Started on: 09-09-2008 12:19 PM
Replies: 99
Last post by: ca420 on 02-20-2009 11:57 AM
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Yeah its made specifically for the 3800sc swap. $650 shipped is what they cost from Import Image.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 09-19-2008).]

IP: Logged
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2008 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:
The orange sensor on the side of the oil pan- I assume its and oil level or temp sensor. Is it used in the swap or can I remove and plug it?

BV your probably past this part but I took out my oil level sensor as I didn't want to use it (by the way you can hook it up to the shift light or whatever you want if you want to wire it into the harness) I was going to plug it but couldn't find something suitable so I cut it off flush (the internals) with the plug only to find out that that would make it leak oil through the center. So lesson learned I ordered a new one from rockauto just to plug the hole! Any how I just didn't want you to make the same mistake.
Nice to see your swap moving along. If you haven't ridden in a 3.8sc Fiero you've got a treat coming soon.
PM sent.
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2008 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Are you still selling the turbo kit for the 2.8? What does it come with? How much hp/tq did the car make with the turbo 2.8?

BTW good luck with the swap!

------------------

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2008 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Bubba TBH I have only driven one 3800sc fiero. Actually it was a series 1 sc in a finale kit that was being sold by Gary's Customs a long long long time ago. Seemed to pull ok IIRC.

tinton yeah I sold the turbo kit. I removed it and I couldnt believe how slow my stock 2.8 felt. Wow....
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Ok some more parts arrived:
3.4 sc pulley
summit 3" U & J bends
summit 3"in/3" out offset muffler
GM quick connect to AN adapters (to run -6 and -8 fuel lines)
Thermo Tec heat insulation mat

Still waiting on the harness and a bracket from Rockcrawl.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

...summit 3" U & J bends
summit 3"in/3" out offset muffler...

BV here's a shot of my exhaust utilizing some of the Summit bends and a couple of the Summit 3" in/out chambered mufflers. (Pacesetter flex from Summit)

Edit: Pulled down the pics because BV has seen them and this ain't my build thread.

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 09-28-2008).]

87_special

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
Hey BV, I just noticed that you are in PC! I'm in Pensacola! Maybe a small road trip is in order. I'd love to see your Fiero after you finish the swap. Maybe we can set something up and I can make a day of it.

Anyways, good luck with the swap. You wouldnt happen to have a spare Fiero Getrag laying around? I just got my Fiero on the road after my 3100/4t60e swap and I really want a 5-speed.

-Joseph
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Nice ehaust, how loud is it?

I dont have a spare getrag but I know where one is. The guy wants a small fortune for it though... $500.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

...how loud is it?

Well it's a little bit of everything but mostly it's loud. When you first start it up it's way loud. The 3" setup makes it very resonant. When I first start it up in the garage with the garage door open I can hear it's bass notes all the way in the farthest bedroom. Then after the idle settles down it's very mellow. The middle RPM range sounds very throaty and I think somewhat exotic. The higher RPM range is not as smooth and more raspy but not intolerable. I plan on putting on a set of the dual resonator hot tips from Summit (I think Hedman makes them) to tone down the boom and rasp. I think the main drone problem is from using the 3.5" tips which act like echo chambers. It's really just at it's loudest at warm-up. WOT you hear nothing but the CAI and supercharger.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I hope mine isnt too loud. The turbo 2.8 was pretty quiet. Even more so than the stock 2.8v6.

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
The Spintech sounds pretty good on a 3800SC and isn't too loud.
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Got a few more bits to complete the fuel line to -6.

L67's fuel line side:
Russel p/n's
640850 3/8" GM quick connect to AN
640860 5/16" GM quick connect to AN

Fiero v6 fuel lines (fuel rail hard lines meet with the stock rubber lines just below the battery)
Earl's p/n's
991955 AN to Metric Adapter Fittings
991954 AN to Metric Adapter Fittings

Now I just need to get about 8ft of Aeroquip's Starlite hose
http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/prodinfo.html
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2008 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Little more progress. I got the PWR steering delete sorted aand the belts routed. I still have to weld some flat plate on the dogbone to strengthen it.

Then I get to rip it all back aprt to start cleaning and painting.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
any more progress?

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 09-28-2008).]

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Nope, nadda darn thing. Once I get the wiring harness... its on like Donkey Kong!
Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone make a dog bone mount for this swap?
Does it use the stock length dog bone?

Thank you.

------------------
My Car Site
www.flexyourrights.com
Signatures are a waste of bandwidth!

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I think WCF, FastFieros and PR make one but I didnt have any luck with them getting back to me so I made me own. Length TBD.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Primaris:

Does anyone make a dog bone mount for this swap?
Does it use the stock length dog bone?

Thank you.

You can make your own for about $75 or so if you have the GTP dogbone, buy a $45 tensinioer and a grinder or mill.
87_special

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
Hey BV,

You mind if I see the car in person after you finish it? I've never ridden in a 3800sc Fiero and you're not very far away. I may even be turbo by then.

-Joseph

------------------

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3100HO (Ported LIM, Ported Heads, Competion Valve Job, LS6 Springs, 3500 UIM, LX5 65mm TB) / 4t60e full manual / ZZP shift kit / 7730 ecm Emulated w/Ostrich - Soon to be bottle fed!

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2008 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Sure. Watch this space for when its done. Good news, my harness will be shipped tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Wiring harness arrived today... cough cough... darn I think I am going to be sick tomorrow and not be able to go to work. Swap has officially started!
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Where are you guys installing the Fieros coolant temp sensor for the gauge?
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Where are you guys installing the Fieros coolant temp sensor for the gauge?

Hey BV, cool you got your harness and the swap is on.

Check your stock 3800 coolant temp sender. Does it have 3 male contact's or 2? If it has three your in luck. Now check your connector. Once again 3 female contacts your in luck. Now one might be black. That's your ground to the PCM. (It has it's own pin, mine was Blue/C1/Pin12). And one might be yellow. That's your ECT sensor signal to the PCM. (It has it's own pin, mine was Clear/C2/Pin26). Now if your in luck there is one more wire. Mine terminated in the old harness because the PCM told the Buick Regal's dash what the temp was. So I dug it out a few inches from the connector. Now the lucky wire might be green. This wire connects directly to C500/Pin C2/Dark green w/ white stripe. (could be V6 or year specific). That C500 wire goes directly to your gauge.
Now if you don't have a three prong connector here is the GM part# thanks to Ryan @ Sinister Performance. GM#10096181
Carquest has both the sensor and the pigtail if you need it. PM me for part number's on the carquest parts. Hopefully you already have what you need.
You can not splice into just the yellow wire if the thought crossed your mind.

Anyhow this is how mine is wired and it works like a charm. Well of course it does, "I'm a drag racing pro!" (just see my sig)

------------------
'86 Fiero GT, 3800SC 4 speed 4.10:1, Mods: Downpipe delete, 4"CAI,...(that's all, I ran out of money)
Best 1/4 mile: 14.34@100.52mph
I'm a drag racing pro, just ask my wife.
Drag Racing Tip of the Month: "Try to hit your rev limiter in every gear, this will actually help increase your E.T., Happy Racing." -Bubbajuju
Video Proof My Car Runs 14's

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Wiring harness arrived today... cough cough... darn I think I am going to be sick tomorrow and not be able to go to work. Swap has officially started!

Can you post a picture of the harness layed out?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to have a look. My harness came with a connector marked "3800" CTS and another for "Fiero" CTS-gauge.

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
LOL so funny about the cough cough thing. Today I went in and was selected for a random drug test. Got to the office and the DR said to hell with the drug screen, you have severe bronchitis. Yay... sucks to be me.
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

LOL so funny about the cough cough thing. Today I went in and was selected for a random drug test. Got to the office and the DR said to hell with the drug screen, you have severe bronchitis. Yay... sucks to be me.

One of those "careful what you wish for things"... instant karma rocks!
Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Bubbajuju

548 posts
Member since Sep 2007

Wow, now that's a clean harness.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bubbajuju:

Wow, now that's a clean harness.

Looks clean--Will be watching to see how it lays out on the motor once installed.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Thats an injection technology harness. Its 100% GM color coded & weather pack'd just like OEM. How it looks... well its as pretty as stock I guess.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-04-2008).]

87_special

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
You should pick up some of the "gm recall tape" for the harness. I'm not sure how you're routing the harness but, it gets very hot by the firewall on a stock 2.8L. I can only imagine that that area may be even hotter with the 3800sc.

Just some advice.

-Joseph

------------------

1987 Fiero SE/Fastback - 3100HO (Ported LIM, Ported Heads, Competion Valve Job, LS6 Springs, 3500 UIM, LX5 65mm TB) / 4t60e full manual / ZZP shift kit / 7730 ecm Emulated w/Ostrich - Soon to be bottle fed!

PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I actually have some hanging on my peg board.
Primaris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PrimarisClick Here to visit Primaris's HomePageSend a Private Message to PrimarisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

You can make your own for about $75 or so if you have the GTP dogbone, buy a $45 tensinioer and a grinder or mill.

Please check your PM's. Thank you.

------------------
My Car Site
www.flexyourrights.com
Signatures are a waste of bandwidth!

BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Engine is in... I am exhausted... more later
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
pics:

My garage is trashed!!! AAAUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!!!!!

Your garage is in perfect condition compared to my shop.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Note from yesterday. Firebird 3800 flywheel bolts do NOT fit the SPEC flywheel. They are about 1/2 inch too short.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post

BV MotorSports

4821 posts
Member since May 2001
Bit more progress. This is where things seem to slow down due to all the tedious odds and ends.

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I am confused... whats left to do?
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Fuel lines
10g wire to ALT
Coolant fill point
Exhaust
Mount the PCM
OIL/COOLANT fill
Shorten the dog bone
install my new 1/4 windows

and a few few more odds and ends.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 10-06-2008).]

Previous Page | Next Page