned out after we did some scans that the MAF curve (fueling) was totally out of wack due to a PCM program that we tried from some "expert" tuner in Dallas TX who's name I will not mention. Now that we have the tuning software and have taken charge of the tuning task , after just a couple of reflashes to the PCM, it feels like we picked up 100 HP and we are not done yet. Tuning is CRITICAL, especially with these engine
I would stongly recommend that you invest in HP Tuners VCM tuning suite. The scanner can provide engine analysis data to a fine degree and the editor is very user friendly. Wideband O2 sensors can also be a great aid to getting the WOT (PE numbers) right.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

GT-maniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT-maniacSend a Private Message to GT-maniacDirect Link to This Post

Oh we're definitely interested. Your swap is pretty close to what mine will be like. Only differences are that I won't have the dogbone bracket that you have and I used the AC delete pulley to get rid of my compressor. I'm curious though as to what you did with the coolant problem ? I see that you plugged off the the one port into the water pump but can't really see what you did with the other port into the intake manifold ?.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I tapped it 3/4 NPT and added a 5/8ths barb fitting. Then I tied in the heater hose to it using a 90deg hose I picked up from autozone. I just walked back in the hise section and looked till I found something that looked right.

I am also going through my old 2.8 parts. I have tons of nearly new sensors, ported manifolds, 24lb injectors, MSD coil, rebuilt heads etc I need to sell off to help pay for this swap.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-11-2008).]

87_special

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
Hell yeah! Good job on the swap! That was a very fast swap!

Hopefully I can drive over there soon and see it in person. Maybe I can bring another Fiero owner with me. He has a very mint red 88gt. We can have a Mini-Meet. haha!

I'll shoot you a PM when the time comes and maybe we can set a date. Im starting my turbo build soon and so it will be after that is done.

-Joseph
ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Direct Link to This Post
Did your harness come pretty much plug and play? Thinking about having them make me one.

[This message has been edited by ca420 (edited 02-20-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock